PDA

View Full Version : ELUAS The Turnhouse Years

olddog
15th Apr 2008, 12:11
Hokay!

Who else remembers good times at Turnhouse with ELUAS? "Teaching the Old Dog New Tricks" "Abuse the Livestock"

My user name may reveal my identity to those who met me there - clue I was staff not a student.

I am considering organising an informal reunion in Edinburgh later in the year for all Staff and Studes who had the privilege of being on ELUAS at Turnhouse.

Feel free to PM me with your personal E Mail address if you would be interested

Monty77
15th Apr 2008, 20:22
Don't know the personalities, but Turnhouse, along with West Freugh, were top night stops. No Mess, and you got a glimpse of what rates were, if only for a night.

You always lost, because you spent more than the rate, but the memories generated were priceless.

I was there when West Freugh closed.

I'm 93, you know.

olddog
15th Apr 2008, 22:45
I was there when Turnhouse closed - a sad day, but I'm not as old as Monty! There was a Mess but entry was limited to a select few (Not much accommodation - and people enjoyed ging down town)

iss
15th Apr 2008, 23:05
I still have my pen saying 'I've been bollocked by S@@ch S@@@@r :ok:

grey_not_green
15th Apr 2008, 23:10
Count me in,
I was there at the bitter end, Chad and his piano playing skills were second to none..!!!

Cusco
15th Apr 2008, 23:42
Kongjun Shao Xiao 五月?? Can it be you?

WELL up for it.

Tigger. Reply to thread rather than PM me - Not my kit!!

olddog
16th Apr 2008, 08:31
Sorry Cusco - Me no understand chinee!

Please PM me with private E Mail if you want details of proposed reunion as I don't want to clog prune with the details. The venue and timings circulated only to those who sign up as requested.

grey not green - see above, I can't get your PM to work

goldcup
16th Apr 2008, 08:33
Ah, the Turnhouse closing party....

Naked piano burning as the London shuttle taxied past. T*m Wh***man in the boxing ring wearing some horrifically stained long johns. The "see how many people you can fit in the sauna" competition.

Happy days indeed!

nav2
16th Apr 2008, 19:56
As i remember 'that' piano burning was accompanied by studes in various states of undress singing 'Father Abrahams' as introduced to the Sqn by Steve L........as for TW's long johns - i've just had a nasty flashback!

grey_not_green
16th Apr 2008, 22:21
God, I can't get that sight out of my head......

:yuk::yuk::yuk:

BEagle
17th Apr 2008, 06:04
When did Turnhoos close?

Only went there once, for a JMC debrief. Had tea and stickies in the OM afterwards whilst the 2 of us waited for MT to take us to catch an AirUK flight back to Norwich, thence MT to Wattisham.

A friendly OM indeed!

olddog
17th Apr 2008, 08:25
BEAGS

Official closing date was 1 Apr 96 but the UAS and AEF moved to Leuchars before that. Turnhouse was supposed to have been redeveloped but most of it still stands sadly derilict. Some of the buildings are listed (Rudolph Hess was interogated in the original SHQ. Planning constraints and caveats going back to the original donation of the land for the airfield by local land owners "to the ministry of war for military purposes" restrict it's use. Rumour has it the land owners gave BAA some grief when they said that if the RAF didn't want the airfield any more they'd have it back now please!

olddog

mustpost
17th Apr 2008, 09:37
Again, not mil but I had been a guest in the mess on some occasions, and seem to remember doing a disco there in the early 70's. Grew up nearby, flew with cadets from there, and remember the airshows from the fifties and sixties vividly (especially the Vulcan!). Just posting for you guys who were there, passed it yesterday (16th) and it is looking very sad and derelict and all boarded up...:sad:

Union Jack
17th Apr 2008, 10:21
My elder brother loved his time with EUAS and actually gained his PFB before he learned to drive a car - perhaps an unusual variation on "Per ardua ad 'Astra' " .....

Incidentally, he was reading divinity so he really did become a "sky pilot" in the end!

Jack

stickmonkeytamer
17th Apr 2008, 21:45
I lost my "Satch bollocked me" pen- had it for years- he originally flew F-86s! A legend.

SMT

Mactlsm1
18th Apr 2008, 03:03
Not strictly EULAS, but I remember when Turnhouse used to be on the main road between Glasgow and Edinburgh. (A80?) (Before Edinburgh airport was built) I used to love to see the Spitfire that was the gate guadian there when I was treated to a trip to Edinburgh (from Stirling) with Mum & Dad. Many years later I used to "live in" there whilst posted in Edinburgh. Top place, apart from HQ P&SS (Scotland) of couse.

Mac

olddog
18th Apr 2008, 09:57
Twenty plus "joined up" so far. Late June or July looking likely for the get together. Any more ELUAS from Turnhouse out there?

olddog
23rd Apr 2008, 09:50
List increasing by the Day. Any more, especially from 80s and early 90s?

MRA4Man
24th Apr 2008, 20:17
Hi old man I was ELUAS between 1973 to 1977, great days especially watching the Trident 3Bs skiting off the end of 31 on SWerly crosswind. I am up for a reunion.:cool::D:8

olddog
30th Apr 2008, 18:31
Thanks to those who have shown an interest so far. Short questionaire sent by E Mail yesterday - a long address list so check your spam folders if you haven't seen it yet. Looks as though we should have a good number for the get together. Keep spreading the word, there are plenty more of us out there!!

Tis I
3rd May 2008, 15:28
Don't read the military aircrew as much now but glad I did today. Fond memories of ELUAS as my 1st QFI tour. This should also keep it on page 1.
T.

olddog
9th May 2008, 10:46
Things are firming up and we will definitely be getting together. If you have given me your E Mail address you should have had a questionaire - please reply.

Contact me here by PM if we have lost comms

Still room for late comers

Dan Gerous
9th May 2008, 20:04
I was in 287 Sqn ATC in Edinburgh, and got 20 Mins in a Chippy there in 1973. Shortly before they moved I went to Turnhouse to get some pics and well remember photographing a Chipmunk storming in at warp 7, pulling up and turning into the downwind leg, all against a blue sky. Got some distant pics of the day they either left, or Turnhouse closed altogether.

olddog
20th May 2008, 09:13
Date Fixed

Venue(s) to be announced soon

Any late comers welcome

PM me with an E Mail for details

olddog
4th Jul 2008, 08:03
Just a heads up for those who have indicated that they want to attend. You should have had a personal E Mail ahich requires a response. Please check your spam folders as the address list is quite long. Contact me by PM or E mail if you need details of Venue and Time. See you soon!

ozskins
18th Oct 2016, 09:07
Only nearly a decade late, but was telling my son about 'abusing the livestock' and came upon your post. I would have come as an early 90's man if I had known. Hope everyone is well.

gsa
18th Oct 2016, 10:59
A hastily written banner across the windows at Turnhouse while visiting for fuel was the first I knew my daughter had been born.

binbrook
18th Oct 2016, 11:15
Blast! Not a ppruner then and missed it!