PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha Soldiers

Cornerstone958
8th Apr 2008, 16:16
Hi Guys
Please take a moment to sign up to the petition to permit all Ex Gurkha Soldiers and their Families who have served our Country British Citzenship on leaving the Service.
Deadline 26 Nov 08
Petition at http://www.petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkha-soldiers.

Thanks for your support:ok:

chiglet
8th Apr 2008, 17:28
Link don't work..:{
watpiktch

Cornerstone958
8th Apr 2008, 18:08
Sorry about that i'm no expert when it comes to computers:ugh:
Try www.nmbva.co.uk (http://www.nmbva.co.uk) for the link or I would be grateful if someone out there can fix it for me.

Brian Dixon
8th Apr 2008, 18:23
Here's a direct link to the petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Gurkha-soldiers/

I know it's a long shot, but I hope common sense prevails.

Regards,
Brian

Letsby Avenue
8th Apr 2008, 22:32
I don't mean to sound harsh but we are EU citizens first and UK citizens second. Our regional government has no powers to grant citizenship to Gurkhas pre 1997

The admission of third-country nationals to the UK and the rules for citizenship are set out not in UK law but by the EU, specifically Council Directive 2003/109/EC of 25 November 2003, "concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents".

Within the framework of reference of this EU law, Gurkhas who were based on Britain – i.e., post 1997 – conform with the entry requirements set out. Those who were engaged prior to that do not. I doubt that the commission would even consider the idea.

All part of the fun and games that is the EU I'm afraid.

parabellum
8th Apr 2008, 23:31
Letsby Avenue Interesting stuff, I hear today that the four candidates for Lord Mayor of London have agreed to support a policy of granting amnesty to all illegal immigrants, given what you say how could this be possible, many of them have been in the country for years?

Two's in
9th Apr 2008, 01:45
I don't mean to sound harsh but we are EU citizens first and UK citizens second. Our regional government has no powers to grant citizenship to Gurkhas pre 1997

Letsby, genuinely curious when that became law back in the UK?

Letsby Avenue
9th Apr 2008, 10:30
The technical difference is that, prior to 1997, the Brigade of Gurkhas was based in Hong Kong while, after that – with the return of the colony to the Chinese – the Brigade has been based in the UK so residency can apply.

The fact that the EU increasingly governs our immigration law should not come as any surprise. Since Maastricht – under the Justice and Home Affairs chapter – immigration policy has become a competence of the EU and, progressively, the EU is working towards a Common Immigration Policy, defining the rules under which third country nationals may enter.

The details of the elements for a common EU immigration policy were set out at the October 1999 European Council in Tampere (Finland) and confirmed in 2004. We – or, in this instance, the Gurkhas – are now paying the price.

Furthermore, as long as we are members of the European Union, this is how it must be. Third country nationals who become British citizens also acquire rights as "EU citizens", set out in Directive 2004/38/EC. These include the rights to bring in their spouses, parents, parents-in-law and children, all of whom then acquire citizenship rights.

So it is that the EU must set the rules, which define not only entry to the UK but to the whole of Europe, and the UK has no choice but to obey.

Northern Circuit
9th Apr 2008, 10:58
i'm definately not sounding harsh when I say that anyone who has served to maintain the freedom of this country gets my vote

:ok:

cazatou
10th Apr 2008, 10:54
Letsby Avenue,

So what are the rules regarding the French Foreign Legion at the end of their service?

parabellum
10th Apr 2008, 11:06
After the satisfactory completion of their contract, (is that five years?), I think you will find they are offered a French passport.

cazatou
10th Apr 2008, 11:34
parabellum

Go to the top of the Class - got it in one!!

Incidentally, the last Soldier who served in the French Army in WW1 recently died - he was an Italian who enlisted in the Legion at the age of 16 before Italy entered the war.

Letsby Avenue
10th Apr 2008, 11:45
I'm just the messenger old chap....

When one becomes a member of the FFL, he leaves his former life behind. Only the unit's security officer knows full details of the member. New identities are issued to those who wish them. 3 years service allows the legionaire to become a French citizen. He may subsequently apply for residency in France which may be granted, however it is dependent on his military conduct.

I have no idea whether this arrangement is in compliance with EU law or not but since we are talking about France... Probably not!

3D CAM
10th Apr 2008, 12:00
Signed.
What is wrong with this effing country. We let someone, who openly preaches hate and urges genocide of us native Brits, to stay here, getting benefits, because someone may be tortured! :confused::confused:Yet we deny the Gurkhas the right, honourably earned, to have the same deal!! This makes my blood boil!!
Come the revolution!!!
3D

Letsby Avenue
10th Apr 2008, 14:28
Totally agree. The problem with this country though, is that we gave it to the EUSSR without a hint of protest.