PDA

View Full Version : A-320- LGCIU 1+2 Failure-Nosewheel collapse

Mach trim
13th Apr 2008, 17:21
a-320
Heres a scenario you MEL dispatch with LGCIU 2 inop.

Takeoff out and lose LGCIU one.

LGCIU 1+2 FAILURE

Any thoughts on the process and dealing with for dealing with this one.
In the correct sequence and order regarding preparation such as the not arming of spiliers

You have to land with nice x-wind.

The tower has inspected your gear. all down

Then on landing the nosewheel collapses.

What about the evacuation, the rear door would not be good in such a case.

aidey_f
13th Apr 2008, 17:38
" What about the evacuation, the rear door would not be good in such a case. "

Why not? The slides are designed / sized to handle a 'worst case' evacuation from gear collapse ground attitudes, so it shouldn't be a problem

LanFranc
13th Apr 2008, 19:12
aidey,

One must be very careful about assumptions. My FCOM says, and I quote:

"Aft passenger doors should not be used for evacuation if the nose landing gear is not extended."

Its right at the end of the "LDG With Abnormal L/G" of the Abnormal and Emergency section.

Slasher
14th Apr 2008, 00:51
My A320 FCOM says all slides can be used. Maybe a A321
thing?

Dan Winterland
14th Apr 2008, 01:13
Ditto. Or maybe different slides?

Jonty
14th Apr 2008, 08:26
According to my Fcom 3, a dual LGCIU fault means Gravity extension of the gear, and switch off the GPWS. The lights on the landing gear control panel should remain as long as LGCIU 1 has power. The spoilers should be armed in the normal way and will deploy normally on the ground when wheel speed greater than 72kts. Partial extension on one main wheel touch down is not available.

As for Nose LG fault, it depends on if you know its going to happen. But all doors and slides are usable.

discountinvestigator
14th Apr 2008, 08:56
As a general point, after nose gear collapses on many modern types, then there can be significant damage to the various communication systems that you may wish to use for evacuation (alarm and PA).

If you are one of those airlines that insist on Captain has total authority for everything, then you may need to open the cockpit door after the accident to communicate with the cabin crew to start the evacuation. If you give authority to the cabin crew to evacuate after the "unusual attitude" stop, then they may chose to "go" without flight deck authority.

It used to be a conventional design requirement for all sides to be usable after a nose gear collapse. However, if no fire, I would prefer front/middle evacuation as the rear evacuation may lead to a significant number of broken bones.

Please also look at your commands to the cabin crew. You should use positive instructions where possible. Hence some airlines phraseology such as "hazard on the right/starboard" is a negative that has to be turned around to evacuate left/port.

If you are also considering evacuations, please remember that those of us who sit in the emergency exit rows should be briefed by the cabin crew as to what command will be given to start the evacuation. This is standard in say Australia but not usually done on any UK airline that I have flown on recently.

As a completely separate point, I was on a short haul airliner recently with minimum cabin crew of 3 plus 2 new girls on a flight experience trip. The crew for take off were positioned as 2 front (1 plus 1) and 3 back (2 plus 1). The flight experience girl at the front went onto the jumpseat for landing to leave one at the front and 3 at the rear. In the event of a nosegear collapse on this type, then the PA usually fails. That leaves the 1 senior cabin crew member having to enter the cockpit to communicate with the pilots and nobody to open the doors. It would have been more sensible to have repositioned the spare from the rear to the front during the approach to leave 2 at the front and 2 at the rear.

PMs to clarify if required

Discount.

Mach trim
20th Apr 2008, 09:15
Thanks for the posts discount and all.

I wonder how much clearance there would be from the ground if evacuating from the rear. I would not evacuate passengers from the rear unless we absolutely had to ( imminent fire ).

The MEL refers to Thrust bump in the LGCIU take off.

I have forgotten what a thrust bump is ?

What's the takeoff penaly for thrust reversers inop ?

Thanks

mcdhu
20th Apr 2008, 09:20
Bump thrust is a fixed extra increment to Toga thrust on the IAE engines selected by buttons on the rear of the TLs. It should be used sparingly as it rips the guts out of the engines.

Cheers
mcdhu