PDA

View Full Version : Career choices,help appreciated

CaptainGondwe
10th Apr 2008, 17:15
Good evening

My name is Ian Gondwe, I am an 18 year old and I have been hanging around these forums for a while. I must say it is a very good resource and that it has helped me open my eyes and realize what being a commercial pilot in todays world entails. Anyway, I am soon finishing my secondary education. I am currently completing the IB course at Bishop Mackenzie in Malawi and I am investigating the best routes to achieving my goal of working for a major international carrier. For further reference I hold both American and Malawian(commonwealth) passports and I have around 35 hours of flight time; unfortunately the only flight instructor in the country(Malawi) passed away a year ago so I could not complete my ppl course. Now I really only have two questions for you all. Firstly, where do you believe would be the best place to conduct your flight training if money were not a factor, Europe or the United States? I have a uncle who is a Training Captain for a major African airline and he said, generally in the industry pilots trained in Europe are regarded as "better" as the JAA course is more demanding as it is very thorough, and it focuses both on the practical and theoretical aspects of flying while the American course generally focuses mostly on the practical aspects. Secondly, would you advise that before I begin any flight training I obtain a university degree first? I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Ian