PDA

View Full Version : Requirements to become an Apron Controller?

JackRalston
12th Apr 2008, 23:21
Hello people!

I was wondering, what are the academic qualifications required to train as an Apron Controller. I know they communicate thoroughly with ATC and how they operate. I have had the pleasure of spending a few hours in Apron Control at Manchester Airport and it seemed a great job.

I am currently in my 2nd (last) year of college studying 5 subjects. I am studying ICT and have good knowledge of computers/computing and i am very keen to go into a job within the aviation industry.

So what are the requirements to become an Apron Controller? Who do i contact about traiinng? Are there any specific requirements apart from academic results?

thanks
Jack

HeathrowAirport
13th Apr 2008, 08:23
This might start you off:

http://natscareers.co.uk/

• Have five (5) GCSEs/Standard Grades (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English Language and Maths.

• Be eligible to work in the UK.
http://natscareers.co.uk/careers.asp?c=1&s=6
Read the medical bit too, very important: http://natscareers.co.uk/careers.asp?c=1&s=16

Regards,

Robbie

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Apr 2008, 09:20
NATS has nothing to do with Apron Control (at least, not at major airports). So far I am aware they are recruited locally and are nothing to do with ATC. Best to contact BAA for information I suggest.

Good luck.

JackRalston
13th Apr 2008, 14:29
I have already done research on NATS and talked to friends who work within the ATC side of the industry. My main aim was to become an ATCO in the future and apply to NATS.

Next academic year, i am going to University to study a combined honours so to boost my chances of getting into NATS for ATCO. But i was also wondering what the requirements could be for Apron Control. I thought that they weren't connected to NATS that much even though they do work together with the ATCOs.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Apr 2008, 16:26
Jack.... they "work with ATCOs" just like the airport police, fire services, airlines, etc., but at some airfields (Heathrow, for example) there is virtually no direct contact between the two.

If you are interested in ATC as a career I would strongly urge you to get in as early as possible. In my mind you would be wasting valuable time in trying for a job in apron control first as it will not help you too much.

I do not believe having a "combined honours" (whatever that is) will especially help you in ATC; others might have different views. The basic qualifications are laid down and that's what you need. I trained ATCOs on and off for 30 years and just as many graduates fail as do the basically qualified. Equally, basic qualified people pass just as easily as graduates..

Good luck with whatever you do.. If you want to ask me any questions by all means email me at [email protected]

call100
14th Apr 2008, 18:29
To answer your original question. You need no formal qualifications to apply for or become an Apron Controller. They do not work for ATC but usually for the Airport.
Hope that helps.:)

JackRalston
15th Apr 2008, 15:29
Thanks "call100". I have just e-mailed my HR contact at Manchester Airport to ask for more information.

I have good IT based skills and i feel i have good knowledge of the airport etc. I wouldn't mind a job based on apron control as it could help to be a stepping stone towards ATCO.

call100
15th Apr 2008, 20:58
Hi Jack. Liason with ATC is part of the job so usually gets you on good terms with ATCO's enabling frequent visits and any advice you may need. Not sure about the set up in Manchester but not much different to ours I would guess.
Good luck anyway...:ok: