PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeks career guidance in OZ

jongray
6th Apr 2008, 05:27
Hi,
I am 32 years old and have chosen aviation as a career and to date love every moment except for the crosswinds landings! I should crack solo within the week, and expect to sit the BAK exam soon.
My end state is to have CPL/MECIR and maybe go down the instructor route.
I feel some what concerned if this is the best choice. I want to gain the experience and the right exposure that will put me in good stead for say virgin, qantas.
I'm not sure what direction i should head post training. i was thinking the Instructor route however the possibility of charter work sounds solid as well.
Really appreciate some inside knowledge, from australian pilots.
Regards.

Ambitious
6th Apr 2008, 09:21
Hi Jon,

It's great to hear that you are enjoying your flying so much! I am also just about to start my training.

I think that you've raised a very good question and I am looking forward to hearing what all the experienced pilits have to say. ;)

All the best with your solo and BAK!

poss
6th Apr 2008, 10:34
At this stage Virgin and Qantas are quite out of reach. Without paying for a type rating or getting one bonded you would be looking at going probably, instructor to regional airline F/O then onto Captain.. building your hours up, then paying for or possibly getting a bonded type rating with a larger airline on jets.. probably airlines that are like easyjet/thomson fly/first choice etc then after a few thousand hours on type Virgin and Quantas will consider you. They are high profile airlines and want the best they can find.

jongray
8th Apr 2008, 07:08
Thank you for your honest advice, l will investigate some flight schools that offer a flight instructor rating. The path you suggested is a well worn one and should give me the knowledge and experience to one day take command.

Does anyone recommend a school for the above rating?

I sense there is a shortage of flight instructors in Australia, can anyone comment if this is the case? How difficult would is it to find work as a instructor with 200-300 Hours?

Cheers