PDA

View Full Version : education and employment

birdaman
14th Apr 2008, 09:57
Hi all,

Is it possible to find work with an airline having GCSEs only and no a-levels? If so how much more difficult would it be?

Thanks

Kerosine
14th Apr 2008, 11:21
I do know that you would struggle to get on the Intergrated courses, as they ask for a minimum of a couple of A-level passes. Going modular I can't forsee a problem, although not having A-levels may count against you when getting your first job.

There was a very similar thread raised recently but can't seem to find it :confused:

edit: found it... http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321558&highlight=gcse (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321558&highlight=gcse)

Pilotpaul787
14th Apr 2008, 12:44
Intergrated does not require A-Levels. Oxford Aviation for example require only GCSE's and the ability to pass their apptitude assessment & then be offered a place. However, "sponsored" courses such as the ones Oxford Aviation, do require A-Levels.

birdaman
14th Apr 2008, 13:21
I have passed the Oxford aptitude assessment and I am ready to place my deposit. I am just concerned that having no a-levels will make it very hard to find employment. I am 26 and currently work as a company director/engineer for an air-conditioning company. Wont my work experience count for something?

nick14
14th Apr 2008, 18:43
yes your work and life experiences will be invaluable to you prospective employer, even more so as they are things to bring up in interview so don't be too worried about it, if you were my age (20) with no work/career experience and no alevels that might be different.

good luck and work hard, look forward to seing you around OAA!

Rugbyears
14th Apr 2008, 19:15
Birdaman - What does the Oxford aptitude assessment consist of, is it a general aptitude test or a more specific type test..?:ok:

nick14
15th Apr 2008, 00:21
2 days of assesment including: pilapt tests (hand eye coordination,maths,physics,multi tasking memory and psycometric)

group excercises, individual interview, sim check

Nick

birdaman
15th Apr 2008, 19:11
What nick said.

I am going to go for it. Its just a shame that BA is out of the question before I even start.

nick14
15th Apr 2008, 19:58
who said BA is out of the question?

you have work experience which is of higher value to them than a levels.

as long as you have good groundschool results and have above 3's in your progress tests during the goodyear phase you have a chance im sure.

birdaman
15th Apr 2008, 20:48
Thanks for the replies. I feel more positive now.