PDA

View Full Version : Ezy6114 Nce To Brs 3/4/08

Welsh Bobby
5th Apr 2008, 12:43
Hi- Had a GA on the final approach-my first!
Captain said it was due to an unexpected tail wind?
Can anyone explain a bit more.Thought these sophisticated airbuses had all the tech to predict weather and speed of aircraft? Anything to do with the short runway at BRS?

Maude Charlee
5th Apr 2008, 13:26
Most companies have very strict limits on the strength of tailwind with which a crew is allowed to land, depending on a/c type. Can't say what the limit is for the EZY 319, but in my company it is only 10 kts, which is little more than a moderate breeze.

Depending on a/c weight and runway length, any tailwind can mean that an a/c will be unable to meet the calculated landing performance criteria for a particular runway, although I would be surprised if that was the case here.

As for the a/c systems, yes they are fairly sophisticated and provide accurate data to the pilots on wind speed and direction, but have no predictive ability that I am aware of. Pilots still rely on met forecasts for planning, and actual data from both a/c systems and ATC to monitor the situation on an approach to land.

Whilst every effort is usually made to land with a headwind, occassionally situations arise where accepting a slight tailwind is required, often when the wind is a variable crosswind. Unfortunately, if the wind changes significantly during the approach, then a crew can suddenly find themselves with a situation outside of allowable limits, and have no alternative but to make a missed approach.