PDA

View Full Version : How about this for an idea?

Birky
16th Apr 2008, 14:04
Now that I have spent all my money on my shiny new CPL/IR/ME/MCC,and still haven't got hint of a job, I think I have hit on two brilliant and cunning plans for financial survival...

1. Set up a new online business called "Ships Library".com and sell all my well-thumbed aviation books to new wannabees. They get the books on the cheap, I get to buy some food to eat from ALDI. You could sell/hire/lend yours too if you like.

2. Do over another building society like Adam Applewotsit. Can anyone lend me their stepladders?

Wodgerfink? Anyone else got any ideas?

Birky

:ok:

Whirlygig
16th Apr 2008, 14:30
Number 1 has been done and it's called Ebay!!! Number 2, maybe but don't get caught!

Cheers

Whirls

MIKECR
16th Apr 2008, 14:32
you could always go and blow another 25 or 30k on a TR and Line training like some complete halfwits do!

doctordoom
16th Apr 2008, 15:00
Sell a Kidney, become a drug dealer or even better you could get a job flying for some drug dealer's :ok:

AlphaMale
16th Apr 2008, 15:16
Dr Doom ... don't give him ideas, people can get desperate when times are tough :E

I'm not in the same situation 'yet' but am looking for as many ways as possible to get the 'extra' cash. My 9-5 job pays my bills and allows me to put a couple of quid aside for flight training and there is never any over time, I've just downgraded my car (TDi) to save on fuel bills and insurance and will be selling my motorbike to fund my ATPL GS.

I get tempted to phone the numbers 'Want to earn an extra £200 a week call this number 0***' :(

After spending years in Uni and having the student debt to show for it I wonder why I bothered (WWW will say I told you all). I was speaking to a friend (also a graduate) and he's driving white vans in the area for £500-£700 a week take home. THAT'S MORE THAN I EARN! ... And you don't need to blow £15k on a degree learning to drive a white transit either :confused:

I am seriously tempted to see if I can get a job with him, I'll happily give up my web developer job drive vans for more wonga!

I think 'Option 2' was the best idea ... chicks love the bad guys too ;)

Rugbyears
16th Apr 2008, 15:16
Birky - Whats your total spend so far..?

AlphaMale
16th Apr 2008, 15:25
What are you like at finding people?

This (http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/terbinladen.htm) guy has a reward if you can find him :cool: ... I looked under my bed but he's not there :confused:

chileconcarne27
16th Apr 2008, 15:25
You could always apply for the newly opened positions of Head of Operations or Head Of Customer Service for BA at T5!!!

4KBeta
16th Apr 2008, 15:45
Web development? People still do that ;)

Get out of that and start getting some project management work under your belt.

charliegolf
16th Apr 2008, 20:16
I get to buy some food to eat from ALDI

You could work for Aldi: Area Manager Trainee- £39K and an A4. To start!

"Spend a Little, Live a Lot"

CG (whose daughter is doing just that)

Electricflyer
16th Apr 2008, 22:47
What, an Aldi A4? :O

charliegolf
17th Apr 2008, 08:14
What, an Aldi A4?

Spot on, so she "Lives a little and drives a lot"

CG

Ollie268
17th Apr 2008, 08:36
"You could always apply for the newly opened positions of Head of Operations or Head Of Customer Service for BA at T5!!!"

I have a feeling theres going to be lots of new positions opening up at T5.... :} ;)

AvEnthusiast
17th Apr 2008, 10:18
Hi Birky,

I'm also planning to spend all I have, on my PPL,CPL/IR & ME and after that I won't have any thing other than those stated above with 200 hrs flight experience. So should I go for it or...? But, it's my passion and i'm fond fo it. Well I'm asking you because you can feel the sitaution easily.

AlphaMale
17th Apr 2008, 10:27
Web development? People still do that ;)

Get out of that and start getting some project management work under your belt.

I'd happily move on but with flight training only around the corner and being settled in my current job (taking up to 6 weeks of for flight training is not a problem with them) I wouldn't want to change career where I need to learn new skills while studying my my ATPL GS :bored:

Robbing a bank seems much easier :ok: ... Or finding Osama for $25M

Birky
17th Apr 2008, 15:26
Thanks guys, gosh, if i could have a pound for each of your good ideas i'd have, er, £11.

But seriously, (aventhusiast and rugbyears) the financial experience for me has been as follows:

Aug 05 - Nov 05 - PPL (£6)
Jan 06 - Apr 07 - ATPLs (£2k)
Apr 07 - Jun 07 - 80 hours of hours building in the US (£6k)
Jul 07 - Sep 07 - CPL (£5k)
Sep 07 - Oct 07 - Multi engine Rating, Seneca (£2k)
Oct 07 - Feb 08 - Multi-engine Instrument Rating, DA42 Twinstar (£9k)
Feb 08 - Mar 08 - Jet B737 MCC Course (£4k)

Total cost of courses = appx £34k
Fees to CAA = £4k

Food, accommodation (in London and San Diego), airfares (to US), visas (for US), train fares (Manchester/London), pre-interview sim brush-up courses (Dublin), sending printed CVs, catfood, pot noodles = £17k.

If I am to become even remotely employable with a jet operator...

Type rating plus line training = £32k
Food and accom = £3k

So, that's, er, £34k + £4k + £17k + £32k + £2k = £89,000 before interest.

Interest payable on above sums over 15 years = appx £40,000

TOTAL COST appx £129,000

AND>>>>>>

Total time spent not earning anything (a figure many people forget to factor in) = 30 months so far at let's say £2k/month = £60k.

Total implied cost of getting into a RHS of a jet = about £189,000.

Remaining years of useful employment (in my case) = 17 years. That means I have to earn a net yearly salary of £11,117 just to break even.

Sort of terrifying really. However, I'm an eternal optimist just like you!

:ok: