PDA

View Full Version : GPS Systems

Lost in Cloud
10th Apr 2008, 13:58
Hi All

The Mrs wants a GPS system for her car. I thought I could build a case to buy a dual one that covers both, road and air maps.

Any recommendations? Prices paid etc?

Thanks

drambuster
10th Apr 2008, 22:19
Don't bother with a 'jack of all trades'. Buy the wife a TomTom One and get yourself the best Garmin you can afford (196 good, 296 great, 496 brilliant but extra cost not justified over 296). Actually there's a new version of the 496 (the 495 at £799 + VAT) which just does away with the Automotive software (which the Tom Tom does much better anyway!)

Suggest Amazon for the TomTom and Harry Mendelssohn for the aviation Garmin ( www.gps.co.uk ) as they always provide terrific customer service and know what they're talking about !

This way you can lie in bed in the evenings planning your next trip to France on the 296 while your wife can check out how many Tescos there are within a 20 mile radius - marital bliss !
:)

cantw82fly
11th Apr 2008, 15:57
The Flyangel does both roads and air. It also comes with Flymap win for flight planning. Great piece of kit.

TheGorrilla
2nd Jun 2008, 21:24
Drambuster, trust you. The smallest sniff of a mention of your favourite 3 letters in the english alphabet and you're on here!

If I ever decide to buy a GPS I'll come and ask you for advice!