PDA

View Full Version : C208 Caravan in part 135 ops

olirindis
9th Apr 2008, 07:39
Greetings all,

Can anyone offer info regarding the what the Cats/Cars allow/require concerning using a C208 Caravan in a part 135 operation and using this aircraft at night and or under IMC whilst carrying pax/cargo on schedule/non-scheduled ops. Is it allowed? and what are the restrictions?

Many thanks

Avi8tor
9th Apr 2008, 14:19
As far as I know all single engine turbines operate as Perf D aircraft. Used to be operated under LS208, but this is cancelled.

olirindis
9th Apr 2008, 14:28
Thanks Bud,

Any other inputs and or references welcomed..:)

VortexGen300
9th Apr 2008, 18:09
This is very Local - in some countries due to an operator's history and maintenance one is allowed SE Turbine Night or IFR ops even Single Pilot on single engine Turbine IFR or Night - but it has to be described in the OPS manual and approved by the Authorities. They usually require maintenance history of the particular aircraft model and sometimes serial no.

But these engines are so reliable if properly maintained it is usually not a problem?

Hope it helps.

Whenwe
10th Apr 2008, 05:25
You will find you answers in CAR 135.08.17.

fastfly
10th Apr 2008, 07:51
Hi Guys

Have a look at AIC 18.8 :ok:

Cheers.

grizzled
11th Apr 2008, 08:14
VortexGen300 makes the important points:

1 The answers to your questions about single engine IFR ops, or night VFR, vary significantly between jurisdictions -- both in gereral terms and with regard to the Caravan.

2 The reliability of the engine (i.e. the famous PT-6) is a major factor.

I would add one important proviso specific to the Caravan: (Though not a factor in many African ops) Some jurisdictions -- i.e. Canada -- have put specific restrictions on the C208 due to its incredible ability to attract airframe icing -- found causal in a statistically large percentage of C208 accidents.