PDA

View Full Version : B787 Dreamliner delayed again?

jamier
9th Apr 2008, 13:10
Just saw this on the BBC website

Boeing has announced another major delay to delivery of its new 787 Dreamliner aircraft.
The plane is now about 15 months behind its original schedule. The first flight will be in the fourth quarter of 2008.
The target for delivery of the first plane to Japan's All Nippon Airways is now the third quarter of 2009. The previous target was early 2009.
Boeing has blamed slow progress on assembly and continuing problems with suppliers for the delays.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7338807.stm

and on the Boeing website

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q2/080409b_nr.html

Check Airman
9th Apr 2008, 13:16
Shocking news! Can't say how little this surprises me. I doubt customers actually expect a plane to make it's projected delivery date.

Thx for the update though. I'll be interested to see how the new front office looks:)

jetopa
9th Apr 2008, 13:44
If I order a car, I expect it to be delivered on time. If not, I have rights as a customer and can make life pretty miserable for the dealer / manufacturer. It is my impression that when buying an airplane you have to put up with much more that any car-buyer would accept.

Every time when a new competition about the development of new airplanes starts, there is a frenzy and media hype about who's going to be first, will the Airbus fly farther and at lower cost or will it be the Boeing? Wouldn't it make more sense to the management of an airline to have reliable timelines, performance data and list prices, so they can calculate better? Why does airline 'X' press Boeing to beat Airbus' offer - at a lower price. Only to 'suddenly' find out that the deadlines can't be met.:ugh:

I know, we don't live in a perfect world. But I have to honest and precise when my customers asks me something. He might not be happy with my reply, but at least its close to what he may expect.

When the manufacturing process of the A380 obviously became a mess, there were very few comments from Seattle. And now, as Boeing is in a similar situation, Airbus keeps quiet.

Let's see how the growing pains of the A350 will develop...:)

152wiseguy
9th Apr 2008, 14:17
You usually order a car when you see Jeremy Clackson driving it on tv or maybe when you see it in the showroom. Airlines often order aircraft when they are still on the drawing board. I guess you'd have less chance of getting your car on time if you ordered it when it was still being designed.

11Fan
9th Apr 2008, 14:20
"When the manufacturing process of the A380 obviously became a mess, there were very few comments from Seattle. And now, as Boeing is in a similar situation, Airbus keeps quiet."

Rocks and glass houses come to mind.

fermented herring
9th Apr 2008, 14:22
Until now we can see that Boeing has not been able to live up to any of its major milestones set up in the sporty plan for the project.

Still they keep, as far as i can see, about the same lead time from first flight to first delivery. I believe they have the shortest planned flight test campaign ever for such a new design. Would like to know more about how consolidated that is.

Paul Wilson
9th Apr 2008, 14:34
I remember reading a sales book a good few years ago, the author was recounting a tale of getting quotes on having a ship built in Scotland and Japan, the Scots were busy negotiating the penalty clauses for late delivery, the Japanese said, "fill in any figure you like, the delivery will be on time", the Japanese got the business.

fjouve
9th Apr 2008, 14:46
They plan first flight in Fourth quarter 2008 and first delivery in Third quarter 2009. That still sounds like a very agressive plan for certification. Knowing all the unknown items in this aircraft of a new type I still have some doubts on wether their planning is realistic.

After increasing their controls on airlines, FAA may turn their attention to the airframers...

modrocker
9th Apr 2008, 14:49
don't get it
If I order a car, I expect it to be delivered on time. If not, I have rights as a customer and can make life pretty miserable for the dealer / manufacturer. It is my impression that when buying an airplane you have to put up with much more that any car-buyer would accept.

Err! It's not a car.

Dysag
9th Apr 2008, 14:56
The Japanese have many qualities: attention to detail being a major one. But as Boeing has found out, they are not good at admitting their faults.

So don't be surprised that the Jap parts of the DreamOnLiner were late. Boeing has to take overall responsibility, though.

The other problem is the 787 is not that special anyway. It's too small for trunk routes and has insufficient stretch potential.

Torquelink
9th Apr 2008, 15:02
. . . but still sold over 800 units

;)

boeing boeing.. gone
9th Apr 2008, 15:08
Bet the XWB flies first!!!!!!!!!!:eek: anybody??

BEagle
9th Apr 2008, 15:35
7-late-7

Now even later.......

Oh dear, what a pity.

BigShip
9th Apr 2008, 16:00
I am missing this great graphic I saw recently about the delays of Boeing compared to the ones of Airbus.

I wonder who looks better by now...

I like the comment: It is the fault of the Japanese... ( definetely not a pilot, who made the remark ) ;-)

Captain Caveman
9th Apr 2008, 16:07
I am sure people will look back in 10 years time and laugh at the delay, if its remembered. It will be an exceptional piece of kit and worth the 15 months delay I am sure. It will be forgotton about in years to come just like the A380 delay will be.

dixi188
9th Apr 2008, 16:45
I remember seeing a documentary series on the development and certification of the 777.
It flew on time!
Team was led by Phil Condit.
Since his resignation have all the rest of the capable people gone also?

NephewBob
9th Apr 2008, 18:01
Air India (as a launch customer) will be crying crocodile tears. I read that Boeing will be paying them $150M/month penalty.

Should now be able to find enough drivers by delivery date. (Whew!)

mutt
9th Apr 2008, 19:13
I doubt customers actually expect a plane to make it's projected delivery date.Yes we do!

We will be a 787 operator, with present fleet replacement and crewing plans, we expect the aircraft at a certain time, the complete gearing up for the introduction of the aircraft gets screwed if its late!

Maybe we should have ordered A350's :):):)

We also expect the 747-8 to be delivered on time.....

Mutt

tommar1
10th Apr 2008, 02:02
Phil Condit was CEO of BA at that time. Alan Mulally headed up 777 program .He is now CEO of Ford.