PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabian Airlines Hercules

no sponsor
6th Apr 2008, 18:21
OK spotters:

Taxied behind a Hercules at Rome, all marked up in Saudi Arabian Airlines colours - reg HZ-116 - seemed a bit shorter than normal Hercs too. It was on a northerly departure from Rome, so not heading back to Saudi.

What is this aircraft used for, and why is it in Saudi colours? Does it transport cars for the Royal Family, or is it used to transport parts for the airline?

irishair2001
6th Apr 2008, 19:04
It most probably is one of the personel flying hospitals, members of the Saudi Royal Family are always accompanied by one of these when they travel

GLENO
6th Apr 2008, 20:49
Apparently the same machine was due in Manchester this afternoon.:ok:

Newforest2
6th Apr 2008, 21:35
It is not a hospital, it is a C-130H used to transport vehicles.

BYALPHAINDIA
7th Apr 2008, 19:44
They used to be regular visitors at MAN, But not seen any for about a year at MAN:confused:

Maybe they got fed up of MAN cuisine:O:oh:

AircraftOperations
7th Apr 2008, 23:11
It was indeed at MAN on Sunday. Pics are up on RR.

I think Saudi use a special 757 for their flying hospital.

garibaldi22000
9th Apr 2008, 12:23
Funny that this subject should come up.

I live in Windsor & am sure I spied Herc climbing away from LHR last saturday.

I'm also pretty sure that I've heard the familar sound on the odd occasion in the past.

Anyone have anymore info. please
thanks
Gary

ManofMan
9th Apr 2008, 18:30
I could be completely wrong here but i thing they currently use Warton over Man, that said HZ-116 remains in manchester toaday or at least it was at lunch time.

MAN777
9th Apr 2008, 21:03
RSAF C130s have been coming to North West England for many years, mostly Manchester but recently Warton. At Manchester I have seen them loaded with everything including the kitchen sink!. They are here to collect BAe spares in connection with defence contracts. Also they have used MAN as a refuel stop for aircraft transiting the Atlantic.

HZ-116 was indeed sat at Manchester this afternoon.

mutt
9th Apr 2008, 21:12
Its a cargo aircraft, what exactly do you think is so special about it?

Mutt

Stevemcmli
9th Apr 2008, 23:08
Hi garibaldi22000, I too am a Windsor Pruner. A Saturday afternoon Herc sighting in or out of EGLL is mostly the scheduled Air Algerie cargo service.

AircraftOperations
9th Apr 2008, 23:54
There is a difference between the RSAF military Hercs which have stopped in MAN and other places over the years, and this Saudi Arabian Herc which carries the national airline's colours.

mutt
10th Apr 2008, 05:47
Whats the difference?

Mutt

ManofMan
10th Apr 2008, 10:39
Whats the difference?

Well for a start most of the RSAF C-130's are in sand camo colour so in the event of war they are camo for ops out of the desert.

HZ-116 is designated a VC-130 AND IS in full Saudia Airlines colours and is operated by the Saudia Royal flight not the RSAF, which i would say means it is very unlikely to ever see any action in a war scenario as it would be a sitting duck !!

I have heard that it is maily used for the transportation of some very nice cars....bugatti veyron anyone....

Ian Brooks
10th Apr 2008, 11:22
Garibaldi you did spy a C-130 at Heathrow last Saturday it was an RAF C-130J

Ian

mutt
10th Apr 2008, 19:13
Saudia Royal flight not the RSAF Are you sure of this???

I dont think so :):)

Mutt

ManofMan
10th Apr 2008, 20:03
Quote:
Saudia Royal flight not the RSAF

Are you sure of this???

I dont think so

Mutt

Well if not then i stand corrected...however....this lot all seem to think so..

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=HZ-116&view=true

out of interest why dony you think so ????

my records tell me that the Saudi Royal Flight current consists of HZ-114/HZ115/HZ116 and HZ-117 all C-130's

HZ-AIF/AIJ/HM1A and HM1B all 747's

HZ-HMED 757

mutt
11th Apr 2008, 00:22
Your records are wrong...... SRF dont fly C130's/L382's...... regardless of what the spotters may think....

Mutt

ManofMan
11th Apr 2008, 05:42
Your records are wrong...... SRF dont fly C130's/L382's...... regardless of what the spotters may think....

Mutt

Can i be the first to thank you for your most informative and factual reply...nothing like backing up a claim with some good hard facts.

I now have one for you.....I know for a fact that the moon is made of cheese, regardless of what the likes of NASA may think.........

SpringHeeledJack
11th Apr 2008, 10:41
ManofMan

Although the moon might well be made of cheese, in this case it might be wise to defer to the man with impeccable information ;)

Regards

SHJ

ManofMan
11th Apr 2008, 14:28
Although the moon might well be made of cheese, in this case it might be wise to defer to the man with impeccable information

Do you have a number for Neil Armstrong ????

SpringHeeledJack
11th Apr 2008, 15:35
The man in question would be mutt.

Some people know and some people really know :p

Regards

SHJ

mutt
12th Apr 2008, 03:56
my records tell me. Personally i would call it a totally inaccurate list rather than a record, apart from the C130's, it requires 5 changes in order for it to be realistic :)

Mutt

ManofMan
12th Apr 2008, 09:30
. Personally i would call it a totally inaccurate list rather than a record, apart from the C130's, it requires 5 changes in order for it to be realistic

Mutt, thanks for clearing things up .....Its not that i dont believe you its just that the records in black and white state its Saudi Royal Flight, you are telling us that HZ-116 is not Royal Flight, but you are not telling us why its not, you obviously know your stuff and are right, but rather that just say "It is because it is", tell us why it is !!!

And as you are clearly in the know, can you tell us : -

A) Who does operate HZ-116 ??
B) Why is it in full Saudi colours whilst other C130's are in Sand Camo ??
C) What is it used for??
D) Why has it been sat in Manchester for the past 6/7 days ??

Thanks

Mom

Playamar2
12th Apr 2008, 11:18
Mutt

Operator is Saudi Special Flight Services which is closely linked to the Royal Flight. It certainly is not Air Force. Radio callsign is Saudia and it has the HZ-prefix which is for civil aircraft.

Playamar2

mutt
12th Apr 2008, 18:49
can you tell us, nope, not even on an anonymous forum....

Final point from me, SFS dont fly C130's!!

Mutt

ManofMan
12th Apr 2008, 20:45
nope, not even on an anonymous forum....

Final point from me, SFS dont fly C130's!!

Mutt

Well if you cant back your claims up then why get involved in the first place ??, all the evidence says that its Saudi Royal Flight, we only have your very sketchy claims that it is not.

Sauda Royal flight it remains then, until proven othewise.

Old Grey
13th Apr 2008, 15:01
Well, Lockheed Martin seem to think that HZ-116 (msn 4915) is a VC-130H.

But, hey, what do they know? They only built the machine, after all....... :cool:

SpringHeeledJack
13th Apr 2008, 18:05
ManofMan

The dog has barked, but he won't bite :}

It's not worth getting het up about, if he were to tell you they'd have to have him put down and mutts are loyal and know where their bread is buttered!

Regards

SHJ

Suzeman
13th Apr 2008, 20:57
I have heard that it is maily used for the transportation of some very nice cars....bugatti veyron anyone....

And of course the Bentley plant is nearby at Crewe.....;) so maybe a connection?

And if that is what it was doing, would that be a Bentley for the Saudi Royal Family or a specially equipped one for the mysterious operator of the VC-130? :}

Suzeman

radicalrabit
21st Apr 2008, 10:16
The aircraft of which I THINK you speak in Saudi Airline Colours moves people. Well it did when I ws in Saudi in 1990-1992
It does look odd, It does look shorter and you wouldn't put a dint in it with an AK 47 !!!!!!:suspect::suspect::ugh: