PDA

View Full Version : CAA Type Rating Cost

DeltaNg
7th Apr 2008, 20:36
111 GBP for a new bit of paper after a 560 mile round trip, and 58 quid in a cheesy travelodge.

At least the breakfast was cheap ;)

Why so much for an extra line in the licence?

Hmmmmmmm.........:uhoh:

Camp Freddie
7th Apr 2008, 22:00
rip off britain isnt it.

next year my car will cost £300 to tax, all part of the same thing

206Fan
7th Apr 2008, 22:48
next year my car will cost £300 to tax

Sounds like your driving a range rover or something?

Camp Freddie
7th Apr 2008, 23:19
Sounds like your driving a range rover or something?

not really a regular car but it is 215 g/km so is band F of A-G so is £210 this year (band G which is >225 g/km is £400 this year)

next year my car becomes band K of A-M so is £300 and Band M is a whopping £440

oh yes and the showroom tax which for new cars from 2010 will be £240 for band K and £495 for band M on top of all this. now I know the eco-mentalists dress all this up as saving the planet, but really its more stealth tax in rip off britain IMO :(

slight thread creep i know

come in copper 1
8th Apr 2008, 00:53
Thread creep - yes. Justified - hell yes.
Rip of Britain most certainly.

CAA - Cash Again and Again!

MartinCh
8th Apr 2008, 01:30
yeah, guys, this reminded me of licence issue and skills test for private or commercial (or even ATP) in unnamed central European country ranging from 10 pounds to 20 pounds.

Obviously, in local currency. Not a blast for people living there either. Especially as salary levels and buying power are very low, especially compared to aviation costs...

I looked at that CAA pdf file, then looked again.
Then again.
I thought I mistook CoA for airplane fee for license issue, revalidation and skills test. It was more 'appropriate' to UK CAA charges.

Besides training in US FAA system, when I need JAA commercial, I'll just pass all the theory exams with CATS or Bristol and then visit family, pay £5 for recognition of prior whatever and then £10 for license issue.
Naturally, on top of skills test for £20 and aircraft rental.

Yeah, do I need UK CAA heli comm lic for North Sea driving? :-)
Or JAA CPL(H) and JAA IR(H) would do?
Looked into some of this stuff although is couple years ahead from now for me.

Creeping in, but just to show how much of a rip-off things could be here.
Btw, CAA fees over there are set by law. Nominal charges for admin work.

hostile
8th Apr 2008, 02:10
I came to conclusion that my car cost now only $:s.

:ugh::E

helimutt
8th Apr 2008, 04:20
DeltNg, welcome to the real world.;) Bout time you paid for something. Can't believe your company aren't picking up the tab though. :ok:

all_mod_cons
8th Apr 2008, 05:38
Its not as if you get a good service.
I faxed an application to remove a restriction and add a rating but only filled in one 1173 payment form.(I send this form with credit card details filled out and the amount blank) it took four weeks to send my application back with the dear john payment required letter! I can only imagine the first numpty used the form to remove the restriction then handed it to a co worker to add the rating. Now i suppose i'm at the back of the queue.

FloaterNorthWest
8th Apr 2008, 07:49
Need to renew my ATPL(H), if I say with a UK licence it is £126 (but now only 5 year validity, when did that change?) or I can go for a JAR licence for £216 (again 5 year validity).

What's all that about? Has someone got the numbers in the wrong order?

FNW

Camp Freddie
8th Apr 2008, 07:57
Mr Floater,

UK national licence changed from 10 years to 5 years back in 2000.

I originally got a UK CPL(H) in 2000 and expected 10 years, but they told me all licences had changed to 5 years at that time.

rip off britain, isnt it !!

Brilliant Stuff
8th Apr 2008, 12:45
I agree with you it's all too expensive, but what can we do to change it?

Bladecrack
8th Apr 2008, 19:02
I agree it aint cheap, but I cant complain about PLD service lately, they have done my last 2 or 3 ratings while I waited ahead of (counter service) schedule, and the last few by post have been turned round pretty quick too :ok:

However, I dont understand why they have started printing licence pages double sided, makes it really awkward now, there was nothing wrong with the way it was before. :hmm:

Camp Freddie
8th Apr 2008, 20:43
hey mr bladecrack

However, I dont understand why they have started printing licence pages double sided, makes it really awkward now, there was nothing wrong with the way it was before

have you trying just cutting/tearing the page in half, then the problem is sol-ved:=

CF

DeltaNg
9th Apr 2008, 07:05
Good whingeing chaps - I enjoyed that. Makes me feel a lot better :}

Regardless of who picks up the tab, It's still a whole load of cash for very little (or so it appears). It's just another example of public sector waste and self interest to keep the pensions gold-plated.......:oh:

Yeah - and another thing...........:E

Bravo73
9th Apr 2008, 08:02
Regardless of who picks up the tab, It's still a whole load of cash for very little (or so it appears).

Just so that you're aware, you're not just paying for the piece of paper. You are also paying for the running of the CAA. Why? Because all of the CAA's costs have to be recovered from their customers. And guess who their customers are? Yep. Us.

And it's no point whingeing that it's cheaper in FAAland. Of course it is. The FAA is subsidised by the US government. And that's never going to happen over here. :{

Bravo73
9th Apr 2008, 14:21
Ah, va, I never said that the charges were either fair or that the CAA was a paragon of efficiency. ;) I was just trying to explain why the charges seem relatively high.

And I personally think that type ratings for each individual helicopter type is a good idea. There are too many differences between types (even between different marks of some types) for one set of training to cover all helicopters. (But that is another topic of debate all together...)

Just because the FAA do some things better, doesn't mean to say that they do everything better. ;)

The Nr Fairy
9th Apr 2008, 16:54
Not only do costs have to be recovered, but also the CAA has to return 6% to the Treasury. It's this which I feel is a bad starting point for what should be an organisation involved in regulating safety - cost covering yes, profit making no.