PDA

View Full Version : Best airfield for Night Circuits?

firebird_uk
18th Apr 2008, 08:41
With most of the smaller GA airfield now shut before official night, completing the night flying required for my CPL is becoming tricky. Airfields like Southend are open, but are expensive (£16 per circuit).

Anyone know of better options? Don't mind travelling as we can do it as a Nav towards the CPL.

FB.

MK10
18th Apr 2008, 09:43
Having spent 40k + getting to where you are i,m surprised £16 a circuit phases you?
Using whatever is more "local" to you has to make sense. Some i know have had to travel away , stay in hotels etc....etc... to get the night rating.
Come to Scotland in the winter we can do night ratings during daytime.
Best of luck for getting it done anyway.

MK10

WylieCoyote
18th Apr 2008, 09:53
Leiceister used to have one night a week and from what I remember we were only ever charged for the one circuit,no idea how much as it was the student who payed.Great for night flying as the ground lighting(i.e from homes) isn't huge so it good experience for the student.
Wellesbourne had a similiar set-up but I used Coventry most of the time who were expensive but very heplfull turning runway lights off etc and even using the light gun when it worked!They would do the odd SRA if time permitted aswell.
Liverpool will I've heard accomodate night flying but as with Coventry you will have to work around the commercial traffic which can mean lots of orbiting. I always found that the Coventry area was quite good as you had Daventry and Honiley vors to use for the Nav with just enough traffic about to make it interesting without been to much,although it was closed I always got the student to try and find Sywell,not so easy in the dark!
Hope that helps.

Piper.Classique
18th Apr 2008, 12:07
do it in france
Plenty of airfields near the coast.
I do instrument approaches at Caen and Cherbourg
Take a look at the cartes Vac on the SIA website for opening times
Caen only let you do night circuits when the ats is there, up to 20.00 UTC

Camp Freddie
18th Apr 2008, 20:10
concur with coventy good place, some years ago did all the night flying for CPL in 1 night.

was good, whats the cost of few circuits when you are paying more than a grand anyhow

Brilliant Stuff
19th Apr 2008, 13:49
Blackpool is also an alternative.

jemax
20th Apr 2008, 09:20
Peterborough Conington used to do a Thursday night 'til 9pm, nice friendly place.

Billywizz
20th Apr 2008, 12:06
Piper.classique wrote

Night ccts?
do it in france
Plenty of airfields near the coast.
I do instrument approaches at Caen and Cherbourg
Take a look at the cartes Vac on the SIA website for opening times
Caen only let you do night circuits when the ats is there, up to 20.00 UTC

not much use for a single engine heli!!
No single VFR at night or have the rules changed