PDA

View Full Version : CH-53 Stallion - civilian operators ?

aseanaero
14th Apr 2008, 10:16
Are there any other civilian operators of CH-53s other than Heavy Lift Helicopters in California ?

Cyclic Hotline
14th Apr 2008, 14:18
No.

Heavylift was sold along with it's assets to Helicopter Transport Services, of Corvallis, Oregon.

aseanaero
14th Apr 2008, 14:23
Thanks Cyclic

skidbiter2
14th Apr 2008, 15:54
I thought someone was going to go down that line a few years back.....maybe it was you aseanaero?
That pesky ex military restricted category again I guess!?

aseanaero
14th Apr 2008, 17:30
I thought someone was going to go down that line a few years back.....maybe it was you aseanaero?

No , someone asked the question today and I didn't know the answer , I have some unusual clients

That pesky ex military restricted category again I guess!?

I think the days of restricted commercial ops for military are coming to an end soon , too many people crossing the line and pushing the interpretation of rules which is a pity , some roles like fire fighting need capable but cheap (to buy , not to run) assets that can sit around and do nothing for the rest of the year

And some developing countries just don't have the money for 'real' civilian helis

If I had $3 or $4 million tied up in a heli I would be upset if I felt someone with a $300,000 ex military aircraft was undercutting me and getting special treatment

I have to say the Stallion looks like a maintenance nightmare , what a complicated monster

I spoke to a friend in the US tonight and he said the Stallion didnt have a good safety record in civilian ops , probably related to maintaining and training on something designed with an unlimited budget being run on a comparative shoe string

Jack Carson
14th Apr 2008, 17:52
There were two machines sold to Heavy Lift. The US Government actually pulled back the contract from Heavy Lift at the 11th hour, but not before we had flown the first machine over the fence. That machine was then cannibalized for parts to fly the number two aircraft. In the beginning the total contract was for six flyable machines. Only two were delivered. Neither machine was delivered with serviceable main or tail rotor blades. It took more than six months to get the first machine ready for a ferry flight to Victorville. The second machine followed an additional six months after the first. In the end they both performed suprisingly well. I had actually had the honor of having flown N68HL in October 1974 on Okinawa and again 30 years later out of the desert in October 2004. "Old aircraft never die. They just enter into retirement, fighting fires"

aseanaero
14th Apr 2008, 18:04
Hi Jack , are they still flying now with the new company or grounded ?

Jack Carson
14th Apr 2008, 21:37
I have a hard time believing that HTS will be able to support these machines. Unlike the Crane, there is no factory or extended vendor support. As great as their potential, they may be slipping into obscurity.
Jack

heli1
16th Apr 2008, 07:52
I know a certain UK Helicopter Museum that would take one of them !

aseanaero
16th Apr 2008, 08:40
"I know a certain UK Helicopter Museum that would take one of them ! "

You could build a new wing to house "THE MONSTERS COLLECTION"

The Stallion and the Mi-24 are probably right up there with the most evil looking helis ever built

heli1
16th Apr 2008, 12:24
Asean...nah..the plan is to get a Mi-26 to put them in !