PDA

View Full Version : Air Law question query...

Dr.Biggles
8th Apr 2008, 23:14
Hey guys, got my Air Law tomorrow, so i'm cramming in all the info i possibly can, had my nose in the Confuser and doing the Air Quiz exams!

However i occasionally get a question on the Air Quiz that is annoying me:

In the UK, Class B airspace is:

A allocated above FL245
B allocated at and above FL100
C allocated at and above 3000 ft
D not allocated

Now, i was always under the impression that the answer was A - however Air Quiz tells me the Answer is D and gives the reason as:

"Class C airspace in the UK has been introduced in 2 phases, to harmonise with Europe.

The first of these phases became effective on the 16 March 2006 with the introduction of Class C in UK airspace above FL 245. In order to fully meet the requirement of the EU regulation, in the second phase, Class C will be implemented in UK, at and above FL 195 on the 15 March 2007." Source: AIC 1/2007 (Yellow 227).

This means that there is no airspace classified as B in the UK.

Caution: At the time of writing (March 2007) these changes are not mentioned in current editions of PPL study books, nor are they tested in the current series of CAA examinations."

Now obviously, as the above states my Trevor Thom states that Class B is "Only allocated to Upper Airspace; above FL245" - so this is what i've come to learn.

Did anyone get this question crop up in their Air Law exam? Also, will doing the confuser questions set me in good stead for the type of questions i can expect in the actual exam?

Merritt
9th Apr 2008, 06:56
The question specifically relates to the UK, which currently does not have any class B airspace therefore the answer is D. Thats not to say class B does not exist anywhere else so be aware you might need the info elsewhere.

Good luck

Steve