PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick & Belfast

Mr.Noisy
10th Apr 2008, 15:29
Greetings everyone,

Have been hanging around here for some time enjoying the professionalism that many display. I find this site to be a great resource.

Anyhoo in short, I'm one of the new guys (FNG's) here with a Canadian based carrier. Have my line check this weekend and will be my first time in to both locations. Will be my third crossing tomorrow night on my way for Gatwick. Depart the next day with a Belfast turn before crossing back over. Was searching for some briefings some might have for these airports ?

:suspect:

Mr.Noisy
11th Apr 2008, 20:33
Alrighty then.. :E

tubby linton
11th Apr 2008, 21:01
Gatwick is a busy single runway airport.Arrivals are straight forward with only usually one altitude restriction in the descent(13000ft at GWC) though you might get another higher restriction if arriving from the north or west.You are speed controlled by the approach controller and are expected to do a cda.Winds out of the southwest cause a little bit of turbulence on short final but they are not as bad since some buildings were removed.Expect late landing clearances if they are busy.The runway has some special lighting to give you some idea about distance to the runway turnoffs.Once you have landed vacate onto the parallel taxiway, do not stop on the runway.Taxi-ing is easy,follow the greens(lights).Turn your tcas to transponder only as you vacate the runway and select code 1000 before turning it off.
Departure-call the clearance delivery not sooner than 30 mins before your eobt.When ready for start turn your transponder on.Gatwick can get busy at certain times.I have spent almost 40 minutes at the hold more than once.
Sids usually turn into a radar heading shortly after being handed off to London centre. If you end up departing off 08R and are going west the turn is quite tight and speed needs to be no more than about 210kt unless you want to end up over South London.The same also applies if departing 26L and going north over London.Speed control is mandatory unless you need to go faster for aircraft performance.
Enjoy your visit.

Torque2
11th Apr 2008, 21:37
Departing BFS on Sunday?

If you have the leg into BFS you will be kept at 4000 feet until passing EGAC (Belfast City) then stepped down to 3000 and finally 2800 or 2400 when establishing on finals for rwy 25 ILS, descent can come quite late so don't be caught out high and fast!!

Departing for Trans Atlantic you need to call the tower for your oceanic clearance well before start time. Rwy 25 is pretty much unrestricted performance and you will generally get a turn on track to your first waypoint westwards, no SID to bother about.

Have a good trip. :ok:

Maude Charlee
12th Apr 2008, 11:55
Forget about the transponder stuff for Gatwick - despite having put this in NOTAMS it would appear that LGW don't actually have their equipment working properly yet to make use of this latest wonderful idea. :rolleyes:

eastern wiseguy
12th Apr 2008, 12:01
Departing for Trans Atlantic you need to call the tower for your oceanic clearance well before start time. Rwy 25 is pretty much unrestricted performance and you will generally get a turn on track to your first waypoint westwards, no SID to bother about.

You are required to get you oceanic clearance yourself. If you are unable call 118.3 about 40 minutes before with estimated time of blocks oceanic entry point requested and maximum flight level and mach number. Also your time enroute to ocean entry point and requested track(if appropriate). Of course this depends on you flying a jet...not something with props:ok:

Mister Geezer
12th Apr 2008, 13:43
Forget about the transponder stuff for Gatwick - despite having put this in NOTAMS it would appear that LGW don't actually have their equipment working properly yet to make use of this latest wonderful idea.

Would you ignore a NOTAM on a line check though MC?? ;)

Maude Charlee
13th Apr 2008, 10:28
Funnily enough bud, it seems to have now been removed from NOTAMS. :8

How's the application process going?

tubby linton
16th Apr 2008, 22:19
It was back in yesterday.I asked a controller at Gatwick and the hardware is under evaluation so they are not really using it.However if we all ignore the notam they will think it doesn't work!