PDA

View Full Version : Good Stansted viewing area

vabsie
5th Apr 2008, 10:28
Hi all

My girlfriend and I drove past (close to) stansted the other day (on the M11 I believe) on our way to Andrewsfield.

We could see some nice low flying aircraft taking off over the highway but for obvious reasons didn't want to pull onto the shoulder of the road to have a bit of a look.

Does anybody know if there is a good viewing area next to the road or anywhere else close to stansted to get a good view of planes taking off?

Thanks!

Stefan

daz211
5th Apr 2008, 12:34
Hello I work at STN and the only good place to view is around the other side of the Airfield from the Terminal.

Follow signs for long stay car park,
go past the long stat car park,
go past the road on your right (old terminal),
go past next turn on your left (it goes over M11)
go through Burton End village,
look out for cars parked on the side of road and you will have found it :ok:
the road is called Belmar Rd, there is a enbankment with full view of the runway with no obstructions.

It is very easy to get to and takes 5 mins from the long stay,
I hope this helps.

vabsie
5th Apr 2008, 15:41
many thanks daz211!!!

vabsie
6th Apr 2008, 19:06
Hey dazz211

Thanks again for the information. Went to the viewing area you mentioned today and it was excellent thanks.

There were quite a few guys with binoculars and notepads writing stuff down .. didn't want to disturb them by asking what they were doing .. just heard one mentioning writing down "numbers".

Any idea what that means / what they are writing down? Just curious. Are they what you would traditionally call "plane spotters"?

Stefan

PaperTiger
7th Apr 2008, 16:19
Any idea what that means / what they are writing down? Just curious. Are they what you would traditionally call "plane spotters"?I think this question would be better posed in Rumours and News, or maybe the Mil forum. :E