PDA

View Full Version : Switch - ATCO to Heli Pilot

Sweet Potatos
15th Apr 2008, 15:29
Hey guys,

read loads on the "so you wand to be" sticky ... but was just interested to see how many former ATCO's have made the switch from the groundy bit to flying?

I must be mad, but having just qualified on Approach radar, I'm looking for another challenge ... maybe trying to find the perfect pint or understanding women would be a better more financially viable option .... :ok: :E

g-mady
15th Apr 2008, 18:08
hey Sweet Potatos,

Cant answer your question but was wondering what was involved in getting to where you are now? How long has it taken?
No CPL work around and wondered what its like in your job?

MADY

Sweet Potatos
17th Apr 2008, 18:34
Hey mate, been valid tower and approach(without using radar) for just about 2 years and really just got the approach radar bit in the last 8 months.

Hard work, but really enjoyable courses. I started off flying and never thought I'd enjoy ATC till I (randomly)got into it.

Company paid for all of my training and got paid reasonably handsomely along the way too, so all in was really good. :ok:

Job is good fun, can be hard work, and it's the crap from the company that detracts from the job itself, but you get that in all industrys, so all in it's great.

Great job to get into. and for me it'll be a great fall back job if the flying doesn't work out. If I were you I'd just try and press on through the dark hours! Jobs are there eventually - from what I hear it's IR or bust though!!

Thing is ... I've got the flying itch back again! Bugger!! This will get expensive!!

Bravo73
17th Apr 2008, 18:58
Sweet Potatos,

I've not personally heard of any ex-ATCOs who are now heli pilots. But I do know of a couple who are ATPL/CPL(A)s.

Chilli Monster is one (although I think that his 'dayjob' is ATC whilst he flies freelance.) He might be able to answer some of your questions.

HTH

Foxy Loxy
17th Apr 2008, 19:22
Sweet P,

Can I be cheeky and ask you to PM me your current unit? Just so that I know who to sneak an early CV to assuming you succeed as a heli pilot ;-)

Foxy

Sweet Potatos
17th Apr 2008, 21:06
That depends foxy ... I'm leaving my current unit, so the question is do you want my current unit or the next unit .... or should I say ... my future ex unit? :E
:ok:

212man
17th Apr 2008, 21:46
I've not personally heard of any ex-ATCOs who are now heli pilots. But I do know of a couple who are ATPL/CPL(A)s.

Well, I can vouch for at least one - female, ex-Bristow, now with CHC Global I believe (WW).

Bladecrack
17th Apr 2008, 21:48
Sweet,

A mate of mine is a current TWR/APP controller, who passed the last of his ATPL's last month and is in the middle of his CPL(H) course at the minute. He must be mad... :}

BC

jonseagull
30th Apr 2008, 09:54
I did it !

Trainee tower controller at Aberdeen to Bristows on the Puma in the mid eighties.

atcomarkingtime
1st May 2008, 22:25
wish i could do it....sit there working helis all day on radar...thinking if the other side would be nice or not!!!