PDA

View Full Version : Seat pack question

jimgriff
4th Apr 2008, 14:58
I am restoring a Type 9b Mk2 from a Jaguar (old headbox type) and with the behind the back hard fibreglass parachute pack.

I am 99% complete but wondered if anyone could help with the following bits:
Items marked * are more urgent-

Ejection gun type 17 Mk1 or type 15 Mk2 *

Complete Top latch plunger assembly and housing*(incl springs bolts and mounting washers etc)

Inert Rocket pack No 5 Mk3 & attachment bolts (Dummy unit acceptable)

Full oxygen system (pilot and aircraft sides)

Negative G strap and multi point QRB*

A full sticker (decal) set for this seat if possible

I also need the AP giving details of the packing of the chute into the pack as I have a problem getting the three pin closure over the small pilotchute and spring widget to stay still as I pack and seal.

Any help or pointers will be very useful.

Thanks in anticipaton and if anyone has any seat related stuff they would like to donate to the cause please IM or e mail.

Jimgriff

www.ejectorseats.co.uk

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Apr 2008, 16:06
Get yourself a set of packing pins and paddles. The older civvy riggers and most military riggers will know what I'm on about.

jimgriff
4th Apr 2008, 16:33
Packing pins and paddles not a problem as I already have these. It's the tecnique and procedure I need. Pictures would also be a bonus and if I rem correctly the relevant AP is full of pics.

Ancient Squipper
12th Apr 2008, 23:25
jimgriff.

Whilst not famillar with the jaguar parachute is the "spring widget" a conical spring sewn into a fabric tube(auxiliary parachute ejector spring box assembly) as used in the Phantom horseshoe pack ? If so you require a spring holding tool to keep the spring depressed whilst stowing the auxiliary parachute (pilot chute). Holding tool resembles an oversized two pronged tuning fork with a long handle . Spring box is compressed and inserted between prongs. Place holding tool with spring box on to the side flap with the disc plate flap (strengthened stiff part of flap) Route the holding tool handle out between front and side flaps. Fold auxiliary parachute and stow by three small concertina folds apex uppermost on top of spring box and tool. Close para pack flaps insert rip-pins. Carefully remove holding tool by pulling on handle.
Without tool :*:ugh::ugh:With tool :O

jimgriff
13th Apr 2008, 06:54
Thanks for that AS. The spring pack has three "wings" on top to hold the aux parachute and has the third and final closure cone held internally. By that I mean that the springpack, aux chute and final flap pack all fold onto this final cone for pack closure which comes up inside the spring tube! I dont have the spring paddle but can now visulaise what is needed and see if I can make one to do the job.
As the seat is for display I could just remove the whole intarnal fabrics and be done with it , but I get a warm feeling knowing that everything is still inside and done properly.
I am also loking for some odds and sods for the seat restoration if anyone knows of any jag seat spares knocking around?
Thanks in advance.

Dan Winterland
13th Apr 2008, 07:30
When's the first flight? :eek:

adrian mole
13th Apr 2008, 07:46
Jimgriff

Have you tried posing the question on the RAF Armourers website?

Go to www.rafarmourers.co.uk good luck

Stitchbitch
13th Apr 2008, 12:53
Let me have a look tommorow and see if I can find anything Jag related in the shed...:eek:

jimgriff
13th Apr 2008, 14:48
Any and all help will be great and well received !

Could be the last?
13th Apr 2008, 21:29
You need to speak with the Aircrew Assisted Escape Systems (AAES 1) element of the Aircrew Escape and Survival IPT. :ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
14th Apr 2008, 02:06
Does that dept also help 'bewildered' serving service crew to escape from the RAF???:D:D:D

I'm sorry I had to get it in:ok:

jimgriff
14th Apr 2008, 08:30
"You need to speak with the Aircrew Assisted Escape Systems (AAES 1) element of the Aircrew Escape and Survival IPT"

Now I am confused!!!:bored:

Could be the last?
14th Apr 2008, 10:21
The IPT deals with all elements of AEA and SE, including ejection seats of most in-service ac. The exceptions are platforms such as Typhoon, who have decided to go it on their own; until it all gets difficult!

If you want more info then PM me.

The alternative would be to speak with Martin-Baker at Denham. I am sure they would be involved some where in the chain, they normaly are!