PDA

View Full Version : EgyptAir making final changes as Star membership approaches

SU-GCM
5th Apr 2008, 00:46
Friday April 4, 2008 EgyptAir Chairman Atef Abdel Hamid said the carrier's effort to meet the requirements for Star Alliance membership is nearing conclusion and it expects to be ready for a Cairo joining ceremony scheduled for July.
"We still have some challenges to meet the last standards of a Star Alliance member," Hamid told ATWOnline this week in Istanbul. He said training of certain staff and some minor adaptations to its IT infrastructure are still on the docket but will be completed on schedule.
Other changes are in store as well, including a new brand and livery. "We are in the process to present our new brand very soon on one of our aircraft. No later than May we will show our new colors," he said, adding that the brand will reflect the "spirit of Egypt" and the carrier's effort to make Cairo the principal gateway to Africa and points in the Middle East. "We have to work hard. All this is not a matter of money. This is necessary to present the world a new quality carrier," Hamid said.
MS is in the process of renewing a portion of its narrowbody fleet. Seven older A320s, four A321s and five 737-500s will be replaced. "Which type we buy depends on the deal from the manufacturers," he said (ATWOnline, Jan. 29) (http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=11549).
In partnership with Rolls-Royce and Lufthansa Technik, MS also will endeavor to make Cairo a site for more third-party MRO work, "thanks to our lower costs within EgyptAir Technic compared to Europe and our experienced staff," Hamid said. Three weeks ago, construction started on a new engine shop that will be managed under a joint venture with Rolls.
by Kurt Hofmann

skygod
5th Apr 2008, 08:34
GOOD luck to EGYPTAIR, any ideas/rummors on what the new livery's gonna look like???????

thks
skygod

weido_salt
5th Apr 2008, 08:46
EgyptAir joining star?!

What a frightening prospect.

SU-GCM
5th Apr 2008, 16:00
unfortunately I don't know how it will look like
but please if any one knows how it will be let us know

Good Luck Egyptair

Sir Osis of the river
5th Apr 2008, 18:11
Hey Weirdo Salt,

whats your beef with Egypt Air?

I just flew with them for the first time and what a pleasant experience

weido_salt
6th Apr 2008, 04:08
Sir Osis of the river

No beef at all. After all you and I survived the experience. At lot of passengers never did.

Tell you what, do a quick search of this site for anything to do with Eygptair. This may refresh your memory. You may read about the single pilot operation from Cairo to Sharm el Sheikh in an A320. While you are reading this, just remember that this is a "flag carrier" and one would expect that the selection criteria would be as such. I.E. selected on merit not on how much clout and money the candidates family has etc., etc.

CJ750
6th Apr 2008, 05:15
I.E. selected on merit not on how much clout and money the candidates family has etc., etc.

That i believe happens in all aviation circles especially in SAA here in South Africa so it is no different. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

SA747
7th Apr 2008, 13:49
Flew JHB-Cairo-JHB about a year ago with Egyptair and also a couple of domestic flights from Cairo to Sharm and Luxor, and cannot complain about the service on Egyptair. At that stage it was 100% better than SAA or Iberia, the only airlines I've used to fly out of South Africa. Joining Star Alliance will probably improve standards even more, so I say go for it.

From operating 2 flights a week to JHB two years ago and now going daily, they must be doing something right.