PDA

View Full Version : Problems logging into PPRuNe

Danny
11th Apr 2008, 20:35
Earlier today, many of you using computers located on MoD property found that it was impossible to log into your PPRuNe profiles because your IP address was banned.

The reason for the blocking of the MoD IP address was because someone using a computer located on an MoD site was systematically trying to log into many users accounts. The person attempting to log into accounts was probably trying several basic password options in the hope that they'd eventually be able to log into someone else's account and use that identity to cause trouble or something more sinister.

The IP address was blocked temporarily whilst attempts were made to trace the culprit. For security reasons, we cannot divulge how we found out about the hacking attempt but any future attempts to hack into users accounts will be traced much more quickly and efficiently.

So, apologies to those of you who were temporarily locked out of PPRuNe. The hacking attempts appear to have abated, at least for the time being. Hopefully, we will not have to resort to such drastic measures again.

Please make sure that you have a password that is not easily hacked and is not the same as your Username. Ideally, your password should include both alpha and numeric digits and be at least 8 characters long. If you think someone has attempted to hack into your account, please let us know using the 'contact us' link on any PPRuNe page. If you have an invalid or obsolete email address in your profile, you will not know whether someone has attempted to hack your account.

kokpit
11th Apr 2008, 21:31
Ah, so I wasn't going mad.

Posted about this last night and just got a load of flack in return.

extpwron
11th Apr 2008, 22:40
You would have thought that CAS had his own user name and password.

Hueymeister
12th Apr 2008, 05:38
It wasn't just those of us on MOD machines...I had snags from the US too.:*:cool:

L J R
12th Apr 2008, 06:52
So my identity is now in the open.

Well, maybe it is time to log on as one of my sleepers....

...err sorry, this is an MoD (Read UK) problem...phew, I thought for a minute that my South African location was compromised.

Wrathmonk
12th Apr 2008, 12:28
Let the conspiracy theory begin ....

I reckon it was mates of M**e J****y ....

.... or THEM from "sssh, you know where" having got bored trying to put the frightners on nigegilb ....

And to think we all laughed when BEags spoke of Black Omegas.....

Pass me my foil hat please!:p

airsound
12th Apr 2008, 20:18
Danny, I’ve been at the Hercules Inquest in Trowbridge over a few days, and I have seen at first hand the clumsy, but none the less scary, attempts at intimidation by the MoD. NigeGilb’s experience is probably the most extreme example so far. But, if I understand your post correctly, you are suggesting that someone in that sad ministry now considers that PPRuNers present such a threat to the satisfactory continuation of their modus operandi that they are prepared to indulge in illegal hacking.

If that is the case, then I think you, and PPRuNers as a whole, should be very proud. PPRuNe is obviously getting through to someone.

airsound

buoy15
12th Apr 2008, 20:37
1984 at last! That animal farm is just down the road from me:yuk:

Conan The Barber
12th Apr 2008, 20:50
Oh, the drama, the subterfuge. At both ends, that is.

Been hacked
12th Apr 2008, 21:41
My hackers IP area was in yorkshire, i live in the south of the uk. Just for ppls information if its any help.

Im not any MOD person, just an ordinary person who is interested in the airline business.