PDA

View Full Version : Neck-seal Comfort-ring

3 o'clock
14th Apr 2008, 02:57
Has anyone seen or used these before: a ‘neck-seal comfort-ring’ for a transit suit?

The comfort-ring is a circle of tubular plastic that joins with a simple plastic plug. It comes in small, medium and large and is placed around the wearers’ neck after the transit suit has been fitted. Once in place, the wearer pulls the neck-seal over the comfort-ring to relieve the discomfort caused by a tight seal.

I ask the question because I saw it being used by passengers in an offshore operation recently and wondered what people thought about the safety implications in the event of a ditching. I should also point out that the operator advised passengers to remove the device prior to impact.

Langball
14th Apr 2008, 08:15
I'd be very interested in getting more details on this device. Haven't heard of it, but seems like a good idea. Any link to a website?.

3 o'clock
14th Apr 2008, 09:16
No website that I know of, sorry.

John Eacott
14th Apr 2008, 10:05
Once in place, the wearer pulls the neck-seal over the comfort-ring to relieve the discomfort caused by a tight seal.

I ask the question because I saw it being used by passengers in an offshore operation recently and wondered what people thought about the safety implications in the event of a ditching. I should also point out that the operator advised passengers to remove the device prior to impact.

My first impression is that this device would negate the integrity of the goon suit: what operator would sanction such a device?

Back in the late 60's/early 70's there were a disproportionate number of EE Lightning pilots who were lost in the North Sea after successful ejections, due to exposure. The cockpit of the Lightning was so tight that many of the pilots had their goon suit boots removed and replaced with wrist seals (early Mk 1 suits, two piece with rubber boots welded onto the legs) so they could wear smaller flying boots or shoes. Needless to say the wrist seals weren't much use in the waterproofing department when worn over a pair of socks, so the cold North Sea wicked into the suit in no time flat, and the pilot lapsed into hypothermia. The issue was well known, well publicised, and declared illegal, but year after year pilots had the illegal mod carried out in the name of Comfort, until the Mk 3 one piece suit came along with socks instead of boots.

This "comfort ring" strikes me as a similar stupid modification which will End In Tears one day :=

2bart
14th Apr 2008, 11:17
I use tubular bandage E,F,G sizes I think. this stops neck rub and when you end up in the the water just pull it out. cheap and easy.