PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei Airlines In Chaos

Pages : [1] 2

Ping Pong
21st Jun 2007, 08:45
The 767 fleet has been at the sharp end for too long. Endless roster changes and less than contract days off.

Now my leave has been cancelled (again) due to the shortage of crews on the fleet. We are knackered. Im falling asleep on almost every flight.

The 777 pilots mean time are free to roam the globe with no work in sight for most of them and there is little hope of all the craft getting here anyway.

Shambles. Does anyone care?

Dixons Cider
21st Jun 2007, 10:23
Have any of the triples turned up yet? Saw a photie a while back of one parked up in RBA colours, so they do exist.

thornycactus
21st Jun 2007, 14:55
Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah is so rich and his country does not depend on tourism as a source of income.

Although RBA is their national carrier, government do not invest much money in air transport.

Should RBA turns chaotic, at the most RBA shuts the business (aka fold-up). It is not going to harm Brunei. :)

roxar
21st Jun 2007, 21:30
yeah agree with u thorny..
sultan hassanal bolkiah is very rich..
so it dont effect the brunei economy at all if RBA is shut down...
because he can buy his own a/c..
:}

boocs
22nd Jun 2007, 02:26
Feel for the guys still there....:(

possumshagger
22nd Jun 2007, 06:09
Look, it’s been the countries policy to reduce the number of foreigners being employed there so that it will give the locals more chance to run their own things and the Airline is just one of these businesses.
Unfortunately quite a few of the locals that they put into important management & decision making positions are clearly well below the qualification and experience required for such a post. :confused: "What to do Lah"
Also I am quite sure that there is a lot of wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes? Why else would they get some old 777’s that are strewn with technical & legality problems, unless certain people are making loads of money through the deal. You can be quite sure, that no matter how much we moan and grumble about rosters and leave they won’t give a toss, especially when they must be losing millions on training cost alone. For an aircraft thats not even here yet?:D
Just look at these ex BA trainers that we have got staying here at the moment sitting around doing nothing in The Empire Hotel, on a lovely chunk of salary that none of us will ever see. :rolleyes:

And the initial question “ Does anyone care” Ballocks!!! Of course they don’t?
:oh:

NDBDME
22nd Jun 2007, 07:45
The BA crew are not in the empire!!:cool:

possumshagger
24th Jun 2007, 02:47
Suppose they are only hanging around there, as there is so little for them to do? Nowhere else for them to spend all their money.:hmm:

rolehome
24th Jun 2007, 11:36
As if things weren't difficult enough the acting boss has now changed the rules for applying for leave. Doesn't he have better things to worry about?

boocs
24th Jun 2007, 19:25
Feel sorry for the guys still there.............:(

xrba
25th Jun 2007, 02:09
Why on earth, unless, by virtue of great age or inadequate jet time, which means that you can only be employed by RBA and the like, do you stay there Ping Pong? Even locals, despite great domestic pressures that can only be surmised, have left for pastures anew. RBA has not been recommended as an employer for anyone [except graduates of Jack's Junior Jet Club] for some time now. Few in recent years have regretted leaving, so don't bother complaining here, you will get little sympathy. There are many other jobs are out there at the moment, and most are better by all accounts. This situation is cyclic so why not seize the opportunity? The emergence of the new Asian low cost carriers will certainly not be assisting RBA's bottom line, which was always subterranean anyway, and most expats can only survive so long thanks to the colossal ennui of the place. You have the choice. Good luck.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
25th Jun 2007, 02:30
Xrba,
you are spot on it is sad to see that from the night of the long knives the drama continues to this day.
To the pilots at RBA today do what the chaps at MAS did
VOTE WITH YOUR FEET
It is a pilots market out there so don't winge nobody listens just do it.
Wooblah

possumshagger
25th Jun 2007, 06:12
I'd like to think that voting with your feet would have an effect, but sadly, I don't think it would. In the end, the guy's that are left will have to carry more and more of the burden? they will still just keep taking in junior pilots to fill the demand. Does anyone know when the new CEO is due to take over, not that he will have any say!!!:ugh:

xrba
26th Jun 2007, 00:19
Whilst it must give you a warm glow feeling altruistic about the fate of those who, for reasons that must be increasingly difficult to justify, remain in RBA, most of us leave welfare to the padre [imam?] and carve our own path through the minefield that is the aviation game. Leaving usually does solve one problem, your own!! What happens to the rest is their lookout. Get real and sort yourself out whilst you still have the chance.

Orangputi
26th Jun 2007, 02:57
Being ex-RBA myself I am sad about the recent events.

We loved living in the Abode of Peace, but the package just got worse and worse for us (being an engineer made it even worse).

I am afraid the mentality is that they will only do something about things when there are planes sitting on the ground with no body to fly them and nobody to fix them, simplistic but true.

cruisin
26th Jun 2007, 06:03
See no evil, speak no evil,hear no evil.

You have missed the entire concept of how a proper airline is operated, and all it takes is a few simple rules,

1. No strategic plan
2. No idea about tomorrow as long as you patch up today
3. Put out a roster so people think they can plan a life, but change it daily
4. Dangle a carrot and get them to sign dearly for it
5. Ignore Cost of living adjustments
6. Hold lots of meetings
7. Have long lunch breaks
8. Give 100% productivity bonus to all management

Easy, now stop moaning and be satisfied that all the rules ae being strictly adhered to, as per staff directives.

Ping Pong
29th Jun 2007, 09:31
An easy option I have to say, but is it that easy. Kids love this place, and the school fees paid by RBA are a string.

I know loads of people have left, and I can see that just as a poster has said, dont matter how many leave they just keep dropping the hurdle you have to jump. Look how many hours you need to have to be a training Capt.

JC the feeble and ineffectual ex DFO and has been advisor has gotton the message that the 777 deal might be scrutinized and resigned. Only good can come of this, maybe a few more heads will roll.

At least there is hope even if we cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

possumshagger
29th Jun 2007, 11:50
Ping pong your right, Its not an easy option, I left because there is just no development for qualified & experienced people, especially if you want to be a training Capt and your not in the CD (megalomania group). Here they have again put up 2 very inexperienced local guys into training positions that is clearly beyond their scope. One has also been telling junior F/O's starting on the fleet that they have to get things word perfect, as expat Capt & F/Os are not that good?? Where do they get these guys??

SlimJim47
4th Jul 2007, 07:20
Ping Pong

RBA management have ignored its crews concern over rosters, tiredness and on many occasions fatigue for many years now. They find the best solution is to ignore it. Pretend they are unaware it is happening as they are not suffering from the symptoms. Their rosters are nothing like the back to back long hauls of the line pilots.
As far as when the 777s arrive, there age, condition or the price is unimportant. The decisions of what planes to get will depend on the same criteria it always has.
What personal benefits will the managers involved get out of it.
Perhaps JC is doing a runner now knowing it may be investigated (RBA, I doubt it).
Remember what youve been told, If you dont like it, *uck off. Well in 3 years, when your bond period is complete anyway.
New CEO coming soon I but dont expect too much from him. Weve seen others come in, earn a good salary, screw the staff, then leave the mess to those left behind, taking his big bonus. Still amazed PF was employed by anyone again. But they dont seem to worry about his past incompetent management positions.
The 777s are manys ticket out of here, the management must be aware of that, which explains the excessive bond.
But they are not worried as there is still a very lucretive deal with rishworth continuing after many years, and that extra "income" is what keeps the management there.

Bob Hawke
5th Jul 2007, 11:02
Oh ye of good faith, be assured that those that carry the evil faith will not be bought asunder! The corrupt, evil and incompetent will stay and beg the Serpent New for vengeance, and will reap contempt from their fellows, nay without a care; those fellows which art true and can say naught and do naught but wait for Serpent New to splash venom from the corner vilest upon their monthly visitations.
Verily lies upon lies about the wondrous auto-camels will be cast amongst the riders of them, those Cameleers! For it is the desire of such pleasing creatures that makes the minions stay with hope in their hearts, longing in their loins, all with all, slavish duties and shekels’ of the poorest lands counted on the hand of three fingered pirates: Oh that the Blessed Master will bestow upon them new Caravans of joy, alas with a life of misery! The Misery of Masters small!
Yea, in days of yore when multitudes of cameleers looked upon the Abode of Peace with a glinting eye and heart of desire to serve the Blessed Master; ‘twas truly a sight to behold. Yea, the shekels counted fair, the dwellings were prime, and the Roster true. Now in these vile times, where those Born Capable take as the three fingered pirates take from the Cameleers new, verily take now from the Blessed Master, and allay the suspicions of fools by surrounding them with men of Black hearts and forked tongues.
As I ponder the bath of intoxicating bonding, and Crane my way to the Bank of Misfortune I know I shall be rewarded with a new auto-camel not of my Master’s Stable, but a Stable afar. Fear dwells in my heart as I ponder the wrath of the night of leaving to Lands more fair, for I fear not speak amongst the evil followers of the Serpent New, as thou make misery upon misery upon those that speak of such things. Creatures wicked, they are, that eat the hearts of men true.

flying-spike
7th Jul 2007, 04:00
So I take it you're pissed off and leaving too?

Back2Back
7th Jul 2007, 04:31
This little nest will be lined from gains of not just the 777, but of all the other Investment for Retirement scams like crew car hire and Rishworth all aired on past posts.

Now im back on the 76 with the 777 in the back pocket I care not for the chaos that exists. That millions is wasted on poor planning seems not to worry a soul - but try not making use of a used envelope in flt ops and there are looks of http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies/sowee.gif

A little bird has told me that an impending case in the High Court, in which he was a star player as an inept manager who sacked a pilot who refused to go into discretion, is about to start.

Hed better hide the loot well

possumshagger
11th Jul 2007, 09:22
Everything about the company is a scam, at least I managed to escape before things get even worse. Take the rating and run, there are loads of jobs around at the moment, its the only thing that will make them standup and listen. Can't believe they are still managing to recruit form other countries?:suspect:
Obviously these new guys haven't heard the real story.

organic3
19th Jul 2007, 06:57
With incompetent managers like the dalai lama running things, what would one expect. No one seems to have the guts to stand up to this bully. He proves on a daily basis, that he has no managerial skills whatsoever. RBA really need to get rid of this guy, before they lose more good pilots!

D'pirate
20th Jul 2007, 08:00
Viva Macau is looking for quality 767 pilots :ok:

possumshagger
20th Jul 2007, 09:01
There is always 767 & Airbus jobs around, some with proper management who want their employees to stay and prosper. Just leave, they will never get the message and things will never change.:\

Tucker Man
24th Jul 2007, 07:45
Turning the screw on the use of Amber Liquid is yet another reason for us to think about how green the grass is on the other side.

Bob Hawke
24th Jul 2007, 12:26
The evil twin of the Dalai Lama - Serpent New - is the crux of the problem really; along with hopelessly incompetent and inept work philosophy and lack of HR skills that the company demonstrates. "Bully" is the word that describes his behaviour best and he is thriving in a totally non accountable environment. One wonders if he's actually been egaged to bring the company to a grinding halt, 'cause sure as hell, he's doing it! Such a disgusting individual relies on spying, cultivates division, orchestrates discontent, threatens maliciously, prys into personal lives without cause or reason and reminds people of his "ill gotten" knowledge. A vile creature, most vile!

Really, he's just a shiver looking for spine to run up - so don't let it be yours.

Wouldn't you love to be so popular? What a backwater it has become.

Chill
24th Jul 2007, 15:20
Must be triplets then... same tactics by AAB in QR. :uhoh:

WiraMelayu
26th Jul 2007, 02:16
Hi, I am a Muslim but out of courtesy and respect to Buddhists kindly refrain from using his Holiness name in your personal grievance!

Dixons Cider
26th Jul 2007, 07:17
What are the new laws re the use of the amber fluid?

Tucker Man
28th Jul 2007, 10:38
No folks he is not new in town. His offical title is Fleet Manager, 767 Fleet.

Bob Hawke, and others before him, has given a factual account of this managers 'skills'.

As Flyingtoothpick pointed out, there was fleet joy when he applied to SQ and all had high hopes to see the back of him.

Newer pilots in RBA might not be aware that he was successful in the interview process and was waiting for a start date to join.

However, Senior Management at SQ were made aware of what a disgrace to our profession he had become within RBA, and revised their offer of employment.

Static in the Attic
29th Jul 2007, 11:47
Tuckerman, cowardly words - ah the security of anomimity. Nope, not management, or a fan of; and as demoralised as all. But afford your readers accuracy, SN was not refused SQ due incompetence (too junior for reputation at the time?) - but rather impending pilot court case, which as FC he was necessarily involved in. I repeat, not a fan, just pi**ed at the misleading crap we read on Pprune.

Bob Hawke
31st Jul 2007, 07:06
Static, perverted views you says; wot rot! Me thinks you have been dining,winning and perhaps dilly dallying :suspect: with the Serpent New. You have fallen under his spell. Mediocre as it is. Care for a game of golf, old chap!
Such a despicable individual who has utter contempt for all that don't kowtow to him and he's running the company - downhill!

BTW it WAS a good company, past tense! Prediction - more to leave very soon so don't be last, no use going down with the sinking ship. For the newbies, my condolences, you are about to discover a whole new meaning to reaming and demeaning. Shalom.

possumshagger
31st Jul 2007, 10:08
Sorry Static, think you have been sniffing the BS too long, time to get your head into some fresh air. This management is absolute crap, they are demoralizing to nearly all and sundry, without a care about peoples careers or their future developement. Many have moved their families to Brunei with the hope of developement and promotion, only to be shunned and pushed aside by these morons in management or training. Just Heard they are again forcing an experienced SFO out as he doesn't fit in with their mentality after he relocated all his family to Brunei.
I just hope others thinking of joining this circus reads all these comments and doesn't make the same mistakes as some of us have done.

Tucker Man
2nd Aug 2007, 11:13
Disagree Static.

SN had a well deserved reputation as somebody who lacked any moral backbone, and one who would without hesitation, ignor any legal requirment if he thought he could get away with it.

Unless RBA takes a clearer and tougher line on it's most embarrassing manager, it's credibility and perhaps even it's future will remain in doubt.

Brianigham
3rd Aug 2007, 16:11
:ugh::ugh::ugh:Gosh ........this is starting to sound like MAS. What a shame.

Borneo Wild Man
3rd Aug 2007, 18:19
Just returned from Serasa after a few beers with about 20 of the guys.Good to see a little bit of morale still retained.
I still think ,theres a hell of a lot of good bugg*ers I work with in RBA.
:ok:

organic3
4th Aug 2007, 03:27
brianigham,

If you are not part of RBA, then why bother posting. If its starting to sound like MAS, then bad luck.

Yes, this guy has no regards for rules. SN will work all day in the office and then fly a long haul, cause hes a 'company man'.

What sort of an example is that. Talk about unprofessional. unbelievable more like it. how does a guy like this get to be in such a position.
Its called 'localisation' folks.

Well, i am all for localising a company, but at what expense. If it means the company goes down the gurgler, like what is happening at RBA, then is it worth it. We have a CP who is way out of his league, (lovely guy mind you), and a fleet manager who is just plain incompetant, and a bully to go with it. I will not mention all the rest, but there are a lot of them.

Anyway, you see, what to do lah..

xrba
4th Aug 2007, 04:22
Sadly, Tucker Man, RBA's professional credibility was hugely diminished when the Labuan Lunatic was not summarily dismissed for the most willfully dangerous flying episode I have ever heard of, and subsequent dubious command promotions have not assisted matters. Knackered old 767s don't help either. Some good guys remain for whatever reason, but have an uphill struggle. However, as everyone knows, RBA's future solely depends on the will of H.M. not any other factors. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, transpires from the long anticipated court case though.

possumshagger
5th Aug 2007, 12:04
Well Bonieo Weak Man, think you probably had a few beers too many when you posted your last? Would have been fun to fly with you, however I do prefer to go with professionals!!:ok:

I do agree with you that there are lots of great guys left in RBA, its just sad that there are weak individuals in positions of power and authority that constantly drive these great people out. For a small flying club its is certainly well known out in the void of real airlines, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

Glad to hear you can still get beer, however it will be like all the other nice little things in the abode of peace, it will gradually be taken away.:suspect:

Borneo Wild Man
5th Aug 2007, 20:49
Shaggs mate,
Good to see Wanchai still rocks!!!:eek:

rolehome
6th Aug 2007, 11:24
Any word on the 777s? have they scraped past the FAA checks?

Bob Hawke
6th Aug 2007, 16:03
Yes, definately arriving next week! That was four weeks ago. :rolleyes:
Wanchai, is that like Kuala Lurah, without Ebineeza's?
Isn't it about time someone wrote an MOR about SN :8 working all day in the office and then flying long haul in the evening. "Ahhh, you see, (last name spoken with contempt!), I have company interest at heart, maybe you can be model effoh, do same and you get command or 777 course. So you tell me who doing what?" blink blink.
Did anyone ever hear the result of his recent "How to be nice to people management course?" He was sent on one apparently, but the report card is not in.
Just a quick jem of wisdom to share:
It's always a good idea to fly past the Tower to check if your wheels are down & locked when you have gear problems, especially at night:8

Ndicho Moja
9th Aug 2007, 23:35
I see that Tiger Airways of Singapore have been given authority to start services between Singapore and Brunei. This route is one of RBA's busiest. I don't know how lucrative this route is, especially since it is also a code shares with SQ, but this must or SHOULD make RBA's management sit up and think:uhoh:
The up-side is there will be more choice for the customer.:):ok:
Ndico Moja.

possumshagger
11th Aug 2007, 11:09
Ndicho Moja!!!!! How dare you accuse RBA management of thinking? What a scurrilous accusation to make!!!!!:E

Ping Pong
20th Aug 2007, 09:10
Leave cancelled by SN (no disscussion, no do you have any hols booked and paid for, would you mind)

A visit to the office takes place to find what scrapes are left, ah that 4 days to take the family to Oz looks good.
What does this guy do, run down a mate or two, disclosing private and personal details with a clear view of intimidating me like he has no doubt done to them.

I feel a sharp decline in respect for this fleet manager and have sympathy for those of us that for one reason or another feel it best to stay here-for now.

daninLTN
9th Sep 2007, 16:35
Anyone know what happened out of LHR today?? First it was nothing, then cancelled, then flight was back on and the gate was open!!?!
Bravo Golf back in service yet? :confused:

daninLTN
9th Sep 2007, 19:51
And now it the flight is... cancelled again.
tech probs i guess??

mohdawang
9th Sep 2007, 21:22
It is sad that RBA has come to this; however for many with the East India Company type of mentality, it is the end of the buffet wagon. The filthy good days are gone, the loot are mostly gone and the fear is that the fortress may crumble as the foundations are rocked.

Ndicho Moja
10th Sep 2007, 00:29
The foundations are not being rocked, quite the opposite. The foundations are crumbling due to neglect and inaction by those in management ,who, with a little bit of intestinal fortitude, could make a big difference. The basic product is sound and with a thorough update could become world class again, or at least relevant.

xrba
10th Sep 2007, 02:41
Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that Brunei, with it's tiny population and it's very limited tourist attractions, cannot reasonably justify anything more than a few A320s/737s for local connections, as it was a few years ago. No-one will bite that particular bullet, so the outfit flounders around with the clueless management continually bleating 'must cut costs', whilst it is haemorrhaging cash at every turn. 3 separate fleets!!! [perhaps, if the 777s ever materialise]. Any competition nearby? Only SQ and Tiger amongst many others!!

What does Brunei want? A first class long haul flag waver/employment scheme which doesn't come cheap, or an airline with the correct critical mass that might just break even? Unfortunately at the moment it has neither to nobody's credit.

daninLTN
10th Sep 2007, 14:34
Maybe Mr Sayer has a few tricks up his sleeves...
Speaking of him, how are things with him in office??

possumshagger
15th Sep 2007, 06:22
Mr Sayer??? Who’s he?
Another lamb to the slaughter or just there to collect a big lump of money when he beats his retreat from this foolish company run by incompetents.
Hope he's got a good crash helmet on, as he will be beating his head against a brick wall with this lot, perhaps he should read what customers think of this circus.:ugh:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

Big Kahuna
26th Sep 2007, 01:07
Those 777's turned up yet?

Back2Back
26th Sep 2007, 22:27
Money Laundering authoritys are tracing several large transfers to the South of Spain.

Ndicho Moja
27th Sep 2007, 10:42
Four FOs this week decided that they have had enough.:ugh:

boocs
27th Sep 2007, 14:19
South of Spain????

Christopher Skase lives!!!!!!!!!!

b.

daninLTN
27th Sep 2007, 15:02
Are things really that bad? Is it his majesty still the one who keeps them going?? I don't understand it!! Do the management have no experience at all and just dont know how to run an airline??? Didn't BI used to be one of the best in Asia and won Best First Class a couple of times???

:confused:

Ndicho Moja
28th Sep 2007, 00:16
daninLTN, in answer to your post, in short....Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. Simple isn't it.

possumshagger
28th Sep 2007, 00:53
They say the new CEO might be able to turn it all around??? :p
Just had an email from another F/O thats about to hand his notice in due to the disgusting way training and management has treated him. No wonder they are all leaving when all these guy's just want to progress and are continually slapped down by the C.D. empire and his " Training Techniques " :D

TopTup
28th Sep 2007, 23:53
I understand that RBA recruit their F/O's from different sources, ie Rishworth, another company from UK (Thomson's?) as well as some direct entry recruits not on contracts. Which F/O's are throwing it in, and what I mean is, from which "group", if any? Or is it an all round thing? What about the Capt's? With this "pilot shortage" happening the grass I'm sure is greener somewhere else. 2 other (large) operators I know of are having their experienced F/O base plundered by airlines offering direct entry commands, relocating costs and the salary package to make the decsion to move on not that difficult. With many guys now 777 endorsed (but not current any more?) there must be options elsewhere.

MAS Guy
29th Sep 2007, 00:35
Testing Times

cruisin
30th Sep 2007, 10:12
Mas guy you are right, testing times!

4 fo's just resigned and that is just the start of the slide.

School fees going up 25% and no increase in wages.

Emirates have 100% school fees, a good superanution scheme, housing options, better salary, roster equity, medical for family,loss of licence and health for family, new aircraft that actually arrive, and they are new

They obviously have some sort of plan. Whats that a plan?

ie, they value all employees and understand they are the most important tool for survival.

When RBA change their outlook to the future and embrace foward thinking and progression, then respect, commitment and willingness will come from staff, until then we will just wallow as a ship without a rudder

Good Luck, I am movin on

possumshagger
2nd Oct 2007, 05:15
Don't they teach their management system to think??? perhaps ward of the impending doom? The company I'm with have had several inquiries from guy's in RBA looking at escaping. Think RBA are deluding themselves if they think guys are just going to stay because of the lifestyle.:cool:
The money is not going to last forever, wait till they start late paying of salaries, allowances, and gratuity, thats usually the tell tale sign's.

Bob Hawke
2nd Oct 2007, 10:59
Some of you seem to think the Emperor is not wearing any clothes.

daninLTN
4th Oct 2007, 16:38
Some movement;
3x weekly 772 non-stop, 4x weekly 763 1-stop to LHR from 3 December

Bandar Seri Begawan BWN - London, Heathrow LHR
BI093 Depart 23:55 Arrive 06:40+1 Boeing 777-200
Monday / Wednesday / Friday

London, Heathrow LHR - Bandar Seri Begawan BWN
BI094 Depart 10:10 Arrive 07:35+1 Boeing 777-200
Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday

Bandar Seri Begawan BWN - Dubai DXB - London, Heathrow LHR
BI097 Depart 20:35 Arrive 06:40+1 Boeing 767-300
Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday / Sunday

London, Heathrow LHR - Dubai DXB - Bandar Seri Begawan BWN
BI098 Depart 10:10 Arrive 10:10+1 Boeing 767-300
Wednesday / Friday / Sunday / Monday

:D

Might not mean anything but still...

heresy
5th Oct 2007, 12:00
See there is another one broken in TPE that looks like its going to be there for a while? Haven't RBA learn anything from all the problems they have been having over the past decade???? What an embarrassment to aviation this management is!!!:cool:

daninLTN
6th Oct 2007, 12:45
Why is it taking so long to find an engine???
Anyone know the status of the other 3 aircraft??

:ugh:

Bob Hawke
7th Oct 2007, 18:03
I have it form a very good sourse that a well respected SFO has resigned to take a Brisbane base putting the cheese on the burgers at McDonalds. Wants to be part of a dynamic progressive EOE company. :}
Is this the begining? The Talent drain; will Macas scoop up more of these talented people. Word is more interviews are being offered to many top performers from RBA, but what they really need are some clowns. Perhaps some of the RBA Managers would have the necessary ability to fill those slots.

MAS Guy
7th Oct 2007, 22:17
Let me in RBA then, I'll turn the company around. Where is my "Rotan"?

heresy
8th Oct 2007, 01:17
RBA is a very progressive company????? Unfortunately, whilst most progressive companies are on the way up, RBA is on the limbo bar principle. ie: how low can we go??:p

daninLTN
9th Oct 2007, 14:54
flyingtoothpick, do you mean the 767 V8-RBG is tech in TPE?
Is this plane going to Niugini or was that never happening?
Why are they letting one of the retrofitted birds go first?
And why is it taking so long to get an engine? I know PW isn't the most widely used engine maker for the 777 but why is it so difficult to get an engine??
Lastly :O any plans to retrofit V8-RBK/L?

icom
10th Oct 2007, 00:44
Nice to see the new CEO on the back page of the Borneo Bulletin, first time I’ve seen him, obviously has time on his hands to be at a presentation of a couple of free tickets, the fact that he’s doing this must mean nothing more pressing to sort out at work!! Things must be looking up!!! PS first post ever so hello

Tucker Man
10th Oct 2007, 09:21
The head of engineering has been 'removed' (again) from office. Word is that there was a close working relationship with the Foxey provider of the clapped out 777's that were to have been in service months ago.

Has the new CEO got wind of the miserable standard of integrity that has so long blighted the 767 fleet office.

RoyenRash spill the beans.

oose
10th Oct 2007, 11:11
No future is the word out there.
Results never forthcoming in any implementation of improved contract.
Guys have interviews now, others already awaiting results.
Wont be too long before not enough crew for the job!
Until the company take a change in attitude and bring their historical conditions up to date, the demise will continue.

Big Ben
10th Oct 2007, 11:29
Is it true that the RBA B777 " The Second aircraft " has left Singapore?
I thought I saw It a couple of weeks ago in the hanger.
Has it flown to Brunei and about to start service?

4syllables
11th Oct 2007, 11:02
I think its about time that the pilots of RBA thought about implementing some Industrial Action. eg: go slow, etc etc, Everything is just getting out of hand, and the pilots need to do something about it!!!!!!!

Any thoughts???? :ugh:

heresy
12th Oct 2007, 00:31
We dont need to go slow, just let gound and pax handling here in Brunei do it for you, they couldn't go any slower if they tried? Also think that the second 777 is still in Singapore waiting for the engine.:rolleyes:

flappy wings
12th Oct 2007, 01:59
The fastest thing that appears to happening at RBA is its demise. While a pity to watch, not unexpected. The company for a long period has been plagued with poor management, both local and further a field and with the expansion of many airlines in the region RBA will have to show some substance, not just a flag waver for HM.
For those that complain about the management of the training department, it has not been any different since CD has been at the helm. Many good pilots careers have been adversely affected by his single minded poor decisions, his performance at Airbus with the introduction of the 320 was an absolute embarrassment, something most professional airlines can do without. I believe the visit to British Airways was not a lot better, that’s why he is at RBA for 15+ years and not a TRE at British.
Never have there been so many good positions with excellent airlines for professional pilots. Do as many have done before. LEAVE. Why let your career remain in the hands of such incompetence?

heresy
14th Oct 2007, 08:02
Well Flappy Wings, your statement is correct on all fronts.

It’s not a pity to watch, its’ an absolute travesty, particularly when so many people’s livelihoods and careers will be lost or destroyed. And it’s not entirely true that as a company they don’t care about those that work here, because over the past few years I have seen the management’s compassionate side on several occasions, especially during family crisis’s.
In the past few years there has been approx 9 SFO’s & 11 Capt’s resigned from the Airbus fleet alone? This is mainly due to the development and progression in their careers being held back by the training Dept and those they influence. There are too many influences within this organization that have been in senior management positions for too long and have not strived for greater development of the company and those that are trying to be part of it. Instead they have built their own little Empires, feathered their own nests and placed themselves in untouchable positions. Luckily some of them have now left the company, but just looking at what’s going on now, these guys are still fleecing the company one way or another. ( jobs for the boys? )

I personally have never come across a training manager with so much influence? So it’s either CD’s way or the highway!! There has been several very experienced Capt’s and F/O’s that are totally astounded by the way training is done, especially since their experience and abilities are always slapped down as soon as they arrive here. ( great CRM )
Anyone who dares to pass comment are immediately blacklisted as rogue elements and banished to the eternal damnation ( or night Darwins )? All this is very sad, as there is some great trainers within the company that are trying to do the right thing but are also afraid for their own positions to speak out.

I just hope the new CEO recognizes where the problems are and sets plans to rectify them before it is too late or the demise will happen.

xrba
15th Oct 2007, 04:46
Brunei possesses an airline too large to be entirely staffed by locals, the population base is insufficient to produce all the skills required, even Singapore can't do that, much though it would like to, and so expats are required to make up the shortfall in some trades. As the rewards for working in such a tedious little jungle miles from anywhere are so poor these days, and plenty of other jobs are available, the only long term foreign residents are liable to be a) rather odd, and b) less than top drawer material. The Malay Brunei locals do not have an outstanding reputation for industry or decision making, and expat career structures are of little concern to them. The actual state of the outfit is someone else's problem lah. Considering the wealth of the place, especially with the current oil price, is the rest of Brunei's infrastructure in such sparkling condition that RBA is the only exception? Look around you! Do the locals really care? Will anything ever change? I doubt it, that's why most sensible people take what they need from the place, be it relief from unemployment or widebody experience, and quietly move on to greener pastures whilst the doors are open, in our game they can close again with alarming rapidity. As for some form of industrial action, go-slow etc, is Brunei such a democratic, union influenced nirvana that that kind of behaviour would be happily tolerated. About two years ago, an experienced, generally well-respected captain was summarily dismissed for no discernible reason, and the court case for compensation is still to be heard despite strenuous efforts! Expat workers have little status, be they captains or amahs, so accept the place as is or leave, things aint getting any better!

icom
15th Oct 2007, 09:14
Xrba what are you on !!

“The only long term foreign residents are liable to be a) rather odd, and b) less than top drawer material.”

From what I can gather the latter comment just about sums you up!!

If it wasn’t for some of us long term foreign residents this place would have been on its knees years ago, most of the long term foreign residents have just flown through BA 777 courses( no pun intended) and many of the boys when they do leave do so for better jobs. Trust me some of us long term residents are being offered very good jobs but most of us are hoping that this new CEO might just might have the Balls to change things. If he doesn’t then god help him it will bite him in the A**E this time! :=:=

Ndicho Moja
15th Oct 2007, 14:09
Well said. Brunei really is for the Brunei Malays. The people of Brunei put up with expatriates because there is a job to be done that really does not interest them in the least.

In summation; go to Brunei, enjoy the life style doing what you think you do best and when you or the Nationals have had enough, clear off back to where you came from or move on to the next 'gig'.

Again, well said.

xrba
16th Oct 2007, 02:47
icom, you are probably correct, the place would have been on it’s knees years ago but for some of you long term expats, just don’t expect to be paid properly, or even thanked for your efforts. Is Brunei inc. a registered charity then?
As for pilots with thousands of hours on the 767 passing a 777 course, it would be an absolute disgrace if they didn’t! It is hardly the sternest challenge in aviation for them to fly through a course that many are surprised Boeing couldn’t arrange to be a common rating from the UK CAA. As for oddities, have you visited the training department recently, [much discussed on this thread]. Possibly you already work there, so can see nothing amiss. Still, why not strike the 767 fleet office a glancing blow to reinforce my surmises, although that has been improved slighty of late by the removal of one of the funnier [not haha] ones some time ago.
It will be an event of biblical proportions if the new CEO manages to achieve anything in Brunei. Many others, much vaunted, with similar backgrounds have tried to little effect. After 38 years of the aviation business is he really going to be worried if his efforts fall on stony ground, or will he pick up 3 years of good contract money to top up his pension [there, someone is well paid in RBA!] and slide off into the sunset, untroubled by what is left behind? I certainly would not be putting my faith in him, or his balls, or god helping him, or his A**E being bitten by anyone, when jobs are temporarily available in outfits with better terms and conditions, but still, I’m probably just a cynic who doesn’t put his trust in you, or any blandishments from the management. Cold cash will do me nicely thank you.
Any comments about the other points I raised in my missive? For example it would be nice to see some movement in the forthcoming, and long awaited, court case, but I have my doubts. Too many skeletons in that particular cupboard.

icom
16th Oct 2007, 06:17
Xrba, you seem about as well informed about RBA as our ex CEO was with regard to 777s, he to driven by money and not facts!! Whilst not wishing to get into a slanging match with you about RBA, it does have its problems, I am not a trainer I am a professional and would not wish to be associated with a very out dated department, I pull my own socks up, with help from other experienced professionals, but RBA still attracts very experienced pilots, in the last year alone 6 easyjet capts onto the Airbus, one a trainer. One x CP(BA outfit) and CTC trainer and one trainer from a loco Sin outfit. Most of these pilots choose to come to RBA no gun held to head and all of them had a choice of other carriers to go to, not last chance saloon or given some C**P gen from a contract Agency(another topic in my opinion). The lifestyle is still good if not better than elsewhere and money is easy to save, my wife can’t even spend it here as no good shops here perfect!!:=

As for Nclicho Moja come out from behind xrba and say something useful!!:=

Ndicho Moja
16th Oct 2007, 08:08
OK. If you or any one else for that matter dislike to conditions or happenings at RBA don't let the door bang you in the back-side on the way out.

Plain enough?

icom
16th Oct 2007, 08:44
Ndicho Moja read the post I never said I dislike it here infact just the opposite.:cool: Thats why I am still here!

flappy wings
16th Oct 2007, 10:12
Stop the mud-slinging guys. You all have very valid points. The points on this tread are only being raised because management is not prepared to listen to anyone’s point of view. RBA does have some extremely talented professional pilots, however none are in Flight Op’s Management.A previous DFO’s had the leadership to demote one of these managers due to his poor performance from the position of CP, however lack of top-level management over the last few years has only allowed him to rebuild his empire of insular YES men. One can only hope that the current CEO has the foresight to get out and mix with the line pilots, the backbone of what is a safe, sound operation and find where their concerns lie. This should certainly lead to a restructure of the training department with the talent that has been mentioned. Those recent arrivals from modern training systems in the UK that are audited by authorities of first world countries have the ability to replace management positions currently held by people that have no place in modern airlines. Fix this problem and he is on the road to solving a lot of the career concerns that currently exist, and in the past has resulted in the departure of some great talent from the front of RBA aircraft

heresy
16th Oct 2007, 11:50
Well said Flappy wings,
I agree there are worse places to work other than Brunei and if we are all so unhappy then vote with our feet, but we are Professionals and as a result, why sit back and watch something fail so miserably. This company needs people in strategic positions that know how a modern airline works and what’s required to keep it going. The training department is run by someone who's 20yrs behind with current practice and needs to go, before he does anymore damage. How many more good people have to leave because of this guy and his outdated thinking and oppressive regime.

The Reverend N
17th Oct 2007, 06:01
Sorry , I dont work at RBA but as a Flight Training Manager with over 31 years experience, I cannot disagree more with your assessment of CDs training system.It is exceptional in all aspects.Other FCTMs I know who have looked at it agree, its of the highest calibre.Well balanced, thorough, and easy to follow, certainly in line with current thinking.You are obviously not in the know about modern flight training thinking.

hot tuna
17th Oct 2007, 19:13
CD is not compact Disc ...........;)

xrba
18th Oct 2007, 03:05
I agree with the previous comments about CD as a trainer, during my time I found him OK, straighter than most, although he did show incipient signs of long-term-residency syndrome [going troppo it used to be called] with his infamous “Dive into DXB” and other tricks. However, is the latest in the line of Great White Hopes really going to be concerning himself with the vagaries of the training regime or pilot rosters when there might just be more pressing concerns for him given the current state of RBA? I hope he does for everyones’ sake, there is no-one else to do it, just don’t hold your breath waiting.

I am amazed that any well qualified pilots are willing to join, or remain in RBA for the current salary, which must be one of the lowest anywhere, usually it is one of the major attractions of the expat job to compensate for the privations of the place. Saving on it these days must put one in line for the AB trophy! He was proud of living on BND700 a month, but very quietly! In my day the wives solved the shopping problem simply, it was called 421/429. Best not tell them about Staff Travel!!

Let’s hope that when the current worldwide hiring band stops playing that there are seats for all who might like to sit down elsewhere.

The Local Guy
18th Oct 2007, 06:51
xrba
-The Malay Brunei locals do not have an outstanding reputation for industry or decision making, and expat career structures are of little concern to them. The actual state of the outfit is someone else's problem lah. Considering the wealth of the place, especially with the current oil price, is the rest of Brunei's infrastructure in such sparkling condition that RBA is the only exception? Look around you! Do the locals really care? Will anything ever change?

Ndicho Moja
-The people of Brunei put up with expatriates because there is a job to be done that really does not interest them in the least.

Your assessment of Brunei Malays as lacking in industry and decision-making, has shown your outright arrogance and ignorance during your stay here. Are you saying our main shareholder, His Majesty, who is a Brunei Malay, has these traits? If you've been in Brunei, you would know that things have changed a lot in the last 15 years. Under His Majesty's guidance, infrastructure and support has improved.

I'm a Brunei Malay pilot and have been with the airline for nearly 15 years. My family and friends are here in Brunei, this is home. Unless i resign and leave, i'll still be here for another 30 years.
20 years from now, when most of the expat pilots have left, i will still be here insya-Allah. We locals DO care and we DO give a damn about this airline.

Having said that, my local counterparts and i, do welcome the experience of expats in RBA. Variety after all, is the spice of life.
10 years ago, we only had 20 odd locals and now our numbers have increased to over 70. No doubt, the numbers will increase in the next 20 years. So do you think these 70 plus locals DON'T care?

When you are sipping your beer cans by your pool in Spain, Sydney or wherever you'll end up retiring, we will still be here. The airline that is in chaos will still be here and it will be OUR PROBLEM.

Yes, there are many problems in RBA. Not just in Flight Ops but elsewhere too. But since you guys have so many complaints about Flight Ops and RBA as a whole, why not give a more constructive solution rather than blasting names.

Yes, CD's man-management skills has a lot to be desired for but let's not forget the man puts more work into training than previous FCTM's. (By the by, i'm not one of his clones, i'm just a line pilot who still has hair)
So if CD is not the man to run training, who should run it? And what of SN and the Dalai Lama? Shall we replace them too? Shall we sack everyone who we think are incompetent? Shall we beg for MF and JC to come back since they did a 'great' job before?
Don't just address the problem, come up with a solution.

The problem with these postings is that all you guys ever talk about are you, you and you.

"Oh the Expats are getting hard done by, we should all leave!"

"The locals are incompetent idiots, they don't care, we can do a better job running this place" (Right, just like what our ex-CEO Foster did)

Do you know, when i fly with an expat FO, he's earning more than i am. I would leave and move to greener pastures but i haven't. Maybe it's because i DO care.

Royal BRUNEI Airlines ..... The name has the word Brunei on it. The same Brunei that used to pay for YOUR salary and feed YOUR family.
You were here before, you flew for us, you left and i wish you all the best for you and your family.
So why are you still posting negative threads again on RBA and especially about Brunei-Malays? Because you're grateful? Because YOU care?
Riiiight.

You've obviously left for greener pastures so why not just move on and get on with it. Let the people who are still working for RBA, both expat and local, try their best to work together to get us out of this rut.
If you have a positive comment, it's more than welcome. Negative ones just bring the place down.

NDBDME
18th Oct 2007, 07:25
Well said could not agree more:D:D

Ndicho Moja
18th Oct 2007, 08:58
Bollocking accepted. Time for me to move along.

If I have offended you or any one else who reads these postings then I apologise. That was not my intension.

I would like to say though that most of what is said here and else where about RBA is said out of frustration, a strong sense of caring and the desire for a small airline that has all the potential in the world given the right guidance and to succeed. People care. They want the airline to prosper, make profits and provide secure employment.

bbj3
18th Oct 2007, 11:12
Having read this post with interest.

Can anyone supply the base fig's of a starting capt, housing,schooling,bonus, annual increments,confirmed leave tickets.
If I have missed it in a previous post-sorry.
Thks in advance :confused:

xrba
19th Oct 2007, 01:30
The Local Guy, many of your points are perfectly valid and I accept any criticism of me that you might have, but because I had many local friends in Brunei when I was there it saddens me to see what could be a good little airline in such strife. You have asked for a more constructive solution, fair enough, but whatever is said will you locals implement it? How many management consultants, advisors, counsellors et al do you need to ask? When I was in Brunei the place was stiff with them in all areas, but the results were usually either ignored if major surgery was required, or happily accepted if nothing too controversial was said. Consultants do know what side their bread is buttered, and are not averse to producing what the client wants to hear. What ever happened to the lengthy, expensive Hay Associates report into RBA then?

Previous local CEOs showed an alarming tendency to concentrate on their own pet projects, [golf course on Crown land, own hotel allegedly with RBA funds etc.] instead of steering the airline, so expats were sought to fix the mess. They had impeccable backgrounds, usually experience of rescuing other problem airlines, and came into the job brimming with ideas, right or wrong, on how to effect the recovery. What happened? They found themselves bogged down in a morass of local intrigue and inertia. After trying for some time to change things and failing, they just accepted the status quo and saw out their contracts as quietly as they could. You now have another new CEO. I hope he can achieve a good result for the locals sake. My constructive solution to the problem, for the little it’s worth, is as follows, but requires a sharp intake of breath.

Brunei has a small population base, for many the only flight they ever undertake is a free Haj, and little to attract mass tourism, [please don't count transit passengers in the tourist total as usually happens!] The competition in the airline industry is intense, none more so than in your area of the Far East. Have you seen the fares recently announced by Air Asia from UK to Australia? Finally, on the horizon, the next generation A350/B787s are supposedly economic flying from UK to OZ non-stop! Sticking ones head in the sand won’t alter these facts.

So what does all this mean? Yes RBA can continue in it’s current size, with soon to be 3 different aircraft types, and it will exist only with vast subsidies to cover it’s losses. Or it can downsize to a realistic level, say 2 or 3 A320s/ B737s [and one type only please] at the very most, on local routes to satisfy the small demand, then it has a chance of actually being viable. You will have at least double the number of local pilots required to crew the airline, with all your own trainers, and massively too many ground staff. Who will decide on the redundancies? Apart from the CEO, and,when the new, slim line RBA is up and running properly, he can go, no expensive bolshie expats need to be used at all. This is of course exactly what the airline was before the 757s arrived, and what a terrific little firm it was, the only difference now is that it would be totally locally run, hopefully to your entire satisfaction! If you need a precedent of a small wealthy country realising that it’s national flag carrier was non-viable, just study what the Swiss did. I am not, however advocating quite such a radical solution as they found, but it has been done before. You seem confident that RBA will still be around in 20 or so years time, I sincerely hope so, but it might just have a better chance in the format I have outlined. Just my 2 cents worth and a bit drastic, but it is intended to be a positive comment.

Best of luck to you.

Nkosi
21st Oct 2007, 04:07
My wife and I lived and worked in Brunei for some four years in the late ‘90’s, met and enjoyed the company of many pleasant people, both local and expatriate. We had a pleasant life style which we enjoyed to the full and were sorry to depart when the time came to go.

My task was to increase the awareness of RBA to the changing international environment that was occurring at the time. Through a lot of hard work by all those who wished to see progress in those areas the European Standards from a Flight Operations and Engineering aspect were reached. It was no easy task but it was enjoyable to see progress bringing positive results and I think that RBA benefited accordingly.

Since that time the situation with regard to the availability of choice and cost for the travelling public have changed, perhaps to the detriment of RBA. By this it is meant that low cost carrier (LCC) philosophies have been adopted within the region by independent, main or off-shoots of the main carriers that operate to similar destinations, but with new, or newer, equipment. Competition is a wonderful thing – weeds out the not so good and promotes the better, to the advantage of all.

So, perhaps the management of such operators within the region has to be smart(er) than ever before, foster good relations within their organisations whilst still trying to make the bottom fiscal line less negative and more positive. To do this, transparent honesty if there is such a thing - in making robust management decisions should be the norm - rather than subterfuge and self serving half decisions.

The purpose of this thread is to suggest, from a distance and after reading the comments made that show more reliance on gripes than by trying to change - or influence change, to alleviate situations which are less than pleasant, by face to face discussions. Perhaps this has been attempted with little effect but rather than let a situation develop the equivalent of CHIRP, to the DCA could be used and may ensure that a particular gripe can be heard by someone other than management of RBA. One never knows, pressure may be brought to bare where it is needed.

Just a thought.

4syllables
21st Oct 2007, 09:35
Nkosi

Although much of what you say has merit, DCA may not be the place to bear pressure???, Generally the line maintainance and line flying is quite good,me thinks pressure needs to bear on management and the board members, to make them accountable for there inept decision making...How can this be done????

The Local Guy

While also what you have written is good and true, and you recongise that the Airline has major problems...Why dont you also help yourselves????Why dont you help effect a change that will benefit you now and also in the long term???

Looking for that CONSTRUCTIVE solution.??

Nkosi
22nd Oct 2007, 01:26
What to do and ‘how can this be done?’. You pose a question which I suspect many people have also, but how about this for a suggestion;

Put together an articulate plan, some may even say a ‘business plan’ that has been prepared by end users – the line pilots. Make the plan as simple as possible but well thought out that puts into perspective the main problem areas with how the authors of the plan would address those problems. The plan should not involve personalities, just the problems and the suggested solutions. If necessary make it an academic exercise

Put that plan to the CEO who, if he had the knowledge of the ground swell of discontent in an articulate manner may, (one hopes) take action, or at least have the capacity to take action.

But it is so easy to pontificate from a distance.

Nkosi
22nd Oct 2007, 23:37
5man

I think the situation in RBA regarding the disharmony between management and line pilots is understood (but from a distance) and what appears to be a futile way of going about trying to correct an imbalance between management and pilots, (or anyone else for that matter). However, without the attempt of correcting that imbalance in a constructive way then there is no chance of any form of a successful outcome, albeit minor.

possumshagger
25th Oct 2007, 09:33
It will be very difficult for anyone to turn your company around, when for years it has been used as a recruitment ground for all and sundry. At my present company when we arrive on the stand at our home base, we get 1 engineer, perhaps 8 cleaners, 1 pax handler and we still manage to get the a/c turned around in an hour. :ok:
In Brunei, for an Airbus? You will probably get 1 or 2 engineers, 5 or 6 mechanics, 10 or 11 cleaners, 2 or 3 pax handlers ( not that they ever seemed to do anything ) and even then you will still be delayed or something not fixed??:=
Go into the accounts office and there is a whole floor or more of bean counters, the amount you would expect to see in a multinational company with billions of dollar turnover, not a little airline with half a dozen aging a/c. Most of these people seem to be sitting sending endless texts to their friends, eating or finding some reason or means not to do the work they were put there to do.:rolleyes:
This is where the problem starts, it wouldn’t be too bad if everything was running like clockwork, which it should with the amount of personnel that you employ, but the reality is, it’s NOT!!! Of course you’re now stuck with all these people that you can’t do anything else with, you will never be able to make any of them redundant? Just have to keep paying them and making sure there is a good strong signal for their mobile phones.:yuk:
Then you have a Flt ops department that has a management in disarray and not knowing what to try next due to their limited ability and not wanting to lose face by admitting they have got things wrong. They just continue to alienate their staff, with negative criticism and inability to develop people that truly want to help the company thrive and progress.
Look at the number of Captains and very experienced First Officers that have left over the last 18 months and the ones that are about to leave and ask yourself why? It’s easy, the company just don’t care whether they go or not, they still think it’s still easy just to recruit some more. The cost doesn’t matter?? The disruption doesn’t matter?? Nothing seems to matter to this management team? :ugh:
The company I work for now, treats us all as valuable assets, nurturing and teaching us to develop our skills and use them in turn to help the company grow and prosper. And guess what? It’s working, and where will we be getting more of our staff?? :ok:
Good luck RBA.

heresy
26th Oct 2007, 07:46
I also agree Possum. Sooner they stop being a recruitment agency and get rid of all this dead wood who should never be employed in anything related to aviation the sooner the company will start turning a true profit.

They are just about to lose another few First officers on top of the ones who have already resigned, its time they started at looking at this problem before it gets any worse. How can it be cheaper in the long term to bring in direct entry Captains than invest in First officers who have proved themselves in the system and want to stay?

Ping Pong
28th Oct 2007, 04:12
The R N - Have to say it looks good on paper. A closer look however, soon brings new points of view.
Oh, now that brings you into the spotlight, the first symptom of not being a Clone.
Now nobody works harder than CD, and most will say he is a good trainer. However, thats where he should stay.
His tunnel vision and poor hearing in the advice section did cause the BA 777 trainers to remind him that it was they, not him, who had more experience on the 777.
The little training empire that is being built with young and inexperienced pilots, some emotionally immature, should be halted by Ray before it ends in ------

daninLTN
28th Oct 2007, 09:18
Hi there,
Just spotted something this morning -

10:10 BI098 BANDAR GATE OPEN Terminal Three

And was just wondering, are the 772s here or have they just stopped selling tickets on the DXB stop?

flappy wings
28th Oct 2007, 21:33
I would have to agree totally with the Ping Pongs summary of the CD training system. It is a massively outdated repetitive training method. The measure of success of a training system is gauged by the successful progression of candidates through the system, not by massive amounts of paperwork. Success is a pilot’s ability to handle a wide range of situations in day-to-day operations and show sound situational awareness, not have a training record in CD’s office full of forms with lots of ticked boxes. Local FO’s are currently leaving to take up positions with other airlines because they are deemed not suitable for command upgrade, these are locals that have 7-8 years as FO’s and have been raised under the CD training system. That coupled with the way some incidents have been handled over the last few years defines the failure of the system.
Pilots have limited ability to change the overall business model of an airline; they do however have the right to expect fair and an equitable career progression. The CEO may be cautious to listen to the gripes of pilots, however when the freight apron is full of parked aircraft because all the expats have left as they didn’t want to be CD clones, and the locals are deemed unsuitable for upgrade, someone might ask some searching questions. As said before, Ray remove the man from management and let him train only.

heresy
29th Oct 2007, 05:06
I agree totally with Flappy Wings, CD should perhaps just be in a training role without the amount of power that he wields over everyone. At the moment there are some very experienced F/O’s that have been treated in an appalling manner by the training dept and left with no other option than to leave. I personally have worked for other much larger airlines and have never come across a training regime like this one in RBA, especially when you hear that some newly promoted Capt’s have been advised not to trust F/O’s ( as they are out to kill everyone ) by certain Junior Training Capts. Where do they get these guys???:*
What is really annoying is the number of excellent training Capt's who are keen to improve the system and learn from others, only to be slapped down by this megalomaniac and his ego.:ugh:

Tucker Man
31st Oct 2007, 06:53
NKosi, valid points made from far. Were you there with the lack of transparent honesty of 3 or 4 years ago, and its worse now. Can only comment from ops side but we get our share of eng woes as well.
The High Court case against 3 members of the flt ops management is still on the go.
A while ago some of the paperwork was doing the rounds and it made my skin crawl. The managers involved should have been busted or at the least demoted.
Years back told we had a top draw CAA guy who would have been like CHIRP and been able to expose the subterfuge of the then DFO
The case is going to expose the remaining managers for what they are and bring to public attention how not to manage staff
Ill put my money on at least the Oz press turning up. Bring it on

Nkosi
31st Oct 2007, 23:01
Tucker Man

I arrived in '97 and left in '02, so you may be able to work out who I am!

Situations change, but honesty and transparency should be evident to all, for most situations - given that there are always commercial in confidence periods. But I advocate that in most cases it is pointless wringing hands and beating breasts, but just to try to sort the problem(s) as they appear, from the lowest to the highest, using the maxims described.

I'll get off my wobbly soap box now.

Cheers

Nkosi

Tucker Man
3rd Nov 2007, 11:00
Nkosi, Nothing wobbly bout your soap box. Pity you left so soon.

b777900
4th Nov 2007, 04:16
Thats a big back peddle from some after an anonymous poster CLAIMED to be a local guy.
Would everyone apologise if it was posted by other avid supporters of rba management. I suspect they would have got a blasting.
The locals know there place in rba so will never stand up to management. Never have, never will. A very few did leave to earn better money than the expats that remained in rba.

I hear rumors continue of pay rises and increases in some allowances.
Ha Ha, heard it all before. Fact is by the time they do increase them the amount they are increase will not cover the losses you have all suffered since they were cut 5 odd years ago. Rba has not increased salaries or allowances in 15 or so years. Will the increase (if true) make up for the last 15 years AND the cuts made by the former greedy and inept ceo, Peter f@stor.

Remember he cut the cabin crews allowances. These cabin crew were earning say $800 to $2000 Bnd a month. F@ster was earning $40,000 a month not including his rumoured large bonus if he cut costs. f@stor was earning as much in two weeks as the junior cabin crew were making in a year. That didnt stop him seeking his big bonus. He was unable to increase renenues so he cut staff pay, increments, allowances.

I Hear things are not too good there at the moment. Huge discontent.
A few I know have applied to the company im with. Not the best here but better than rba.

Dont wait for empty promises. Many of those rumors were been spread around back when I was there. The are just empty rumors.

4PW's
4th Nov 2007, 10:56
Just back from Dubai, where I saw one of the boys from RBA, also on a layover. G'day M(ate). Hope things work out for youse fellas back there in the Abode of Peace, for it was indeed such a place when I first turned up. I have many good memories of my time in Brunei, though, to be fair, the last few years of my tenure were not that great. Nothing to do with the people. More to do with what I was trying to achieve, and couldn't. It was only when speaking to me mate that I realised how many great people the airline has working for it, still. I tend to forget names at the best of times and, having moved on, the names of those I left behind in RBA have largely slipped my mind these last few years. Wasn't until jaw-boning with 'so and so' yesterday that I realised there are some very sound characters still there. Got a lot to say about that, really. Having come in from a great session of kiting this arvo, I am positively brimming with good will and hope to sprinkle some kind words for you all. Hang in there fellas. It'll all work out in the end.

Back2Back
6th Nov 2007, 00:59
Local guy express a point of view about the managers, seldom and never in detail.
Whoever you are no matter as you said you care and despite all the hype most of the expats care as well.
But hey guys stand up to the bully boy SN. we aint going to get any progress till this guy gets dumped.
Where do the local management stand. Every day you can see the conflict that this guy starts. When are you going to be heard, dont just leave it up to the expats like me to try and make a positive change.

b777900
6th Nov 2007, 05:08
The local guy made some valid points. He said he really did care about the airlines success or past failures.
His post was very well written. So im sure he has been in to flight ops and talked to the dfo and ceo about his concerns. He has also stood up to the bullies in management and effected a change.

Rba is in more trouble than it realises. Its pay and conditions are some 20 years out of date. Partly due to cuts made by f@ster and also the lack of increases in many years
It has placed certain staff in management postions that are causing irreversible damage. Even if they greatly increased the pay, allowances and conditions, there is still the problem with middle management. CD and SN on the airbus and the other SN on the boeing. I have heard many say these bully individuals are driving pilots away. Some can simply no longer work with these individuals. They cannot be sacked, repositioned or controlled. This is ongoing. The difference now is there are better jobs available. EK are doing road shows. Apparently Aus in short of pilots. There are places to go. i hope the pay increases in Aus. Even at the moment you can earn more in Aus after tax than you can in bwn. EK are looking for pilots although the exchange rate here is getting worse by the week too.

Will more empty promises of pay rises be enough to keep pilots there now more jobs are avaialble world wide.

daninLTN
6th Nov 2007, 15:02
Darwin is definately gone from Jan 08,

see the press release
http://www.bruneiair.com/news/item.asp?id=843&PagePosition=1

What is going on with the 777s, last I heard only the -ER's are ready and sitting in Singapore/Fort Worth... are they still getting the 772A's?
Ive also been hearing rumours they are about to order two 777-200LRs ?!? Would be nice, but I dont think they have the money nor the need for that much range!!
Ah well, at least the 763s will be in the fleet for a little longer ... They are only 1992/3/4 builds aren't they? There are 40+ year old DC9s still flying so !!! ...
Wonder where/when this leased 320/763 is coming from?

Interesting times ahead

heresy
7th Nov 2007, 13:13
Recently an Airbus crew on the way to SGN were asked to pay for their hotel rooms on their own credit cards as RBA has not payed the hotel for sometime. If its getting that bad is anyone going to lease them any more aircraft when they don't even pay their hotel bills on time? and where are they going to get the airbus crews from.
Just read an article in the prestegious paper the "Borneo Bullsheet" congratulating the airline for being run so well by the locals, just like everything else in Brunei, perhaps its time we left them to it?:{

THRidle
8th Nov 2007, 01:21
It's not just SGN.

I understand the company that arranges the hotels for RBA in Aus. is continually complaining of non-payment of accounts. :ugh:

Ping Pong
11th Nov 2007, 22:56
Dont you just love the way news leaks out, Mondays paper enlightens us that the next days KL and then SYD canncelled "due to unavoible circumstaces"
How can this be so indefinable. On behalf of the publics interest, how about making a few phone calls, even read Pprune.

777 blunders, millions of $ lost, wasted. A deal rushed through before a new CEO arrived.

Unavoible cicumstances, I think not.

Bob Hawke
12th Nov 2007, 13:34
Can someone turn the lights off and put the cats out before they leave.:}

Raster Scanning
14th Nov 2007, 09:01
Not just problems in Flight Ops, Engineering is in turmoil.
The news all the ex RBA engineers were waiting for was announced by Ray Sayer on November 8th.
Namely, the summary dismissal of the EVP Aircraft Operations :):D. This inept and incompetent person did more to harm engineering that any other. He was suspended 3 years ago amid claims of shady dealing. He was re enstated for no good reason ;) and along with the recently replaced ex CEO caused mayhem and chaos prompting many of the senior engineering management (expat and local) to leave. I hope all his lap dogs are quaking in their boots (you know who you are), the number is surely up for them too.
This could mean the start of something good for Engineering, I hope it is not too late!

What Goes Round
14th Nov 2007, 22:15
Yes R Scanning, Rays broom is starting to sweep at last. Shame he might not get all of the dirt before they leave.
Invitations have been sent to Castor Kaborn, Serpant N--n, and the Smiling Asssassin.
All will be held accountable for harassment and intimidation.

Back2Back
19th Nov 2007, 09:45
Blacksheep

Latest is to dump the duds and turn to Boeing direct, any clues?

heresy
21st Nov 2007, 00:21
This would be good news for all if they have decided to dump the con merchants, but with all the past problems with giving the money, are Boeing or Airbus going to step up and help out.:confused:

Lets face it, they are tighter with money than a Scotsman with deep pockets?:mad:

Pembenarkan
23rd Nov 2007, 08:13
Balance Sheet: Kosong.
Debts: Huge

Abandoned by the Shareholder eight years ago.
Hotels refusing company credit
Major suppliers witholding supplies

Q. Which of the many suppliers will finally put RBA into receivership? Honeywell perhaps?

another real local
24th Nov 2007, 14:42
:ok:Right on TRLG! :D

it's the management people thats immature, full of excuses and s****.

expat winging too much, if they don't like it, F****** leave the country. they know the deal in RBA and still winging, just can't believe it.

We Locals have real issues, its been years and nothing been done, may be after all locals gone and what remain of it just those two a******* brothers and their gutless boss. Then only they will say, we have to do something about it and of course only them will benefit from the changes!

Nkosi
24th Nov 2007, 22:42
Guys,

Whilst it is probably good to get the frustrations that you have with the airline, management and personalities out in the open it does not really help your cause.

Perhaps those who have either deep seated complaints about specifics or who feel that they could put order out of chaos should talk, or write, to either the CEO, the DCA, or if they have the political clout a member of the board.

But don’t just complain because it makes you feel better, be constructive and put forward a well structured case - with alternatives.

Nkosi

xrba
24th Nov 2007, 23:46
I never fail but to be staggered by the naivety of some of my fellow pilots. Why do you local guys think you are [for no justifiable reason] given poorer pay, promotion and conditions than expats by the management in RBA? Because you let them get away with it!! Expat pilots are hard enough to find for the little RBA offers them, unless they are very inexperienced, or have some other obscure reason for staying, but I doubt if any would remain on your local rates. Apart from the fact that equality would make for a happier working environment, your pay scales etc are of little importance to them, and certainly rate far lower on their grand scheme of things than, say, school allowances, roster patterns et al.

Bruneians are not combative souls by nature, unfortunately this means that it is not difficult to take advantage of your generally pleasant demeanour, and there are those that do.

Around the world you will find that the only thing that really focusses the managements’ mind on pilots’ problems is aircraft on the ground for lack of crews. When that happens things might be redressed, and there are enough of you local pilots now to make a difference. Any other form of action would not be appropriate in Brunei. Just because you leave your country for another better job doesn’t mean that you can never return does it? Just ask any expat, or those of your colleagues that have bitten the bullet! Until then it’s the red hot poker for you I’m afraid. It’s up to you to do something about it, no-one else is interested.

RBA is not a local internal Bruneian enterprise where things can be hidden under the carpet, the current scenario is being played out on the world stage from LHR to AKL. Unfortunately the 777 fiasco and the other problems are showing RBA in a very bad light, I just hope that you can resolve it soon for your sakes.

Metro man
25th Nov 2007, 02:43
Expat pilots deserve better packages than local ones to make up for the inconvenience of being away from home and the fact that the job is likely to be fixed term. Also job security for an expat is less and promotion prospects often depend on no local being qualified for the position.

Isn't the cadet pilot scheme for locals only, and aren't there some benefits in education and housing for locals ?

With the present pilot shortage now is a good time to push for improved conditions for everyone. Failing that try your luck abroad. If flying in India for example, what sort of package would you want to make up for being away from home ?

BANANASBANANAS
25th Nov 2007, 23:53
Real Local Guy,

Apologies for intruding on your thread but please let me put you right on one matter. You said to Metro Man:

What planet r u from? do expats in SQ,Emirates,Etihad and Cathay get paid more than their locals? i can tell you they don't. So dont say you deserve more than locals. Equal yes, More no.

It is industry standard that the basic rate for the job is the same, BUT that in addition, expats get paid either a housing allowance to cover the cost of renting, or they have accommodation provided for them. Similarly, additional "salary" is paid in the form of child education allowance, subsidised health insurance, exchange rate protection payments etc etc etc etc etc. Several of your fellow countrymen are benefitting from that very system here in Singapore and also in UAE.:ok::ok::ok:

In terms of basic "rate for the job" you have a point but if you wish to attract expats (and we both know that RBA can't survive without them) then you have to make the overall expat package competitive with other carriers expat packages. That is attempted in RBA (or was when I was there) by paying an expat allowance as compensation for being away from ones own country and to compensate for some of the bu$$eration factors associated with being an expat.

We both also know that local salaries within RBA will never be more than those of the corresponding job grades within the Brunei government - yet another reason for the expat allowance. That is not an easy situation for locals to resolve but resolve it you must or you will continue to be a stepping stone to other carriers for low houred expats and you will continue to lose locals to the likes of SQ, Etihad, EK etc etc - whose expat packages are far more attractive than those currently on offer by RBA. :ok::ok::ok:

MOREENGINES
26th Nov 2007, 04:04
The company is really in chaos.

TRLG- Are you still living with your parents? I wonder why the other SENSIBLE locals are living in their own houses. OH... I see you have just bought yourself a nice sports car instead.

KK- Are you going to wait until all the good SFO's leave so that you can get the benefits? I have a suggestion. Why don't all of the local management resign to show solidarity to our fellow pilots. :D

SlimJim47
26th Nov 2007, 06:34
TRLG

Quote- How can RBA justify a local pilot getting less pay than an expat pilot?
The same way it justifies its expats getting less than most other airlines for flying wide bodied jets. Because there are pilots willing to work for them on cr@p pay and conditions. Locals have never stood up to management so will never get any more. Those that realized this left to become expats themselves on higher pay. As rba management have always said, if you don’t like it f$%k off. But remember when you do, you will be just another foreigner working in another country. Don’t expect any special treatment for being Bruneian.

TRLG
Quote -WHy are the benchmark for a local to get command higher than expat?
They are not. Expat used to require 5000 hours, locals 4000 hours. Has that changed?

ARL
Quote - expat winging too much, if they don't like it, F****** leave the country. They know the deal in RBA and still winging, just can't believe it.
Strange, you agree with TRLGs whingeing. Stop winging yourself. You too have the option, if YOU don't like it, F****** leave the country.
But don’t expect any special treatment once you leave your parents home and go to a foreign country. You will just be another expat number.

Housing Allowance.
You dont get housing allowance because you live at home. Expats dont get housing allowance if they live in their own country. Expats do not see any of the housing allowance. It goes directly to the landlord and that corrupt so and so Has@@@@@@an.
Besides all Bruneians get GIVEN a plot of land or a house. Just put your name down. It may take a few years, but you be GIVEN one.
If you want a housing allowance move to the middle east.

Metro Man and Bananas are correct. Expats are paid more because they have to pay more to attract them.
What expat would move away from home, to have to put up with the BS of living in countries such as Brunei or the UAE? Brunei has little to offer except a tax free salary and that’s falling so far behind it’s not worth it for expats any more. Their basic infrastructure is way behind many countries the expats come from. Entertainment, internet, roads, bars, schooling, shops. H@ll you couldn’t even buy fresh meat or milk most the time there.
Also Bananas is correct, you are paid based on the level grade of a government worker (clerk or middle manager, Im not sure). Brunei’s govt workers are very well paid for the region considering the ACTUAL 3-5 hours they work a day. Just go down to the post office. Doors locked during opening hours, workers inside chatting and having makan.
You are paid for the same hours work as them. No more.
So RBA tries to make up for their very low salary with allowances. But be careful, these allowances can be stopped or reduced as they have in the past. The salaries and allowances were 15 years out of date when I left. They must be 20 years out of date now.

Have any locals written to management to voice their concerns. I believe the expats have. Don’t expect the expats to fight your battles.
Not saying it will do any good. That’s why so many expats are looking to leave.
They’ll be replaced with rishworth pilots with no jet time and all will continue, hopefully safely.

MOREENGINES
26th Nov 2007, 07:14
Hey guys... be gentle... these locals are not as rough as you are. You will make them cry soon :*.

To both the local guys- Have you ever spoken to management about this? seriously. I don't think so. I don't think there is anything you and anybody can do until you speak or tell anyone except one man. And you know who.

You whining against the expats doesn't help at all. Yes, there are some management and expat trainers who are not supposed to be in their present position. But, where were you guys when those jobs were advertised? Melayu, melayu..... cakap tak serupa bikin lah... You always want other people want to change things as long as its not you....:ugh:

MOREENGINES
26th Nov 2007, 08:47
Slimjim47,

Obviously you have never been to the post office in Brunei. Ever.

TRLG,

What you do with your money its up to you. Its not true. Not all the locals who own houses are captains. Some FO's too. Please check again :8. It all depends on your priority.
BTW a fresh rishworth FO earns approx 8300 [expat + Supplementary allowance and excluding flying allowance] (I don't know how much Mr. Rishworth takes from them). They do not earn 5K though. After a year Mr. Rishworth will stop taking part of their salary. You can add another 25% of the whole salary. Which makes it approx 10K every month.This excludes flying allowance and the 25% of the recent increase in supplementary allowance. The hosing allowance is $1800 which they don't get into their pocket. That goes into the landlord's pocket. The flying allowance is approximately... let say $2000. Thats 12K a month.
An emirates FO takes home approximately 13K a month. Etihad... maybe approximately the same. SQ Cargo is almost the same if you include everything (after tax).

Then if they are good enough to CD, they will be promoted to the left seat and takes home about 15K (starting) a month. No tax, free housing, cheap cars, cheap DVDs and a good life if you are a mate of BG. (The brits don't like it here anymore).

You TRLG- If you are a junior FO earns $3000 + aprox 1500 to $2000 flying allowance. With 200hrs + 800hrs experience. Not bad. If you work until 60 you would get approximately $1,000,000 (gratuity + TAP) waiting for you in the bank (forget about inflation). A subsidised housing loan, car loan, see your family all the time, etc etc. If you are an outstanding Pilot you will get your command in no time. What? Your lawyers friend. Don't be naive. You will laugh in two year's time. Trust me.

The reason the senior FOs left were mainly because they were not given command. The company thinks (CD) they are not ready. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong. They will never tell you how they really performed in their SIMs.

YES! The LOCAL salary has to be reviewed. It is not competitive enough in the real world. It has to be the same as the expats (which for now is not bad at all... considering everything). Why do you think these expats FO did not apply to to SQ, Etihad or Emirates?

If you really want to fight for a payrise. Hmmmmm... Good luck. The locals before you did the same thing in their own ways. It worked and the expats benefited from it as well. Go fight for the same salary. No bull**** supplementary allowances, expat allowances, etc etc. Just like any other company in the world. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED YOU LOCALS SHOULD GET MORE THAN ANY EXPATS BECAUSE IT IS YOUR ABODE OF PEACE AFTER ALL.

Metro man
26th Nov 2007, 10:30
Becoming an expat involved considerable expense in uprooting my family and setting up home thousands of miles away. I am living in someone elses country as a foreigner where I do not have the same privilages as the locals, I have to fit in and obey new laws and adjust to a new lifestyle.

Now why would I subject myself to all this inconvenience just to be able to save the same $$$ as I can at home ? I am overseas for a nett benefit to myself compared to what I would have if I stayed home. ie Better aircraft, quicker promotion, more money.

At the moment there are plenty of opportunities around for pilots, why not take advantage of them to improve your position. Your salaries seem very low considering the present job market, I doubled my take home pay by going overseas, you could do the same.

Static in the Attic
26th Nov 2007, 22:36
MM. Why the *ell should the local pilots have to move away when their own country's flag is 'overstaffed' with expats (who do indeed seem to do 'quite well' out of it.)You presumably moved from Oz where the future - as far as you could see was ..... Metros. But your skills / the work you do is the same as the locals; so why on earth should you be renumerated to a higher level? As for the guff / hardship about fitting in - remember it was your decision to come here, nobody asked / made you. You wanted to improve yourself & it goes with the territory. The locals shouldn't have to move away, there are opportunities at home - there wasn't for yourself.

BANANASBANANAS
26th Nov 2007, 23:27
Think about it Static,

From RBA's point of view it is obviously much cheaper to employ a local than an expat.

Q. So why employ expats?

A. Because RBA needs them.

Q. Will an expat come to work in Brunei on a local salary?

A. No.

I do agree that the basic rate for the job should be the same for local and expat but your grievance about the low basic rate for locals should be taken up with the Brunei government - not RBA. I understand how difficult and futile that exercise can be - so did the locals that left.

If RBA paid a decent basic rate for the job (gratuitable) to both expat and locals there would be no need for the expat supplementary allowance as it would be incorporated into the enhanced basic salary and everybody would win. Is that likely to happen???

Metro man
27th Nov 2007, 06:00
If airlines could employ only locals they would, less expense and fewer adjustments to make vs employing expats. Fact is there are not enough suitably qualified locals to fill the need therefore employing expats is necessary or the aircraft sit on the ground.

As a pilot I am a highly skilled professional whose skills are in demand worldwide at the moment. Airlines are competing for pilots with the skills and experience they require and therefore have to offer attractive packages.

I would not object to being paid less than a local as long it was worth my while to work for a company. ie Salary, housing, school fees, allowances, local cost of living, saving potential etc are still in my favour.

If the location is unsafe/unattractive I want more $$$, nice place with good career prospects less $$$ will do.

At the moment job prospects in Australia are very good however taxes are very high so I choose to live abroad for better saving potential and faster advancement

I am not an unskilled labourer from the Indian sub continent and can afford to be selective in who I work for. If Royal Brunei don't pay enough their pilots will move elsewhere simple as that.

My present employer refuses to give pay rises and has been hit with a wave of resignations, flight cancellations are a possibility early next year. Then the message will get through.

boocs
27th Nov 2007, 07:00
Same with my employer (not RBA).

b.

fjordviking
27th Nov 2007, 07:52
Going to the middle east because you`re pi**ed off at the way you`re treated as a local in Brunei has an very ironic twist to it. Soon you will discover as an expat in the gulf that the local workforce is on another deal than you, read better deal than you, and you will still be ending up with the short end of the stick.If you choose to leave Brunei for UAE, please go with your eyes wide open and not eyes wide shut.
Just a little advice from an ex. expat in UAE.:sad:

The Local Xpat
27th Nov 2007, 18:01
Having watched this thread with great interest, i've decided it's time to join you happy bunnies!:)

fjordviking: Good advice :ok:

BANANASBANANAS: TRLG is demanding equal pay and benefits for RBA's local pilots and not a reduction in any expatriates pay. It's not a divine right for any expatriate to get paid more than his local counterpart in any country. Just put yourself in his shoes for a minute.

Metro Man: So because we're expatriates, we deserve more than the local pilots? Remember, the bruneians have families too and not all of them have houses. Because of the bureaucratic red-tape, it takes years before they actually succeed in getting their application approved. So where can the locals stay?

MOREENGINES: You seem to be fluent in Bahasa Malay. Are you a frustrated local SFO in disguise? :hmm:

SlimJim747: Too right! The post office is crap. I enjoy living in Brunei except for the bit when i have to post my letters. It's not as efficient as i would've liked it to be. But comparing the locals to clerks in the Brunei government. A bit harsh,no.

Nkosi: It may not help their cause but i'm sure it feels bloody good to let it out. Everyone rants at Pprunes. How can they not? The whole idea is to rant and get it out of our system. Especially with a thread called ' Royal Brunei Airlines in Chaos'.:p

ARL: The correct term used is whinging. Something airline pilots love to do. I believe it distracts us from the stress of commercial flying. The best place to whinge is here at Pprunes. Lovely place. ;)

TRLG: I feel for your plight but i doubt you'll get any sympathy from your local management. Let's hope the new CEO can sort out a better package for you guys. If it doesn't work out, there are other airlines out there who'll pay you for what you think you're worth. Good luck!

xrba: Yes, i agree. Equality does make for a happier working environment but as you and i know, it's not an ideal world and RBA is not the ideal airline. But which airline is?
We all just have to make the most of it while we still can.

BANANASBANANAS
27th Nov 2007, 18:23
Local Expat

BANANASBANANAS: TRLG is demanding equal pay and benefits for RBA's local pilots and not a reduction in any expatriates pay. It's not a divine right for any expatriate to get paid more than his local counterpart in any country. Just put yourself in his shoes for a minute.

You misunderstand me.

What I was putting forward was that supplemental allowance (non gratuitable) be scrapped but that basic salary (gratuitable) be increased by the same amount and that local and expat have that same basic salary.

Then, expats get housing etc in line with industry standard/best practice.

Makes me realise why I left. Apologies for intruding on your thread.:ok:

Static in the Attic
28th Nov 2007, 07:56
Careful Rev,
"We use the RBA sim" ...... er not for much longer with posts like this!
Doh............!

Ali Baba
30th Nov 2007, 18:11
Guys keep up the fight till you all treated the same,local and expart. this is aviation. follow the SOP. and you will all win. GOOD LUCK WITH

possumshagger
1st Dec 2007, 06:37
Well I would like to say the writing has been on the wall for a long time, but unfortunately the inapt managers at flight ops for RBA has been unable to read. :ugh: The only person to benefit and make his position more secure, is the megalomaniac in charge of training. Now with this great exodus of SFO’s on the Airbus fleet, he is justifying his existence by having to train more to take their place?
But wait!! There are no more coming?? Why? :{
Because it’s now getting round just how poor the conditions are in RBA and how people are being trampled and bullied in this organisation. Plus the worldwide shortage of pilots, especially in the Asian regions, means, recruitment for Airlines that treat their staff badly makes it that bit more difficult to get experienced pilots.
So what are they doing now? Well it’s easy, lets train Captains to fly in the right hand seat, great idea,:cool: but how long is that going to last?
Until they start getting p****** off by being called out for every flight. Are they going to be paid more money for this extra work? Of course not, there’s no money left and they are doing out of their sense of duty and loyalty to the company! Right!!!
You have lost some excellent Captains recently who would have been only too happy to stay and help with this mess, but the arrogance displayed by your management and lack of development offered has driven them out. It’s the same with some of your SFO’s that are looking for further progression and ready for command, they are being driven away. :D
This is great for the company that I work for, that is expanding and happy to develop them into a useful company asset over the long term.
Keep up the good work RBA!! :ok:
All the other expanding and developing companies are making great use of your discarded resources.

Ping Pong
4th Dec 2007, 00:40
Conditions and Lifestyle need to be addressed.

The diabolical fatigue we suffered (prior to the demise of the FRA route) has given us more time to reflect on the future, and as exrba pointed out it is being played out before a world wide audience, and we welcome all points of view.

The exodus of talent and expertise to other airlines was not made just for financial reasons, miserable flight dept management has driven so many away.

The usual pool of talent, so normal in successful airlines, is almost empty.
As Possum says the megalomaniac in training has reinforced his position as he can appoint young immature and inexperienced pilots to serve under him without fear of being questioned.

Ray the 777 fiasco may be the least of your troubles.

possumshagger
9th Dec 2007, 07:04
This might just be a rumour, but think your CEO prefers to fly other carriers rather than RBA?? According to crews, he recently flew to London with someone else, perhaps he has just realised how bad and unreliable the service is, or maybe he had to be on time for his next job interview:E

Back2Back
11th Dec 2007, 00:55
When the 777 arrives, reconvertion may not be as to the date of joining list cos the 767 Fleet Manager wants an input due to 'pilots not acting in the best Co interests'

possumshagger
11th Dec 2007, 09:32
The reason most of the pilots are not acting in the best interest of the company, is because the company has no interest in the pilots, how stupid can this management get!!! Wake up and smell the bull****, its over flowing around the little house on the hill.:hmm:

SlimJim47
11th Dec 2007, 17:48
The CEO probably flew other carriers because he knows how tired and p!$$ed off the crews are from such poor crew scheduling and inept flight ops management.
It never fails to amaze. Heard the new schedule is operating akl bne bwn by the same crew again. They did this before, with MANY flights going in to COMMANDERS discretion.
Just like an unprofessional, cash strapped, general aviation type airline, rba manipulated the figures to make it appear legal. How many flights will it take to go into discretion again before it is changed. It took 6 months to change it last time. Their excuse will be the flight is scheduled on the b777. Yet the b767 will be operating the flight. We know the current svp will not step up and say anything. So if the present ceo is serious about safety he should ask for a copy of every discretion report from the airline to be immediately sent to him. When he gets 3 from the same route, take it to scheduling and ask why they are illegally rostering his crews into discretion.
Rba had better be careful letting that inept bully 767 mismanager decide who transfers onto the 777. Many pilots have already sought legal advice on the matter and the consensus is the bond is not valid. Particularly if you are still not flying the 777. Rba continued to send many of its crews on the 777 course as they had already paid for the course, yet they knew they would not be required as they are only getting 2 of the 4 planned 777 aircraft. This effectively bonds its pilots for 3 years to continue flying the 767.
Rba should seriously consider the future of the said 767 manager if it wants crews to stay with rba. This little megalomaniac is seriously causing discourse between management and pilots and the pilots are getting very tiresome of it.
What was the outcome of his people management course??

possumshagger
13th Dec 2007, 12:09
Come on slimjim!!! Dont credit any these idiots with doing a management course, you know as well as I do, the only management training is done in house? That why these guys are as bad as the other megalomanic that pretends to be a proffessional Training manager.
The CEO should bring a proper management team to sort out this mess and perhaps teach these guys how to be proffessional managers, before many other experienced and pissed off guys leave.

heresy
14th Dec 2007, 06:32
Got to agree with you guys, its a real mess.
It's a real embarrassment for the guys who really take pride in their work only to held back by incompetence. If they got rid of half the people they employ, who really don't want to be there anyway, just no one else will give them a job. Then get rid of the ones that sit at their desks playing computer games, texting their friends or eating, rather than doing what they are paid to do ( YES WORK ) :\
Now get rid of the thieving, deceitful and dishonest ones ( and we all know who they are!!! :suspect:) who are ripping everyone off whenever they can.
Fed up with the number of times I have to visit the office just to get something simple completed, like a petty cash form, visa renewal, book a flight ( now that is stressful ) and try catching the cashier who's never around?:*
Get rid of these people and put in others who really want to do the job and make a difference, before its too late.

Ping Pong
16th Dec 2007, 23:29
Anybody got mates in CASA/DCA that we can tip off over the AKL rostering. Or anything else.

Maybe the time has come to form a pilots council or commune. It would only take about 10 guys to stick together and back each other up.

Am I dreaming, Ho Ho Ho Christmas is coming, well it might be it was cancelled last year. The best we could do was huddle together.

There has to be something better than just walking away.

Ping Pong
23rd Dec 2007, 04:24
Ah I mean Coffee Mornings of course, been put right there.

Shall we start at No 5 370 to discuss the equitable distribution of AKL's when our party hoast returns to the flying fold.

Back2Back
24th Dec 2007, 04:39
777 Rip Off almost dead.

Better deal for 777 through Boeing some time 2008. NM sorting out training course contents.

Tucker Man
27th Dec 2007, 06:30
Have a read of Who Will Command The AI 777's on the same Far East page.

Might not be your cup of Darjeeling tea, so keep an eye on the slots that are left behind by those that fill um.

possumshagger
29th Dec 2007, 00:36
They were all so smug when the cup was over flowing, but now that the well runs dry it's not quite the case??

Perhaps if they had treated the guys better some might have shown them a little loyalty, but just watch the exodus:D

Shaman
31st Dec 2007, 04:07
<<.......but RBA still attracts very experienced pilots, in the last year alone 6 easyjet capts onto the Airbus, one a trainer. One x CP(BA outfit) and CTC trainer and one trainer from a loco Sin outfit......>>

"One x CP (BA outfit)!

Who's that then?

Shaman
31st Dec 2007, 05:09
Thanks very much for a quick response.

oose
6th Jan 2008, 03:30
Heard that the 777 has been frozen and may never come now...what a great show of competent management!
How long will the type rated guys hang around now?
Must be a concern for the company, there are plenty of good jobs out there that pay well and have better conditions, good luck

4syllables
6th Jan 2008, 03:39
RS, KK, CD, SN, NM, Why cant you tell us what the F..k is going on????
be ready for pilots to leave,,,be very ready!!!!

boocs
6th Jan 2008, 04:05
Haven't pilots been leaving Brunei for the last 10 years?? Sounds like it's a real shame (again) that an airline with so much potential, and in fact was once seen as one of the few "Glory" jobs, is being run into the ground by poor management.

b.
(And yes I did once work for RBA)

Big Ben
6th Jan 2008, 12:55
Its Official, RBA Management have f......d their staff once again.
The promised 80% of school fees reimbursement from the 1st Jan 2008 has been squashed. "No money la may be next year "
Just ask the CEO if you don't believe me.
Watch out for those carrots, RBA plant them every second !!!!!!!!!

Orangputi
7th Jan 2008, 03:55
Hi Big Ben,

That is bad news. I know guys that have been hanging on for just this one peice of positive action from the company. It is clear they dont wont expats so time to go and be a proper expat elsewhere.:ugh::=

I think it is the last nail in the coffin for a lot of people.

Time to get your head out of the sand people and move on unfortunately. :=

orangputisatu
9th Jan 2008, 03:25
It appears all the talk from the new ceo was just that. A bit of carrot waving about how he realizes there are serious issues with the staff pay, conditions and morale.

Just a lot of hot air out of an individual earning $40,000 a month.

If there is no money to increase salaries, flight allowances, and education allowances now, that have not seen any increase in over 20 years, then it’s safe to say there never will be. Rba will never make a profit if it is unable to get rid of the deadwood, many middle managers, incompetent management and corruption. So there will never be enough money available to increase pay.

The b777 introduction is so fluid they have all but gone down the drain. Many millions of dollars wasted. Will the managers involved in this be sacked for incompetence? There must be Swiss bank accounts bulging from this mess up.
CD, NM and a few others have not flown any aircraft since their b777 rating one and a quarter years ago. Meanwhile some line pilots have not been able to take leave for a year as the b767 was understaffed. They must be the most highly paid little office boys in the company’s history.

As usual these people manipulate things to suit themselves at the expense of others. Just like the cutting of annual salary increments (they had reached the threshold allowed), then introducing a new system in which they are not only entitled to annual increments again, but their increments are substantially more than the insulting $100 a month received by the line pilots.

The bond is unenforceable, the b777 are not likely coming. If they do come it is rumored only two airplanes now. So best you use your b777 rating elsewhere. $15,000USD a month is better than $12,000BND a month and the conditions at any of the other airlines requiring pilots could not be any worse than rba’s thanks to rba’s poor management.

Insulting.

boeingfag
9th Jan 2008, 09:19
The B777 ex BA TRE and his posse are leaveing and going back to the last job they had not BA. March end

Back2Back
11th Jan 2008, 04:40
Orangputisatu well said

But be fair on Ray Sayer, how many new CEOs would have landed in such a can of worms.

While the jury is still out fromwhat I hear he has tried hard on the school fees and will have been stonewalled by the Directors.

As a new CEO how do you present the Board a plan to removing incompetent flight operations management, when it involves almost every manager.

How many pilots have left due to the indignity of the Boeing 767 Manager, he alone causing the loss of hundreds of thousands due to re training.

How many pilots have not flown for over a year?

Can of Worms

flappy wings
11th Jan 2008, 04:43
Orangp you are extremely accurate in your summary of RBA. there has been continual promise of improvement in conditions for many years now and still no change. Another CEO will mealy line his pockets for the three year contract and then leave, the only thing to show will be further demise from when he commenced. As for the incompetent Flt Dept,they will as before make their own rules at the expense of the line pilots. Think of all the new forms and manuals CD must have been able to rewrite in 16 months, much to the amusement of other operators and pilots who DO know how to operate the aircraft.
You are 100% right, the bonds are not enforcable, and with pilots in such short supply prospective employers will laugh at an airline that thinks they can bond you to an aircraft they don't have or you have not flown. Time on the 767 is fast becoming about as useful as 707 time. While there are good jobs around take your experience and move on, 76 time NOW will get you into modern glass, you may not be so lucky in two years. If it does it will be in non first world places like Brunei.
No money is forward coming, and it will not be. If it was the Sultan would have not sat back and watched this farce unfold.

diamondstar15
12th Jan 2008, 17:05
Why not do a petition and as a group collectively submit a formal letter suggesting ideas or underline problems about how the Flight Ops organisation is being run to the CEO?

It looks to me there are more than enough unhappy pilots in RBA to actually wake the company up! Every company needs a good spine to run well, and you as pilots are partly/heavily involved in helping the company generate revenue and your thoughts in my opinion ought to be heard.

Everyone can take the easy way out and leave for a better airlines, but if you want to see the company take the right step forward, gather as whole and speak up and be heard!!!!!

As life has taught us, the only constant is change and its time RBA opens up to new ideas, as suggested by His Majesty's titah, if we as human beings do not know that already.

In my opinion there are alot of daft, unreactive to positive change managers in RBA but I reckon their minds can be opened!

So it's about time for a good meeting and brainstorm to help the company get on the right path. If it falls on deaf ear, least you tried!

The Reverend N
14th Jan 2008, 13:24
FTP, so if CD is so bad, who do you propose to replace him with??? Im just curious.

b777900
26th Jan 2008, 23:04
There are rumours rba passengers are being harrassed by brunei customs for exceeding their beer allowance. Passengers are not allowed to take liquids through security now. So many are buying from duty free. However most duty free sell only 375ml cans. the brunei yellow form states the largest size can allowed is 333ml and are harassing them over exceeding the allowable limit.

The rumor goes the passenger was so angry they offered to open a can and pour it down the toilet. this did not satisfy brunei customs as the yellow form clearly states the maximum size allowed is 333ml.

Welcome to brunei, the kingdom of no bars, no entertainment and no duty free allowance.

Is it true?

Silly if it is.

icom
27th Jan 2008, 10:26
Whats that got to do with RBA? all of us have 500ml cans in our fridge's Thats a customs matter nothing to do with RBA!!:cool::cool:

MOREENGINES
29th Jan 2008, 02:20
Happy new year to all in the abode. Its been a while since anyone wrote anything in here. All goes well I hope. Has anybody resigned recently? Just heard the B777 is now totally scraped. But somebody else is still putting some hope that it will arrive by the end of FEB. Well.... you should see the aircraft yourself. Painted in all white with no engines. I seriously doubt it will be ready in a month.

The Local Xpat
29th Jan 2008, 03:00
Flew with a local captain a few days back and during the cruise,our conversation came to the disparity in the pay. We compared our payslips and it was clear that he gets paid less than me. Is that right? I don't know of any airline where a captain gets paid less than the first officer. All the locals i've flown with are great guys and they seem to be getting a bad deal. Again, another reason why the locals are leaving.
I've been waiting for an increase in the education allowance and so far, nada, zilch, nil. This increase would really reduce my expenses here significantly. ISB has new rates this year(B$1500 per term, last year it was $800+)and it's a killer. Still waiting for the company to give us the increased education allowance. Is it any surprise that FO's, local and xpats,are leaving for airlines that give a better renumeration package?
Brunei is a great place to live in and RBA has massive potential but i wish, our management at Flt Ops and the Board of Directors would wake up and get their act together.

Static in the Attic
29th Jan 2008, 14:00
This is getting serious. Now I don’t know much, but I do know that a large number of solid Captain s & F/Os are actively applying for new jobs. And getting interviews. Emirates, Etihad, SQ Cargo, Korean etc all happy to talk. PLEASE, someone communicate, a landslide may be on the cards; not as in victory, but rather great loss. A core part of the airline’s staff may be about to walk; Brunei is a great place, but the pilots need info and solid promises to make informed family & career decisions. And that is not forthcoming – leaving them with little choice. Of course I may have got it all wrong, better all cross our fingers hard.

boocs
29th Jan 2008, 19:58
Call me cynical, but "the pilots need info and solid promises" from an airline?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
(This doesn't apply to just RBA)

b.

cruisin
7th Feb 2008, 13:02
If you dont want anybody to know anything, dont tell them anything.:ok:

10th Feb 2008, 05:53
Rumour has it that 8 RBA capts have interviews next week with sing cargo.

Possibly the exodus begins.

b777900
10th Feb 2008, 09:09
Icom,

I never implied it was rba’s doing.

But even with your rose tinted glasses of rba, you would admit it could impact negatively on rba passengers and therefore, rba may loose some passengers flying with rba and stopping off in brunei.

Passengers may elect to fly on other carriers with stopovers in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Dubai or simply elect not to stopover in brunei.

If it also applies to expats living in brunei, it would be yet another point to add to the growing list of negatives living and working in brunei.

I doubt everyone has 500ml cans; perhaps you could post the contact number of your black market supplier of these. Brunei’s Tourists and Expats may need it.

It may be a minor issue, but is it really a necessary one. Why harass tourists / crews on such a silly technicality. Why not change the yellow form to reflect what is available in duty free stores at airports inbound to brunei.

Flyeast
10th Feb 2008, 09:59
if there pilots are from Air Asia....there will be no worry at all...:}

icom
10th Feb 2008, 11:55
B777 900 excuse me while a pull the ring off another 500ml can, you are right in all regards, but have failed to realize that Brunei does not want tourists, most of RBA passengers are transit pax off to a place where they can drink without harassment order pork of a menu etc!! The other few are locals who want to do what u and I do!! Brunei is a great place to live as an expat and a good place to visit for a few days in fact a fantastic place to visit for a few days. RBA as an airline/employer well that’s another story!! Let’s just say it can’t CAN’T get any worse, a new CEO who, well has done nothing (well he’s been in the local paper a lot!!) Oh yes we all have to have Level 4 Malay!! That comes from a fleet manager for a fleet of aircraft we don’t have and will probably never have!! But don’t get me started!! I am off for another 500ml can!!

PS I was only joking I drink from a 330ml cup and not a fury one!!( I wish!!)

Excuse the spelling I’m P***ed!! :ok::ok:

SlimJim47
10th Feb 2008, 14:07
icom,

Im coming around to your place for a beer. Ive run out as I had some of my last import consumed, aah I mean confiscated by brunei airport customs.

Backtoback,

I think the CEO should be held accountable.

Everyone is fully aware the RBA board of Directors have no experience or interest in aviation or airline matters. They have been appointed to the board through nepotism and are simply serving out their time until they are promoted to other government offices on yet higher salaries.

Why else employ a foreign CEO on $40,000 or so a month plus bonuses. It is up to him to convince / push the increase in grossly out of date salaries and allowances and address rostering issues et all. $40,000 a month is too much to just to make decisions such as extend the turnaround times at airport to improve on time performance.

If the board of directors simply say no and will not listen to him, go to the airline owner himself.

To say he tried once and they said no, so that’s the end of it, indicates he has failed as have his predecessors. Will he just sit back for the remainder of his contract saying, well I tried once, and they said no so there is nothing more I can do.

Let someone more forceful try to rebuild this sad and failing little airline.

Diamondstar

Sadly people have tried in the past.
Apparently a new direct entry Airbus captain made some suggestions to the FTM back when the airbus had recently arrived. He was told in no uncertain terms to keep his opinions to himself.
It was also rumored Airbus nearly failed CD on his Airbus rating as he was doing things his way during the sim rather than the Airbus course procedures. Likewise on the B777 course with BA.
Thus the term megalomania is not just from a disgruntled pilot, but rather an accurate description o rba’s FTM.

JEMAVION
12th Feb 2008, 09:55
Nothing to do with RBA but about 3 years ago I worked in Brunei for a heli company and then, there was no hassle with the customs - 2 lires of spirits and 12 cans of beer, any size. Also, people friendly and accommodating. What's gone wrong?

Blacksheep
15th Feb 2008, 17:31
Blacksheep is no longer in The Kingdom of Unexected Treasures, but will follow the thread with interest. Mostly to see if anyone catches on to the real problem. There's no solution in the Flight Ops management; like all the other managers, they are subject to budgetary restraints. The real clues are to be found in the unpublished Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement and the P&L Account. How long RBA can hold out is a moot point, subject to chaos and uncertainty: perhaps HM will step in with a rescue package, perhaps he won't - but who is responsible for deliberately witholding any further cash injection since the departure HRH PJ as Chairman?

possumshagger
16th Feb 2008, 03:30
Sorry guy's. Sitting on the balcony, over looking the coast, cold glass of beer in hand ( sorry 600ml glass ) Weekend off in my own country, my company doing really well and certainly no crap managers or FTM like CD to screw things up.:E

Why stay with a 2nd, sorry 3rd rate airline, that has never and will never go anywhere, except further down hill? There are so many good jobs around at the moment with much greater prospects. Leave them, let them sort out their own mess, which we all know they can never do.
Leave now!!!! the good jobs won't be around forever, so make sure your not the last one left to switch the lights off???

daninLTN
18th Feb 2008, 14:36
dont happen to have any engineering jobs floatin' around at RBA do you?
desperate to get out of the TUI mess before its too late!...

Orangputi
19th Feb 2008, 03:38
Hi Dani

It looks a lot worse on the engineering side DCA has just closed the hangar and RBA have to outsource all there maintenance form A checks upwards. My advice is to steer clear of them unless the Sultans injects some cash. Otherwise the downward spiral will continue.

There was a lot of unhappy chaps when the CEO and RBA did an about face with the school fees and pay increase. RBA will not change until it fully collapses and has to start anew.

All I can say is have a good look around. Whilst everyone is aware of the pilot shortages, everyone has forgotten the engineer shortages which is even more severe.

The amount of pilots/engineers and aircraft deliveries does not equate my friend.

Asper
19th Feb 2008, 05:47
Why are you looking at RBA? What field of engineering are you? Yes, there are problems, but as you read through this thread, there are benefits of this place as well outside of work. It all depends on your personal situation as well as any career aspirations you may have.... Drop me a PM if you wish and I can give you a summary of an engineers life and the package.

Blacksheep
19th Feb 2008, 10:09
dani - Frying pan. Fire.

daninLTN
19th Feb 2008, 15:11
i find it hard to beleive conditions are that unbearable at rba!
bottom line is i'm looking for somewhere better for me and my family to be, im looking for the lifestyle & social side,
of course, the job means a lot to me too. If the pay is good.....then thats a bonus as well. I dont want a big company, I want an easy life - are there really any other companies that can offer me that meaning not SIA, Thai or Mas??

daninLTN
20th Feb 2008, 09:55
recce?
and do they even have any jobs going at BI?
if so, how do i apply.
i cant find anything, anywhere
cheers.

icom
22nd Feb 2008, 00:45
Flight deck/engs don't come the airline is a real mess!! much better jobs around.:cool:

Ping Pong
23rd Feb 2008, 02:45
The abysmal treatment handed down to pilots by the Boeing 767 Fleet Manager has gone on for long enough.

His removal from office cannot come soon enough, esp as we want to attract new staff.

possumshagger
23rd Feb 2008, 04:24
I dont think things can get any worse, other than the demise of the company, and lets face it, it needs to happen in order for these idiots in management to be shown in their true light. Also, lets face it, your never going to change the mentality within the country, where they all want is something for nothing.
In the good old past where if something broke, the good ole sultan just dug into his silky pockets and out come something brand new? He's too busy right now, further feathering his own nest to bother what his run down Flying club is doing.:D

Dani, dont even consider working for this lot, you will most certainly come to regret it just like most of us who have left recently, there are plenty of jobs around, give this one a wide birth.

Bus429
23rd Feb 2008, 08:38
Dani - don't even think of it. I got out after 14 months. Brunei is a nice place but RBA upper management couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery (if they were allowed to have a brewery).
Take Blacksheep's advice: he is a sage old man who knows what he is talking about.:ok:

Qantas have adverts in Flight. Why don't you drop them a line even if the advertised positions don't match your qualifications?

Blacksheep
23rd Feb 2008, 17:57
sage old man "middle aged chap", if you don't mind Bus... :ooh:

One expects to be working for quite a few years yet ;)

Back2Back
25th Feb 2008, 05:18
Time to jump ship guys, the big announcement expected will be a damp squid and all decisions will be deferred to a later date.

The 777 bond has as many holes in it as the sinking ship, and all good will has long since gone.

Ping Pong
26th Feb 2008, 01:17
The next Board Meeting will confirm that the naff 777 deal is dead.

All those 777 (only) rated pilots will now be put back on the 767, which will go some way to replacing those leaving shortly.

Orangputi
26th Feb 2008, 01:48
Unbelievable :confused: even for RBA :ugh:

5man
26th Feb 2008, 09:54
that does means that the boys who got thier 777rating coure would have done it for free that means that they are half rated and no bonds by RBA is applicable right? if so i can imagine lots of cv going out soon?

THRidle
26th Feb 2008, 10:36
It's sad, and correct me If I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge a 777 endorsement done many months ago, Isn't worth much without "time on type"

Back2Back
27th Feb 2008, 22:14
True THRidle.

We hung in here for the 777 carrot, for with that we could turn a blind eye to rostering fiasco we face on a daily basis. We have a/c grounded due lack of crews.

Yet we have loads of 777 type rated (who didn't get put back on the 767 like most of us) who have not flown for over a year.

This culture of incompetence is tolerated by a Flight Training Manager who surrounds himself with inexperienced yes men.

Oh, and lets not forget the smarmy and unprincipled Boeing Fleet manager who would not pass the slackest Code Of Conduct tests of even a sweet shop, let alone that of an International Airline.

Well, lets see what comes out of todays meeting.

Big Ben
28th Feb 2008, 10:01
RBA's star ranking has dropped to 3 as per Skytrax and lower predicted.
Rumours abound in KUL.
RBA about to go into liquidation ( RBA's Big Announcement to come )
Air Asia to take over RBA Routes, but not debpts.

What has happened RBA?

Is there any truth in the above?

Concerned travelling public!

Bus429
28th Feb 2008, 15:12
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

Confirms trend. A cynic would suggest the few 5-star postings are a little too enthusiastic.
Great shame. I was never enamoured by RBA's inflight or ground service (the latter downright arrogant - I can recall during check-in for a duty travel at BWN an Indian gent being treated to abuse bordering on racist).

Nkosi
29th Feb 2008, 01:42
PASSENGER APPEAL
The problems that are manifested in RBA’s poor passenger appeal are surely a lack of consideration for the people that the ‘front office’ staff gives to their customers. It is not acceptable to the average ‘Joe Blow’ to be given the brush off, as depicted by some in the comments made and contained in the Skytrax forum. With pax being carried from various points an airline that has direct competition from Low Cost Carriers MUST raise their game to at least the same standard and comparable, or sink in the quagmire of criticism and lost revenue. It is pointless to bask in past glories and is as much use as tits on a bull to anticipate and expect a flood of revenue by lowering fares without the high standards of service demanded by the travelling public... Therefore it is suggested that unless the staff are reminded, perhaps forcibly, that their task is to provide a decent service to fare paying pax they should shuffle off somewhere else or alternative employment.

CABIN DROSS
Looking once more at the comments made by punters regarding the glitches within the cabin and IFE that seem to be unattended to. It would appear that the aircraft turnaround times or layovers are inadequate to be able to sort these problems out. Where has the QA aspect of the operator disappeared too? This sort of, non safety related items, but important to the pax sitting on their buts for hours on end just invites criticism.

CREW FATIGUE
One would hope that the duty hour’s fiasco reported in this thread would be alleviated by the re-introduction of that crew who were sidelined due to the possible intro of the 777. This would help those 767 crews who were shouldering the burden. Let’s hope so anyway.

ENGINEERING
I hear that things are not good in the Engineering Department. When I was a resident of the land I knew that the standard of engineers returning to RBA from apprenticeships in UK were high. Management clear in objectives and moral high. What on earth has happened since those days, which were only a few years away?

Enough said, hope that these problems are dealt with but I suspect that laissez-faire will prevail.

Nkosi

B772
29th Feb 2008, 03:05
After reading some of the passenger comments and hearing about the Brunei DCA withdrawing maintenance check approval it seems as though Royal Brunei has lost its way.

With Biman Bangladesh ordering a new fleet ahead of Royal Brunei the airline will look like a third world country airline with a high time 15 year old widebody fleet.

Ndicho Moja
29th Feb 2008, 03:22
"With Biman Bangladesh ordering a new fleet ahead of Royal Brunei the airline will look like a third world country airline with a high time 15 year old widebody fleet."

It already is a third rate airline in a third world country. It is all so sad.

Current Affair
29th Feb 2008, 07:58
Sadly all the latest posting are very much a matter of fact.

So many 3rd world countries have their own Airline, for example Bangladesh, and almost all operate them as an outstanding example of national pride.

Somehow RBA is going to have to pull through, after all its a major employer in Brunei, 2nd only to Shell.

possumshagger
2nd Mar 2008, 08:47
A 3rd world country, with a 3rd rate airline, run by 3rd rate managers and now they will come in last or perhaps never at all??:cool:

The problem is, they are just an employment agency for the locals, whom a great number don't want, nor are capable of giving their best!! All they want is to last until retirement and hope the government with give them a pension. Its all so sad:yuk:

And who's to blame?? No one lah....:{

Ndicho Moja
2nd Mar 2008, 09:51
Thread drift here but this was on another forum. Anyone care to comment?

"Max Knight - Royal Brunei
Anyone know the present whereabouts of Capt Max Knight, who recently left Royal Brunei?"

Bus429
2nd Mar 2008, 10:00
Some alluded to a big announcement concerning RBA's future. Did it happen? Or was it, like other much heralded initiatives or announcements, just so much b*ll from RBA?

beluga0703
2nd Mar 2008, 10:15
Max Knight has never been a captain with RBA. He has not completed his command course with RBA. He was only a senior first officer with RBA for a bit more than 3 years. He left without notice in January. Heard he is somewhere in Middle East (Bahrain) now. RBA is after him.

Bulletin Blues
3rd Mar 2008, 03:08
"RBA is after him"

This wretched individual of a manager is well known for his indiscretion when it comes to dealing with staff, both past and present.

There are many who have "left without notice" usually with a great deal of justification after mistreatment by this manager.

Orangputi
3rd Mar 2008, 03:21
Also do you think it appropriate for this forum to be used to track down a previous employee?:=

Shame on you RBA go through the regular legal channels!

What is wrong with this management what Tossers!:mad:

beluga0703
3rd Mar 2008, 14:18
For your info, Max Knight was on airbus fleet.

possumshagger
6th Mar 2008, 08:09
Max Knight might have been a SFO, but he made an excellent command decision by leaving without notice, and what will RBA do??? Nothing! because there is nothing this pathetic little flying club can do. It serves them right for all the crap it gives it's pilots, it's so nice for the boot to be on the other foot:D

Good luck to Max were ever he is:ok:

South Shore
8th Mar 2008, 01:22
Any feedback from the supposed big meeting?

Any final news on the 777?

Shame its gone down hill so much, never thought that it would be so bad that even the locals have moved on.

bossman133
10th Mar 2008, 04:37
You blokes have got me a bit worried now. I have been looking at options for a family getaway BNE - LHR in August/Sept but from what you blokes seem to be saying I might have to be worried that RB could have serious financial/operating problems by them.
Wadda you think - go SI instead and give the Brunei 4 day tour a miss.
Any and all advice appreciated.:sad:

FanOn
10th Mar 2008, 17:29
If they offer you a seat, RBA will try and do the flight...... probably..... eventually. But, it might still be a good deal.

RBA won't go out of business for a long time yet - based on finances. Nor will they make money for a long time yet..... based on operating principles and management competence.

They might stumble upon a marketable product (which actually & currently exists) within 10 years. Unfortunately for them, it will have been exploited (like the gas). Look toward Kinabalu for tourism, elsewhere for transit.

possumshagger
13th Mar 2008, 04:07
Bossman,, You may be offered the lowest price available to fly RBA, but trust me when I say, you will be flying on the lowest of low cost airlines.

The number of passengers they have let down over the years Im surprised anyone would fly with them, most people don't do it twice. Its an old fleet with loads of problems, run by an incompetent management that dont give a s*** if you or your family are stranded anywhere.

Its well worth paying a little extra for peace of mind, they really are crap!!

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
13th Mar 2008, 04:15
Gentlemen,

It is a bloody pilots market out there. What the f@#$ are you doing whining and waiting around to get shafted. Pack your bags and go west young men.

Wooblah.

Dashy
13th Mar 2008, 11:45
I don't think RBA will be closing the doors just yet but regardless, do go elsewhere for a four day tour

xrba
14th Mar 2008, 00:45
The rush, flying toothpick, is that in civil aviation the music can stop very suddenly, and the chair that you thought you had to sit on elsewhere has someone else on it and your chair is missing. Also, every day that you prevaricate you are losing money because everyone else pays better, and you are losing seniority in the new outfit, which could be important in the choice for upgrading/new types/redundancy et al. The opportunities for 767 rated, or 777 zero hours pilots will dry up before the jobs for those with more popular types/experience. Sitting on your backside being paid for doing nothing for a year or so may be superficially attractive, but is hardly likely to further your career in the long term, if that worries you. In times past the scrabble for jobs has been very unseemly, many of my colleagues have suffered through it, it is not pleasant, don't wait too long, you might regret it.

With US40bn missing from the Brunei economy, large scale investment in a money pit like RBA is unlikely, nothing will change/improve, conditions will just deteriorate. Don't say that it has come as a surprise will you? Good luck with your future, wherever it is.

FlyguyXX
17th Mar 2008, 07:23
Has anyone heard the result of the board meeting last week??? Heard SYD/DPS/SHA are on the chopping block....

Back2Back
17th Mar 2008, 07:27
exrba, another nail hit firmly on the head, well said.

RBA is one of the few Airlines that does not have a seniority list as such, sort of looks at date of joining, if at the time it doesn't upset the plan usually already made. ie whos on the next Command or Training Capt's Course

I know of many colleagues who have missed out, sometimes by just a day.
If you are going to jump ship, sooner the better.

FlyguyXX
21st Mar 2008, 08:59
So you all know, sales of seats on SYD has been closed out from 1Aug.... wonder what that means for us all????

daninLTN
21st Mar 2008, 09:13
You'd think Sydney, Denpaser and Pudong were all moneymakers....
I'm surprised they're axeing DPS but not Surabaya?

gadd
21st Mar 2008, 09:44
4 destinations rumoured to cease!
LHR staff worried about services continuing!
Leave the Fleet Manager alone...it is out of his control....as is RBA and its future!
Move on if one is insecure otherwise stay put and enjoy the "Venice of the East".

FlyguyXX
21st Mar 2008, 12:49
SGN is the fourth on the chopping block...

Sales for SYD/DPS/SHA/SGN have now all been closed out from 01Aug....

We have all decided that this is the year of the secret.... the rat will have to wait until next time....

Static in the Attic
21st Mar 2008, 14:18
...said the B777 would come Sep 06, Dec 06, Jan, Feb, Mar....07 blah blah, 1st LHR Service Dec 03 2007, Jan 08, ...then deal over 01 Mar 08, school fees inc Nov 07, on-line ticketing Nov 07 ..... c'mon f'toothpick - you've been here long enough to know better.

flappy wings
22nd Mar 2008, 04:36
Well RBA is making accelerated headway on the path to self-destruction. The airline industry at this point in time is in the midst of the most competitive and non-protective environment that has existed to date. Those airlines that will survive are those that can be most adaptive and resourceful. RBA is at a disadvantage on both fronts, it has a board that is incapable of making a decision and a CEO that wants to follow in his predecessor’s foot steeps making empty promises and featherbedding his own nest. The pay rises will be the same as the school fee increases, coming next month. Which month? Improved conditions with the arrival of the 777, only have been arriving now for nearly three years. Most have given up on the 777. CD and NM still trying to convince all they are arriving. These pair of delusional clowns is evidence if you stay long enough you become totally brain dead. As I have said before there is some wonderful talent within the airline it is now time to move on and reignite your careers. The time is rapidly approaching for the removal of RBA’s life support system.

4syllables
22nd Mar 2008, 07:25
Anyone,
I have just heard, Emirates coming to Brunei, This is your Opportunity to get out of Brunei

26th March 2008 Bandar Seri Begawan The Empire Hotel & Country Club
Jerudong 10.00am – 1.30pm

We ask you to bring the following items:

• Copy of your online application (if available)
• Original licence and medical certificate
• Verification of flying hours (logbooks or certified statements)

Make this an opportunity NOT TO MISS!!!

xrba
22nd Mar 2008, 07:40
As Static in the Attic says in another thread, "if RBA has their wits about them"

Got to be the quote of the century, that one!!

Another comedian talks about "the Venice of the East"

Ye Gods, Kampong Ayer!!!!

Things must be worse than I thought possible!

Keep taking the tablets from CD & NM guys.

gadd
22nd Mar 2008, 11:28
Thanks "xRBA" you are the only one that appreciates the humour in this place.
I cannot help but think that something big (not necessarily positive!) is about to happen at RBA.
Those that remember are saying that RBA has "NEVER" been this bad....and yes its history is certainly jaded to say the least!
So what does one do......MOVE ON or sit around reading pprune and pass off all the moaning as self indulgent rhetoric that really does not address the situation in a company that has become the laughing stock of aviation? (and probably never will!)

Blacksheep
22nd Mar 2008, 14:59
A 30%-40% hike in basic pay! Wow! That will come from the extra profit generated by closing down unprofitable routes and switching to profitable ones. The impressive advertisements shown on worldwide television will bring in the punters in droves. Emirates must be sh*tting themselves, no wonder they are scouting in The Empire to check out the opposition. ;)

Bus429
22nd Mar 2008, 18:09
Blacksheep,
More than a little irony, perchance?:ok:

Blacksheep
23rd Mar 2008, 00:40
Ironic?
Me?
Nah.....
Never ;)

D'pirate
24th Mar 2008, 03:05
Wooblah is right, PM me if you are interested in moving to a 767 operation a bit north of Brunei (Capts and FOs required) and I will pass the contact details.

Back2Back
25th Mar 2008, 04:34
Surabaya will stay, but have heard that they are looking to start the FRA again, am told that was one of the only money spinners.

Ah, Day OFF tomorrow, 4 S's good luck mate - see you there.

Ndicho Moja
25th Mar 2008, 07:36
Flyingtoothpick, to whom do you preach?

Ping Pong
25th Mar 2008, 09:00
Thanks Toothpick.

Pilots or employers can form their own opinion from the information you have provided.

daninLTN
25th Mar 2008, 09:22
what was the reasoning behind suspending FRA again? i cant imagine it was lack of aircraft but i'm sure someone can enlighten me.

they'll need to come in daily in order to be competitive at FRA.
and good luck to them on finding slots

Ndicho Moja
25th Mar 2008, 09:42
Toothpick, I have no problem at all with you sharing information. Thanks for the thought. My comment was more directed at the fact that this, in general, is old news. Again, thanks anyway.

NM

FlyguyXX
26th Mar 2008, 05:01
The decisions were made nearly two weeks ago about the four stations but nothing has been announced.

The schedule has also been released until the end of October but it is very contradictory to what was going to be announced.

Does anyone have a relative on the board :)))

Live's and mental well being is in the balance here :))))

Nkosi
26th Mar 2008, 05:47
Guys,

Try to put a positive spin on the situation – there may be yet a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Or, of course, it will all turn to crap and the doomsayers will have been proven right!

Nkosi

daninLTN
26th Mar 2008, 21:24
anyone know when this " announcement" is due to happen, and should we give them say 3-4 months for it to come out ?

Back2Back
27th Mar 2008, 23:28
There will be much wringing of hands by the B of D over such an announcement.

Announcements mean decisions have been made, and who made the decision is responsible for it. Read - can be blamed.

Can take months, if at all. Usually just done on the quite.

Notice how staff who should be sacked are retired, usually like Tenga H on full end of term benefits.

WiraMelayu
28th Mar 2008, 00:00
Things can't be that bad in the Abode of Peace.....heard some blokes from Easy Jet came over and are settling down comfortably without the whining and bitching.

Orangputi
28th Mar 2008, 08:30
Yes it is ok if you are single and dont have any kids otherwise forget it!

Yes I have heard about the announcement well it has been carroted for about 5 years and still nothing. Even if they did pay 75% in school fees (what about 100% you tight arses!) they would still have to atleast double the pay to keep people and this would not be competitive compared to other places.

I am sorry the local mentality is that people are lining up to join the sh*tty organisation! even though people are leaving in droves.

The only hope is a complete collapse and to start again!

I am sorry these are just the facts rather than the fantasy some people like to believe, wake up people and move on to greener pastures!

Ndicho Moja
28th Mar 2008, 09:40
I have been reading these threads with interest. I would like to add: pilots of airlines from all corners of the industry have been waiting with baited breath on announcements about to be made by management. Announcements due at the end of the month, the next board meeting, the end of the financial year and then they never materialise.

Please, do not wait and hope that the end of the rainbow will come to you, because it never does. Whatever it is one is looking or hoping for needs to be sought. When the funds are available and the people responsible for spending those same funds build up the intestinal fortitude to do just that, then and only then will things change.

Get on with life, enjoy what you have or go and find what you seek.

Here endeth the lesson.

Good luck.