PDA

View Full Version : Part 61, how long are ATPL subjects valid?

Andrew JTP
9th Apr 2008, 19:29
A question for someone who understands part 61. Once I have passed my ATPL subjects how long do I have to do fulfill the requirements and test for my ATPL before the theory subjects lapse?

I have read the law and it seems to be able to be understood in 2 ways. Initially I thought it said the subjects would be valid for 5 years from the date of expiry of my last Instrument Revalidation (in other words if I keep my instrument rating current my subjects will not 'expire'). Someone has now explained it to mean that they are valid for 5 years from the date of expiry of the last instrument revalidation I did before/since getting the subjects.

I hope it's the former, but suspect it's the latter as that is more restricive.

lowbypass
9th Apr 2008, 21:07
FAA written ATP is valid for 2 years within which you have to do a check ride (I hope it still holds, I did mine in 2003).

MozYank
10th Apr 2008, 01:02
Unless you are working for a 121 operator; it is then good for the duration of your 121 employment.

Malagant
10th Apr 2008, 01:53
Yes, the FAA is still 24 months..and not such a load of crap like the SA ATPL..but their oral and flight test is a bastard..the tolarances on the sim checkride was..well a bastard..haven`t had any checkride in SA so hard..!:=

Andrew JTP
11th Jul 2008, 18:09
I can now answer my own question. I have been in touch with the SA CAA and the answer from them is as follows:

The validity of your ATPL subjects is extended by 5 years, every time you re-validate your instrument rating. However, should you fail to be current for more than 5 years, you will loose the credits.

:ok:

cavortingcheetah
11th Jul 2008, 18:30
:hmm:

As a point in passing I think that the following is more or less true, given the odd dot or cross to bear.
If you allow your SA professional licence to lapse by five years or more then that licence will fall away, virtually as though it had never been.
Your only way out of that pickle is to obtain an exemption from the Commissioner of Civil Aviation by proving that you have been flying almost continuously over that period on an equivalent foreign licence.
If you cannot comply with that, or are deemd not to have complied with that requirement, you will have to write all the subjects again and take an initial flight test for the licence required.
Even if you are granted such an exemption you will be required, as a minimum, to write whatever Air Law and Procedures paper/s may be in fashion then and also, quite rightly, pass a flight test.
This is much the same procedure as happens in the UK.
However, and there are some who know much better than I about this point; I understand that from almost anytime now, if not already, a candidate for an ATPL in South Africa, is or will soon be, required to take his ATPL initial flight test on a turbine or jet aircraft of more than 5,700kgs in a two crew configuration. That at any rate is what I was told earlier this year by those behind the ground floor computer battery at Waterfall Park.
If this were correct I suppose that it could make life quite difficult and certainly very expensive for someone who wished to self fund to an ATPL level. One would, after all, have to be a very good First Officer for an airline company to think that he warranted the shelling out of the necessary funds to provide an aircraft and a Captain to enable him to upgrade his licence?
Clarification on this point could be of interest to some or am I just regurgitating what is common knowledge, in which case, apologies all round?:{

Red Ant
15th Jul 2008, 14:14
I have a current SA Heli ALTP, but was wondering how it was going to work for my next renewal, as I have also heard that it would have to be on a 2 crew certified turbine helo. That changes form previously where I could go hire a R44. Does anyone have any clarity on what the requirement for the testing a/c need be. :confused:

cavortingcheetah
15th Jul 2008, 15:40
:hmm:

As far as I know, and that's unofficial because, to be frank, I'm not sure if the CAA really know yet, the two crew business only applies to initial licences. A renewal falls outside this requirement.
I had let my SAA ATPL lapse for more than five years, that's an identity clue by the way, the CAA very, very decently gave me an exemption. Someone in their Flight Ops suggested that I get a move on and did the ATP flight test fairly pronto, earlier this year, before the new regulations or whatever came into force.
There are those around who know better than I.
Toodle Pip.:)