PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here studied for a B.ENG/M.ENG in Aersopace Engineering?

jordanpolonijo
6th Apr 2008, 14:21
this is just a heads up to see if anyone who used the forum has studied to this level?

if you have post here..

as i wanted to find out which where the strongest universities to study from as so far I believe it to be:

Cambridge
Imperial
Bath
Bristol
Southampton

concorde747
6th Apr 2008, 14:52
yeah i think those are right, because i applied to study aerospace engineering too which i am going to start in september. but not to those as i dont have physics.

jordanpolonijo
6th Apr 2008, 16:19
what are your subjects and predicted grades?

where did you apply to?

roll_over
6th Apr 2008, 17:56
Yeah those are about the best in the, but I think Southampton is the only one to do a BEng with the rest doing the MEng, hopefully I will be studying the course at Southampton in October.

I am puzzled as to how you can apply for an Engineering degree without physics?:confused:

preduk
6th Apr 2008, 18:03
Add Glasgow to the list, it's without a doubt one of the best Universities for it. Although the entry requirements are pretty high as well... I think they are AAAB at the moment.

portsharbourflyer
6th Apr 2008, 18:28
Also Loughborough offer both aBEng and MEng in Aeronautical Engineering.

There are some Ex-Polys (I know they call them all Universities now) and Colleges where it is possible to get onto an Engineering course with only 2 A levels, hence Maths and a Science based subject, hence it is possible to do engineering without Physics. However such a course is not likely to be fully accredited by the Engineering council.

A word of note Aeronautical Engineering use to refer to the BEng and MEng courses that had full accreditation and would be offered by traditional red brick universities (Bath, Bristol University, Loughborough, Southhampton). Aerospace Engineering tended to be found at the Ex-polys (Hatfield, University of West England (Bristols second uni) , Farnborough) and some did not necesarily have full accreditation from the RAEs or IMECHE. Or more correctly would be accredited but for incorporated level not to chartership level.

The reason fewer places are now offering the BEng and most are only offering an MEng is because the engineering associations now require four years of acedemic study in order to be exempt from engineering council exams for chartership (ie: MEng or a BEng + Msc).

Also be aware that Aerospace Systems is offered at some places that concentrates on systems and software rather than the mechanical aspects of aerospace, so be sure what you are applying for.

Considering that in aerospace avionics and systems updates occur much more frequently than new airframes then the systems degree is a good choice. However only pick aero eng if you want to be an engineer, it is questionable how much benefit it is for a flying career.

jordanpolonijo
6th Apr 2008, 21:07
that is very true...

although a candidate who has is educated to m.eng in aerospace with 3-4 years experience working for airbus, boeing etc will surely be beneficial if one decides to go towards flying..

i love aircraft and aviation.....so i thought just flying would neglect other areas of the industry that are of interest to me..

having worked and gained experience after my degree i could when ready move over to CPL training....

well thats my manifesto anyhow..

Leave 5 on the glide
6th Apr 2008, 21:09
Hi jordanpolonijo - I'm currently studying at Bristol, between my 3rd and 4th year, with about 3 months to go in an internship at Airbus UK. If you need any info, pm me . . . . . .

Cheers

l5otg

colette
6th Apr 2008, 23:52
Hey I did the B.Eng in aeronautical engineering at Glasgow, they do MEng too. If you want any info feel free to pm :)

portsharbourflyer
7th Apr 2008, 10:58
If flying is your interest then go for a BEng, an MEng is an extra year at univeristy (ie: more debt) and will delay your flight training for another year.

The aero degree is a reasonable career to fund your flight training but so equally would a straight mechanical or electronics degree. Infact doing mechanical at an established red brick University would probably be better than an aerospace engineering degree at an ex-poly.

Be warned a large percentage of an aeronautical engineering degree is mainly mechanical engineering subjects and only a small number of modules could be deemed specific to aero. So be sure you are keen on engineering and maths rather than aircraft. Also there is probably more demand for Systems and Avionics grads than mech/aero grads, but on the whole the industry is short of engineers any engineering subject would be a fine choice.

You may be disapointed by how little credit you get for your aero degree when applying for flying jobs though. I did get shortlisted for a Middle East Airlines SO scheme as an aero grad with low hours, but it was a season as a full time instructor that finally got me interviews for flying positons.

concorde747
7th Apr 2008, 15:58
you can apply to some without physics. i applied to either mech or aerospace eng however they say its not mandatory but beneficial. the ones i applied to are queen mary university of london, nottingham, surrey and sussex. my predicted grades are ABC in maths ict and business studies

mustflywillfly
7th Apr 2008, 18:57
I did BEng Aero Eng at Farnborough. Wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole if I were you. Alright course, ok facilities but OMG what a super ****e place to be a student! Remember if you are intending to fly then it doesn't ultimately matter where you did your degree other than for snob factor. The RN were quite happy accepting me as a pilot with my degree and I think a knitting degree would prob have been ok too. Think very carefully about which location you would like to live in for 3/4 years and if they have a Univeristy Air Squadron or not.

Good luck. MFWF:ok:

iinhome
10th Apr 2008, 13:55
As a Southampton stude (now in my 4th year) i can only reccomend the place. As a University, we ahve some amazing links with industry, and I don't know about other Universities, but at Soton, although there is a common (ish) engineering first year, the rest of your studies is very areospace based.

as for flying, Southampton UAS is one of the top Air sqn's, and a supurb source of free flying while you 'study'

imarkd
12th Apr 2008, 10:52
Hey,

I'm in my 3rd year of Avionics at Glasgow which is the sister course to Aeronautical Eng. in the department of Aero Eng. I can recommend this course as an alternative to Aeronautical. We share many of the modules with Aero plus a few electronics courses. Its a lot of work but a really interesting course.

If you want more info let me know!

MasterD
12th Apr 2008, 11:12
I did an Meng in Queen Mary and Westfield it was a gr8 uni