PDA

View Full Version : Sold off too many airfields, barracks etc? No problem, book into Travelodge

airborne_artist
8th Apr 2008, 12:52
Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/07/ntravelodge107.xml)

"An entire hotel has been taken over by 80 Royal Marines as there is no room at their own base, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed.The MoD has booked all 45 rooms at a Travelodge in Barnstaple, north Devon, as there is no space at the Royal Marines base Chivenor, around 15 miles away.

A spokesman for the MoD did not confirm reports that the accommodation would cost £610,000 as the men would be there until October before they deployed to Afghanistan.

Rooms at the hotel normally cost £65 per night.

The spokesman said they needed the rooms after extra personnel were drafted in to bolster the Commando Logistics Regiment.

He said: "It is vital they train together before deploying to Afghanistan.
"Nearby accommodation was needed and after review of all the options the hotel was found to be the cheapest viable option."

A Travelodge spokeswoman said: "The Ministry of Defence came to us with an accommodation request and we have done everything that we can to help them."

She would not comment on the cost of the rooms, saying this was a private matter for the MoD.

glad rag
8th Apr 2008, 14:45
If you want to beadwindow something this should be it!

AHQHI656SQN
8th Apr 2008, 15:04
Dirty words and Blackadder spring to mind!

Fg Off Max Stout
8th Apr 2008, 16:41
Yes indeed, but if a couple of skinny little Birmingham jihadis want to travel down to Barnstable to have a pop at 45 bootnecks, I think I know who the smart money would be on. Perhaps they could start by going into a bootie pub, spilling a few pints, then saying 'The Paras are more haraam than you', and see if their wispy little beards really do protect them.

SirToppamHat
10th Apr 2008, 18:48
Don't know about the actual costs in this case, but if it was booked through the current version of the CHBS (HRG?) they will be paying an additional £5 per person per night for the privilege.

STH

Thelma Viaduct
11th Apr 2008, 02:15
This is just the tip of the iceberg. People at (insert large army base here) are living in rented apartments overlooking (a large town in east anglia) docklands on 6 month contracts.

The Ginger Prince
11th Apr 2008, 15:16
I saw this news story too. Bit surprised at how the level of Hotel Accom had dropped so much. I remember on one det staying in the Old Course Hotel in St. Andrews..........ahh those were the days!:D

Bunker Mentality
11th Apr 2008, 15:27
Rather a long commute to Devon, though.

Dan D'air
11th Apr 2008, 18:29
Not for a bootie. A morning stroll.

PPI Zulu
11th Apr 2008, 18:38
.....reminds me of a story I heard about the new (not so new now) Wardroom at the Somerset Airstation.

...can't aford the forth wing on the mess so settle for three. Then pay out enough meney to have paid for the forth wing, in rented accom costs, for all those who can't live in because there aren't enough rooms!

I stand to be corrected - urban myth or not? Never let the truth get in the way.....

Could be the last?
11th Apr 2008, 18:52
Isn't this the same as the Holiday Inn Express at Abbey Wood?

They must be making a mint, £85 a night without a cooked breakfast! Spoke with the Scuffers about the security implications of having so many purple suits wandering around - not interested............

WTF Over!

:ugh:

Beatriz Fontana
11th Apr 2008, 19:17
I've stayed in some really manky messes / wardrooms in my time. Like the time I was in the Home Counties on a base in which the mains water conked out.... for ten days... in hot weather... Nice!

Travelodge? Luxury!