PDA

View Full Version : Paying as a passenger while training?

KNIEVEL77
17th Apr 2008, 17:30
Another question i'd like to ask is:

My flying school offers pleasure flights, charter flights and the opportunity to pay as a passenger to travel each morning with our local radio's traffic and travel reporter.

In between my PPL(H) lessons, would it benefit me to pay to be a passenger every now and again with our T & T reporter just to get more experience of flying, or should I stick with saving that money for my regular lessons?

All opinions appreciated.

EI-ROC
17th Apr 2008, 17:36
Depends how much they charge... :p

timex
17th Apr 2008, 17:53
It would certainly be an eye opener with MM.........

Kiwi63
17th Apr 2008, 18:56
Complete rip off mate. Save your money for your lessons. If you are not manipulating the controls yourself, don't pay for it.

helimutt
17th Apr 2008, 19:10
If the school is up for it, as you are a student, you could always ask if you could have a freebie flight one trip to see how its done. You're spending enough on a PPL(H) as it is and knowing the owner, you might just get lucky if you ask nicely. :ok:

Save your money for your own flying or books/equipment etc.
You'll have plenty of opportunity in the future.

KNIEVEL77
17th Apr 2008, 19:13
Timex,

Not sure how to take your comment :),

Im sure MM could teach me a thing or two?

EI ROC,

Don't think its a great deal per flight!

Kiwi 63,

Perhaps that might be the best way, save the money for lessons, just thought I might benefit from a bit of 'hands off' experience now and again.

4ftHover
17th Apr 2008, 19:25
K77

When you get round to start thinking about Nav and if its not too expensive it might be beneficial to take a map up and start looking for landmarks and nav features in your local area.

timex
18th Apr 2008, 08:03
K77, you would see an R22 being used by a very competant user and not just on a flying training sortie. You would also see what the A/C is capable of.

heli-mad
18th Apr 2008, 08:17
Go for it :ok:

I was doing traffic reports on a R44 and we used to sell the seats...It is good experience for a PPL to see how a CPL is abused by the radio people:\

..but as suggested before try to get a freebie. I used to fly with one seat empty some times..:cool:

Cheers

H-M