PDA

View Full Version : Garmin SVT (Synthetic Vision Technology)

HELOFAN
18th Apr 2008, 00:38
So now that SVT has been signed off (FAA), would more G1000's be fitted to helicopters?

What helicopters are fitted with the G1000 as standard/optional feature?

Does SVT appeal to the masses ?

IMC IFR & night ops is looking a whole lot better to me.

Do you think that there may be a lot more inadvertant VFR-IFR events?

From what I see it looks pretty handy.
Any down sides that are not obvious to the glass eyed?

HF

GeorgeMandes
18th Apr 2008, 03:50
Speaking with the Garmin folks at Sun N Fun, the Garmin AHRS is not certified for use in an helicopter, and they have no plans to certify it for rotorcraft near term because they are so backed up with other projects. As a result, G1000 is in no helicopters. The G600 with synthetic vision would be a terrific retrofit option for helicopters if Garmin would get the AHRS certified.

George

Graviman
19th Apr 2008, 08:29
The foundation of SVT is the depiction of 3D terrain, which is displayed on the PFD(s). Land, water and sky are clearly differentiated with shading and textures that are similar to the topographical colors found on the multi-function display (MFD) moving map. SVT works seamlessly to alert pilots of potential ground hazards by displaying terrain and obstacles which pose a threat to the aircraft with appropriate TAWS alert coloring. Those flying with a TAWS-B enabled (optional) G1000 avionics suite also have the benefit of receiving voice alerts. Terrain warnings are also depicted on the MFD with a traditional, color-coded “X” symbol. If the aircraft does not have TAWS-B enabled, reduced capability AC 23-26 compliant terrain alerting is included with SVT.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/040708.html
http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/graphics/svt_xl.jpg

Brilliant Stuff
19th Apr 2008, 12:37
Now that is lovely.

HELOFAN
21st Apr 2008, 14:38
I guess that would be why I could not find it in any a/c.

I would have though it be more prevalant to helicopters than fixed wing seeing as helicopters are closer to terrain more often than fixed wing.

Yeah it does look pretty sweet though.

shame