PDA

View Full Version : Commercial training in US / newbie

kkelly77
15th Apr 2008, 11:12
Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm not a pilot or work in the industry but I am one of those who are contemplating the career change at 30.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum is currently training or has plans to train commercially in the US seeing as the dollar is so weak. Surely it would work out cheaper even with the JAA to FAA conversion. Is this the case? Thanks for the feedback .

K
(P.S. searched for the answer to this question but couldn't find an answer)

Knoxy777
15th Apr 2008, 11:49
Hi kkelly77,

I've booked a course at Ormond Beach Aviation in Florida, starting in July, lasting 10 weeks. They offer both JAA and FAA PPL/CPL. Ground school for ATPL is done in UK as well as the IR conversion to JAA.

I'm seriously thinking of doing an FI rating after this and hopefully building hours that way-lots of instructors make their way to TP's

Modular is definitely the best option at the moment. I've taken the time off work for this as unpaid leave, so I can continue to work when I come back and study for the exams etc at the same time. I wouldn't recommend giving up your job solely to do your flight training.

K

scooby79
15th Apr 2008, 15:44
As you are looking at doing it in the states I guess money is an issue so to do it the cheapest way stay away from schools that have anything to do with the JAA licensing as they put up their prices.

Find an FAA school and go all the way to FAA multi/IR CPL. Then come back to the UK and do distance learning for the ATPL exams. Once you have that out of the way do the JAA CPL single skills test in the UK after about 5 hours training. Then go to Spain and do the JAA multi IR after 10 hours in a sim and 5 in the aircraft. I say do the IR in Spain as they do not look down their noses at an FAA IR and treat you fairly, it is also a lot cheaper. Once you have all that out of the way do the MCC. You then have the option of working on FAA or EU registered aircraft.

The above works out far cheaper than going JAA all the way and you end up with more qualifications. You may get some idiots saying the FAA license is rubbish or that the IR in Spain is not respected but it is probably because they spent a sh*t load of money and ended up with the same license as you would. I have only ever had an FAA license and do not have the right to work in the US and am in the middle of the conversion process at the moment. I went as far as I thought I could with the FAA ATP as couldn't see how I could get out of little turboprops. I have lost interest a bit in the conversion though as start my A340 course soon as got a job during my ATPL study/exams.

BigGrecian
16th Apr 2008, 13:23
The above works out far cheaper

In theory it works out cheaper.

Having worked at a JAA school I have yet to see someone do that route cheaper or the same cost - who did not have previous experience, ie converting after 200 hours or so.

People do not normally convert in minimum conversion hours. If you want to fly JAA train JAA (and yes this can be done in the US)

scooby79
16th Apr 2008, 23:55
I have heard that most do the IR conversion in minimum time in Spain after only doing the FAA CPL/IR as it is the same thing, you have just done 40+ hours of IR training so why would it take longer. It does in the UK but thats just the UK though isn't it.