PDA

View Full Version : NPPL to JAR-FCL PPL

BFMD
15th Apr 2008, 13:02
I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advice on the requirements for me to convert my NPPL SSEA into a JAR -FCL PPL. My case is a little unusual I would imagine as I am an instructor in the Air Cadets on the Vigilant TMG. I used the hours on that (500+ hours) to gain my NNPL using the regulations below:

http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/NPPLXCREV07_000.pdf

Page 5

The holder of the ATC Instructor's Qualification valid for the Vigilant Motor Glider who wishes to obtain
a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating shall:
a. Produce log book evidence of having satisfactorily completed flying training on single-engine
piston aeroplanes under the supervision of a FI(A), which must include
(1) Not less than 1 hour dual instruction in stall/spin awareness and avoidance;
(2) Not less than 1 hour dual instrument appreciation;
(3) Not less than 1 hour supervised solo flight;
(4) Not less than 4 hours navigation training or successful completion of the ‘Air Cadet
Vigilant Transit Qualification' training syllabus, including at least one solo cross-country
navigation exercise;
b. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examinations;
c. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;
d. Pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA.

Since completing my NPPL I've flown about 40 hours P1 in single engine piston aircraft (PA28's and C150's). I've read LASORS thoroughly and there is a mention of Vigilant hours in Section C page 3 but it doesn't answer my question. I've emailed the CAA, but they have just referred me back to LASORS. I've spoken to an instructor at my flying club and he thinks I "might" only required to do discretional training, the 150 nm cross country and the skills test.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lister Noble
15th Apr 2008, 17:26
It might be an idea to post this in the instructor section as well.
Good luck
Lister

BEagle
16th Apr 2008, 06:34
We were able to obtain the ATC credits towards the NPPL SSEA because both are entirely national qualifications and have nothing to do with JAR-FCL.

However, the PPL is a JAR-FCL licence and a direct application for a PPL with SEP Class Rating would require you to complete 20 hours on aeroplanes with a JAR-FCL FI, amongst other things.

Your best bet would probably be to obtain a JAR-FCL PPL with TMG Class Rating as follows (from LASORS 2008), then add the SEP Class Rating:

Any previous flying experience gained in TMG
aircraft (i.e. Vigilant) may be counted towards the
45 hour minima required for the grant of a JARFCL
PPL(A) with TMG rating. However the specific
requirements under JAR-FCL (25 hours dual
instruction and 10 hours supervised solo-flight time)
must be completed. Individuals who have already
met the 45 hour experience requirement will be
required to complete discretional flying training, at
a Registered Facility or Approved FTO.
One crosscountry flight of at least 270km (150nm),
during which full stop landings at two different
aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure
shall bemade, and pass the PPL(A) Skill Test with
a CAA Authorised TMG Examiner.
Individuals who then wish to obtain the SEP rating
will be required to complete an SEP Class Rating Skill Test

BFMD
16th Apr 2008, 20:12
Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the case BEagle. I looked into the TMG PPL before I did my NPPL and hit a brick wall at all my local clubs when it came to an examiner. Does anyone know of a TMG examiner up North?

Just to clarify BEagle, I could fly a couple of hours in a TMG with an instructor to familiarise myself with it, then do the cross country. The following day I could do the skills test in the TMG in the morning then jump into an SEP in the afternoon, do the skills test again and I would have a JAR-FCL PPL with a TMG and SEP rating on it?

Cheers again