PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Heli-Tour Operation?

Runway101
5th Apr 2008, 11:02
I am wondering what happened to the Phuket Heli-Tour operation that was planned by Capt Bob Pagett a couple of years ago. It sounded like they had the governors approval, but I can't find anything about a helicopter company in Phuket using Google or anything here on the forum.

The only thing I found was this article from 2006:
http://www.phuketgazette.com/news/index.asp?id=5099

trackdirect
5th Apr 2008, 23:45
Methinks bob is still driving the security truck at sydney airport.....

Never in Balance
6th Apr 2008, 02:47
I was in Phuket in Jan and looked around for a helicopter company, just out of curiosity and found nothing.
Seems it never got off the ground (excuse the pun).
Would be great to fly to the Islands.... both as passenger and pilot.

TukTukDriver
22nd Apr 2008, 01:11
I've lived in Phuket for the past 12 years (Working/Flying in the Persian Gulf) I remember the "HeliThai" operation that tried to get up and running a few years back. Given the high taxes & duty on parts/spares (200%) the corruption on the part of the Thai military, police and gov't officials.........HeliThai didn't stand a chance, although it was was nice to see someone give it a try. The Thai gov't are extremely paranoid about helicopters being able to take-off and land "anywhere".....away from an airport. They fear drug/people/gun runners and who only knows what else. There was a fixed-wing operator about 15 years ago using Grumman Malards taking-off and landing in the water that also failed for the same reasons. Having said that, "Destination Air" seam to have been making a go of it with Amphib Cessna Caravans for the past year or so. If your're dual rated and don't mind working for a bowl of rice everyday............call them.

oldlag
22nd Apr 2008, 10:52
There is an EC120.. brand new, about to start flying from the airport to one of the resorts. Don't forget where you heard this first.:ok:

Trojan1981
22nd Apr 2008, 11:46
where for art thou, rotaryman?

Trojan1981
22nd Apr 2008, 11:50
Methinks bob is still driving the security truck at sydney airport..... No, he is not working there anymore. Don't know where he's gone...

McGowan
24th Apr 2008, 05:46
Bogdan the turnip boy.......................