PDA

View Full Version : Regulatory Bodies

jb2_86_uk
11th Apr 2008, 14:53
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the past, however I conducted a search, and with the search critera used, as you might imagine It was like finding the worlds smallest needle in the worlds biggest haystack.

My question is regarding bodies such as the JAA and FAA:

For exmaple, JAA trained pilots flying a BA 747 Heathrow - Los Angeles. Are there no problems encountered with JAA pilots flying through/into FAA airspace? Slight differences in the rules and regulations? obviously the same problem for an AA trip'7 pilot flying JFK - Heathrow.

Or are pilots flying these routes trained to adhere to any of rules imposed by their non-native regulatory body?

Also, as I understand it, JAA covers Europe, and FAA covers the US. Who covers the rest of the world? I did a Wikipedia search and found lots of individual bodies (equal to the CAA in the UK??) but couldnt find anything regarding a similar situation to the JAA.

Thanks in advance for any informative replies :ok:

JB

TheOddOne
11th Apr 2008, 15:45
JB,

You need to start your studies with the Interntional Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), which was set up by the Chicago Convention of 1944. Basically, this sets out the safety rules for worldwide civil aviation and the principle that each State (another word for Nation) will allow various rights and privileges (called 'freedoms' in ICAO-speak) to every other State, provided that State is a member of ICAO and their aircraft and pilots are ICAO-compliant. In theory, ICAO transcends the National Aviation Authorities (NAAs) set up by each State, or groupings of NAAs such as JAA or the new European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). Where States choose to vary from ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS) then they must publish 'differences' so that other States understand what is different about aviation in a particular State.

Hopefully the above will give you some more material to research. For the UK, look at CAA-published document, the Air Navigation Order (ANO) and a National Air Traffic Services (NATS) document, the UK Aeronautical Information Publication (UK-AIP), all available on-line at no cost to the end-user (unlike ICAO and JAA documents, which cost a lot to obtain).

Cheers,

TheOddOne

jb2_86_uk
11th Apr 2008, 18:38
Thanks alot TheOddOne, lots of good info for me there to work through :ok:

JB