PDA

View Full Version : Oban/Glenforsa News

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Capt Whisky Whisky
17th Apr 2008, 15:09
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/TCH_photo/04-17-2008033641PM.jpg?t=1208444909

WW

Three Yellows
17th Apr 2008, 16:27
CWW,

Thanks for posting that.

As there is little real news from ABC, can you confirm that Glenforsa and Oban are operating normally?

3Y

Will88
17th Apr 2008, 16:39
I was in Oban two days ago and it seemed to operating pretty normally, flew over Glenforsa as well - it was covered in sheep!

Rod1
17th Apr 2008, 18:02
Any news on who is going to replace the gentleman?

Rod1

Glenforsa Flyer
17th Apr 2008, 18:25
can you confirm that Glenforsa and Oban are operating normally?

There have several aircraft into Glenforsa this week, we have had lots of dry, sunny weather so tht the runway is in very good shape.

GF

Glenforsa Flyer
17th Apr 2008, 20:42
Anyone know why the original thread was pulled?

GF

znww5
17th Apr 2008, 20:50
Maybe because it was so huge that most of us lost the will to live when reading it? :)

PPRuNe Radar
17th Apr 2008, 21:04
Yes, and I'll quote one of our senior PPRuNe Admins:

Loads of tit for tat sniping posts with no content over the last couple of pages.

The original thread had drifted far from the original aspects of whether Oban was open for GA or not. It had become a thread solely consisting of the two sides baiting each other and addressing personal issues rather than those of GA. At the end of its life it added nothing to Private Flying, and as nothing new concerning GA operations at Oban was forthcoming, we put it to sleep.

This new thread will be similarly managed, but from the start. Factual reports on developments at Oban, as they affect GA, are welcome. User reports on their experiences when using Oban are welcome. Press cuttings on news concerning Oban, its licencing status, and any other news associated with the airfield and its operators and services are welcome (provided appropriate copyright acknowledgements made). Questions from those wishing to use Oban are welcome, as are the answers. Views on the impact of developments, or what users would like to see happen regarding the future of the airfield, are also welcome.

Posts indulging in 'Paul Keegan vs Peter Jackson' type battles which become personal, as witnessed on the other thread, will fall under the 'tit for tat sniping' banner. We've seen enough on PPRuNe to know about the conflict which exists between the various parties in the Council and at TLC. We've seen various posters champion their favourite side in the conflict. And it was going no where, except around in circles.

Let's keep the focus on Oban and GA, not individuals.

Glenforsa Flyer
17th Apr 2008, 21:11
Maybe because it was so huge that most of us lost the will to live when reading it? ZNWW5

Yes, but for those of us who's livelyhoods and flying have been disrupted for the last couple of years by this debacle, we still need to keep abreast of events via the only source of information available (pprune).

GF

MetOffice
20th Apr 2008, 08:26
From this week's Corncrake Magazine:

We can report another delay for the start of the Air Service in Colonsay, in spite of the removal of hundreds of tons of soil. The final CAA inspection is now rumoured for mid May - and scheduled services cannot begin before THAT, but while we wait, the Seaplane service between Central Glasgow, Oban Bay and, now the island of Mull appears to be going great guns and is a front page story in the Oban Times.

Capt Whisky Whisky
23rd Apr 2008, 17:49
http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/images/download/3202702News ReleaseArgyll and Bute Council, Kilmory, Lochgilphead, Argyll, PA31 8RT, Tel: 01546 604276, Fax: 01546 604346, E-Mail: [email protected] ([email protected]), Web: www.argyll-bute.gov.uk (http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/) Issue Date: 18/04/2008Press Release ID: PR210/2008 PLANS FOR ARGYLL AIRFIELDS MOVE FORWARDArgyll and Bute Council is moving forward with the licensing process for its three airfields, with visits from CAA inspectors due to take place during the week beginning 12 May.

All the civil engineering, buildings and physical issues at the airfields are now resolved, and although there are still some outstanding legal issues between the Council and TLC Ltd, these are expected to be resolved soon, or else the council will seek an alternative way of operating from the CAA.

Argyll and Bute Council’s Transportation Spokesperson, Councillor Duncan MacIntyre, said: “Things are moving forward nicely, and we are now able to clearly see a successful conclusion to the project, which will see scheduled flights from Oban to Coll, Colonsay and Tiree through a contract with Highland Airways and support from the Scottish Government.

“These flights will allow school pupils from the islands to spend weekends with their families and provide a fast alternative to the existing ferry services for residents, businesses and visitors alike.”

Councillor MacIntyre also paid tribute to the Project Development Manager, Peter Jackson, who is leaving to take up a new post elsewhere. Councillor MacIntyre said: “The Council would not have managed to take the project this far without Peter’s input, and, on behalf of the Council, I would like to offer him our sincere thanks and wish him well in his future career.”

The post of Development Manager is expected to be filled shortly. Issued by Aileen Maclennan on 18/04/2008 09:39:55

Capt Whisky Whisky
23rd Apr 2008, 17:52
PRESS RELEASE - Argyll Air Services - 21 April 2008

From

Total Logistics Concepts (TLC) Aviation Support, ObanAirport.

Managing Director of TLC Paul Keegan says in response to A&BC’s press release of 18 April 2008:

“TLC are pleased that despite running years behind the original planned service start date, the council has continued optimism for the implementation of scheduled services to the islands of Coll, Colonsay and Tiree from Oban. The huge sums of money spent on the project, nearly £9M to date, demand no less.

The fundamental issues with licensing the airfields, especially Oban, have been made clear to the council some time ago by the CAA. The matter of the lack of garaging for the Oban fire vehicle, while not yet resolved and a basic licensing condition should eventually be sorted, though not without further additional expense. The council’s inability to correct its obvious management failings has been the major obstacle in moving forward with licensing. Undoubtedly the early departure of the council’s Development Manager will assist negotiations with the CAA.

It is with regret we notice the council’s continued attempts to divert attention from their project failures to date by pursuing fruitless legal actions against this company. Hopefully their recent court defeats, funded entirely by council taxpayer’s money, will let them understand the pointlessness of pursuing harassment tactics in the courts, where the rule of law always applies.

Once more I can assure the council of TLC’s complete commitment to assist them with positive and constructive comment using our widely acknowledged experience in order to bring their project to a workable conclusion.”

L. Paul Keegan

21 April 2008

Paul

L Paul Keegan
Total Logistics Concepts
Aviation Support
Oban Airport
North Connel
Oban

Glenforsa Flyer
26th Apr 2008, 14:21
It would be nice to be reassured that no undue pressure has been placed on Pprune by any organisation or individual that would influence what is allowed to appear on this this thread.

I note that the original long running thread on the subject of Oban has been completely removed.

GF

BRL
26th Apr 2008, 14:38
I can assure you that there has been no presure from outside to close the thread.

The thread was closed whilst I was away in Canada recently by one of our admins here. Although I done everything possible to keep the original open and be fair with it, I believe the decision to close the original was the right one.

This thread has already been moderated extensively to just keep postings here to do with news concerning Oban.

You won't believe this but we have even been accused of encouraging scurrilous postings!!!!!!

Even worse is the fact that we have also been blamed for the departure of PJ and we must be held accountable!!!! How about that for a laugh! ;)

Glenforsa Flyer
26th Apr 2008, 14:45
Even worse is the fact that we have also been blamed for the departure of PJ and we must be held accountable!!!!

Who by?

GF

BRL
26th Apr 2008, 17:31
The GA community is very close-knit in the UK. I know a lot of people both here in the UK as well as abroad.

Rumours start, word gets around and I get to know quite a bit of what is happening about most things.

Again, it is a small world, and people have to be careful what they say and to who they say it to.....

Glenforsa Flyer
27th Apr 2008, 09:31
and people have to be careful what they say and to who they say it to.....

Is'nt that why we have Pprune?

I think has Pprune provided a valuable service in preventing the odious Mr Jackson from carrying out his Machiavellian subterfuge outwith the public gaze.

I do believe that this was a definite factor in his early departure.

Many thanks

Glenforsa Flyer

Cam Lobe
28th Apr 2008, 11:10
Argyll's planned air service still stalled

Posted by John Patrick (http://www.inveraray.org.uk/xn/detail/u_1y8dkb0mwqy8t) on 25 April 2008 at 3:57pm
← Previous Post (http://www.inveraray.org.uk/profiles/blog/show?id=1977622%3ABlogPost%3A4332) | Next Post → (http://www.inveraray.org.uk/profiles/blog/show?id=1977622%3ABlogPost%3A4335) View Blog Posts (http://www.inveraray.org.uk/profiles/blog/list?user=1y8dkb0mwqy8t)

The Civil Aviation Authority remains unable to grant a licence to the Council for scheduled flights from Oban to the isles of Coll, Colonsay and Tiree. All the physical issues are resolved but the legal stand-off between the Council and Total Logistics Concepts (TLC), the fuel supplier based at the airstrip, continues.

This situation has seen admitted forced entry and damage to the site periphery; an act of potentially lethal sabotage by person unknown to the fuel supply of the strip’s fire engine, refusals to comply with the legally necessary checking in of all personnel going airside at the strip and threats of legal action on both sides.

The fire engine sabotage led to a scene worthy of Dad’s Army. With a private plane coming in for an emergency landing with its undercarriage auto-release seized, the fire crew, unable to start the engine of the appliance, attended the scene in a pick up truck and a minibus, wielding domestic fire extinguishers. Luckily the pilot managed to lower the gear manually - or farce could have become tragedy caused by someone quite deliberately.

Read the full story at For Argyll.com (http://forargyll.com/2008/04/25/argylls-planned-air-services-still-stalled-by-pantomime-conflict/)

Capt Whisky Whisky
28th Apr 2008, 16:06
Lots of flying at Glenforsa and Oban at the weekend, including a contingent from White Waltham.

Good to see.:D

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/TCH_photo/CaptainF--kwitsBandofBrothers-1.jpg?

WW

dan design
29th Apr 2008, 11:37
I read the article on this AIE (the local enterprise board) sponsored site - seemed even more libellous than anything written on the last late lamented Oban thread :=.

Am suprised the monitors have not deleted CAM LOBE's post.

Mike Cross
29th Apr 2008, 12:34
It's a good defence if you can prove that what was said is true. Which bit of the story do you claim is untrue?

The only thing I can see is the "legally necessary checking in of all personnel going airside" bit. Not sure where the law says that but it may well be covered under ICAO Annex 17, which is part of the Chicago Convention, to which the UK is a signatory.

The bit about sabotage is unproven AFIK but it's a reasonable assumption in the circumstances.

Capt Whisky Whisky
29th Apr 2008, 16:26
The bit about sabotage is unproven AFIK but it's a reasonable assumption in the circumstances.

Would you care to explain the 'reasonable assumption'

As far as I'm aware, the Oban fire crew were having problems with the machine for a couple of weeks before they discovered a plastic bag in the fuel tank.

The 'sabotage' story was released at the same time as another false story that attempted to blame TLC for the Councils failure to obtain a licence for Oban, Coll and Colonsay.

I had hoped that with the departure of Mr Jackson, this kind of nonsense would cease and we could all move on.

WW

Mike Cross
29th Apr 2008, 17:11
Oh dear! I wasn't intending to get drawn into the politics.

My understanding is that a plastic bag in the fuel tank proved to be the cause of the problem. Plastic bags don't generally climb into fuel tanks of their own volition so it would not be unreasonable to suppose that someone with malicous intent put it there. I'll await with interest the writ for libel issued by "persons unknown" against the author claiming that "persons unknown" have been subjected to "ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others" as a result of the article. Should be an interesting case!

I'm just asking dan design why he thinks the article's libellous.

Ken Wells
29th Apr 2008, 20:25
Well all I can say is visiting Oban Airport was a very pleasant experience mainly due to the fantastic service from Paul at TLC. Not many airports that refuel your aircraft while using their offices to make yourself a cup of Tea and eating their Jammy Dodgers. The place would die if it wasn't for him.
ATC need a bit of training but the ground handling was superb.

The Lochnell Arms Hotel, 5 min walk from the Airport was the biggest disappointment of our tour of the Western Isles. 8 of us walked there to have lunch, but after seeing the litter and tons of Ciggy Buts on piled up on the floor around the picnic tables and the Fireplace full of old toilet rolls and crisp bags we decided not to risk it.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0513.jpg

Shame because it is in a lovely location. How it deserves 3 stars from the Scottish Tourist board is beyond me.

Plockton had an interesting windshear approach. COL was empty as was TIRE. But the scenery is the best in the world.

Reminded me of the Billie Connolly tour of New Zealand as he flew down a Loch and exclaimed. "Look at the view its fantastic just like Scotland, only not as Good!"

It goes without saying that Glenforsa is the Jewel. Great food in the Glenforsa Hotel and a Pilot freiendly enviroment.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0422.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0466-1.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/CIMG1948.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0461.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0448.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/CIMG1927.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0543.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/DSCF0546.jpg

False Capture
29th Apr 2008, 21:02
Nice photos Ken, sounds and looks like you guys had a good trip.

The Gorrilla sent me a photo very similar to the last one you posted. The main difference, his was a photo of a pint of ale on the same Yak-52's wing. I guess you're more refined with bottles of red wine.;)

mad_jock
30th Apr 2008, 01:02
If the machine had just been away to the coachmakers it is likely that the poly bag got in there.

They cover the fuel hole with a poly bag and a rubber band to protect the rubber seals etc while painting. Unfortunatly when they cook the paint the tank heats and vents then when it cools it sucks the bag in.

The caps are like hens teeth to get a new one if yours is nicked. Its not unknow to stick a tesco bag in the hole to stop it venting when driving down the motorway. It usually doesn't matter because the fuel strainer catches it.

It could have been in there for years. After a fuel tank split I had fag ends poly bags and a tampon!!!! dumped out the bottom But I do know what they used the tampon for.

Bath
2nd May 2008, 10:14
Well all I can say is visiting Oban Airport was a very pleasant experience mainly due to the fantastic service from Paul at TLC. Not many airports that refuel your aircraft while using their offices to make yourself a cup of Tea and eating their Jammy Dodgers. The place would die if it wasn't for him.
ATC need a bit of training but the ground handling was superb.

Hoping to visit this weekend weather permiting, will certaintly not bother with the Lochnell Arms Hotel, sounds like a "trailer park trash" bar!

140KIAS
3rd May 2008, 22:37
Although the Loch Nell Arms is nothing special its adequate and meets most folks needs for a quick bite to eat and good value.

Its only a short walk from the airfield and the Sunday carvery lunch is excellent value.

HPPILOT
4th May 2008, 15:59
Just got back from Glenforsa & Oban, both fields are open, and very friendly, Brendan and Ally at Glenforsa are the best 'Mine hosts', Scallops & Pork belly fantastic. Paul Keegan of TLC at Oban was ready to serve with a smile and the guys on the radio were very helpful.

It looks as though most of the previos Cr-p has left and all people involved at ground level just keen to move on and get lives.

On another note, Jura airstrip, is in reasonable condition but has some fairly deep ruts created by motor vehicles in the centre of the runway. I will find a way of posting photos.

Say again s l o w l y
4th May 2008, 16:52
That's great that it all seems to be getting back to normal. So get up and visit. No excuses now!

Bath
5th May 2008, 14:47
[QUOTE][
Although the Loch Nell Arms is nothing special its adequate and meets most folks needs for a quick bite to eat and good value.

Its only a short walk from the airfield and the Sunday carvery lunch is excellent value.
/QUOTE]

Popped in there this weekend just to see if was as bad suggested!

It was! The butt mountain is still there and the place was a tip. If they can't keep the bar clean what are the kitchens like? We also walked out!

Wouldn't eat there if you paid me. Had Salmonella once, it wasn't fun!

freddie0509
7th May 2008, 22:27
i flew into Oban on Monday, a beautiful bank holiday. the strip was just fantastic and i taxied to the terminal door. the guys on the radio were very helpful and accommodating. security was pretty non existent with people coming and going freely. a very pleasant experience and my first time flying companions were suitably impressed. it doesn't get much better.

The trip to the Loch Nell Arms was not quite as successful being under staffed on a busy Monday holiday, however it did the trick.

You must try it.

lauchiemb
9th May 2008, 14:12
Word on the town is that Coll runway has been very busy over the past week with unidentified aircraft. Certainly not Highland Airways, probably more GA.

PPRuNe Radar
10th May 2008, 11:52
Glenforsa can now be discussed here:

Glenforsa Update (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326294)

MetOffice
13th May 2008, 15:49
'Highland Aiways' has posted its timetable for the long awaited service to the islands, link below:

http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/191003?080513164200.213.131.126.253.6695+/highland/I7/EN/static/timetables.html

....rumoured to start later this month following the CAA's airfield inspections this week.

Say again s l o w l y
13th May 2008, 16:09
Good to see that the timetables are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Original reason for flight "so local children can use the services to get to school."

So flights on a Monday AFTER school starts and no flights on a Friday or at the weekend. Just "scholar flights" as an extra thing. What? Why not design the timetable to be useful in the first place.

Good oh. Exactly who are these timetables aimed at? Tourists? Nope. Council staff to allow them to do a days work and get home the same day? Just. School kids? Nope.

If you only have one crew and one aircraft, then you are somewhat limited.

dan design
13th May 2008, 17:13
And obviously this is the summer timetable - none of the times will be achievable in the winter months. Since there is only one aircraft and one pilot, will he/she be rushing north or east for maintenance on Fridays?

xrayalpha
13th May 2008, 17:44
Hah, and 20-odd kids on Coll and not enough seats on the one aircraft!

The stuff of Whisky Galore!

lauchiemb
13th May 2008, 18:05
As someone who actually wished to use the service I cannot believe how poorly the timetable has been thought out.

The main benefit of the flights was to allow a link up to the Tiree airservice to Glasgow. They have failed miserably since there is not one day that you can fly from Coll to Tiree and on to Glasgow.

The other benefit of the flights was to be able to go to anf from on a Friday evening - great for weekends. There are no flights on a Friday.

I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to Head of Operational Services at Argyll and Bute Council and the most suitable person at Highland Airways.

Capt Whisky Whisky
13th May 2008, 18:42
I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to Head of Operational Services at Argyll and Bute Council

Good luck with that mate:ugh:

WW

MetOffice
16th May 2008, 20:48
From Today's Corncrake Magazine at http://www.colonsay.org.uk/corncrake/cornframe.html

And what, we hear you ask, is happening on the long-heralded new air service front? And well might you ask, for, apart from being a year or three behind schedule and a few odd million quid or so over budget, things have been ominously quiet for the last couple of months.

Well, don't hold your breath, but a wee bird tells us that the project could at long last have take-off before the month of June is out (the year wasn't specified...).

But what we can tell you for certain is that the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) flew in to the airstrip again on Tuesday last, to give the airport a "final inspection". This, we believe, went very well, and there appeared to be no significant obstacles in the way of the airstrip being granted its licence. Coll and Connell were to be inspected by the CAA on the days following, and if all went well there too, well, the project might at long last become a reality.

We shall of course bring you any breaking news in our next Issue.

Say again s l o w l y
16th May 2008, 21:12
Fingers crossed, it works out this time!

lauchiemb
21st May 2008, 19:10
Hi

I was just wondering whether anyone had heard how the visits went on last week. Did Oban run into any problems getting licensed?

Capt Whisky Whisky
23rd May 2008, 11:17
For all you Oban Airport watchers out there:

http://www.christopherdgray.co.uk/arbpart1images/obn-text.htm

WW

Capt Whisky Whisky
23rd May 2008, 11:35
Anyone tried to PPR via Oban lately on 01631 710 384?

WW

Oldpilot55
23rd May 2008, 12:03
Blimey Skye has moved a long way, poor old Mull....maybe that's why he got the rain shadow all wrong, too. 75 inches on average, 152 inches in a bad year. What he meant to say was that the high ground around Oban causes clouds to dump their rain on the pretty little town.
Still it is a smashing airfield to visit cos we always get to go there when the weather is good.

Capt Whisky Whisky
23rd May 2008, 14:16
Did you notice the OBN in the title?

Would that Be the Order of the Brown Nose?

WW:E

lauchiemb
23rd May 2008, 15:09
The number is unobtainable.....

gasax
23rd May 2008, 15:45
CWW
Brilliant site - obviously the gentleman has a weakness for mind altering drugs if he can wax that lyrical about the shiny new tin shed.

I have to say Paul was a helpful as ever last weekend - and I so admire the silly rows of buoys on the approach. Surprising how many of the shiny new signs seem to have some impact damage already. Shame they did not plant them in the grass like virtually everywhere else....

lauchiemb
27th May 2008, 11:42
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/649970

Mike Cross
27th May 2008, 11:59
I like the idea that the Islander will be able to fly in weather conditions that will keep the ferry in port!

lauchiemb
27th May 2008, 14:25
Does anyone know what kind of conditions the islander will actually work in? The ferry is dependent on wind direction and tide, while presumably the islander will just have to worry about wind? Will they be flying VFR only?

Rod1
27th May 2008, 15:26
Given the fact that there is a mountain at the end of the runway at Oban it is hard to see how an instrument approach would work! My guess is VFR only.

Rod1

Oldpilot55
27th May 2008, 15:47
Its a bit like the old Hong Kong approach. Maybe they should paint some chequerboards on the hillside.

Mike Cross
27th May 2008, 16:31
...... and erect some apartment blocks

http://88bw.net/bio/hongkong-airport.jpg

Jetscream 32
27th May 2008, 16:40
Is Barry McCaig on this forum or does anyone know anything about him? - is he an aviator background person or just plain council etc? genuine reason for interest... :ok: pm would be better - cheers

suraci
27th May 2008, 19:10
Read the newspaper article more carefully. It says that there will be flights on days when there is no ferry service; it does not say that there will be flights when the ferry is unable to operate.

suraci
27th May 2008, 21:12
Point taken, I had in mind the newspaper's comment (which to me seemed to refer to timetabling) not the councillor's remarks (which certainly raises eyebrows)

Maoraigh1
28th May 2008, 21:19
High winds produce waves, which don't go down immediately the wind drops. The islander can get in and out in a short time with lower winds. The ferry has to wait until the sea at the pier is calm enough for it to tie up. Colonsay does not have a good sheltered harbour.

Texas Spangler
28th May 2008, 22:19
"Colonsay does not have a good sheltered harbour."

Quite so but Coll does, and so does Tiree (to a lesser degree). You can't predict when the ferry will fail to line up adequately to the linkspan, nor indeed whether the Islander will get in. As a flyer you will know that it depends not just on wind direction ( not a problem on Tiree to the extent that it might be on Coll), but also on cloud base (not a problem at all for Calmac).

Say again s l o w l y
29th May 2008, 00:32
Justifying a VFR only service into 500m strips on the basis that it will be "more reliable than the ferry in bad weather" is very, very dodgy.

Ferries are big slab sided things, but compared to how an Islander gets affected by the weather (well by anyone actually sticking to the limits set in an Ops manual) they are fairly bullet proof.

So Oban with it's guaranteed cross wind runway is going to allow more opportunities to travel than a multi '000 tonne ship with a highly experienced crew?

Where's the Jimmy Hill scratchy chin smiley when you need it?

It's great that the licence looks as if it is about to be issued finally. It's just a shame the routes are so limited and with such odd timetables.

Fingers crossed though. The last thing anyone wants is for this to fall on it's backside now. That really would be a disaster.

NorthSouth
29th May 2008, 08:34
I find all this talk by council officials of the service starting on June 2nd rather odd when the CAA haven't yet made the decision to licence. One of the major factors in the timing of the start of licensed operations is publication of an airfield's details in the AIP. Oban Coll & Colonsay have now missed the deadline for publication in AIRAC 7/08. Next one is 8/08 which is published on 19 June and takes effect from 31 July. No doubt they can issue some details via NOTAM but I would have thought that they cannot start drawing the final version of the aerodrome chart etc until the CAA has agreed every last detail. That's not a job that can be done in 2 or 3 days.
NS

NorthSouth
29th May 2008, 16:27
Been pondering the question of lighting at Coll and Colonsay and found interesting info from the AGM of the The Association of Argyll & Bute Community Councils on 6-10-07 at http://www.aabcc.btik.com/attachments/WalshQuestions.doc
which includes the statement (from the Leader of the Council):

"There is no need for runway lighting at Coll and Colonsay"

Now I may be being very stupid here, but Highland Airways has published a timetable which has departure times from Coll at 1810 and Colonsay at 1740. In addition there are to be "scholar flights" which take kids to Oban for school, presumably on Monday mornings in time for the aircraft to turn round and operate the first outbound schedule at 0830, and on Friday afternoons after school gets out - departure from Oban at 1645ish?

Official daylight doesn't start at Colonsay until after 0800 in December and January, and it's official night for those afternoon schedules for the whole of the winter. How are they going to do it, or am I missing something?

NS

StraightLevel
29th May 2008, 21:09
Maybe it's a summer only timetable

Jetscream 32
29th May 2008, 21:42
the winter scheduile will be published in August to start 26th october always 26 week cycles....:8

NorthSouth
30th May 2008, 09:37
Surely means the kids will turn up at school late on Monday and leave early on Friday in winter. Round trip time Oban-Coll-Oban (without a stop at Colonsay) will be c.1hr 20 mins and official night at Oban in mid-December is about 1610 local.
NS

Stelladog
2nd Jun 2008, 13:56
Has Oban etc got their licence yet?

MetOffice
2nd Jun 2008, 17:07
Hot off the press from the latest Corncrake Magazine:

NO TAKE-OFF YET FOR AIR SERVICE

Well, we had high hopes of being able to bring to you, in this Issue, news of the commencement of our long-awaited air service. Alas, it is not to be, but, if all reports in the Press are to be believed, the three airstrips at Colonsay, Coll and Connell have at last received their necessary Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) licences (although, worryingly, an apparently reliable source has suggested that this might not actually be the case).

A catalogue of hold-ups has marred the progress of the project, and Argyll and Bute Council recently admitted that, over the last few months, it had run up a bill of over £300,000, for the "operational" costs of the service which has yet to actually take off. These running costs continue to mount daily, as Highland Airways, resident fire-fighting staff and airport staff at each airstrip have to be paid. Now however, the three final stumbling blocks to take-off have been overcome, according to Councillor Duncan MacIntyre, transport spokesman for the Council. CAA instructions state that airport fire engines have to be garaged and one of the last hurdles was the fact that the machines did not fit the purpose-built facility. But Mr MacIntyre said: "We have bought a hangar for them, the CAA required a fuel audit, which they now have, and trees have now been trimmed, as instructed."

Hopefully, by the time we hit the ether again in the middle of June, there will at last be good news to relate.

flybymike
2nd Jun 2008, 23:20
"Trees have now been trimmed as instructed," (and the large mountain at the end of the runway has been demolished.)

lauchiemb
3rd Jun 2008, 12:39
I have now been given a start date for the new air service as 9th June by 3 different sources, however no one can book flights and no official annuncemnet from the council regading the licensing of the runways.

Any further rumours, post them here!

NorthSouth
3rd Jun 2008, 22:08
Last Friday's Oban Times (http://www.obantimes.co.uk) reported that:Air services to Coll and Colonsay could be taking off from Oban Airport by next month after news that licences have been granted for Coll, Colonsay and Oban.No mention on CAA website and no NOTAMs indicating a new licence - in fact AIS website won't even recognise the Coll and Colonsay ICAO codes. Anyone know the facts?
NS

Jetscream 32
3rd Jun 2008, 22:13
licenses have not been issued yet...... imminent - but not yet in their sticky mits....

NorthSouth
6th Jun 2008, 18:46
Another week gone and still no hint of licences issued from CAA, A&BC or Hiway websites. Anyone know what's going on?
NS

Maoraigh1
6th Jun 2008, 21:01
Oban PPR is 01631 710910

xlpkbpwx
9th Jun 2008, 23:16
All 3 Aerodrome Licences were issued on 5th June 2008. Consequtive numbers for the Licensee - a world first.

lauchiemb
10th Jun 2008, 07:21
You can buy flights now and there would appear to be flights starting on 16th June.

S205-18F
10th Jun 2008, 07:25
Yiphee at last and well done all!!! I have a long association with Connel airfield and so nice to hear that its now licensed!!

fisbangwollop
10th Jun 2008, 13:40
Just seen NOTAM L2102/08 advising that the Oban ATZ becomes active at 0700 on the 13th, radius 2nm SFC to 2000ft.

Good luck and best wishes from the Scottish FIR sector. :ok:

140KIAS
10th Jun 2008, 17:54
Delighted to see the finishing line is in sight at long last. Its just a shame that the powers that be chose to run the Marathon when a 100 yard dash could have achieved to same results.

That said I visited Oban at the weekend and the guys couldnt have been more accommodating.

NorthSouth
10th Jun 2008, 21:05
2.333nm/min:I visited Oban at the weekend and the guys couldnt have been more accommodatingGreat. That surely must mean they'll be super-accommodating now they have a licence and an ATZ.
NS

PS: why no NOTAM on Coll & Colonsay? I realise they don't qualify for ATZs but one might imagine there'd be some notification of their new status.

flyboy 69
14th Jun 2008, 20:08
great place allway have an interesting trip there and back

140KIAS
17th Jun 2008, 13:38
Interesting to see that its now over 24 hours since the first flight finally got off the ground but not a single comment to this post in the last 3 days.

Has everyone gone off the berate/support some other aviation fiasco ?

Whilst we can all question the rights and wrongs we cant turn the clock back. Id like to congratulate A&B on finally achieving their dream :Dand look forward to some form of normality returning to Oban/Glenforsa etc.

Rod1
17th Jun 2008, 13:43
“some form of normality returning to Oban/Glenforsa etc”

I would certainly support that!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Rod1

BRL
17th Jun 2008, 19:34
I have just deleted the last twelve posts.

This thread is for comments on flying to the place. Nothing else. You want to argue again about the politics of it all then go somewhere else or instead of deleting I will simply close it.

theyounglaird
18th Jun 2008, 12:25
Just to confirm, can one still get fuel at Oban from TLC? I presume that they still operate from the same premises?

Rod1
18th Jun 2008, 13:39
“Just to confirm, can one still get fuel at Oban from TLC? I presume that they still operate from the same premises?”

It was all working very well a few weeks ago when I was last up. Give Paul or the airfield a call to check if you are visiting. I was hoping to fly up to Mull this weekend for another visit, but the forecast is really bad…

Rod1

The Original GF
18th Jun 2008, 14:42
This thread is for comments on flying to the place. Nothing else.

Does this mean, if the council managed to remove TLC by fair means or foul, we would not get to hear about it on prune, because it would be deemed 'political'?

TOGF

Mike Cross
18th Jun 2008, 15:46
I was hopping to fly

Have you tried running & flapping your arms instead Rod?

theyounglaird
19th Jun 2008, 17:10
Thank goodness Oban and Coll and Colonsay are run by ABC rather than Highland and Island Airports. Imagine if after a week of the new plane service that it was stopped because of strike action, like Tiree!

If this happened, then the pessimists would have a field day - Slowly Slowly etc!

gasax
19th Jun 2008, 17:43
One of ABC's intentions is that the airfields will be run by Highlands and Islands so this is certainly nothing to gloat over. Sooner or later ABC are going to have to address the operational costs, hopefully that will mean something like short periods whilst the airfield is licensed for the scheduled flights and the remainder of the time it would be available for unlicensed operations.

The bigger question is if ABC or HIAL staff strike whether the airfields remain available for aircraft which do not need licensed facilities. Hopefully that would be the case - but given that the staff who would be striking are the people who largely make the operational rules we'll just have to see.

The Original GF
20th Jun 2008, 16:07
I thought that the staff at Oban had previously been on strike, or dont go-slows count?

THGF

NorthSouth
23rd Jun 2008, 09:13
From the Coll and Colonsay NOTAMs:

ALL AIRCREW AND PILOTS MUST WEAR HI-VIZ WHEN AIRSIDE

and

PPR WILL NOT BE GIVEN TO ANY ACFT IF ETA/ETD WOULD CONFLICT WITH SKED MOVEMENTS

Strange [NOT] that no such strictures apply at the Orkney strips, almost all of which have far more regular scheduled services.

Perhaps the Highland Airways pilot has recently failed an eyesight test.

NS

theyounglaird
23rd Jun 2008, 09:47
Perhaps these airports are run by the council rather than HIAL and they are nervous about a bunch of old boys messing around in their 1940's planes.

I am a great believer in Hi visibility vests at all times, particularly at a small airport that has just started its first ever scheduled service.

The PPR restriction would be for the twenty minutes when the Highland Airways plane is coming in to land with lots of fee paying passengers. Sounds OK to me.

The Original GF
23rd Jun 2008, 09:57
old boys messing around in their 1940's planes

Would that be the old boys who were flying in 1940?

TOGF

theyounglaird
23rd Jun 2008, 09:58
Ha ha! Some of them might have been!

hoodie
23rd Jun 2008, 09:59
Your Lairdship, let me guess - your clan tartan is grey and grey, on a background of grey.

Or perhaps dayglo.

Why on earth do Coll and Colonsay require such OTT measures when far busier VFR airfields do not?

And another thing - "old boys in their 1940s planes" usually have some of the highest degree of airmanship around, I have found.

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jun 2008, 14:23
Oh FFS.

Hi Viz jackets...........The only people who jump up and down about these are Health and Safety muppets who have no real idea about risk management or what really constitutes proper safety management systems.

This other guff about not allowing traffic that might conflict with a scheduled service has again been written by someone who obviously has never been near the controls of an aircraft and has no concept of what is actually needed for the safe operation of these services.

Basically someone with a highly inflated sense of their own importance, but no real training or understanding has written this rubbish.

Theyounglaird, I'm afraid you have just proven to me that you have no idea of what you are talking about and are simply on here to try and wind people up and get a rise out of them. I think you could be safely called a troll in internet parlance.

BRL
23rd Jun 2008, 14:41
I have just closed the Glenforsa thread to make life easier this end.

Now guys, please try and just use this thread for trip reports and the likes of.

I am fed up of sifting through and deleting threads, often followed by loads of PM's from both sides of the fence questioning the descisions. I am getting tired of that and no doubt the admins here who overlook this are too.

If you have nothing to say about visiting the actual airfields then please don't bother. The political side of things will be deleted as they have been in the past but to be honest the way things have gone on the other thread, this one hangs on for it's life by it's fingertips at the moment.

theyounglaird
23rd Jun 2008, 14:53
But trip reports are so dull. I much prefer a bit of light banter between the old flyers, the nimbies and those with nothing better to do (Slowly Slowly).

Please keep up the interesting posts.

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jun 2008, 15:31
BRL, anychance you could "adjust" the spelling of Glenforsa in the title of the thread.;)

TYL, as for you, I've just put you on my ignore list. I happen to agree with BRL about the nonsense that gets posted here and I'm annoyed with myself for responding to idiotic posts from trolls such as yourself, who seem to have nothing better to do than post on a website to wind people up for their own jollies, and therefore perpetuating the amount of guff on here.

Apologies BRL, I'll try practise some of the zen like calm I manage to exhibit when in hospital, but seem incapable of reproducing when anyone mentions Oban or Glenforsa. I suppose spending 18 months studying the project and writing thousands of words in reports on it, does tend to mean you care about it a bit more than you should.

dan design
23rd Jun 2008, 16:31
.....no flights at all last Thursday to Colonsay as no one wanted to go or come back - am I allowed to say that as it's actually about non- flying?

No landing at Tiree on or back from Coll today - HIAL fireman strike!

But the school holidays in Bonnie Scotland start at the end of this week so things should hot up then.

Gelande Strasse
23rd Jun 2008, 17:55
DD

It will be interesting to see what the take up on seats will be. I wonder if that sort of data will be published. With no friday flights it bombs out a weekend for me, which is a great shame.

GS

The Original GF
23rd Jun 2008, 20:36
Maybe that knocker has a stake in all this, i.e. a rate/tax payer, so he would be entitled to express an opinion, would'nt he ?

TOGF

Gelande Strasse
23rd Jun 2008, 21:58
Please do not be so negative. As it happens, as tax payers we all have a stake in this. I am all for better links to the islands and the more bums on more seats,the better is is for their economies.

I'm sorry if you find this an objectionable point of view.

GS

Edit

TOGF, due to deletions it looks like this post is in response to yours. Please be assured it is not! BTW I'm not a knocker of the philosophy, just the methodology!

GS

mad_jock
24th Jun 2008, 01:00
Its is never going to end the pish which is the local politics of the west coast.

All ppl holders who wish to fly to Oban or any where else please do so.

Please phone the field operator before for PPR and also the fuel provider before you depart if you require an up lift.

Please ignore any posts from any local on any thread on any forum about whats the local fight at the moment. There will always be a fight, the excuse for a fight will just be different. It really won't spoil your enjoyment of visiting.

Fly Scotland its a hella of alot better than England. And a wee bit better than Wales.

Scottishflyer182
24th Jun 2008, 13:07
I agree with you Mad Jock. I've not flown into Oban for months, I used to fly in regularly but was put off by the amount of negitive posts.

I'm sure many other Pilots are is the same position.

Scottishflyer

Rod1
24th Jun 2008, 13:16
“I used to fly in regularly but was put off by the amount of negitive posts.”

How many movements do you think PPrune has “discouraged”?:E

Rod1

Scottishflyer182
24th Jun 2008, 13:19
None,

You can't blame the messenger for the message.:ok:

PPRune is a fantastic facility open to all.

Its up to the users to show good judgement.

Scottishflyer

The Original GF
24th Jun 2008, 14:31
Yes, perhaps we should just let the councils, developers and
beancounters decide whats best for GA, and let them get on with it, safe in the knowledge that no one will find out what they are up to (until it's too late).

Do not underestimate the power of prune, why do you think so much effort goes into trying to shut down this thread?

TOGF

helicopter-redeye
25th Jun 2008, 07:59
Are there any parking restrictions at Colonsay if there are now islander flights in/out?

NorthSouth
25th Jun 2008, 16:36
Are there any parking restrictions at Colonsay if there are now islander flights in/out?See my post #93
NS

NorthSouth
25th Jun 2008, 19:49
Gelande Strasse:It will be interesting to see what the take up on seats will be. I wonder if that sort of data will be publishedIt'll all be published in due course on the CAA web site here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&pageid=3&sglid=3). Just click on the appropriate month and select 'Table 12 2 Domestic Air Pax Traffic Route Analysis'. If you care to take a look at the figures for the nearest equivalent of the Coll/Colonsay services - the Shetland inter-island flights - you'll see some horrifyingly low numbers (14 pax to/from Papa Stour in March for example). Also heavily subsidised of course.
NS

Fixed wing 51
26th Jun 2008, 13:38
Rod 1
I believe that many have been discouraged from visiting Connel which is disappointing but one can understand why from the postings that have appeared in this thread, had I not known the place and people then I may also have been discouraged.
To all those considering a trip in your aircraft then Oban should be in your plan, it’s a beautiful place with warm friendly welcome from the ground crew and others any time I’ve been there.

Rod1
27th Jun 2008, 10:24
Fixed wing 51

I have been visiting Oban, on and off for many years. My last visit was a few months ago, and if the Weather had been good I would have been up last Weekend, (staying at the Hotel on Mull and getting fuel from Oban to get home). My last trip was very enjoyable and I posted as such at the time.

I have received a PM from you criticizing the PPRune moderation. PPRune is a private venture which allows us to post, there decision if final. I have been posting on PPrune for some time and have not had a post moderated, but if I do, I do. It is there prerogative, it is their sand box. That said I think BRL has done a good job keeping this thread open, and I hope it stays that way:ok:. If you are not happy, there are many other BB’s you can post on, but you may find you have the same problem over again.

Rod1

theyounglaird
27th Jun 2008, 11:25
You say that you have spent 18 months writing reports on Oban airport. What reports, for whom? Can we read them?

Say again s l o w l y
27th Jun 2008, 13:34
If you pay for them, then yes, but I was just the author. They are "owned" by the people who commisioned them and I would need their permission to distibute them.

Don't worry though. It will all become obvious once the inquiry and court cases start.

theyounglaird
27th Jun 2008, 14:15
I hope that you have more evidence than has been contributed on this forum.

As for an enquiry and court cases, I think not.

Say again s l o w l y
27th Jun 2008, 14:39
What, apart from the court cases that are already ongoing. Did someone mention Fire Appliances?

As for evidence. My office has two piles of paperwork over 2 feet tall, not to mention the GB's of data on the computer.

I would not make any comments on a public site such as Pprune unless they could be evidenced.
I also have my opinions, one of which is a desire that this project succeeds. I also wish there to be services like the Argyll Air Service all over Scotland and that Oban and Glenforsa are two of the finest places to visit in the British Isles.

My problem has never been with any of the staff or the airfields, but with the decision making processes. When you see some of the reports that have been paid for by the council and then ignorned and then see some other stuff that was obviously followed, a very clear pattern emerges.

Right, that's my last word on this apart from new stuff that I dig up. I think BRL probably already wants to slap me round the back of the head and I think we've tried his patience long enough.

Fixed wing 51
27th Jun 2008, 16:45
Today, 16:57 #120 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/4208284-post120.html) (permalink (http://www.pprune.org/forums/private-flying/323106-oban-glenforsa-news-6.html#post4208284)) Fixed wing 51 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/members/fixed-wing-51.html)

Sf 182
Previously edited out , how long will it last this time!

Pprune is a fantastic facility which no one could disagree, it’s just a pity about the way this thread has gone. You say to let users have judgement; users have been prohibited from doing so, a friend has informed me that his postings have been rejected by the moderator.
Some postings pre April 08 had been informative which I believe had angered an individual, the only valid reason that I can guess as to why they have been deleted is to prevent users from looking back and being given the chance to make up their own mind, they are not being given the other side of the story or being allowed to see the bigger picture which is important if the “wider audience” are to have their freedom of choice which has been taken from them. Why is this thread now very much one sided. If individuals use this forum as their personal soap box then the crowd should also be heard

BRL
27th Jun 2008, 16:46
Guys if you could continue via PM that would be appreciated. :)

Fixed Wing 51, your posts will continue to be deleted as you have nothing positive to contribute to the thread other than have a pop at me, not only on here but PM'ing people too.

What you are asking for/saying in the deleted posts should be either PM'ed to me or you could email me with your concerns.

To reply to this comment by myself could you please PM or email me and we will discuss it further then. Thank you.

NorthSouth
28th Jun 2008, 11:37
Apologies for my temerity in posting about actual aviation facilities at Oban Coll & Colonsay. For those that are interested, the licences for the three airfields are now on the CAA website (Aerodrome Standards). However the Schedule 1s (maps of the airfields) are not published, and so far there is nothing in the AIP or its future amendments.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Schedule 1 maps which form part of the licences for any/all of the three? Trying to get a feel for how much room there is for other aircraft when the Islander's in.

NS

Say again s l o w l y
29th Jun 2008, 14:19
I'm afraid not NS. I have asked for them, but I was told they wouldn't be produced until AFTER the licence was issued.....????

Which did confuse me a bit!

NorthSouth
30th Jun 2008, 10:15
Thanks sas. The licences are dated 5 June so they've had >3 weeks.

Looks to me like there's a gravel (?) area adjacent to the tarmac apron at Colonsay. I was hoping that light a/c could be pushed back on to that for parking, to give max room for the Islander to manoeuvre.

NS

hambleoldboy
30th Jun 2008, 20:59
Was at Coll and Colonsay recently.

No, there is no gravel or any other area for aircraft to be parked outside the circular apron at both airfields. At Colonsay there is a small fenced off area on the grass with large concrete tie down blocks for the Laird's aircraft. Coll has a real problem with greylag geese; they are now resident the whole year on the island, inhabit the airfield, crap all over everything and are practically impossible to scare away...

Glenforsa was immaculate as usual and Oban very friendly and helpful.

helicopter-redeye
1st Jul 2008, 07:44
Do you have any pics of the parking areas on Colonsay?

tuscan
1st Jul 2008, 15:04
I am fairly new to pprune and was surprised at all the back biting and bitching on this and other Oban related threads.
I can imagine that those who are personally involved with the various airfields in question may feel that this is a good platform for personal attacks but it does seem to all be a bit much....

I have been flying into Oban and the outer Isles for years and can only see improvements in most areas and there have been good days and bad, like having a friendly (and a fair bit of p##s taking) chat over a jammy dodger or on the other hand being told that next time I should uplift more fuel and that thirty litres was hardly worth the effort of starting the bowser, and that part was serious.

I think that there`s not much good coming out of these particular threads but then hey, who cares? We are are all entitled to our little rant and I have had mine....

I love flying in this area and just hope that when I land next time my experience will not be tarnished by overhearing the tittle tattle that seems to have been exasperated on here.

dan design
1st Jul 2008, 16:38
Have you bought a packet of jammy d's recently - you got them and the tes/coffee free I suspect - and do you know how little is made by suppliers on a litre of fuel these days..... you probably ate and drank the profit and were entertained as well....alll for thirty litres, who's taking the p**s,tuscan?

But don't worry you'll be welcomed back, so keep enjoying the flying in this wonderful area and ignore the tittle tattle.

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 08:54
Moan moan Moan :zzz::zzz::zzz:, in the old days when fees were paid in the hut I always left my share of jammy change and even washed the cups.
I even used to uplift as much as I could at the irritation of the club who`s aircraft I had taken out for the day(who also supplied fuel), anything to help:ok:

Glad to hear I am welcome back although I`m not sure I outstayed my previous but who knows:confused:.
I`m heading off to the Alps for a few weeks next Thursday but look forward my next visit some time in August.

Scottishflyer182
2nd Jul 2008, 12:05
I think Dan sums up his attitude well.

Most if not all clubs offer free T and bites to all visiting pilots. So in the past your offered T and jammy dodgers at Oban and your taking the P__S for accepting them.:confused::confused::confused: Oban is better now than it was before and that's a fact. Nothing against Paul. Its a pity so much money has been wasted but that's life. You know where you can stuff your Jammy Dodgers. :ouch:

Scottishflyer182.

Rod1
2nd Jul 2008, 12:23
“Oban is better now than it was before and that's a fact”

Interesting statement. In the past the airfield won awards for being the best GA field in the UK. I am not aware of it wining any recently?

In the past there were two runways available, now just one.

From the perspective of an average PPL, what has improved?

Rod1

The Original GF
2nd Jul 2008, 13:02
From the perspective of an average PPL, what has improved?

Well, it's a lot quieter than it used to be!

TOGF

Scottishflyer182
2nd Jul 2008, 13:12
Hi Rod1.

I accept that a runway has been lost and some lighter aircraft may not be albe to visit under certain X wind conditions. However the new tarmac runway is a cracker.

One of the reasons Oban has not won any prizes recently has more to do with the constant negativity posted here. Of course the numbers are down, I flew in a few months ago and posted my delight at the friendly service and good facilities and was rebuked for saying so. Some encouragement for other pilots to pay a visit to the new Oban.

Of course many mistakes have been made by the council and I'm sure they know it. Constantly knocking Oban and the visiting pilots will not do any good to the long term future of Oban.

So I repeat, Oban is better than before in my opinoin as a visiting pilot.

Scottishflyer182.

Rod1
2nd Jul 2008, 13:21
“I flew in a few months ago and posted my delight at the friendly service”

As did I.

From my perspective as a visiting pilot the loss of the runway makes it less good. I agree the tarmac is 1st class, but as I operate from a farm strip this is not something I care much about. I am not knocking Oban, it is still a good place to fuel up, but it is not as good as it was before all the money was spent. This is unfortunate, but true.:(

Rod1

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 13:22
Scottish, I can think of a few airfields that do not offer freebies, can I borrow your rose tinted RayBans next time I take a tour of airfields;), anyway I think its better to leave something behind for the kitty even if there is no charge, its only good manners.
I too think there are improvements but then all I really want is a descent surface to land on and a friendly chat before leaving.

'India-Mike
2nd Jul 2008, 13:32
For a tailwheel pilot like myself with an aeroplane that has a lowish crosswind capability the loss of the second runway, albeit only a few degrees off the main one, is a serious loss of utility. However the grass to the east of the disused looked ever so appealing a few weeks ago. A suitable unlicenced alternative perhaps?

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 13:35
I-M , would you be allowed to do that???

'India-Mike
2nd Jul 2008, 14:02
I'll have to ask next time. It was certainly very nicely cut.

NorthSouth
2nd Jul 2008, 14:37
I'll put a tenner on the answer being no.
NS

tuscan
2nd Jul 2008, 14:45
I think that it will depend who and how you ask, not a safe bet either way but I would probably stick a tenner on NO as well.:ok:

connel flyer
2nd Jul 2008, 16:02
SF182

TLC is NOT a flying club, it is a re-fuelling and handling company. So you cannot put it in the same bracket as your average UK flying club. You would not receive tea/coffee and biscuits at Cumbernauld; Perth; Glerothes etc when you buy fuel.

So would you say that these are some of the changes for the better that have taken place since the development:

1) Closure of the most in to wind runway
2) Lack of parking (ie. as shown on the weekend of the Glenforsa fly-in)
3) Steeper landing fees and longer PPR requirements
4) More fireman than at Heathrow Airport
5) Unnecessary new runway with unnecesary lighting and unnescessary NDB/DME
6) A reduction in visiting aircraft numbers by 60% at least
7) Need I continue...?

Islanders have been flying in and out of Connel , Coll and Colonsay for years with no problems so why was it necessary for £9 million to be spent which now only allows the same aircraft to operate under the same circumstances?

So SF182 where are the benefits that you were talking about, because I for sure cannot see any obvious ones?

Best regards
CF

Scottishflyer182
2nd Jul 2008, 19:33
Hi CF,

I understand TLC is not the same as a flying Club. My point was that if you offer free T and Jammy Dodgers and a pilot takes the offer up and then is accused of taking the P--s for doing so seems a bit rich.

1. I agree that was a pity but only a few aircraft will find this a problem on certain days.
2. With all the negative posts I don't think parking will be a problem.
3. £12.00 does not seem that high unless I managed to get a special deal last time I flew in.
4. What's that got to do with anything I said????
5. Unnecessary maybe, but wow what a runway you have now.
6. That's in part down to all the negativity surrounding Oban now.
7. I wish my council would spend 9m on our runway.

I accept the council made lots of errors, but continually knocking Oban will only result in less visitors and that's not good. Or is it?

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Jul 2008, 19:43
For your average visitor, the upgrades will be nothing but positive. The politics and how much it cost etc.etc. are utterly irrelevant if all you want is fuel and to visit the local area.

Most aircraft will be able to handle any crosswinds, generally if the wind is up high enough for it to be a problem for something like a 182 for example, then the weather is likely to be pretty shonky and this won't be an issue.

However it could be a problem for the Islanders running a scheduled service come rain or shine.

There's no need to slag anyone off just because they visited and have an opinion. We are all entitled to one.

NorthSouth
2nd Jul 2008, 21:33
I believe the Islander's demonstrated crosswind component is 30 knots. If it can cope with that it shouldn't be grounded too often.
NS

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Jul 2008, 21:42
It shouldn't have too much effect having looked at the weather data for the last few years, it just depends on the Highland's manual and what corrections they use for a wet runway.

If they do, it could be a problem then!

connel flyer
2nd Jul 2008, 22:08
SF182

I am not knocking the airport but i just think its way over the top for what its going to be used for thats all. I am not trying to keep people away from the strip. The more people we get the better. I love seeing the place full of planes. I live at the southern end of the strip so do u think I want to look out my window and see roofs of other houses? I don't think so.

I think its sad to see the 03/21 closed i used to fly flex wing microlights and 3 Axis microlights and in certain wind directions 03/21 was a god send so saying it would only effect a few aircraft is nonsense. It wouldn't affect the likes of yourself but is that not a bit on the selfish side.

I'm sure you got a special rate on that landing or you were in months ago.

So to cap the more arcraft the better Oban and Glenforsa i look forward to seeing you at connel
best regards
CF

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 07:49
I last flew in at the back end of March and it was £12, has it gone up since?

As for PPR, I called up about an hour and a half before I landed, just like I always have done, Has that also changed?

Simple answers without sticking it to each other would be greatly accepted:ok:

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 07:52
I would just like to add that on another forum (a motorcycling one) that I post on one of the smilies is two wee faces hitting each other with handbags, I think we could do with an upgrade on ours....:rolleyes:

Rod1
3rd Jul 2008, 09:29
The landing fee depends on the weight of the aircraft. I paied £12 a few months ago – 490kg MTOW. This is about normal for a licensed A/F with no IFR facility.

The PPR is three hours min from memory. Another disadvantage of the “new” airport?

I will be up again in the next few weeks, so will report if things are different.

Rod1

Sweet & Sour
3rd Jul 2008, 09:30
Tuscan. On your first post on this thread you comented on the back biting and bitching on it. Pot meet the kettle. why dont you jump on your bike and take your views with you. d..k h..d:mad:

S&S

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 09:37
Sorry to upset you Sour and Sour, I was merely trying to be light hearted and bring some cheer to the thread.

On all of my visits to Oban I have enjoyed some form of good hospitality and I think its a shame to read about people becomming so bogged down with the negative issues. Lighten up!!!!!

Sweet & Sour
3rd Jul 2008, 10:05
Tuscan. All you are doing is sticking in a big wooden spoon and stirring things up. I have to ask myself why? whats your reasons,every post you post is having a nip at somthing.
Unless you have first hand experence of the politics in Oban please keep your wooden spoon in your pocket.

S&S

tuscan
3rd Jul 2008, 10:59
S&S, Oh dear we seem to have got off to a bad start, I had no idea that this thread was only for those involved in the running or politics of oban, I will remove my spoon from your sticky porridge bowl with haste:eek:.

Thanks for the info Rod, I had no idea about the 3hrs and will make my request earlier in future to avoid dissappointment.
Does anyone know if you can be accepted via the radio if you have a change of plans enroute, ie: a request put through via Scottish Info.

dont overfil
3rd Jul 2008, 12:07
Tuscan
3 hrs ppr does not appear to be enforced, but do call before you leave. Call TLC if you are going to need fuel. The airfield has been pretty acommodating to me when there has been last minute changes. Just like most airfields.
I've never met anybody as grumpy as SS there. That might just be a windup. Appears to have had posts deleted before.
DO.

Scottishflyer182
3rd Jul 2008, 13:26
Hi CF,

I envy you, what a lovely place to live. :cool:

Microligths fly from my airfield and I understand that they are much more wind sensitive that my big beast. So on that basis I agree its not as good as before. :{:{

i paid £12 in April for landing Coffee and Biscuits. Offered to put money into a tin. I also called on route as it was not a planned visit. :D:D

I think the PPR is really at the discretion of the Controller on duty. Although I understand that they prefer 3 hrs notice.

Good flying

SF

Ostrich Airways
3rd Jul 2008, 20:17
I agree that Oban and Mull are two of the best locations going and I hope that (despite this bogging weather) everyone makes them 'must-do' destinations for their yearly Scottish trip ;)

With PPR and fuel, I would always phone TLC in advance - a word of caution - I would not rely on asking ATC at Oban to contact them.

On several occasions, presumably as time fast approaches the bewitching hour of 5pm, Oban ATC have been asked (via Scottish ATC) if they can contact TLC to see if the refueller is available .... but strangely no message has been passed on. (I have personally experienced it once).

I would like to think that these are just isolated events and not some official wheeze .... not very professional if it is.

Come on now lads .. pull together ... :=

connel flyer
3rd Jul 2008, 22:55
OA

Your bang on correct there we do need to stick together because at the end of the day 99% of us are out there to fly.
I think it would be great if all the posters on here say meet up at Oban or Glenforsa and we would see who walks the walk or who just likes talking the talk .

SF

Well if you operate out of a strip where micros operate out of you will know there plight.

Also if your running a proper operation you cant say 3 hours for one person and say 1 for somebody else thats very unfair. Come on the place isn't that busy where they need all that time to get ready for traffic.
Am local so at the moment we can fly dawn to dusk its great but some times the guys up the command post give ppr for other aircraft out of hours and on a few actions they just crash into the downwind with no calls. very scary for us guys i am not against visitors flying to Connel out of hours but they have to play the game we are very active in the evenings right up to sunset

I look forward to meeting all thee walk the walk guys

Happy landings

CF

tuscan
4th Jul 2008, 10:26
CF,

I think thats a great idea, Im planning on a trip some time in August. Once Ive got the date sorted I`ll let you know.
I`m usually in a few times a year, would be good to put faces to the names.

connel flyer
4th Jul 2008, 12:23
Tuscan

Great thats 1.
With any luck the weather will be a bit beter saying that we managed Aboyne,Perth,Glenforsa,Colonsay yesterday good day was had by all:ok::ok:

PH-UKU
4th Jul 2008, 21:25
I'll walk the walk ... or float the float ;)

Name a date CF ... :E ..

.... but I suggest a proviso .....

everyone who participates must bring a decent packet or four of biscuits .. one for the Oban FISOs, one for TLC, and one each for the Mull Hotel (TRGF) and Mr H in the ABC wendyhousehut.

Crumbs ... does that sound like a plan .. ? :E

PS Suggestions for UN peacekeeping biscuit titles are encouraged ...

Scottishflyer182
4th Jul 2008, 22:22
Hi CF,

Sounds good to me also. Be a nice fly-in Oban then Glenforsa light nights so now is the time. I'll see who else I can bring along from Perth.

Just give me some notice so i can get the beast warmed up:).

I can walk the walk and talk the talk but can I fly :p the skies.

Cheers

SF.

connel flyer
5th Jul 2008, 12:34
SF182

Thats great we should plan a day for August sometime
and bring as many folk as possible look forward to it :ok::ok:

PH-UKU

That also sounds like a good plan. See guys this is prune bonding. lol
I am hopeful there will be some more people coming as well because i know theres more than 3 of us that post on here lol:D:D
Happy landings may it be water or tar:ok::ok:

CF

Stelladog
5th Jul 2008, 14:29
Count me in!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/TheOriginalGF/Dawg-1.jpg?t=1215268093

fisbangwollop
5th Jul 2008, 19:27
Does anyone know if you can be accepted via the radio if you have a change of plans enroute, ie: a request put through via Scottish Info.

No problems, just ask my comrades at arms at "Scottish info" 119.875 and we will do our best to arrange late notice PPR and even fuel from PK.:ok:

fisbangwollop
5th Jul 2008, 19:29
G-PIMP.......we spoke the other day 119.875....we were wondering what your day job is???????:)

flybymike
6th Jul 2008, 13:07
I notice the helicopter is all coated in black rubber....

dont overfil
6th Jul 2008, 15:14
Stella as well!
DO.

PH-UKU
6th Jul 2008, 17:04
I notice the helicopter is all coated in black rubber....

Shouldn't it be G-GIMP ? :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

Stelladog
10th Jul 2008, 15:30
So what happened?

Stelladog

NorthSouth
24th Jul 2008, 12:06
Gelande Strasse:It will be interesting to see what the take up on seats will be. I wonder if that sort of data will be publishedFirst stats have just been published here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/200806/June_2008_Provisional_Domestic_Routes.pdf) - 19 pax carried between Oban and Tiree (both ways) in the last two weeks of June. Strangely, no stats for Coll or Colonsay, which I would expect to be higher than 19 because Tiree already had an air service whereas Coll/Colonsay didn't.
NS

Pudnucker
29th Jul 2008, 18:08
Did Glenforsa and Oban a couple of weeks ago on a round trip of Scotland. As usual Paul @ TLC and Brendan at the Glenforsa Hotel were a huge help, source of much piss taking of myself and it was great to spend some time with them.. Cheers chaps! :ok: Deffo worth the fuel to get there!

The Original GF
1st Aug 2008, 11:59
I have been informed by a visitor to Glenforsa that Peter R Jackson has surfaced back at Coventry Airport.

Can anyone from those parts confirm this?

TOGF

cvt person
1st Aug 2008, 16:05
Certainly has!

BRL
1st Aug 2008, 16:42
And so be it. No more about Mr Jackson on this thread. Your posts will be deleted. Lets keep it Oban/Glenforsa based please.

NorthSouth
7th Aug 2008, 15:19
hambleoldboy:there is no gravel or any other area for aircraft to be parked outside the circular apron at both airfields. At Colonsay there is a small fenced off area on the grass with large concrete tie down blocks for the Laird's aircraftI was there on Tuesday and found that there is a perfectly acceptable area of grass adjoining the circular tarmac apron - on the east side of it - which can be used for parking. We pushed back on to it, luckily far enough to be out of the way of the laird's 206 since it took off an hour later. I'd say there's room for two aircraft on that grass area and still enable the Islander to taxi in and turn round to get out again. But no doubt the council will have other views.
NS

Capt Whisky Whisky
15th Aug 2008, 19:03
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/TCH_photo/OT14.jpg?t=1218826968

WW

connel flyer
16th Aug 2008, 00:58
WW

Hi ww were u not at the massive open day yesterday? it was meant to be a hoot 50 fat men wandering about in suits and one special one with a white linen one. The apron was full of planes you missed yourself.

CF

Capt Whisky Whisky
16th Aug 2008, 10:22
Hi CFI think my invite must have got lost in the post.I understand no one from TLC or the Argyll Flying Club were invited either.WW

dan design
21st Aug 2008, 17:30
Provisonal figures as of 19 August on CAA website - 62 pax Oban/Tiree in July - by my calcs thats about 19% capacity based on 10 [possible]flight days, 4 flights/day and 8 seats available.

No info about Coll or Colonsay numbers though, anecdotally, the uptake to both those islands appears to be lower.

Gelande Strasse
22nd Aug 2008, 09:55
19% capacity based on 10 [possible]flight days, 4 flights/day and 8 seats available

..........yet the newspeak from the Council Leader (OT 21/8/08) tells us that 'the uptake has been encouraging' :eek: and 'as the service grows, capacity will increase'.

Even that wealder of the silver scalpal McCaig tell us that had we been present at the opening last week (was it advertised?) we would have seen 'just how busy the airport had become since it was licensed and traffic grows by the day'.

Is 19% encouraging? As for Colonsay, how are we to tell when the figures aren't published? Anecdotally indeed DD, with previous examples, G-SEIL didn't go yesterday morning. No passengers?

GS

quilmes
22nd Aug 2008, 20:26
Grtz,
Looks the boss-guy from the UK-wide Federation of Small Businesses is starting to prod Argyll & Bute Council a bit about North Connel;

Challenge over Oban Airport upgrade costs - Press & Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/799379)

NorthSouth
6th Sep 2008, 15:30
It seems Highland Airways will be reducing capacity on the Oban-Coll/Colonsay service in the winter timetable. The latest AIP update, valid from 23 October, changes the Coll and Colonsay opening hours so that both are open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Colonsay open earlier and later than Coll. This suggests that they plan to do Oban-Colonsay(-Tiree?)-Coll-Oban in the morning, then Oban-Coll(-Tiree?)-Colonsay-Oban in the afternoon. If that's the case then they clearly think they're never going to have more than 8 pax for all three islands in total, including any inter-island pax.

Also interesting that Colonsay's promulgated as not opening till 1600 in winter, but Oban will close at "1630 or sunset whichever is earlier". So assuming the Islander arrives at Colonsay from Coll at 1605, departs at 1620, it gets to Oban at 1645 - airport closed, unless special arrangements have been made. But given that the sole purpose of licensing any of these airfields was for the scheduled service, why promulgate opening hours which can't accommodate that schedule and require special arrangements to be made?

Also strange that they plan to close at sunset rather than official night. Even stranger that they seem to be planning a winter schedule which will be impossible to fly for much of the winter because of daylight considerations.

NS

helicopter-redeye
7th Sep 2008, 19:26
I was on Colonsay for two weeks during August and the airfield was 'very quiet' all round.

Here are some pictures of the HA service departing, which I captured from the front seat of my trusty bike early one morning. I don't think anybody got on board (bar the crew). More fire crew available for the Islander than for Citation or King Air departures from Gamston.

**Nice pics but they are way to big. If you put them on Photobucket first it will resize them for you to a more pleasing size..**

In contrast Islay was positively heaving and the airport manager & team should be congratulated on the pristine nature of the airfield (although watch out for the 'snakes in the terminal' (:eek::eek::eek:)

On the one occasion I landed on the airfield at Colonsay, there was a chap walking his dogs on the runway. The dogs, at least, were unphased even if the pilot was not ....

mikehammer
7th Sep 2008, 20:24
I was at Islay last week and I would echo your thoughts about the airport. Excellent little facility, and a friendly place to boot. I'd forgotten to PPR (scatter brain) but a quick apology on the radio dealt with this. Friendly island altogether come to that. No snakes around the terminal though, boo hoo.

Gelande Strasse
9th Sep 2008, 09:01
If that's the case then they clearly think they're never going to have more than 8 pax for all three islands in total, including any inter-island pax.

Well I don't think they need to worry much about Colonsay passengers. I hear that this morning's flight didn't depart. The weather is fine so can it be that (once again) there are no pax?

GS

jonkil
9th Sep 2008, 11:43
rtz,
Looks the boss-guy from the UK-wide Federation of Small Businesses is starting to prod Argyll & Bute Council a bit about North Connel;

Challenge over Oban Airport upgrade costs - Press & Journal
Maybe they should stop on their way up to Scotland, maybe a good starting point would be somewhere near Coventry. :oh:
They might not have to come any further north.:mad:

Capt Whisky Whisky
9th Sep 2008, 14:28
Maybe they should stop on their way up to Scotland, maybe a good starting point would be somewhere near Coventry. :oh:

What does that mean?

Anyhoo, life continues as normal in Argyll.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/TCH_photo/09-09-2008031110PM.jpg

WW

connel flyer
15th Sep 2008, 01:52
I hear the airfield SQUATTER has been moved on from his free lodgings at the airfield.!!!!:D:D:D

Well done the campainers. Thanks A.B.C!!!!

Seems he never had all the clout he thought he had.!!!
I would say just another nail in the box .

CF

Capt Whisky Whisky
16th Sep 2008, 11:19
Apparently, one of the few at Oban who threw their lot in with Peter Jackson, took advantage of their temporary favored status to (alledgedly) install a mobile passion wagon on the airport.

They have now been evicted.

Much glee ensued.:E

WW

NorthSouth
25th Sep 2008, 17:06
A while ago I said:It seems Highland Airways will be reducing capacity on the Oban-Coll/Colonsay service in the winter timetable. The latest AIP update, valid from 23 October, changes the Coll and Colonsay opening hours so that both are open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Colonsay open earlier and later than Coll.Well, very peculiar, the Highland Airways timetable continues to show Coll services being operated on Mondays and Wednesdays and the Colonsay service on Tues and Thurs. So as we have it at the moment, services to Coll will be illegal from 23 October because they will be operating from an airfield which isn't licensed at the time the aircraft lands. All a bit silly really, it surely can't be that hard to co-ordinate licensing hours with scheduled service hours.
NS

Gelande Strasse
25th Sep 2008, 17:59
On looking closer at the relevant page http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/amend28/6A000.pdf you'll see that the hours mentioned in para AD 2.3 for operating hours are inconsistant with those for comms AD 2.18

It looks rather like NATS have got summer and winter mixed up because comms shows open at 15:00 and closed 16:30!

Still, we await the winter timetable and concurrent announcment of the schedule reduction. I wonder if anyone noticed that they were on strike yesterday (up the workers :ok:).

GS

BTW isn't it rather bizarre that Colonsay and Coventry are juxtaposed in the notice?

Ken Wells
25th Sep 2008, 22:04
This thread has got to be re-:cool:worked as a script for a TV show, there is more drama in the Western Isles Aviation than in all the crappy soaps on TV.

Priceless!:ok:

Capt Whisky Whisky
27th Sep 2008, 10:44
From the Colonsay Corncrake.
THE AERODROME IS NOW OPEN!

Yes, yes, we know you know that our new aerodrome opened for business a few weeks back. But it hadn't been opened officially! And that just won't do, will it?

And so, on Friday last, more officials than you could shake a stick at appeared at the aerodrome to pat one another on the back and to declare that the aerodrome was now OFFICIALLY open!
Formalities over, the mass of officialdom then retired to The Colonsay to nail the lie that there is no such thing as a free lunch. A good time, we believe, was had by all, despite some heckling from the Colonsay public, unhappy that the much-trumpeted promise of our schoolkids getting home each weekend has already been broken. But that's a story for another Corncrake, and we believe that our new Editor-in-waiting will report on this travesty in an early Issue.

WW

lauchiemb
15th Oct 2008, 07:34
Having recently made a trip using runways at Oban, Coll and Tiree, I have to tell all those doubters and pessimists how good it all is there. Facilities are excellenta and the new runways are a joy to fly from.

Definately a job well done by the council and thank goodness that they took little or no notice from those that use this forum.

Lurking123
15th Oct 2008, 08:21
I would agree that the facilities are very good. However, throw enough money at a sow's ear and you can ultimately make a silk purse.

Capt Whisky Whisky
15th Oct 2008, 13:00
Definately a job well done by the council and thank goodness that they took little or no notice from those that use this forum.

Or anyone else that knows anything about the business of aviation,
or for that matter, the people who pay their wages!

I take it from your address, that you are not one of the rate payers of Argyll who have to live with the consequences of this ego driven clusterf**k.

WW

NorthSouth
5th Nov 2008, 22:00
Ah, wonderful, on the third attempt to get the opening hours for Coll and Colonsay right they've now (November edition of AIP) decided that having Coll licensed on the same day that the schedules operate is a good idea after all.

Meanwhile on the traffic front, 50 pax were carried between Oban and Tiree in Sept compared to 56 in August.

NS

Phil Space
6th Nov 2008, 16:16
From the Press & Journal

Plane’s wasted trip because pupils not told of arrival
unscheduled flight to Colonsay returned empty because no one knew it was coming

Published: 05/11/2008

A council sent a subsidised plane on a wasted journey to the Hebrides after failing to tell its intended passengers when it was to arrive.

The flight went to Colonsay, before returning to Oban Airport empty.

It was sent by Argyll and Bute Council with the intention of collecting island pupils who attend Oban High School, who had been home for the October holidays. But the council did not tell parents, or pupils, about the unscheduled flight.

The cancellation of a scholar flight to pick up children from Coll, because there were no takers, saw untimetabled arrangements made to run the one-off extra flight to Colonsay.

But Colonsay parent Seumas McNeill, whose daughter Caitlin, 15, and son Liam, 12, attend Oban High School, said: “We got a phone call about 3pm on the Sunday from the guy who works at the airport asking if we knew about a plane that had been organised to pick up our kids, and we said we didn’t.

“He said the plane was on its way, but I have a print-out of when to be expecting our children to go backwards and forwards on the plane and it isn't due until this Saturday morning.

“It only takes 20 minutes to get to the island, so there was no way we could get the children organised. My son was expecting to go back to Oban on the ferry the next day.”

He said the parents of the other three high school children who were home on the island at the time had been in the same position and the plane was sent back to Oban empty.

Mr McNeill said Colonsay was not getting a fair deal as the 20 high school children living on Coll get three return school flights a month, whereas Colonsay's seven pupils get only one.

Councillor Robin Currie, who represents Colonsay, said: “I think it's stupidity to send a plane out empty. If there is nobody actually booked on a plane it shouldn't go.”

A spokeswoman for Argyll and Bute Council said: “There was a misunderstanding and measures will be put in place to ensure that this does not happen again.

“The scholar flights have been very successful since they started three months ago.

“And the council remains committed to ensuring that children from Coll and Colonsay who attend Oban High School can continue to use this service and travel home more frequently during term time.”

Phil Space
6th Nov 2008, 16:21
I'm surprised no one mentioned this report from The Scotsman;

Empty flights cost taxpayers £300 per seat

Published Date: 12 October 2008
By David Leask
TAXPAYERS are being forced to pay out more than £300 a seat for air routes with almost no passengers and "zilch" economic benefits, Scotland on Sunday can reveal.
So few people have booked on Argyll Air Services that 27 flights were cancelled in July and August because there were no passengers. Yet the local authority behind the airport scheme still has to pay over £30,000 a month to the airline running the services, whether the flights take off or not.

The payments come on top of an £8.9m upgrade of Oban Airport and its satellite airfields on the islands of Coll and Colonsay.

Argyll business leaders are angry about the cost of the scheme, especially when ferry, road and rail links are also in desperate need of investment.

Stewart Farmer, of the Federation of Small Businesses, yesterday attacked the spending and said: "The economic benefits from this project appears to be zilch."

Figures obtained by Scotland on Sunday show uptake from islanders and people wishing to visit the islands has been very slow. An average of 135 passengers were carried to or from Coll and Tiree a month in July and August. The figure for Colonsay was even lower, at 65. That indicates only around one in four possible tickets were sold and compares with 1,000 passengers flying between Tiree and Glasgow in July.

Basil O'Fee, the managing director of Highland Airways, which operates the flights, admitted demand had been inconsistent. "The numbers have been clumpy," he said. "One day you will get a whole group going and the next day there won't be anybody."

But O'Fee believes that, with better advertising, next summer's results will be improved. "The pre-marketing wasn't very strong," he said.

Argyll and Bute Council declined to say how much they were paying Highland Airways, citing commercial confidentiality. Sources, however, insisted the figure was more than £30,000 a month.

Senior figures in the council, including its former leader Allan Macaskill, believed Oban Airport could turn into the Newquay of the north, providing direct services to Glasgow, Edinburgh and even the continent.

Critics argue that Oban Airport now has less business than it did before its upgrade. Iain MacDonald, chairman of the community council in Ardchattan, the area north of Oban which includes the airport, said: "What was once a small-scale low-cost sustainable operation has become a dwindling asset and financial liability to the public purse.

"Nothing is being done to address the decline. After spending millions of pounds the council have left us much worse off than we were before they started."

A spokesman for the council insisted: "Oban Airport is a wonderful new facility which is a major benefit to the people of Argyll and Bute.

"We are confident the air services will support economic development in the area as well as attracting more visitors."

Capt Whisky Whisky
8th Nov 2008, 15:52
Oban Times Front Page Nov 6 2008http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/TCH_photo/11-08-2008111755AM.jpg?t=1226162404

Capt Whisky Whisky
7th Apr 2009, 20:51
http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news ... 5145555.jp (http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news ... 5145555.jp)

Isn't this where Peter Jackson went after he was asked to leave Oban?:E

WW

Hyperborean
8th Apr 2009, 09:21
Funnily enough, when I clicked on the link I got an almost blank screen, the only content being the statement,"Bad request,"!!!!

Phil Space
8th Apr 2009, 11:05
Peter Jackson is the general manager of operations at Coventry Airport.
However looking at what is happening there perhaps lack of operations would be a better description.:ok:

The link to the story that Capt WW was trying to post is :

Coventry Airport 'could be dissolved' - Leamington Spa Today - Back to Home Page (http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/Coventry-Airport-39could-be-dissolved39.5145555.jp)

You might also like to look at http://www.coventryairport.co.uk/downloads/consultative_committee_minutes_22_january_2009.doc

It seems that business at Coventry is heading south. Now where has that happened before:D

LysanderV8
8th Apr 2009, 19:18
I find I have quite missed this "soap thread". How is Oban doing these days?

Aussie Andy
10th Apr 2009, 00:29
Myself and two copilots have a trip planned later this month to Glenforsa, so two questions:

1) can we land & park overnight at Glenforsa (the hotel at the strip was fully booked when we called to ask, so we plan to stay in the nearby village)?

2) will we be able to get fuel at Oban?

I gather from reading various threads that there has been some doubt re- both of these points at various times, so is it all OK now, or should we plan to go elsewhere?

Andy

The Original GF
10th Apr 2009, 08:20
Yes you can land at Glenforsa, PPR.
You will get fed and watered at the Glenforsa Hotel where you can also hire a car if needed.
Local information from local pilots is also available. 01680 300 377

Paul Keegan will take care of your fuel needs at Oban. Call 01631 710 888

See you when you get here.

OGF:ok:

Aussie Andy
10th Apr 2009, 14:35
Many thanks indeed - have PM'd you. We'll be there Bank Holiday weekend (25/26/27) - only shame is your hotel fully booked. Might take you up on the car hire - will call you. Glad

about fuel all OK at Oban as well, now all we need is some decent VFR on the Bank Holiday... now, what're the chances...!?

Andy :ok:

Portree Regional
10th Apr 2009, 19:25
Is Glenforsa open again? We've been planning a trip for a while but it still says the following on their website:

Glenforsa Airfield - Flight Information (http://www.glenforsaairfield.co.uk/2.html)

'Due to the vulnerability of damage to the runway surface, Glenforsa will be closed to all fixed wing aircraft until the winter has passed. An inspection will be carried out in January 2009 with a view to deciding to allow use from February 2009. This may be inconvenient to some, but not as inconvenient as the damage that was caused last year which was only repaired fully in May. This action will prevent a repeat of last year and the associated costs involved.

Both windsleeves have been taken down and will be set up when the airfield is ready to accept aircraft again. The agricultural lease allows for sheep to be on the airfield every day right through until end of March therefore anybody over flying Glenforsa should not do so at low level'

eharding
10th Apr 2009, 20:18
We'll be there Bank Holiday weekend (25/26/27) - only shame is your hotel fully booked.

I suspect that might be our fault - you've picked the weekend that coincides with Exercise Spring Funky Monkey '09, a wholesale relocation from White Waltham to Glenforsa.

Currently expected are 4 x Yak-52, 1 x Yak-18, 1 x Yak-50, 1 x Nanchang, 1 x Maule, 1 x RV-8, 1 x C182, 1 x C172, 2 x PA-32, 1 x PA-28R

....and one very, very hungry Gorilla.

The Gorilla is expected to be conducting high-energy eating manoeuvres, and may not be able to conform to the Rules of the Air (if he thinks he might be late back for lunch), but you should be perfectly safe providing you don't get between The Gorilla and his food.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Aussie Andy
11th Apr 2009, 08:43
you've picked the weekend that coincides with Exercise Spring Funky Monkey '09Sounds like fun - look forward to seeing you all there!

We'll be in a more sedate a/c - pipe & slippers by comparison to your lot..!

Will look to hook up with you all in the bar and get taxi back to the other hotel in the town :)

Andy

Capt Whisky Whisky
11th Apr 2009, 18:11
Is Glenforsa open again? We've been planning a trip for a while but it still says the following on their website:

Ignore that, the airport management is probably too 'tired' to sort out the web site.

A couple of ruts were used as an excuse to shut down the airfield for 6 months.

WW:E

The real Iceman
12th Apr 2009, 13:02
We have a big flyin to Glenforsa planned for the weekend of the 19th - 21st June so it's most definitely open.

The real Iceman :cool:

eharding
12th Apr 2009, 20:56
We'll be there Bank Holiday weekend (25/26/27)

Now you've got me confused - the Bank Holiday weekend is not the 25/27/27th, but the following one.....or is this an Aussie Bank Holiday?

Aussie Andy
13th Apr 2009, 09:32
Whoops you're right - we're going 2/3/4 May (the Bank Holiday) ... my addled mind was mixing up dates with this trip and another the week before (boating not flying..!)

I normally rely on my wife to let me know what day it is, and what day things will happen in the future - must get her to watch over my shoulder when on the forums..!

Andy ;)

mad_jock
13th Apr 2009, 10:34
The Gorilla is expected to be conducting high-energy eating manoeuvres, and may not be able to conform to the Rules of the Air

I thought the hotel had joined the health crazy world and dumped its deep fat fryers.

Starters include salad leaf with dribble of some fancy vinegar

Main course is venison fillet with salad and a couple of boiled spuds.

Pudding is organic home made ice cream one scoop.

Breakfast is fruit salad with yoghurt, porridge or bran flakes.

;)

dont overfil
13th Apr 2009, 11:05
Mad Jock,
I hope not. My joints need some grease.
I can't eat vegetables, it would be like cannablism for me.
DO.

mad_jock
13th Apr 2009, 11:26
I believe the tofu and spinach wholemeal lasagne is very tasty. :8

connel flyer
13th Apr 2009, 11:34
Mad Jock

I poped into the Glenforsa hotel last night for some food and i can tell you the deep fat fryers are still there i had Venison burger with home made chips and salad as always great food.

Keep up the good work :ok::ok:

CF

mad_jock
13th Apr 2009, 11:52
I was taking the wee you muppets as if any Hotel on the west coast of Scotland is going to get healthy or not do a full Fry up Breakfast.

The only healthy progress which is more by chance than anything else is the number of places that do Bambi burgers and stews etc.

Long live the scottish deep fat fryer and all that may have heart attacks due to her.

Anyway you shouldn't be eating salad on the west coast of scotland just think of your carbon foot print getting it there. Fish and chips is by far the most eco friendly thing you can have. ;)

eharding
13th Apr 2009, 12:07
Thank goodness for that.

What are the symptoms of a panic attack, by the way? - because I think I've just had one.

Say again s l o w l y
13th Apr 2009, 13:44
Don't worry Ed, I'd have brought over some vegtable oil, a deep fat fryer and a whole pallet of mars bars, just to ensure the Yaks had enough energy to "work, rest and play."

englishal
13th Apr 2009, 13:50
we're going 2/3/4 May
The following Bank holiday - 23,24,25 may is the Fly in which I am tempted to go to.

PH-UKU
13th Apr 2009, 20:12
I'm hoping to come up in DRAM for the weekend of the 1st-4th May too .... :) Guess I'll be getting my feet wet and camping under the wing with the midges for company ?

Shall I bring a kite ? :}

Say again s l o w l y
13th Apr 2009, 22:34
If you're camping under the wing in DRAM, then you'll be getting more than your feet wet!

The Original GF
15th Apr 2009, 18:22
I thought the hotel had joined the health crazy world

Glenforsa Hotel, Best Sellers

Mull Mussels Steamed in White Wine & Garlic or Lemon Grass, Chilli & Garlic

Grilled Goat’s Cheese Log with Roasted Peppers in Garlic Oil

Tobermory Smoked Trout Cream Cheese & Chive Roulade in a Lemon Butter Oil

Tobermory Smoked Trout & Spinach Soufflé

Home Cured Gravlax of Salmon with Horseradish & Mustard Dressing

Seared Mull Scallops with Crispy Belly Pork

Seared Mull Scallops with Chorizo & Rocket

Wild Boar Terrine with Mango Chutney

Orkney Sweet Cured Herring with Mixed Leaf Salad

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Baked Mediterranean Vegetables & Goats Cheese Filo Tart

Pan Roasted Loin of Lamb with Port & Redcurrant Jus

Salen Smoked Haddock with Rarebit Crust

Wild Mushroom & Spinach Crepes baked in White Wine Gruyere Sauce

Char Grilled Scottish Rib Eye Steak with ****ake Mushrooms & Home Fries

Medallions of Pork Loin with apples in a Cider & Rosemary Glaze

Pan Fried Scottish Salmon with Red Wine & Bacon Sauce

Fillet of Chicken Stuffed with Haggis in Whisky Sauce

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sticky Toffee Pudding with Ice Cream or Custard

Lemon Tart with Fresh Strawberry

Spiced Pear, Poached in Wine with Chocolate Sauce & Ice Cream

Marmalade Pudding with Drambuie Custard

Fresh Strawberry Cranachan with Tobermory Whisky Cream

All of our food uses fresh ingredients and is cooked to order, so please be patient

Open from 12 until 8 every day

Cheers

OGF

eharding
15th Apr 2009, 18:29
I have actually just gone weak at the knees reading that. No, really. I have.

I don't even know what a "Cranachan" is, but know I want three of them.

The Original GF
15th Apr 2009, 19:07
I don't even know what a "Cranachan" is, but know I want three of them.

Glenforsa Whiskey Cranacan

Alternate layers of toasted oats, Whiskey cream and fresh strawberrys.

Cheers:ok:

OGF

mad_jock
15th Apr 2009, 19:20
Looks bloody superb.

Enjoy your weekend boys it looks like your going to be extremely well fed (which is what I expected in the first place)

And edited to add after re-reading that it, looks pretty bloody healthy to me.

I keep coming back though to the chicken stuffed with haggis.

jaycee46
16th Apr 2009, 11:21
Chicken & Haggis - to die for! Closely followed by the (in)famous Bambi Burger. :ok: I'm told the fish is pretty special too, but I don't use the stuff myself! Must get back to Mull soon.

With all these aviators munching Brendan & Alison's magnificent fare, perhaps they should be looking at putting an extra few metres on the end of the strip, just in case! :)

Glenforsa Whiskey Cranacan

BTW Original GF, since when did Scotch Whisky acquire the 'e'?

Human Factor
16th Apr 2009, 14:41
Ed,

If it all goes horribly wrong, we can leave the air tank and spare pants behind which should mean we can fit a few extra Ginsters in the 182. Leave the covers and you should have room for a couple in the Yak Sack as well!:}

HF

Pudnucker
16th Apr 2009, 19:45
No cheese souffle on your menu anymore? :rolleyes:

Did you get rid of it after my undercarriage "let itself down" last summer?? I can assure you it wasn't because I ate too much while there!!!

The Original GF
17th Apr 2009, 09:57
BTW Original GF, since when did Scotch Whisky acquire the 'e'?

When I became Irish:ok:

OGF

Wide-Body
17th Apr 2009, 11:29
Looks like I'm going to be an even wider body.

looking forward to seeing everybody over the weekend.

eharding
17th Apr 2009, 11:51
With all these aviators munching Brendan & Alison's magnificent fare, perhaps they should be looking at putting an extra few metres on the end of the strip, just in case! :)

Indeed. In fact, after reviewing the revised STOL characteristics of the Maule, with Wide-Body and The Gorilla on board, I understand the provision of arrestor gear and a steam catapult on the runway has been considered.

Steam Catapult
17th Apr 2009, 16:05
yes

i was asked but am busy that weekend so unfortunately i cannot help

have fun

steam catapult:)

Trim & Proper
17th Apr 2009, 16:33
Glenforsa - best meal in the Highlands - best Sunset view from a bar - and the friendliest welcome ever ....

I'll be back !!!!! :D

mad_jock
17th Apr 2009, 18:15
I am sure if you forewarned them OGF could provide haggis neeps and brussel sprouts for wide-body and Gorilla.

Then with a bit of CRM and an emergency pair of pants just in case a JATO departure shouldn't be to much effort.

BRL
17th Apr 2009, 18:18
So with all this free advertising and sorting out past issues do I get a free pint if I pitch up one day? :)

The Original GF
17th Apr 2009, 19:35
So with all this free advertising and sorting out past issues do I get a free pint if I pitch up one day? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Oh Yus, but I didn't start this!

OGF

GYAKR
27th Apr 2009, 18:31
Anyone privy to the plans for heading to Glenforsa this weekend ?
I'm in the Yak 50 (YAKK) from North Weald & will probably be in the Lakes Thursday/Friday based out of Kirkbride & fueling from Carlisle..

Couldn't get hold of John Ware to confirm the plan & stumbled upon this thread c/o google

Ta in advance

Andy Wilson

fisbangwollop
27th Apr 2009, 20:14
I am on duty saturday morning Scottish Info 119.875mhz........give us a call on the way north and you will be sure of a cheery service....enjoy the trip guys:ok:

eharding
27th Apr 2009, 21:06
Anyone privy to the plans for heading to Glenforsa this weekend ?
I'm in the Yak 50 (YAKK) from North Weald & will probably be in the Lakes Thursday/Friday based out of Kirkbride & fueling from Carlisle..

Couldn't get hold of John Ware to confirm the plan & stumbled upon this thread c/o google

Ta in advance

Andy Wilson

Pprune - when no other collector frequency will do....you have a PM. :)

ak7274
28th Apr 2009, 08:22
Flew up to Glenforsa for the weekend 18/19th. Airstrip was in excellent condition and Scottish info was very helpful and pleasant, especially to a recent PPL.:D
Coming from EGNU we routed Maryport/Turnberry/Holy Island(Arran)/Crinan Canal/Lismore Island and straight up the Sound of Mull.
Can the scenery get much better than this?
Have a good trip people.:)

fisbangwollop
28th Apr 2009, 16:42
ak7274........glad you enjoyed the service....and the scenery....look frward to talking again soon.:ok:

flybymike
28th Apr 2009, 22:36
May I ask what GF's policy is regarding no show hotel bookings due to weather? ( A significant possibility in the Scottish climes) Does one still have to pay for the room etc?

eharding
28th Apr 2009, 23:30
May I ask what GF's policy is regarding no show hotel bookings due to weather? ( A significant possibility in the Scottish climes) Does one still have to pay for the room etc?

Personally, my backup plan to get at the Glenforsa dinner menu if the weather doesn't play fair for Yaks is to either walk - a fair step from White Waltham, but worth it - or we borrow that Caravan that keeps turning up at the Waltham pumps, while the driver isn't looking, and parachute in through the clag. I did contemplate taking the train, but then realised that was just silly.

Aussie Andy
1st May 2009, 21:22
Looks like the weather might just be good enough - looking forward to heading off tomorrow morning!

Andy :)

BRL
2nd May 2009, 00:40
Have a safe trip lads. Looking forward to seeing the pics :)

TheGorrilla
3rd May 2009, 23:20
"Dogs Knob!" as my old sim instructor used to whisper in my ear when I flew a good IR profile in the box. That is pretty much how I would describe the last weekend in GF and Colonsay.

Sad thing is... I'm home too soon :{. Darn wx.

Even worse... I got home and stood on the bathroom scales :ugh:. Like Wide-Body suggests... I have a wider body! Food was to die for! Lovely lovely lovely... I'm considering buying a smoker myself now.

Maybe a late summer trip chaps?

P.s. Please censor the photos before you put them on here chaps! You know the ones I mean!!

The Original GF
4th May 2009, 14:52
Gorrilla, check your pm's

OGF

nosignificantweather
4th May 2009, 16:41
Would love to see the pictures taken during the fly-ins.

NSW.