PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a glider, got some questions that i hope you can answer?

glidey
17th Apr 2008, 16:27
Hi Guys

I am new here and so glad that I found this forum

I have always wanted to get into flying

My plan is to buy a sea plane and a glider, but i will stick with just this thread for the time being.

I always wanted to get into gliding but didn't like how they had to be towed into the air. Now that i am much more serious for getting into the sport i was searching the net for all sorts of models and found that you can get motor gliders which i really like the sound of, as now i can self launch which is really amazing not having to rely on someone else towing me in a car or motor glider.

I have been looking into the urban air lambada and the TL sting which are both made by Czech builders. I am based in the United Kingdom so buying something in Europe would be better as i don't want to be stinged on import tax and duty fees.

I have a budget of no more than £75,000 for each plane, i plan to buy a sea plane and a glider.

When i was in school i was in the cadet force and at age 16 i flew with the RAF in a chipmunk and bulldog, i was given control of the plane for about a minute and since then i have wanted to fly but didn't know that gliders were not so expensive. I would need to get a license. So first question. Where in the United Kingdom can i take my license, how much and how long is the course?

The two motor gliders that i mentioned above are LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) category planes and the rule in the USA is if the horizontal cruise speed is no more than 138 mph and the maximum take off weight is only 1320 pounds then you only need to take ten hours worth of lessons to gain your license. I saw in the USA the price for those ten hours of lessons would come to $1500. Do you know if this same LSA rule applies in the United Kingdom?

In the USA they say this LSA rule also applies to seaplanes.

I want a motor glider so i can fly all over europe for that would i need another license?

My plan is to make trips in a motor glider from London to Paris, and London to Spain, London to Germany.

Sorry for all the questions but i do hope somebody can answer them as i really want to get into this sport.

Any help much appreciated

Many many thanks

glidey
18th Apr 2008, 18:07
anyone can answer please?

ChampChump
18th Apr 2008, 20:10
Start here: http://www.gliding.co.uk/

That should have all you need.

Flying_Anorak
18th Apr 2008, 23:55
As a gliding instructor, I STRONGLY recommend that you follow the advice given previously and go to the BGA website (www.gliding.co.uk) and arrange a trial lesson at your nearest club.

Don't even think about buying yourself a glider or indeed an aircraft of any sort until you are sure you like it and most importantly, you are competent, legal and SAFE.

My club offers pre-booked trial lessons at weekends if you are in the Oxfordshire area.

"Soaring - its what wings were invented for!"

Humaround
19th Apr 2008, 08:09
Quite agree with these comments.

Not wanting to be discouraging at all, gliding's fantastic, but think - would you buy a Ferrari before passing your driving test?

You will have plenty of opportunity to think carefully about what types you want to fly and own in the process of learning to fly - no substitute for personal experience.

And there are some basic misconceptions in your post - there is no Gliding License in the UK, regulation is through BGA-approved instructors operating in clubs.

There is no direct equivalent of the LSA license, in the UK it is a microlight license and there is lots of good info here:

http://www.bmaa.org

all the best

glidey
19th Apr 2008, 20:39
Hello Guys

Many thanks for the replies

I do plan on taking a course before i buy a plane

I have been reading up on those links posted, lots of useful information, thanks for that.

I would like to know something, once you take your PPL then can you fly all aircrafts and other air vehicles?

thanks in advance

will5023
19th Apr 2008, 21:27
Hi Glidey, as far as your powered side of motor gliding is concerned, you can do your SLMG(self launching motor glider) course at some gliding clubs, go to the BGA website and find out. Alternately you can do your PPL/NPPL first at any approved school(airfield), costs £3000-4000. Would recomemnd you look into it first before blowing 75K ! You can buy your aircraft and train in that if you so wish(powered) and save hiring costs, but find your instructor first. Good luck.

Will.

micromalc
20th Apr 2008, 14:48
hi,
i did my NPPL slmg course at oxfordshiresportflying (enstone airfield).
Great fun, learnt in a slingsby T61f and a Super Dimona. Two very different aircraft both good fun to fly. They also have a Grob 109. Give it a try.

ringo_1
21st Apr 2008, 21:31
Just a quick note that the NPPL/SLMG route won't allowe you to fly all over europe. For that you'll need the PPL/TMG.

glidey
22nd Apr 2008, 04:00
thanks for your replies much appreciated

what a useful forum this really is

OpenCirrus619
23rd Apr 2008, 13:56
Where abouts in the UK are you? Perhaps people could suggest actual clubs you could visit for more information.

OC619