PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Recruiting.....?

StopStart
13th Apr 2008, 11:50
Does anyone have any info/links to lateral recruitment opportunities with the Canadian Air Force? They're purchasing the type on which I'm current and, as I grow increasingly weary of the UK, I was pondering my options....

Ta :ok:

Prop-Ed
13th Apr 2008, 12:00
You're not going anywhere!

Sorry but I think morale for the rest of your sqn (and sister sqn) would be irrecoverably damaged if you left. Also, I’m planning on coming back your way too!

Why would you want to move to such a beautiful country with such wonderful people and a military with realistic expectations of its capabilities anyway?....oh wait, bugger

BEagle
13th Apr 2008, 12:01
See:

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/noncanadians_en.aspx?bhcp=1

I will be working with some CF peeps in a couple of weeks' time, so will ask them aboot the opportunities available. Eh.

StopStart
13th Apr 2008, 12:20
Cheers BEags - btw, are you going to the reunion in a couple of weeks time?

Prop-Ed - I suspect it would do morale no end of good! :}

BEagle
13th Apr 2008, 12:42
Stoppers - is that the reunion on 11 May? If so, then unfortunately not.

Are there any C130 exchange tours/posting/'assignments' with the CF these days? I know there's one on the CC150, but I don't know about the C130.

brit bus driver
13th Apr 2008, 16:48
No more C130 exchange tours. A certain OBD may be able to offer some insight as to the possibilities if he still frequents these parts.

I'd start the process now if I were you; assuming you want to go in the next couple of years.

Good luck - you'll love it. Well, the country and the people.....the desire to spend one's life in one of those odd noise makers with the whirly things on the front still cionfounds me!

:}

Green Flash
13th Apr 2008, 23:39
Remember, Canada is duel langauge - no frogspeak, no job! (well, not exactly no job but you have got to learn French to get on in CanForce!)

Evalu8ter
14th Apr 2008, 08:01
Green Flash,
My friends in the CF are now saying that the mandatory dual language training has bitten the dust due to apathy within the ranks and changing attitudes in potential recruits.

The campaign in Afg has had a severe impact on recruitment and retention; to cope with this the CF have taken some novel approaches. Firstly, IIRC, most non-commissioned types do a tour in the infantry (ie a stint on Ops) before specialized training, secondly they have all but removed age discrimination on recruitment and thirdly they have a VERY proactive attitude to reserve service.

Most Sqns I've come across have a Reserve contingent, there is one RW Sqn that is nearly 100% reservist. Many pilots serve their full commissions then move immendiately to the Reserve on full salary plus pension. Most of them are on 6-12 month rolling contracts, and it seems to be very much a rotating door.

Of note, CF salaries do, I think, have a greater component of location allowance and, last time I asked, flying pay was only payable in flying appointments. These two factors can combine to make a Captain promoted to Major and put in a ground job worse off! This explains the large number of very able Captains in the CF, who keep flying waiting (a la PA) for a transfer to the reserve.

Taxi2parking
14th Apr 2008, 09:32
StopStart

If your leaving there is always a place for you here at NetJets Transportes Aeros. After all your ready wit and rugged good looks would make you a wow with all the supermodels down the back.:}

It is sort of lateral recruitment because it's really the same job but with more gold taps and polished wood. However, the visual approaches into dramatic snow capped mountain valleys usually don't involve people shooting at you.

....seriously it is just your thing.

redsnail
18th Apr 2008, 14:43
StopStart,

You can sit right here *pats seat next to mine* :E

As for T2Parking, he's off to fly some flash French thing. If and when it gets delivered. :ugh: Any way, he's getting soft, he wasn't in the bar when I turned up. :=