PDA

View Full Version : PT for Fat Russian Generals

ORAC
11th Apr 2008, 07:40
Torygraph: Fat Russian generals told to shape up (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/11/wrussia111.xml)

The Russian army has launched a fitness regime to help its fat generals lose weight and squeeze into a new designer uniform. A third of the army's elite officers are overweight and 25 per cent failed a fitness test, defence ministry spokesman Vyacheslav Sedov said.

The army will now launch a fitness drive as it prepares to move over to a stylish uniform designed by Valentin Yudashkin. The uniforms - previewed earlier this year - move away from the functional styles of the former Red Army for a more svelte, fitted look. "The new military uniform should match what is inside it," said Mr Sedov.

The army will build gyms, swimming pools and sports halls to get the podgy and under exercised officers back in form, he added. A campaign will also be launched "to cultivate the culture of sport in the armed forces", said Mr Sedov.

The fitness tests were organised by Lt-Gen Vladimir Shamanov, who was decorated as a Hero of the Russian Federation for his service in Chechnya. Lt-Gen Shamanov said that the unfit officers need more physical exercises, particularly aerobic exercises. Officers are to be tested on their running, swimming and shooting skills.

polyglory
11th Apr 2008, 07:45
No danger of our bloated leaders doing the same:D

Roland Pulfrew
11th Apr 2008, 09:30
The army will build gyms, swimming pools and sports halls

At least the Russian military appears to recognise the need to invest in decent sporting facilities. How many of our stations now have a pool? Of a decent length to train in? And that isn't filled with the local school, creche or wives club at the most popular "lengths" time? I can think of Mount Pleasant and .......?

ORAC
11th Apr 2008, 09:49
Hmm, nice little generals club with a multi-gym, pool and shooting range. I dare say a few hand picked female PT staff, no doubt a dining room with a chef. Probably a nice little cellar with wine, vodka and imported beers.

Somehow I doubt the hoi-polloi will have access...... :hmm:

spheroid
11th Apr 2008, 13:17
At least the Russian military appears to recognise the need to invest in decent sporting facilities. How many of our stations now have a pool? Of a decent length to train in? And that isn't filled with the local school, crece or wives club at the most popular "lengths" time? I can think of Mount Pleasant and .......?Culdrose:confused:

Epimetheus
11th Apr 2008, 14:46
RAF pools: Cranwell, Cosford, Halton, Waddington, Honington, Kinloss, Aldergrove, Brize Norton, Odiham, and Henlow and St Athan too if you still count them as RAF.

Now if only we could get into partnership with the Olympic Development Authority, do some joint funding with them, offer to host some teams in 2012 that will need acclimatisation training, at some well chosen bases ..... maybe we could get then some better sports facilities? :cool:

Beatriz Fontana
12th Apr 2008, 16:21
Blimey, I can think of a few 1*s and above who would benefit... :E

Maybe that's how we stop the RAF becoming so top heavy ('cuse the pun)... culling them at a PT camp!