PDA

View Full Version : HELP

Sam Awan
4th Apr 2008, 21:43
Hello everyone!

My name is Sam, my dream is too become a commercial pilot, i have taken 3lessons but always delay to persue it further due to my work life and ofcourse the financial side of it too! Can anyone help me how to get started and what to do coz i am starting from scratch! I want to gain my PPL but want to know whats the beat way to do it! Any preps??

preduk
4th Apr 2008, 21:55
Which route are you going? Modular to Integrated?

If your going Modular, find yourself a good school/club put some money towards it each month and stay dedicated. Get to know the instructors and pick their brains for information, tips and techinques.

Sam Awan
6th Apr 2008, 14:32
Thankyou very much for your advice...

But i have not heard of the professional flight intro held in Heathrow! Do u have a number for it?

I want the quickest way to achieve my goal. And am very dedicated. What is the difference between modular and integrated?

What are the best schools for this training in the UK?, coz i've researched on Jerez in Spain that is known to be quite good, but if there is another school for this field in the UK, i'd rather go there!

What are the standard requirements to join?

Sorry i know im asking too many questions but im starting from scratch!

Once again thank you

Sam

maxdrypower
6th Apr 2008, 14:42
My god this is pathetic , this must be the fourth this week, Scroggs where are you ?????????????????????????????????????????
Sam click on the link at the top entitled Read Before you post a question , when you have answered all your questions from the vast amount of information there if you have a question then post accordingly

preduk
6th Apr 2008, 14:43
I must agree... you say you are dedicated to becoming a pilot but right know you are asking very basic questions without looking.

In regards to the flight exhibition, visit: http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/

jb2_86_uk
6th Apr 2008, 16:31
My god this is pathetic , this must be the fourth this week, Scroggs where are you ??

How very..... welcoming

was that really called for? If you dont want to reply to sams posts then dont. My mother always used to say 'if youve nothing nice/relevent/useful to say, then dont say it'

Sam, 'maxdrypower' is right, there is alot of info contained in the sticky thread, probably all you will need. But IMO that doesnt warrent treating a new member like crap.

Good luck with your training sam!

JB

BerksFlyer
6th Apr 2008, 16:41
No, I have to agree with maxdrypower. The level of research from some of these 'dedicated' wanabees really does shock me. How can you go into something so serious with such a shockingly low level of research!?

And yes there are an awful lot of threads similar to this, especially recently.

jb2_86_uk
6th Apr 2008, 16:47
I agree that the info is there, I said so in my post. but calling a new member pathetic is pathetic in itself.

I see this in ever new post by a new member, there is always someone waiting in the wings to shoot them down... more often than not its the same people as well :ugh: This place is supposed to be a community

nick14
6th Apr 2008, 16:59
is modular the most popular? didnt realise that.

if your looking for UK schools then try OAA, Cabair, Gloucestershire Aeros for a start but there are many more.

good luck
Nick

BerksFlyer
6th Apr 2008, 17:21
jb2,

And a community it is. It simply isn't a community for people asking the most basic of questions. It is meant to be about Professional training, and there also happens to be a great big sticky at the top of one of the wanabee forums with the answers to all these basic questions in.

nick14,

Yes modular is by far the most popular especially considering that a lot of people think it wise to get a PPL before starting towards the fATPL, so that they know they actually like flying. Also the cost difference is a big driver in it.

Sam Awan
6th Apr 2008, 19:25
JB2 86 UK,

Thanks for that, i appreciate it the support!:)

Was told to log on to this site to find any question possibly answered, was not told that it is for professional wannabes!

But maybe in time when im conveniently stretched in this field, i will be able to talk on the same level with people on this site that are eager to slap u down just coz they've done it all, and are boosted coz they feel superior just coz they know what they're talking about!

But what they don't realise is that new comers like me appreciates every little professed help they can get for a little encouragement, from people that have been through it and are willing to pass it on. But hey i guess i know now!

Im funding my own course and have passed the entry test for Jerez, and all i asked were simple questions that was no need be fired back at.

BerksFlyer
6th Apr 2008, 19:46
Sam,

The thing is, you say you want to get a PPL. Yet now you say you are going to FTE (Jerez). Now, if you go there, there is little point in doing a PPL because it is an integrated course. Only do a PPL if you are going modular.

We need details to work with! And from what your first post said, it seems like you answered your own question (how to get started). Im sure FTE can take it from here...

jb2_86_uk
6th Apr 2008, 20:17
Like many people on here, I have chosen to take the financial hit of doing an integrated course (start in July). For me I was stuck in a job i hated, earning very little, so I needed to get it all done and dusted as quickly as possible so I can begin a new career as a pilot and get me away from my own personal retail hell!

But, Im 22, dont have my own family or home, so it is convinient for me to do it this way. For someone who may be older, married with kids, paying a mortgage and has a decent paying job, it would probably be wiser to go modular and spread the course (and costs!) out over a longer period of time.

Each to their own eh?

JB

nick14
6th Apr 2008, 22:19
ah thats interesting thanks for the info!

I always thought that integrated was most popular as we have more integrated at this school than modular by far but i guess the same is not true with every school and the fact that there are more modular schools is the deciding factor.

never realy thought about it

Many thanks
Nick

preduk
6th Apr 2008, 23:44
I think it's mainly got to do with the amount of advertising Integrated schools do, they have a bigger budget than most FTO schools. :ugh:

jb2_86_uk
7th Apr 2008, 06:36
Not suprising the integrated ftos have a bigger budget, swiping 60k (or thereabouts) off everyone who passes through the front door! lol :}

I must say though, it wasnt their advertisments that got me hooked. After watching the UK TV series 'Airline' I contacted easyjet and asked them about pilot training (Thinking at this time, it was done in-house by the airlines themselves). EasyJet pointed me towards CTC. Then during my CTC application I found out about the others, Oxford, Jerez, Cabair and the list goes on....

I dont have any family or friends who are even remotly interested in aviation so it was (and still is) a step into the unknown for me!

JB