PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War Helicopters fly again!

SASless
12th Apr 2008, 17:27
Four Vietnam veteran helicopters are to begin a cross country flight from California to Washington, DC beginning May 14th and will perform a fly-by at the Vietnam Memorial on May 25th.

Flying Thunder (the helicopters) and Rolling Thunder (a national motorcycle organization) are joining together for the event.

It should be quite a day....the banging of Huey Blades....and the exhaust rattle of 20,000 Harley's!

Additional information regarding the flights route, stops, scheduling, and other useful information can be found at their web site. They are a non-profit museum organization.

A long time North Sea Pilot for Bristow and writer of a book on his experiences in Vietnam, Randy Zahn will be flying one of the aircraft.

http://www.flyingthunder.org/index.html

Rolling Thunder is a volunteer group of motorcyclists that support MIA/POW and Veteran issues and do a yearly bike ride that begins at the Pentagon Parking lot and winds its way into Washington, DC and the Vietnam Memorial before returning to the Pentagon. To say it is a very impressive event is understatement gone WILD! The Pentagon parking lot is "chockablock" with bikes. It is said the leaders return to the Pentagon before the last riders depart.

Rolling Thunder's web site is found at:

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/index.html

I plan to be there.....be there or be square!

Brilliant Stuff
12th Apr 2008, 20:59
Randy Zahn did my CRm at CHC Scotia a few years back and then I was told he left to be Chief Pilot for Era in Alaska so is he now flying for Bristows in Aberdeen again?

Sounds like an excellent event.

SASless
12th Apr 2008, 22:40
No idea where Randy is now....but at one time he was at Bristow and had been there quite a while.

If he is CP ERA Alaska, he has found a pretty place to live and work. Night IFR slingloads out of Deadhorse...in February.....now that is the life!:ok:

The difference between the North Sea and Alaska is well.....uh....stark!

he1iaviator
13th Apr 2008, 02:55
On a recent visit to Saigon I noticed that the other team has also got at least one of its Hueys flying again. It was flogging around the circuit at Tan Son Nhat while I was there.

British-bulldog
13th Apr 2008, 03:08
Zahn no longer works for Era AK. He is now at Vulcan aviation in Seattle Washington.
:E