PDA

View Full Version : Emirates death.....oops!

Hand Solo
6th Apr 2008, 00:52
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7332462.stm

Bit of a foul up, but trying to claim compensation for 10 seconds of distress seems to be pushing it a little!

londonmet
6th Apr 2008, 02:46
Hand Solo,

It does to you and me but we do live in the compensation culture. I'm shocked almost daily by these sorts of events!

L Met

Tigs2
6th Apr 2008, 03:01
I can't agree. I would just be so glad that my family were safe, talk about how the error occurred (understanding also the trauma for the crew), and then would have been elated to get on with my (our family) life. These people do this because they read about it in the press, and see it as an easy way of paying off some loans. Sorry but i would not do it even if i could. I have been in four car accidents and never claimed for a whiplash and been in 3 aircraft accidents (one causing a long term back injury) which i have never claimed anything for, incase i was able to 'come back' and serve queen and country. (how stupid is that, I could have had a war pension). Never even claimed for the normal high tone deafness. I am happy to be labelled both a loyal :mad: and a Stupid :mad:, the latter being most appropriate.

londonmet
6th Apr 2008, 03:06
So Tigs2 you agree then? You Said you can't?!?

Tigs2
6th Apr 2008, 03:33
LM
yeah you know it is late;) I meant i cannot agree with the compensation culture, I wouldn't do it. It's just when i only type with two fingers and must look at the keys, anything extra is to much:)

So yes I agree with you:ok:

aviatorguy
6th Apr 2008, 03:36
Interesting. And without knowing all the details, and I stress that it is merely a possibilty (before a bunch of self righteous pricks jump on the flame bandwagon), this may come back to haunt him if the parents knew or suspected the kid an infectious disease prior to flying... Just a thought.....

Addendum: Notwithstanding the fact that it was certainly a stresfull moment for the family...

Tigs2
6th Apr 2008, 04:04
it will be interesting to se how much this guy wants to claim for the 10 seconds of trauma. I think a free ticket to go and see them was excellent.

Maybe he should have had his kids vaccinated against chickenpox anyway.

airfoilmod
6th Apr 2008, 04:09
That his children got sick d'nunda and the Airline were quick to tend to them, maybe he owes the crew an apology and a sincere thank you. The Journs can be such crapheads, more about ginning up some excitement than presenting a story with accurate details.:=

noflare
6th Apr 2008, 05:00
The compensation culture has well and truly arrived...and :mad: like this dont help.
Why were his kids travelling if they were unwell,....have a bit of respect for the crew and what they went through....I hope he doesnt get a penny!

Capt Claret
6th Apr 2008, 05:00
I lost my number 2 son when he was about 3 or 4. It was gut wrenching, the worst 40 minutes of my life. I was sure some pervert had kidnapped him.

When I found him, he was standing at the back door of our white Nissan Bluebird, in the shopping centre car park, having crossed the main road and made his way through the shopping centre.

Maybe Emirates will compensate me too!

(He turned 25 last month)

surely not
6th Apr 2008, 05:22
If his kids were flying whilst contagious with chickenpox then he needs to keep his fingers crossed that none of the other older passengers get Shingles, or pregnant ladies get complications as a result of his selfishness in allowing his family members to travel on the aircraft mixing their germs into the cabin.

Maybe someone will sue him for actual suffering rather than 10 seconds of error. He seems to be the type who would take at least 10 seconds to work out what the words meant so I cannot see that he had any suffering.........

driftdown
6th Apr 2008, 06:22
I suspect most people being given this news would spend at least 10secs trying to assimilate the information, the life falling apart bit would come later.

I think I would be too busy being overjoyed to hear that it was a mistake to worry about claiming for compensation.

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Apr 2008, 07:01
The ts and cs of his wife's ticket probably mention about traelling with infectious diseases. Chicken pox usually needs to be 'scabbed over' befroe you can travel. If this wasn't the case, perhaps Emirates should be looking at the family for compensation! (or perhaps just mention it quietly if he persists in his claim)

gehenna
6th Apr 2008, 07:22
OK, it's sad for the guy, but the airline apologized and flew him out. Suddenly money will make him feel better? How come. He's just another money-grabber who reckons that money will make his 'feelings' better.

They should ban him from flying with them, and tell him to get lost.

Final 3 Greens
6th Apr 2008, 07:57
I don't agree with compensation, but you have to admit that it was a major crass error by the airline, if it actually as described in the article.

Totally unacceptable to put someone through that, even for 10 seconds.

stator vane
6th Apr 2008, 08:24
that caused his trauma?

anotherthing
6th Apr 2008, 08:25
Final 3 Greens - I agree it was a terrible mistake, but I can't honestly believe that Emirates made a call saying I have a couple of numbers for you, the first number is the undertakers dealing with the body. and then snubbed Mr Miller by ....put(ting) the phone down on me. It smacks of a little artistic license being used.

What is money going to do to make him feel better? IMHO he is a

Money

Grabbing

:mad::mad:!!

lexxity
6th Apr 2008, 10:09
If his kids were flying whilst contagious with chickenpox then he needs to keep his fingers crossed that none of the other older passengers get Shingles, or pregnant ladies get complications as a result of his selfishness in allowing his family members to travel on the aircraft mixing their germs into the cabin.

I did wonder why his family weren't denied travel in the first place? I know my airline have denied travel to a child with chickenpox on a couple of occasions. Shingles is horrid, I've been there.

Silly man should take his free ticket and the apology. I know EK made a mistake but they realised straight away and corrected it. If they had just left it then I think he would be right in asking for compensation, but not in this instance. It's just typical of the culture in this country that he has gone to the BBC.

Oh that's super!
6th Apr 2008, 11:38
I hate this 'make a claim whenever possible' type of culture. I wish things went back to the days of 'stiff upper lip' and 'apology accepted'.

EK apologised and offered a free flight to see his family - what more does he expect for 10 seconds? It's not like he was left thinking the worst for a day or two.

In my opinion, the mother shouldn't have taken her child with infection on board with her in any case, assuming she knew the child had chickenpox. It was inconsiderate towards her own child (travelling is unpleasant, without being unwell) and other passengers. Maybe EK didn't see the blisters etc before they got on board and so did not notice the child being unwell, but surely the mother would have known her child was not well?

newcomer
6th Apr 2008, 12:09
Mr Miller says his family deserves compensation over the ordeal.

So what has emirates done to his family. They were sick and taken off the plane. So why do they deserve compensation. Maybe Mr Miller wants a new BMW stored away in his garage.

jetopa
6th Apr 2008, 12:23
A couple of years ago I was about to check in at an airport hotel in NUE, when the puzzled clerks told me that they have been informed about the cancellation of my room because I presumably have died in an airplane crash...:uhoh:

It turned out to be a mix-up of two pilots with similar family names (the other one really had crashed and died a few days before). I was too busy to ensure, that the rumour hasn't spread too much yet and claiming a compensation actually never crossed my mind.

But I think, an apology (which I received) plus a free drink at the hotel bar would have settled this.:ok:

Flintstone
6th Apr 2008, 12:27
Sponging, freeloading, whinging, bloodsucking, 'me me me' leeches.

What the hell was he doing putting infectious children on an aircraft full of passengers in the first place? Yes, Emirates screwed up with the phone call but in my opinion he's lucky not to be holding a bill for an hotel for his children while they wait to become fit to fly.

Krystal n chips
6th Apr 2008, 12:33
Only those of a cynical mind would muse as to the possibility that maybe the credit card bill has recently arrived...and was larger than expected..or the fixed rate mortgage deal is about to expire.......only muse please note..not suggest or imply or infer in any way. A purely hypothetical muse of course.

Be interesting to learn said wishful claimants occupation as well.

driftdown
6th Apr 2008, 14:27
Should it come to discussing the travelling of unwell children, how long will it be before the Mother starts blaming Emirates for not spotting her family were unwell.

After all the problem must surely be with the check in staff who did not recognise the problem :yuk:

loobster
6th Apr 2008, 22:24
Ridiculous. My son was ill with chickenpox 2 years ago just before our family jaunt. I had purchased insurance and did not travel until my GP said we could. The flights were reimbursed and hol re booked. I have seen shingles in an older person( albeit my vile mum in law... shame) and it's not nice. Any mother knows if their kid is " coming down " with something, days before they actually are ill. There is no way I would inflict it on a captive audience on an a/c. Stupid, thick parents.

Hollymead
7th Apr 2008, 08:25
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/tragic-final-days-of-a-lonely-traveller/2008/03/14/1205472062944.html

lexxity
7th Apr 2008, 09:12
I hope Mr Compensation reads that and now shuts up and goes away. What a sad, sad story.

Lost_luggage34
7th Apr 2008, 12:47
Heard the guy on Talk Radio a few evenings ago.

He was bleating on and on about how distressed and appaulingly treated he had been.

Came across as a total whinger and did himself no favours whatsoever.

thisismystory
10th Apr 2008, 11:53
I think you should be careful when speculating what did and did not happen without all the facts. There seems to be an awful lot more to this story than has appeared in the media so far. He has posted on a number of other sites giving details of what actually happened in full. Check out the following Australian sites http://www.rustylime.com/show_article.php?id=1476 and http://andrewnorton.info/blog/2008/04/08/compo-culture/ for starters. Seems like the media are not presenting all the facts and are just concentrating on one aspect.

Not very good reading, cannot believe the airline just did not cough up a compensation payment as it is one stuff up after another!

thisismystory
10th Apr 2008, 13:49
looking at the detail it seems his son came out in a rash (which was diagnosed as cp afterwards) on board during the flight. They were offloaded when the plane was diverted to India when another passenger got ill. There does not seem to be any issue about being taken off the plane and getting him looked at, just that his poor Australian partner and two young kids were treated appallingly.

I would not fancy risking taking my kids around a third world hospital and accross a strange city in a dangerous vehicle. Both parents must of been in a real state, strewth I would want to kill anyone who harmed my kids in any way. I cannot understand why they just did not get a doctor to see them in the airport, as they asked for in the first place. They stuffed up all right, big style.

He says the compo claim was not specifically for the phone call, but the long list of airline blunders - of which the phone call was merely one small incident. So the media have screwed up the story by missing out a big part. Story makes total sense now.

lexxity
11th Apr 2008, 14:00
Ok fair enough, having now seen the whole story I think that Emirates have treated the family abysmally. If the whole story had been reported in the first place, then none of the comments regarding compensation, mine included, would have been posted.