PDA

View Full Version : Cheap LAA aircraft.

Roger Cottee
14th Apr 2008, 11:39
My friend and I have been thinking about buying a light aircraft once we have completed put NPPLs. At the moment we are working towards our Glider pilots licences which we then plan to convert. When it comes to buying an aircraft we have two options and we could do with some advice on what type of aircraft to go for.

Option 1.

Buy a volkplane or other dirt cheap aircraft. If split between the two of us the share price would be around £1250 but the insurance would be very expensive. To save on hangarige he proposes to tye the aircraft down outside, is this a good idea considering the aircraft is wooden?

Option 2.

Join a sydicate for an aircraft such as an Avid speedwing, if the sydicate was big enough the share price would be around the same price but the fixed costs would be lower. We would also have a lot more experiance in the group. But there would be less availability for the aircraft.

I am in favor of option 2 as I would be flying a much better aircraft but my friend would rather have a volksplane as he could fly the aircraft when ever he wanted to.

So in your experiance what would be the best option to go for?

Thanks
Roger Cottee.

Ground Loop
16th Apr 2008, 12:28
Roger

All wooden aircraft need to be hangered. If left outside for one English winter, the damage done may be beyond economical repair.

Syndicates do work depending on the number of members, The more members lower the fixed costs. But maintanice could be high if 50 and 100 hours checks come round quickly

Have you thought about joing a non equitable qroup where you pay a monthly sum and a hourly rate?

Also If you are learning to glide what about a share in a touring motor glider Grob 109B or a Dimona

GL