PDA

View Full Version : Flying Pay

InTgreen
12th Apr 2008, 11:41
Sorry guys, just a quick one - what is the breakdown of years served since the initial award of flying pay for mid rate and higher rate???

Thanks in advance..

Tgreen.

Uncle Ginsters
12th Apr 2008, 11:47
From the award of Basic rate, it's 4yrs to each successive band up to Higher rate.

TAC Queen
12th Apr 2008, 11:53
Not for NCA
Its middle rate after 9 years (3 years for ex ground trades that have completed 9 years in a previous trade)
Then top rate after 18 years (ex ground trades must have completed at least 9 years in the flying role and be at or past the 18 year point).
Seems really fair to me

The rates of fling pay can be found if you Google it.

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Apr 2008, 11:56
If you follow this link, found as suggested using google it will tell you all about Fling pay

http://www.purdue.edu/hr/LeadingEdition/LEdi_404_Spring_Fling.htm

But quite what this has to with us in the military I fail to see..........:E

InTgreen
12th Apr 2008, 19:18
Cheers all - tells me when to start checking the wonderful world of JPA.....:ugh:

Spam_UK
13th Apr 2008, 00:30
So why is it that Officers Flying pay is more than NCA's flying pay?

Gnd
13th Apr 2008, 08:48
Cause they have sticks.........................:p

Truckkie
13th Apr 2008, 08:57
More importantly - why is Pilot's enhanced rate (around £43 per day!) more than anyone elses?

cazatou
13th Apr 2008, 09:20
More importantly - why is Pilot's enhanced rate (around £43 per day!) more than anyone elses?

Would that be because without the pilot nobody else gets to go flying?

Autorev
13th Apr 2008, 09:38
The post, or indeed pic you are in should not impact your progression to next level of fg pay.

And to those who, once again, are moaning about the existence of fg pay, or ideed aparent inequalities between NCA, pilots and Nav:
How many times do you need telling? Pilots are not required to justify their fg pay - they are only required to spend it.

As has been stated many many many many times on these boards, if you take away (or reduce) my flying pay, I leave. Simple. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

The fact that MOD are trying, and failing, to convince me to stay by offering me 100 thousand of your earth pounds, suggests that they want me to stay. QED fg pay (in some form or other) is here to stay...

cazatou
13th Apr 2008, 14:23
1.4G

Do I take it, therefore, that YOU will do all the Air Tests ?

I remember the time I impounded an aircraft when, after it had been snagged 3 air tests running, the Engineers still hadn't rectified the aileron control jam that appeared only when airborne. Then they put jacks under the wings and lifted it off the ground and lo and behold they found it.

buoy15
13th Apr 2008, 18:05
Sorry to spoil the dream
I do believe that Flying Pay is no more
It has been subsumed in to gross pay and is taxable and pensionable when you are productive
At long last!:ok:

PS - this is a good thread for youngsters aspiring to a Service career and Service Writing - nice word - 'subsumed' - make sure your not - Ha!

Love Many - Trust a Few - Always paddle your own canoe:)

PMA's Toy
13th Apr 2008, 19:03
What, really? For all of us, not just PAS?

PlasticCabDriver
13th Apr 2008, 22:44
Never heard of NFF in the F700?

What, Not F*cking Fixed?

Talk Reaction
14th Apr 2008, 20:23
Autorev,
Sorry to tell you but there are a significant number of posts out there that the fine individuals who brought in JPA didn't assign a flying post marker against and so taking up one of these posts immediately drops you onto RB flying pay (and hence a mark time on your happy march to higher rates). Also, some training posts are short of this crucial marker (all ab initio fg trg...) meaning a return to trg (creamies) will screw up fg pay. Some PSFs are better than others at resolving the issue. The be all and end all is keep an eye on your own pay - haven't you heard, it's our job now!!!! :mad:

moosemaster
15th Apr 2008, 07:26
IIRC flying pay was always taxable, but never pensionable unless PAS.

Just for the record too, I never had a problem with the bus driver getting more flying pay, seeing as the training was longer and retention more difficult. My only gripe was 75% rates whilst staying in the same places, which happily is no longer the case.

Plus, as everyone now gets a 5* tent and capped actuals making the whole system much more user friendly and administratively simple :rolleyes:

BEagle
15th Apr 2008, 08:15
Hola, Moosemaster!

An ex-C130 mate told me a story of flying the Lyneham Stn Cdr on a local sortie. The ALM handed out the butty boxes - the Stn Cdr found one slice of bread missing from his sarnies, 3/4 of a pork pie, 3/4 of an anpple and 3/4 of a Mars bar. "WTF is this??!!" he demanded. "Sorry Sir", replied the ALM, "I must have given you an NCO's butty box...."

As S/L Spec Aircrew, my take home pay was considerably greater than that of a ground branch S/L of the same seniority. But my pension certainly isn't!

I did suggest to the AFPRB mob that it was Flying PAY, not Flying Allowance, and should form part of the pension. Which would perhaps retain a few more folk.

Eventually they dreamed up PA spine..... Too little, too late.

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Apr 2008, 09:10
Beag's,

If it's any consolation a FS NCA on PA now gets way more pension and lump sum than a ground branch S/L, and can afford to retire and never work again at age 55..........so goodness knows how much pilots on PA now get.....oooodles of dosh no doubt........maybe you jumped ship to early chap............... :E

Truckkie
15th Apr 2008, 09:50
so goodness knows how much pilots on PA now get

Around a £93000 tax free gratuity and about £31000 pa pension at age 55 if the current calculator is anything to go on:ok:

FFP
15th Apr 2008, 14:31
And the chance to snuff it shortly after leaving at 55.

Let's face it, the stats aren't good as far as longevity is concerned for those that do 30 odd years and then leave.

I'll take mine at 38 with the chance that I'll use my pension for longer :ok:

TurbineTooHot
15th Apr 2008, 16:40
If you have been caught out by the JPA fu@k up and have been placed onto the reserve band when clearly in a flying post, then you need to first contact your desk officer as he is the JPA "Career Manager," and has the little button that acknowledges that fact on your post.

Then you should fire a set of service requests into JPA, one asking them to check that this has been done, one to get them to convert it all to SP pay, and one to confirm the date of your next increment.

Have done all of the above and am now back on track, but guys who went to NFTC in the JPA days should check and anyone who got a reposting notice mid OCU may have also been affected.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need any guidance.

Turbine:ok:

Lima Juliet
15th Apr 2008, 19:01
I do believe that Flying Pay is no more

I too have heard a rumour that there is an aspiration for all aircrew (up to Wg Cdr) to go onto a PA Spine. I further understand that there is a paper circulating Swiss Des's Corridors of Power at this very moment for such a scheme to be introduced in 2009 - here's hoping? :}

The idea being that it will fill the current Sqn Ldr/Wg Cdr pension gap with that of a PAS Flt Lt. At the moment a Sqn Ldr gets circa £24k at age 55 and the PAS Flt Lt around £34k - who the hell would want promotion unless they're some sort of career mad half-wit with 1*+ aspirations? NCA at FS or above on AFPS05 get more than the Sqn Ldr as well (you could argue in some cases that this is right and proper :E).

Has anyone else got any info on this scheme or heard any rumours?

LJ

Truckkie
15th Apr 2008, 19:14
So where's the extra cash going to come from for every aircrew member up to the rank of Wg Cdr to go onto PAS terms?

Lima Juliet
15th Apr 2008, 19:31
Trukkie

I have no idea mate but it is a rumour that I have heard from 2 seperate sources down at HW - I guess the current outflow of experienced SO2s and SO1s is unsustainable vice the cost of such a scheme? Also, I would guess that FRI would be binned to offset the cost.

As I said though, just a rumour, I haven't seen anything on paper.

LJ

Truckkie
16th Apr 2008, 06:58
Would be nice:ok: About time aircrew were actually appreciated for being a major part of the war-fighting capability of the RAF.

Also would bring us into line with equivalent civvie pay and pension benefits - although I still don't think this will stop the outflow. Pay has never really been one of the retention problems!

Lima Juliet
16th Apr 2008, 09:38
Truckkie

I agree that pay isn't the answer but I also think that its part of the answer. Get the MQs, rates, harmony, equipment, leadership and direction of the RAF sorted and we'd be there; anyone fancy Sir Alan Sugar for CAS? "Obsequious, Spineless, Career Officer, you're fired!":ok:

Whatever happened to leaders of men (and women)?.. Oh, I forgot they were scrapped with the F4, Buccaneer and Vulcan...:mad:

LJ

Truckkie
16th Apr 2008, 15:16
We could always post the non-aircrew, career SO2/SO1s into some of the command appointments and keep aircrew in seats on aircraft:ok:

moosemaster
18th Jun 2008, 07:08
It's been a while, so I'll bite :}

We did trial a non-aircrew Sqn Exec on one of my previous sqns.

It was an utter disaster!!!!

The guy in question was in fact an ATCO, so you'd think he'd have some understanding of the world in general, and aviation in particular.

Not so! Instead he tried to implement a scheme to record aircrew working hours to bring us in line with the ground crew.
We had to log each time we came into the squadron. If we spent less than 2 hours on squadron doing pre-flight etc, it didn't count as a full days work.

We did ask "So if I do a 23 hr crew duty day, can I log 3 days work time?"
AND "What do I log when I'm on 6hr stand-by?"

The scheme was binned shortly afterwards...:ugh: