PDA

View Full Version : F4 Radar Control Panel

ORAC
14th Apr 2008, 22:07
Clearing house before I move. I have an F4 radar control panel*, obtained (fully legally) from one of the Falkland Island F4s on the morning after their last flight. Brought it home and, to my shame, it has sat in a cupboard ever since. If any one can offer it a better home, drop me a line.

*To be exact: Unit 12 Radar Set Control - 12FRO46 - C-8116B/APG-61, Ser BJJ066, NOw(A)66-0138, MFR:97942

Must be some misty eyed F4 mate or a geek out there.....

27mm
15th Apr 2008, 05:36
Nice one, ORAC. I'm sure there are plenty of F4 WSOs out there who would like to brush-up on their Man Track 1 and Man Track 2 technique.....speaking of which, do you recall the F4 Radar technique video, with the little gloved hand of Yoda moving the switches?

BEagle
15th Apr 2008, 06:03
The mysteries of battling the 'wiggly worm' - was that Man Track 2?

I recall our back seaters describing it as being nigh on impossible.

maxburner
15th Apr 2008, 08:17
Ah, Yoda's gloved hand moving in mystical fashion over the manual velocity knob!!!!! One of the highlights of the QWI course. A skill once mastered, never used again.

jimgriff
15th Apr 2008, 09:33
At the risk of being the GEEK - I'll add it to the collection here.
Dont suppose you have an ejection seat hanging around the cupboard as well?:E
I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice.
PM me for details.

Jim

High_Expect
15th Apr 2008, 13:42
oh god, what have you done.....?

I can hear them from here.... blah blah back on 74 blah blah..... they barely need an excuse.:ugh:

mally35
15th Apr 2008, 17:29
ORAC Check your PMs please.

FHA
15th Apr 2008, 19:13
How the hell did you get hold of that?!!
I was on the scrap team for that aircraft (i.e 1435's last F4 groundcrew tour). I don't remember radar LRU's being given away as souvenirs!
Forget that, I don't remember anything from that day (well, not after opening time). I wonder what happened to the gun pods?

ORAC
15th Apr 2008, 22:40
was on the scrap team for that aircraft (i.e 1435's last F4 groundcrew tour). I don't remember radar LRU's being given away as souvenirs! Forget that, I don't remember anything from that day (well, not after opening time). I wonder what happened to the gun pods?

I went down to try and recover the Falkland Island patch panels - to find the ground crew had trashed the lot, I mean literally, pick-axes put through all of them so they were unsalvageable. I could understand if they'd taken them for themselves, but just to destroy them...... OC Eng gave me the radar LRU as a consolation prize, so too speak.

FHA
16th Apr 2008, 02:32
I remember the Royal Engineers set about them with the excavators to turn them into razor blades. Just doing as ordered. Also, you have to puncture the fuel tanks etc. to vent them off.
I buggered off after the initial part because I didn't take any pleasure in trashing perfectly good aircraft, which I had put years into keeping airworthy. All of the actual Phantom Sqn guys felt the same.