PDA

View Full Version : Training School Recommendations-Australia, NSW

Cap.Ale
7th Apr 2008, 07:28
Hi everybody

I'm new to this forum and I'm currently looking to find a training school in New South Wales, Australia where I can gain my PPL, CPL, ME-CIR .

I've researched Basair at Bankstown airport who look pretty good, was just wondering if anyone out there could recommend any other schools or give me any advice on this???

I'm currently a Paramedic (34 yrs old) looking at a career change.

Many thanks.
Alex

BoomerangPilot
17th May 2008, 14:31
Hi Alex, I'm also looking at a career change and to commence training in NSW and have checked out Basair. THeir website looks good and certainly from what I read on there it sounds fairly professional. However I have also done some more research and spoken to a few people who advised to be careful as they demand a %age upfront. Some posts paint a negative picture but the best way would be to visit the place and talk to the guys.

Have you started your training yet?

wheatbix
18th May 2008, 10:20
A word of advice: steer clear of basair. From what i've heard, expect U/S aircraft to be flown, regardless of condition and incompetent instructors. If you're looking to be churned out as "one of the sausages" in the production line, basair is the place to be. Basair seem to be more focused on training overseas students then looking after the local ones.

captainstoobing
18th May 2008, 10:41
I have been to Basair (for 1 lesson) hated the crappy aircraft and being rushed!!!
Airborne Aviation at Camden are brilliant. Their CP is also an instructor (SIM) for Qantas. Check out their website.

SlingsbyT67M
19th May 2008, 11:30
I did my PPL training at Basair prior to moving to the UK. The instruction was fantastic (better than anything that I have received in the UK). Although some of the airplanes were a little sketchy - they were SAFE. Again, more than I can say for a lot of flying schools that I have visited since. However, I have subsequently learnt that Basair have also updated a lot of their fleet. How you can judge a school after one lesson is beyond me:ugh:

I would personally recommend Basair as I am sure a lot of their previous instructors who now work for Qantas will agree!

captainstoobing
19th May 2008, 11:40
Slingsby

They may have new aircraft - crappy tecnams that spend more time being fixed than anything else. They don't have the nickname 'BASH-air' for no reason. They still have the 'sketchy' old aircraft. A fancy website doesn't make a good flying school.:mad:

WIKI44
20th May 2008, 05:59
Hi. I recently finished training at sftc, YSBK. I would suggest you steer clear of aerospace, sftc and basair. Not necesarily beacause of the standard of training, aircraft condition etc.. but mainly because these three schools are concentrating their efforts on international students. Therefore as a local student you will hardly ever get bookings, or the instructor you want. I have seen the number of local students dwindle over the time I spent training. I've always heard positive things about Schofields. In fact one of my instructors is currently teaching there and is very happy with the place. Check it out. Good luck anyhow.
Camdem would also be a good place to check. I think it is yet to be swarmed by international students, and that therefore the schools are still paying attention and due consideration to local students.
Ah ust canme to mind... check out Coast Jet at Port Mac. ME-CIR course is very good from what I've heard. Guessing their CPL/PPL course should be good as well.

And please never go along with what websites look like. These websites are not meant to be a picture of the truth, they are merely an advertisement.

wiki