PDA

View Full Version : Help in finishing fast my last 10 hrs of PPL!

mattia_70
13th Apr 2008, 10:27
Hi,
I have been training for my PPL since last sept but due to several issues (mainly weather) I still have to fly ten hours to take my skill test.
Problem is, I have been offered a job abroad and I might not be able to finish my training before I leave the UK (in a month or so).
Obviously I do not want to loose all the training done so far (plus I already passed all written exam).

My question is: can anybody suggest a school/flying club which could compress these 10 hours in a couple of weeks, around Bristol?

I know I should personally check with each of them but as a start, I just wanted to be pointed to the right direction.

Thanks

BroomstickPilot
13th Apr 2008, 10:42
Hi mattia_70

There are a couple of what seem to be freelance instructors who advertise in the monthly flying mags. These advertise full time training on a one to one basis.

The best known of them is Derek Davidson, who has been in business for many years and operates from Bournemouth airport.

You need to contact him by telephone either between 07:30 and 08:30 or during the evening. His 'phone number is 07831 517428

I haven't flown with him, so I don't know what he is like to fly with. Perhaps there will be other contributors who may have this experience.

Good luck,

Broomstick.

bjornhall
13th Apr 2008, 11:49
Wouldn't it be possible to take your hours with you and finish the training abroad? Or is there some regulation against that?

mattia_70
13th Apr 2008, 16:23
Bjornhall,

I am moving to taly and I do not think the Italian CAA will accept the partial training for PPL done in another JAA state.

Plus I do not want to get involved with italian bureaucracy (I am italian, I know it) plus flying in Italy is even more expensive than in the UK.

foxmoth
13th Apr 2008, 19:30
I see no reason you cannot finish 10 hours in 3 days - how much actual training do you need to do? Most schools I would have thought would be able to fly you 3 hours a day if you can fly midweek. If you have problems, then PM me and I might be able to help, though with a slightly expensive solution!:ooh:

mike172
13th Apr 2008, 19:56
After around 2 years of training I passed my skill test the other week. After all that time training, the final part of the course came about so quickly. I took and passed my final two written exams and then had a practice skill test with my instructor on Wednesday. Thursday morning the phone rings at 9:00 and my skill test is sorted for 11:00 and passed by 14:00!

Everyone I spoke to said that the final part of the PPL course seems to happen very quickly so maybe the same will be true of your situation.

Ivor_Novello
13th Apr 2008, 20:14
mattia

flying in Italy is not more expensive than the UK, and believe it or not, bureaucracy is not that bad in the flying world.

PM me for more info, English or Italian lol

Ivor

mattia_70
13th Apr 2008, 20:14
Mike 172

I do not think so. Actually I am sure about it.
Due to low number of FI and the fact they are part time and fully booked, I only could book so few hours (5 or 6) in the next month.

That's why I am trying to find a different solution

mattia_70
13th Apr 2008, 20:30
Ivor,
where I fly in Uk I paid 65 £/year as membership and 111 £ /hour WITH instructor on PA28 (it's an aeroclub). At current rate exchange this is 81€ and 139 €

The same items in Italy (taken for example from the Milano Aero Club in Bresso) are 1600 €/year and 225 €/hour

In particular this thing of having such high annual fee in Italy I never understood it.

Duchess_Driver
13th Apr 2008, 21:59
....hate to raise this, but are you ready for test? You may only have 10 hours left to minimum but where are you in the sylabus? I'm guessing you are solo nav, but are you ready for QXC?

Wish you luck in your search.

mattia_70
13th Apr 2008, 22:17
Acording to my instructors I am on track with syllabus and I am waiting for good weather to go on my qualifying X country flight.
Thanks for best wishes

foxmoth
13th Apr 2008, 22:17
PMs for You re this

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2008, 07:17
A friend of mine finished her PPL with Derek Davidson, after some personality clashes with instructors plus other problems at her first flying school. She rated him very highly. :ok:

XXPLOD
14th Apr 2008, 17:02
Try Western Air at Thruxton, Hants. Easy drive from Bristol and a very flexible, friendly team there.