PDA

View Full Version : Airlink promotions

Pages : [1] 2

kiross
2nd Apr 2008, 18:35
Airlink has recently promoted a few JS41 captains, according to seniority to the respective jet fleets. I hear 4 more are scheduled to join the new ranks this month. 2 to BAE146 and 2 to ERJ135. :DWELL DONE RF:D Looks like there is hope yet!

chefrp
2nd Apr 2008, 19:12
sounds great, but who is flying the JS41's??????

:confused:

mortivflow
3rd Apr 2008, 19:18
There is hope indeed. Airlink is losing a large number of crew and it's sad to see them go.
Airlink has its problems but it is not a bad place to work for. The reality is all airlines have their problems.
The truth is, not many people want to spend many years on the jetsream, and why should they? since in this current situation pilots are in demand, so if there is a chance to make a carreer move to a place that operates bigger machines then why not.
But if you enjoy flying in an airline environment with a small aircraft into all sorts of conditions with a good bunch of pilots then this may be for you.
Trust me you will learn to fly! and even if Airlink is a stepping stone it will serve you greatly.
The atmosphere is relaxed, friendly and proffesional

see you there
Mortivflow

buck2rogers69
3rd Apr 2008, 21:47
MortivFlow,

Please mate, dont try cry on someone's shoulder, Roger doesn't give a **** mate, you are getting fooled by him and his antics, don't try get some poor guy to sign his life away cause now people are getting promoted, there is no career at airlink, finished!!!! the will screw you and leave you stranded!!!

These promotions are just to little too late I am afraid, the damage has been done and people will not stop leaving, look at those that have left, they not senior capts,they the younger guys, people will not stay at link cause of there kak attitude towards employees, but if you there 5 years and earn 40Grand you can't leave even if you want!!!!

GUYS AND GALS WHAT FOR SAX, 1TIME, SAA, MANGO or COMAIR, but please listen to people who have been there done that and STAY AWAY FROM AIRLINK AT ALL COST!!!!!

VanDriver2003
4th Apr 2008, 06:21
buck2rogers69,

Seems like you have quite an opinion...luckily it is yours and not everybody is entitled to your opinion.

There are people who enjoy the kind of flying at Airlink, even on the Jetstream. It beats the crap out of flying contract in some sh!t hole in darkest Africa.

Seems like your sour grapes is turning into a fine whine.

snotneus
4th Apr 2008, 08:45
B2R69
you seem very negative, i'd really like to know why. Sure, we're all entitled 2 an opinion but you seem 2 be spitting flames. Seems that someone really p!ssed you off.
Yea the F/O pay @ link is crap, we all hate JVJ and he does things which i'm sure are illegel. But what you're saying is a reflection on your fellow pilots, the guy's you are sharing a cockpit with.
The J41 really teaches you 2 fly. 2 do a visual app doing 240 2 6 is something you'll never do again. (and some pilots have never quite hacked that. Ref. ability 2 fly) And then landing on 03L(ink), turning off @ Lima gives me a kick every time. The big jets are already established by 1000' (min) with the checks complete.

BUT what really p!sses me is when management gets involved. An ERJ F/O was promoted as well...2 instructor nogal. Bugger the J41 drivers. And then she can't even fly! There is a total lack of spacial awareness. 2 all ERJ drivers, BEWARE!!!

Thats why i just prefer 2 get in, do my flying and go home.
I still get a kick out of flying my aeroplane!

B2R69, my point is, Link is what YOU make of it. I've made the best thereof, but I have the impression that:
1 You are one of those that can't fly and are embarrased about it;
2 You have wasted your time @ link by only seeing the negative.

If it is #1, i'm sorry. If it's #2, you will prob experiance the same @ your next employer.

B2R69, smile it could be way worse. You could be co-jo on a van in some african sh!thole.

Congrat's to those 4 that were promoted. Show them what link drivers are made of!

buck2rogers69
4th Apr 2008, 12:06
hahaha, u crack me up fellows, why do 240 to 6Nm when u can do 350 till 8, please man, wake the F&^K up boet!!! IS that now cause you can fly, please, do you have to do this to get into a big airline???

All I was saying is that there are way better options out there in the airlines, think what you want!!! with way better training as well, cause its all on its way down at link with people getting upgraded on all fleets with min experience, not just on the ERJ!!!

Enjoy, we'll meet up one day then you can defend your opinion (and its yours) and mine is mine, but where there is smoke there is fire, AND this has never not been like this!!!!!

mortivflow
4th Apr 2008, 12:56
Its true what snotneus said. "Link is what YOU make of it"

About doing 240 2 6 or 380 2 8 is not what i meant about being a good pilot. What i meant by learning to fly is the fact that you operate just as much and if not more than most airlines. Just by this type of exposure you will obviously improve on your flying and link can serve you well, thats if you want to use airlink as a stepping stone. (this is not a competition as to see who's the best pilot etc)

Buck, what do you mean by "Roger doesn't give a **** mate, you are getting fooled by him and his antics, don't try get some poor guy to sign his life away cause now people are getting promoted, there is no career at airlink, finished!!!! the will screw you and leave you stranded!!!"?

In my opinion Rodger has never gone back on his word, he has never lied. In fact he has steered Airlink through thick and thin. We have always had our agreed salarys paid on time etc

In fact im sure that RF and JVJ will welcome you with all your wisdom and insight. I dont think you will but i just thought i would mention it

We have a lot to improve on, but in general Airlink is not a bad place to work for.

mortivflow

sayswho
4th Apr 2008, 14:16
As a previous member of Link circus life (would be a great new title for 'SKYWAYS') I have to say you may wish to heed bucks warnings. If you think RF has never lied to you or misguided you then I’m afraid to say that you are still delusional and are guaranteed with time like so many others before you to come to the realisation that you and everyone else at Link are underpaid for the bull you put up with not to mention the lousy conditions.

As for the 240 2 6 what the hell is that about? I’m sure your also capable of doing a Barrel Roll 1A dep. Are you sure the commuting airlines are for you? Think maybe you should be flicking across the skies in a caravan without radar at night in thunderstorms, seems more up your street. There again you possibly the calibre of driver Link can afford or for that matter get nowadays, the good days are gone and so are the people.
:ok:

skyloone
4th Apr 2008, 14:41
Try that one once with an EU outfit and you'll be sent packing..... in fact with some doing greater than 250 kts below FL100 is going to get you into deep poo! Different world I suppose...

111MOO
4th Apr 2008, 16:43
I have to agree.. Link have 10 resignations this month alone.. so I hear.. Guys on their way all over.. everybody going away! Link going to suffer bigtime.. all RF and JvJ's fault.. Oh and that chic pilot that is now somme a training capt... she went to RF and demanded that she be given the training position.. because there is nobody else!! - bypassed the fleet capt.. and chief pilot.. now we can see who wears the panties! Managment is all pupets... RF talks.. they all jump.. They get called "managment pilots" what a joke!! nobody cares what they say...

Careerpath... what a joke, they do what they want.. they will promote anybody as they feel.. the pilots dont even know what hit them!!

Hear aswell that they are dropping the entry requirments.. now looking for guys and gals below 1000hrsTT... because the highertime pilots know better not to go there...

there are 2 of the 5 JS41 training capt's leaving in the next month or 2!! all gatvol.. only 1ERJ instructor.. now with ass licking chick now also onboard.. now they 2.. for the 146..well thats a seperate clan that dont even mix with the poor JS41 drivers.. apartheid. I also hear the SAFAIR pilots causing lots of problems... always delayed... and complaining about technicals..

I must say I feel sorry for the poor pilots.. mostly good guys.. but you can't teach a old dog new tricks!!

lucky Im not there!!

MOO

nosecone
4th Apr 2008, 19:03
"They get called "managment pilots" what a joke!! nobody cares what they say..."

You would do the same if you were in their shoes. After all RF is the boss

Also if you were the only available instructor you would have also been promoted quickly and some idiot will also be saying to you "only 1ERJ instructor.. now with ass licking chick now also onboard.. "

Hey dude, always put yourself in someones shoes before commenting

nosecone
4th Apr 2008, 19:48
no way dude, you cant just say that cos its far from true

now this time realy put yourself in their shoes and you will see that its nothing like a circus

airlink does however need some TLC

Malagant
4th Apr 2008, 22:34
Maybe old RF should merge with Naturelink then RF, Briers and De Klerk can really F^&%k the monkey`s (crew)..he he :eek:

buck2rogers69
4th Apr 2008, 22:50
Time will tell!!!!

Even taking cadets onto the embraer, WHY cause noone wants to come anymore, why get hired and sign a 3 year bond when the first one leaves next year!!!!

With regarding 240 2 6 etc, who gives a a **** about that, that really doesn't mean you can poll like some of our Hardcore J41 capt thinks!!!

Stick around with your blinkers on mate and you will see something, JUST REMEMBER THE LONGER YOU STAY EARNING PEANUTS WITH REGARDS TO THE OTHERS THE MORE DIFFICULT IT BECOMES TO LEAVE!!!! OH AND YOU MIGHT FLY A NOISY OLD CLAPPED OUT J41 till you die or have 15000hrs on type, HAHAH:D:D:D

Q4NVS
5th Apr 2008, 05:37
240 2 6

I thought it had reference to their taxy speed on a populated apron area:
240 Knots - C2 - C6 - C12.....Oh Sh*t, STOP!!! :E

Link have 10 resignations this month alone..

With another Foreign Airline soon to start recruiting in SA (within weeks), the times for RF will only get seriously tougher. But, there are sure to be other local operators that will also be caught unaware.

Got 2 Love the Global Pilot Shortage...

:zzz:

nemesis mk1
5th Apr 2008, 05:44
Just one observation, that thread of "airlink promotions" seems to be only about the embraer and j41 fleets.
What about the 146 drivers. Are they happy?

nosecone
5th Apr 2008, 05:51
It seems like they are happy although some would like to fly the EMB135 and have a chance to fly the avro RJ
Maybe moving across to the RJ may become possible if they can fly both types, that will be a win for them

At last things are hapening for Airlink (Well done RF):D:D:D

newcrew
5th Apr 2008, 06:41
With another Foreign Airline soon to start recruiting in SA (within weeks), the times for RF will only get seriously tougher. But, there are sure to be other local operators that will also be caught unaware.

who?

thanks

fly safe

111MOO
5th Apr 2008, 12:12
Even more news... heard that 5 cadet pilot got the call a week ago to start 1st May at SAA... but link is stopping it!!! they now have to stay!!!

Guess what.. the cadets are the only guys trained to become Captains!!! - RF phone in another favour at SAA.. and now these poor cadets are stuck with Link for a little longer!!!

Link upto their usual crap... I know for a fact that they have stopped lots of pilots from leaving in the past... they phone a few friends.. and BAM.. you dont get the new job because they need u!!!

For all I care link is a waste of time... and will waste your career!! rather go somewhere else... atleast you will fly something that is usefull in the future!
:p
MOO

buck2rogers69
5th Apr 2008, 19:41
111Moo,

so true, so true!!!!

Let a few people feel cause they can't hear or read the writing on the wall, daar is groot K#K!!

Thanks goodness a few left a while back and turned it down, best decision ever, quiet frankly I would rather fly just hang around on contract or wherever you are before getting into the link bus!!!

If you hav a ATPL(or Subjects) SAX will interview you, they looking, money is good, good guys, well disciplined and you never read crap about them doing **** they shouldn't, excellent SOP's etc!!!!

Smile ad Wave boys, there is another one on its way!!!!

kiross
5th Apr 2008, 23:38
Fresh news. Rumour is that jvj has told a few boys that he has devised a new rostering/duty policy. Once you sign on you are his for the day. If your duty has been completed and they have an extra flight for you, you have to do it. Don't think you can just go home after your rostered duty. Sounds like that charter job in nigeria not so bad anymore. Also heard that a CA completed her duty for the day and got told to stay in ct for extra day. She refused( Because she has a life) and is now being called in for a disciplinary hearing. Soon they (CA's) are going to be unionised too. Good luck with your BS jvj!!! On a more positive note, one of the JS41 training captains withdrew his resignation and is no longer going to Mango:confused:

buck2rogers69
6th Apr 2008, 04:14
Haha, only reason he's not goin is cause he is probably to embaressed to put on 3 bars and be shown that he is not as clever as he thinks he is!!!

JVJ, just hang your boots up, hope the ppl at link don't take all this crap from him!!!

111MOO
6th Apr 2008, 10:09
the training Capt you refer to is actually next on the "list" to go onto the 146, and according to him, he can't take the salary drop to go and fly 737-800's (more that 10k for him).. a real pitty... now he is also stuck with them for life... and all RF and JvJ's crap...

also heard that thay want to bring the 'new' sign-on policies into effect which make you do your duty and then the rest of the time be on standby.. Already doing it with the 146 drivers!!! because they are so short on pilots!!

heard at a mate that according to their opsmanual the combined experience of the flight crew on an aircraft needs to be in excess of 1000hrs on type!! - So all the 146 flights are illigail !!!! and most of the JS41 flights!! - like always Link breaking the rules to make the operation work!:= -

The average time on type at link must be below 500hrs now...

Like I always say.. a change is as good as a holiday!! so stay away!

MOO

Just a job
6th Apr 2008, 16:01
One of the training captains has just told me he had a call from jvj questioning his booking off sick:ugh:.I really did`nt know he was a medical doctor as well as aviation-advisor to the stars. Does this man`s talents know no boundaries? Someone in management told me that the wheels were not coming off at link....he said they were already off and the company is sliding along on it`s chassis! When the C.O.O is calling crew about booking off sick then its plain to see the degeneration into the abyss of chaos and desperation the company is finding itself tumbling into:{. OPS is an unorganised mess,with crew reporting being phoned at 1am to crew a/c to "solve" other problems at other bases.Signing-on is a bit of a laugh at the moment as well-very often the captain,f.o and hostie have different sign-on times for the same flight! The roster is said to be manipulated daily to screw crew over in order to make the schedule work.From what i hear about 15-20 captains short,10 f.o`s, on-going resignations(crew,ops and most recently the security manager,not to mention engineering staff).A once very nice, well-run company..........:(

111MOO
6th Apr 2008, 17:15
all the above TRUE!!! the crew are all gatvol... and now that JvJ got his finger in the pie... he is really pissing off the pilots... from what I hear there atleast another 15 on the "to resign" list next month!!

Oh and now JvJ a medical expert aswell... what a circius at link! Guess that makes me an Astronaut..

They are even using EX-Airlink pilots to do their test flights... no employed crew avaliable to crew the "extra" flights.. and with the Propellers cracking... the JS41 will be not be flying much longer.. Maby thats what they need.. some of thier own medicine.. they screw the crew.. now they are being screwed...

Its just a matter of time.. then we will see a huge mushroom cloud...

Just Heard another Link 911.. on the radio.. and its a 146... another "help is on the way" aerie... normal ops these days..

Guys STAY AWAY!!! Link is bad news!!

kiross
6th Apr 2008, 17:59
:rolleyes:dendronite:rolleyes: Where exactly is this "there" you are refering to? JVJ's new duty policy. You probably think that that so called policy is going to be bilaterally agreed upon:ugh:

mortivflow
6th Apr 2008, 18:04
This is an old problem that is being monitored at the highest level. Those j41s are extremely tough and reliable.
They have served well and are going to contiue to serve for many years to come.
The worst case is that now and then a j41 will have to carry reduced payloads

all airlines suffer breakdowns etc so 911 is not a bad thing

bring it on mr astronaought MOO - bring it on

ufecatun
6th Apr 2008, 18:48
Why did you start this thread with some encouragement and later on your post is rather negative?

ufecatun

kiross
6th Apr 2008, 19:42
ufecatun, welcome to the pprune world. See this is your first time you participate. Yes it is supposed to be positive and that is the sole intent. I suspect that I am not going to be able to give you a satisfactory answer. I suggest you look at previous posts about airlink and make up your own mind as to why that is. After you have read them, my best attempt to answer your question in a nut shell would be: Just trying to hold on to the dream!

Just a job
6th Apr 2008, 20:55
"......which is being attended to at the highest level".:D.Don`t make me laugh-the problem with link is at the highest levels.RF & jvj have lost touch with the realities of their employees and IMHO with the industry as a whole. The airline is functioning in pure desperation mode and being managed with a siege mentality. The shareholders need to get involved here and quickly.The tent pegs are coming loose...and its a big tent.and the wind is picking up...:ooh:

buck2rogers69
6th Apr 2008, 22:23
TO a few of you sucking up in hope off......

I think its time you surelly come to light and realise the facts mate, ppl are talking about link, people in PMB don't even want to fly with them anymore, I personally know and have spoken to ppl that rather travel to durban and fly from there, there are countless delays, flights landing 4hrs late with pax that are fuming and when they land there is no freakin bus for them, no baggage handlers etc, this is not being negative, but surelly realistic, how would you feel arriving 3hrs late, missing your connection and not knowing where u stayin etc,THINGS are a mess there at the moment, take your blinkers off mate, NO AIRLINE IN THE WORLD AS FAR AS I KNOW MAKES YOU FLY THEN WHEN U LAND U GO HOME BUT ARE ON HOME RESERVE, prove me wrong on this, and also tell me who,we not talking about monkey operators. LInk is a big player in the field, but htings are not working, we could write a story on them, they screw new hires on salary, not paying them what other FO's are getting, they dont want to pay people longevity for work thats been done cause they resigned, please this is work done already, they must cough up.

OPS, well thats even a bigger joke, I mean there is 1 guy that is as thick as a brick, try listening out and have a laugh at his RT skills. Decisions can't be made, the ops manager can't even count let alone organise ops, they manipulate rosters at there will, they are short crew, engineering is a F%^K up and they dont even have drivers to drive crew backwards and forwards. the list goes on....

The crew are great guysand gals, but i dont work cause people are nice, I have a house to pay and bills to honour, if you can survive on their ****ty salary then good for you!!!

Just remember that people dont just work for money also, we need to be looked after and have a career, people aren't getting moved to the Jets cause roger is nice, please, they have to move them otherwise they will go, once hes got a few across the whole process will commence again of having to fight for everything. He could not give a rats ass about you and your career, he wants to line he's pocket but soon if he doesn't move a few across he's in big kak, imagine if 10 J41 drivers pack it in and 5ERJ capt they would be totally stuffed!!!

If you can't realise that there is kak happening there, then you to dumb or blind or deaf but its time you acknowledge that there is stuff happening thats not good for people and most importantly the Company( If it folds, thereare lots of hungery mouths out there), by saying this, its important to get a career path etc, BUT THE J41 pilots must not screw their work partners just to get onto a jet, work as a team and stop being selffish about it!!! There is no way you can expect a ERJ/B146 fo to sit for 4 years before moving to the J41 as a capt and lots of other things as well!!! no airline works like this, if link gets a system going, people will be happier and not leave so quickly and they will have to jack up a lot of other things as well.

BUT FIRST YOU ALL NEED TO KICK JVJ's KNEECAPS IN AND THEN KICK HIS ASS RIGHT OUT OF THE OFFICE, CAUSE THAT MAN IS A FREAKIN IDIOT!!!!!!!!

he comes with a **** track record!!!

Till things change, I still maintain that one should stear well clear of link!!!!

kiross
7th Apr 2008, 04:49
buck2rogers69: CAN I PLEEEEEEEAAAASE BUY YOU A BEER?

FatFunny
7th Apr 2008, 10:51
From what appears it seems that the sick is being bullied, the hosties are being victimised, the planes are falling apart, the crew is inexperienced and then JVJ wants to enslave the ppls by making inappropriate changes to conditions of service...

Where did JVJ and RF get their business savvy? The Bob Mugabe school of business?

To make it worse they appear to be pransing about like the Emperor with no clothes. Maybe blinded by their own egos while the company callapses into a screaming heap.

Ironically the solution is so simple... get rid of the one with the monkey brains for business sense.

kiross
7th Apr 2008, 11:35
FatFunny, no joking. I count at least 29 resignations (curret and eminent) and pilots that have left from our last seniority list dated 17 February 2008. That is from a list of 127. By my calculation that is nearly 23% of crew in a period of approximately 3 months. At least it will not be a very big screaming heap.

buck2rogers69
7th Apr 2008, 11:53
The "PAWPAW" may have just then hit the fan!!!!!

Would be interresting to know how many have left in the last year, I guess more than around 50 people!!!!! oh and thats Aircrew, not engineers or ops or headoffice, OH BUT NOTHING IS WRONG AT AIRLINK ITS ROSY!!!!!

Q4NVS
7th Apr 2008, 14:13
The Crew Shortage will Bite...

It bit REX in Australia for the same reasons it is going to bite Link in the VERY near future.

Modus Operandi at REX (Post Crew Shortage): 1 Hour before 1st sign-on it is decided which flights will be manned and which will be cancelled for the day.

nugpot
7th Apr 2008, 15:24
b2r69

NO AIRLINE IN THE WORLD AS FAR AS I KNOW MAKES YOU FLY THEN WHEN U LAND U GO HOME BUT ARE ON HOME RESERVE

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this policy has been in effect at SAX for years. Once you sign on, you are available for the full extent of your FDP. It works for us.

Then again, you might get used once every 2 or 3 years for 2 extra legs and at SAX you get paid extra.........

buck2rogers69
7th Apr 2008, 15:50
Ok, nice, but a least u get paid a bit extra and looked after, link u get a kick in the ass and expected to do it tomorrow again!!

nugpot
7th Apr 2008, 16:06
Ok, nice, but a least u get paid a bit extra and looked after, link u get a kick in the ass and expected to do it tomorrow again!!

I completely agree with your sentiment. I just disagreed with your statement of fact.

I think the chickens are finally coming to roost after the closing of the APA branch of ALPA. Good luck with Solidarity!

111MOO
7th Apr 2008, 19:29
Guys, Its sad to say but I think everybody agree that the time has come for companies to realize that if you shake a tree no more pilots will fall out..

Competition is tough.. everywhere more aeries coming... incl Link.. but experienced pilots know better and rather take better jobs..

Link is just not seeing the big picture.. and now that most of the pilots are leaving.. Solidarity will also be in danger.. most of the new pilots are not joining because no leadership.. all these guys have either been fired or are leaving/has left already...

Heard that the "Boss Managment" pilot have RED warning lights on but dont know what to do... RF and JvJ rather take more cadets because they can get 3 for the price of 1...

Link will be without training capts on the JS41 soon.. and as we all know thats the money converter... the erj's are just sucking the bank dry.. and the 146 is somewhere inbetween... considering they were build ages ago.. and have lots of technicals..

All I can say is that its sad to see this hapening.. LINK use to be an awsome company..pitty really..

Moo

AirwayBlocker
7th Apr 2008, 19:52
You guys all remember the fake JVJ who was posting on PPrune a while ago.....

Well I'm starting to think Dendronite is the real thing!

nocandoo
8th Apr 2008, 03:15
AirwayBlocker, it is possible that mortivflow, dendronite and ufecatun are all him. A desperate attempt to try and salvage what he might consider to be left of the company after he has :mad::mad: it over.:= RF you surely can't be so oblivious as to what's happening in your company. Perhaps you want to close the company and contract the flying part of it out so that you don't have to deal with the labour issues.I wonder how the investors would feel about that. It is blatantly obvious that you have no problem watching jvj(:mad::mad:) run this company into the ground. Why can SAX do it. Good wages,good conditions, good relations. I bet their training cost is lower than link's even though it's of a higher standard. Yes you read it-Higher standard. More recurrence training and less initials. Theres a new concept for you RF. Try the following if you want to save it all. Give jvj the boot. Listen to the people so desperately hoping that you might take the compay back to the harmonious past and combining it with the future. We know you are capable of that.(but you have to want to-Do you?) Try rewarding for hard work rather than a whip to enforce it. Imagine people desperately trying to get a job at link rather than desperately trying to get a job out of link. Comair is doing it. Their mission from what I hear is to be the last company to close in RSA due to a pilot shortage.(News from you ex employees now at Comair-Very happy bunch of chaps by the way) Guess where the cv's are flocking to! RF, your people can either work for or against you. It is your call:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Avi8tor
8th Apr 2008, 06:12
Sadly the slide at Link started 8 yrs ago when RF lost his mind and elected to fight the pilots on the crewing of the ERJ's. Once he started down that path, it slowly became a one way street. To change tack would be to admit defeat.

He hoped that by putting management people in place that would buy into his idiot ideas he could make it all fly. JvJ seems to be the latest idiot in this long line.

I think now he is in denial, even though the writing is truly on the wall.

The truth is i have studied Airlink and seen the company grow from the magnum days to where it is now. Airlink has been a lesson for me too. Its been a lesson on 'what to do' and 'MORE of what NOT to do'. The creed has been 'penny wise pound foolish'.

There are a lot of frustrations at the moment which is being attended to at the highest level.As the problems were created at the highest level, we all await their latest idiot idea with baited breath.

Q4NVS
8th Apr 2008, 06:14
Where can one go in south africa?

Well, AFAIK SAX and Comair are permanently recruiting...
(The Ex-Linker's at SAX say it is/was "The Best Move Ever".)

nocandoo
8th Apr 2008, 07:11
Then prove it. Fire that stupid lunatic you empoyed to "fix" the company. He is ruining it!!! We will gladly back you RF! If you will only back us too!!! But if you don't............

111MOO
8th Apr 2008, 12:15
Busted!! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Just a job
8th Apr 2008, 18:35
Like I said in a previous link-related thread,now is the time for some deep soul-searching on RF`s part. I don`t mean the philanthropic,Tibetan style soul-searching,I mean a quiet sit-down by himself to contemplate the future of Airlink and its place in this industry.He can choose this continual path of conflict:= with all of his employees or he can start trying to hammer in the tent pegs with the help of all of his staff.:ok:.Surely he can see at what point relations with the pilots started to slide into the abyss:ugh:.A CEO employs the apparently most hated person in aviation and expects relations with the most important(business-wise at the moment)employee group to improve to smiles all-round? Sorry,but that does`nt sound like sharp business acumen to me.I think he needs to humble himself and have a heart to heart with some pilots.Either that,... or we need to get the union reps to invite the shareholders to an extaordinary pilot meeting....:ooh:

nocandoo
8th Apr 2008, 19:05
:ok:Just say the word. I have their contact details.:ok:

nocandoo
8th Apr 2008, 20:30
dendronite. I apologise if you are'nt jvj. If you are RF and want to save the day, let's talk. We will come to the party if you do. If you are senior management (apart from jvj-mismanagement) then talk some sense into RF while there might still be a dim light at the end of the tunnel. RF, dare I say that you could almost be regarded a hero if you kick this jackass out of Link.

FatFunny
9th Apr 2008, 05:52
The business of Link is people. People flying people.

On the ground and in the air there are people involved in the process of making this venture work. If you start messing with the people then you start sabotaging your own company. Essentially shooting it in the gut.

Why would any investor be interested in a company that does this? Why would any owner employ some one that sends this precious commodity packing?:eek:

kiross
9th Apr 2008, 08:05
On a more positive note. I just heard 2 more captains got their starting dates at Comair and one F/O got an interview with them. Another captain also resigned to start at Mango next month. A second F/O got his interview wih Cathay.I suspect a few more promotions to P1 are eminent. Good luck gents!!

tuirbo tim
9th Apr 2008, 10:15
Heard from a friend of mine in SAA that after a feedback with Khaha on Monday that they are now recruting and some guys have been invited to interviews and psycho's. Can anyone confirm this, as I may want to come back to SA, am tired of the sandpit!!!

nugpot
9th Apr 2008, 11:18
SAA has phoned quite a few people I know for interviews.

nocandoo
9th Apr 2008, 18:10
The awfull truth is that the guys are so overworked that they are calling in with fatique. One captain got booked off for a week. The props are coming off, several blades at a time!

VortexGen300
9th Apr 2008, 18:24
Well let me now be bold -

I hope by this time everyone has vented their anger -

My Question: :)"Where can one sends your CV if you wants to works for Link?" :D

- Me thinks:

:rolleyes:"If you can't fight them - join them - and maybe become likes them?" :E

You thinks it will works??

VortexGen300

nocandoo
9th Apr 2008, 19:51
VortexGen300: Good for you boet. If you click on most other airline websites, you come across a link. A very special link. It normally reads "Join us" or "careers". Airlink has no site like that or else its just a secret. If you want to work for link, you come to the 4th floor in the south wing of the O R Thambo international airport. You then find a door that reads "Airlink". On the door there is a sign saying "No CV's accepted here". You have now arived at the correct place. Ask someone to slip it under the chief pilot's door. Do not hand it to your buddy at link to place it on the right pile. I do not know a single person who even got a call that way. Really! Good luck and welcome to the hotel california!

Just a job
9th Apr 2008, 22:28
The 'right pile'? At link?There is no right pile.In fact there`s no pile.:OGo through the door marked"no cv`s accepted" tell them you want to be a pilot for link....they`ll sign you up,as long as you can identify a fixed wing from a helicopter at least 7 times out of 10 your made....:ok:

oerlikon
9th Apr 2008, 23:01
How long will it take for Link to start paying pilots on a Dollar scale? After all, if you are working on a Rand scale your salary seems to diminish on a weekly basis.

It would seem that the minimum starting salary right now, in order to buy an average house, own an average car (one, not two) and live a comfotable life is around R50 000.00 a month.

This should be the co-pilot's salary.

After all, the Captain should own two cars.

When are pilots going to start asking for what they are worth?

Kennytheking
10th Apr 2008, 04:00
Not quite sure what the fuss is about..........

Airlink is a stepping stone and like any stepping stone, you use it to cross the river, even if you still get your feet wet.

I would like to risk a comment here and state that none of the resignations at link are guys standing on their principles and saying they would rather be out on the steet. I bet they all have offers from bigger better airlines(ie the next stone).

Most people at link are on the way up and management accepts this......that is why they have a training bond scheme in place. With all due respect to those who wish to make a career at link....well, you gonna get what you deserve.

The guys that are at link or are thinking of taking a job there should be focused on their careers, not their terms and conditions. Frankly, if you get an offer to fly the 146 or ERJ, you should be taking that over a cushy Dash8 job. It will get you ahead quicker.......

Q4NVS
10th Apr 2008, 07:51
How long will it take for Link to start paying pilots on a Dollar scale?

When the passengers start paying for their tickets on a "Dollar Scale", I guess...

nocandoo
10th Apr 2008, 11:43
Just a job, that was last years requirements. It has dropped to 4 out of 10 now.

111MOO
10th Apr 2008, 15:04
hear at a friend today that the ops guy is forcing the pilots to do illigal flights!! to exceed FDP and to continue with the flight knowing that its unsafe!!!

Madness... and the best is that he manupulate the young pilots (new capt's) because they dont know better.. and are too scared to say NO!

They must get rid of all they guys in ops.. there must be over 5 of them at one time "operational" but only 1 doing the job... hear she might be leaving aswell... nextdoor to us at SAX.

I cant understand how pilots or actually anybody wants to work for Link?? After that JS41 that actually lost a nosewheel on takeoff.. or what about the one that never got the nosewheels out in the first place.. and did the emergency landing in durbs...

this time.. everything is going to come off... .. Link is slowly sinking.. sad but true..:D

Goffel
10th Apr 2008, 18:43
Do you think that since they are supposedly desparate at the mo, they might employ an oke from the CAA.

Goffel..:{

FatFunny
11th Apr 2008, 13:45
Some advice on talking to ops (or any one else at Link you feel this is appropriate for):

1. Tell the person you are speaking to that you are recording the coversation;
2. Actually record the conversation; and
3. If they do not agree to a recording ask them for a formal letter.

Now you have evidence of your conversation or their demands. All imporant when you are building your case for the CCMA.

Intimidation and discrimination (whether on health status, age, gender, etc) is unacceptable. Even if they put it in writing and every one agrees to it, they still cannot act against the law which specifically prohibits any form of discrimination and intimidation.

They are playing with fire and this bookworm is waiting for the explosion :8

nocandoo
11th Apr 2008, 18:18
There is a new socalled sick leave policy that states you now have to fax or email a doctors letter through to airlink within 6 hours of phoning in sick. I wonder if link thinks that the labour law does not apply to them. They also state that they can at their descretion insist that you now go to a doctor of their choice. Have they ever heard of doctor patient confidentiality. They also state that you can be forced to work on your off days to make up for the sick leave day.

You have got to go and get a mental check up if you are actually considering joining link. Really!!! That charter job is now becoming a seriously good alternate if not another airline.

Romeo E.T.
11th Apr 2008, 18:42
There is a new socalled sick leave policy that states you now have to fax or email a doctors letter through to airlink within 6 hours of phoning in sick. I wonder if link thinks that the labour law does not apply to them. They also state that they can at their descretion insist that you now go to a doctor of their choice. Have they ever heard of doctor patient confidentiality. They also state that you can be forced to work on your off days to make up for the sick leave day.

This is absolutely in contradiction of the labour relations act, and cannot be enforced at all........don't even let them "bamboozle" you okes into this scheme.

awful truth
11th Apr 2008, 18:44
Put yourself in their shoos, you would do the same thing. If a small percentage of your staff members are conveniently calling in sick on a friday afternoon when they are off on the weekend and you are called out to fly on your off day. You would be pissed off especialy when that is almost ongoing with those individuals.
I know that these duckers can get sick notes from their buddies. "No problem i will just call in sick"
I tell you one thing at Airlink, all you need to do is diligently go to work and enjoy it. Maybe one day you are sick - no problem you will have nothing to worry about.
If youre a sickheaded palooka that calls in sick and naais his maatjie then the f:mad:c deserves to fly on his off days. Pitty these c:mad:ts dont leave.
unfortunately a nice soft policy allows for the sick headed buckin rother duking chancers to take advantage
SO TO THE FEW THAT TOW THE LINE AND DO AN HONEST DAYS WORK WE HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT

nosecone
11th Apr 2008, 18:51
Thanx for putting in perspective.:D The truth is i never call in sick but i have to fly for "other people" i find it anoying. I hope the hardassed policy works.

The sky is a nice place 2B:ok:

nocandoo
11th Apr 2008, 20:09
awful truth. Nice of you to participate again. Good argument and I am sure it holds some water. This is just one of those typical cases where the small minority buggers it up for the majority. It does happen in many aspects in life. I do not believe that link has the right to force any policy onto an employee that cleary contradicts the law.
PS: try edit your spelling of "shoos". We might just get the impression that you are that stupid OPS manager.

kiross
11th Apr 2008, 20:16
Come on chaps. Lets keep it civil. I heard the union will be on top of this one. Give them a chance before we end up saying something we might regret.

nocandoo
11th Apr 2008, 20:26
The union is falling flat. The price RF had to pay the previous union shop steward for firing him wrongfully was a bargain. Only 18 months salary for breaking the union's back. I hear the last union shop steward resigned recently(from the company). I feel very sorry for the poor chaps left behind at link when the union fades away completely. jvj will have a field day with them.

buck2rogers69
11th Apr 2008, 22:01
There will be noone left to have a field day with except himself, Maybe roger can fly a few routes in his kingair!!!

And those that fly on their off days, you have just as much of a effect as those calling in sick, you also screwing the system and there are a few at Airlink that just bend over backwards and screw the others, ie calling in sick and flyin on off days are as bad as eachother in my eyes.

BUT, MAYBE people would not call in sick if they were given a nice weekend off, not a 2100 sign off on friday evening and then 0515am sign on on monday, thats not a weekend off in my eyes!!!!

The wheels sound like they already off and its crisis management at the moment!!!!hahaha roger, he who laughs last shall laugh the longest, remember your little statement a few years ago......u.......!!!!!

taxilight
11th Apr 2008, 22:27
Think people. It is the great plan. P:mad:s the people off and they will leave. If someone opposed you, work him out. High staff turnover? Yes. Soon only the desperate will remain behind. Yes you might cancel a few flight. Once you have all those out that oppose you, you can do with the rest what you want. Then employ new ones with new employment contracts and conditions. Make new rules and people will be ok with it because its what they know. You might lose a bit of cash in the short run, but in the long run you score all the way. Brilliant!!!!! Certainly not humane but brilliant. Capitalism with a j..............:suspect:

fly4link
12th Apr 2008, 06:46
If youre interested in flying for airlink then send me a pm and i will forward you an email address so that your cv will get attention. This is my initiative. Im doing this to assist those who are trying to apply but they just dont know where to go. I know what its like to knock on a door and get no answers.
Once again this is my initiative so dont slam Airlink be free to slam me.

Looking forward to hear from you
fly4link

ps its not as easy as you can identify a fixed wing from a helicopter at least 7 times out of 10 your made....:ok:

but we are fair

If you want you can send your cv to an alternate email adress [email protected] and i will forward this to the right person.

111MOO
12th Apr 2008, 08:34
yip.. all true.. the guys staying behind at link are the guys that either no other airline want, or that are not doing an effort to leave.. they just along for the ride... on rodgers back!

Guys, you must make a change! I personally think that the grass is greener on the other side! ank me, Ive been there!!

Remenber what rodger and jvj said a few months ago.. If you dont like all the new "RULES" then leave... well thats what most of the pilots are doing!

for roger.. well.. 3new cadets cost him the same of 1 normal F/O.. more money to spare for his boat in plet that he only uses once a year..

guys you are being scr:mad:d bigtime... Everybody else are also looking.. thy handing in your cv at comair.. atleat you will fly something that is worth something in the longrun.. where is a JS41 going to get you..? maby HongKong defence force??:D or what about an ERJ? - not even 20 000kg.. worthless in the longrun..

Just a job
12th Apr 2008, 11:33
Fly4Link said'I know what its like to knock on a door and get no answer'.
Yeah,so do we.....No ones ever in their friggin` office! When i`ve been in the administrative area and a potential pilot walks in and asks me to direct him to the Chief Pilot ,i turn this colour:\ with embarrassment. What do i say? "Sorry, i have`nt seen him in his office more than twice in 2 months".(no b.s!)Still, i think thats another RF trait - keep management unavailable to the minions.That way if you don`t hear of any problems then there are no problems! Right? Eer yeah,i suppose.Keep the Chief Pilot flying relentlessly and hey,presto! No problems reported. Well we`ll solve that they said,after the pilots complained-we`ll create an 'assistant chief pilot position':ok:.Guess what? Have`nt seen him in weeks either.:D:ugh:.I`m afraid the good `ol ostrich syndrome is thriving at Airlink.(Look up the definition of 'ostrich"-its all very amusing............)

Propellerpilot
12th Apr 2008, 15:15
I sent in my CV - I actually received following statement by the Deputy Chief Pilot (no alternate adress needed fly4link, but if you can get me an interview drop me a PM and I'll resend my details to you...):

Thank you for the interest shown in Airlink.

Your information will be kept on file. Please update your CV every 6 months.

Regards

Fair enough - at least a standard response and common courtesy, better than nothing.

I've been on permanent standby for the past one and a half years, if the phone rings, I fly - so it would make no difference to me, if I'd suddenly encounter to sacrifice an off-day or two, what a joke. It's a personal thing, if you don't like it, then it might be time for a company change-the only thing that might change a personal situation for the better in this world and keeps us on our balls. Flexibility is the virtue of our time. All within limits of safety and the law however-in the long term the company will not profit by streching the limits as the record will go public one way or the other. But that is another typically African problem: the unability to do long term planning and just focusing at the most possible short term gain for the guys at top. But if that's the way they handle it, they will loose softskills and personal value as well - because then it will just become a stepping stone for better places.

nugpot
12th Apr 2008, 16:03
and asks me to direct him to the Chief Pilot

Link has a Chief Pilot??

Just a job
12th Apr 2008, 17:06
:ok::ok::ok::):):Onice one

taxilight
12th Apr 2008, 18:05
All within limits of safety and the law however-in the long term the company will not profit by streching the limits as the record will go public one way or the other.
Propellerpilot- If that was only the case. Come and fly to the limit for a few months and sometimes exceed it. Then come and talk again. Enjoy your last days at charter or contract. You will miss it.
The extacy of that first airline job does not last long at link.:{

111MOO
13th Apr 2008, 09:36
link needs pilots.. and lots of them.. heard the other day that they have guys that got the thumbs up during the interview.. but Doc Horn dont have open times to help the pilots for Psycos.. maby he knows also to stay ways??

So what does link do... they wait.. and wait.. pilots are leaving... but they wait... cleaver..

If I was link I would employ 50 pilots at once, outsource the training and Bam.. but who am I, remember nobody really cares there anyway..

The countdown timer has started... ETA.. soon..boom mushroom. then we will see them cancelling more flight.. or as they put it.. combining flights.. like the MalaMala flights.. Aerie leaves JHB to do Nelspruit and back... but a small change in plan.. on the way wack go via MalaMala to pick up some more pax.. like a Taxi.. yet the poor pax leaving Nelspruit for Jhb dont even know about the Unplanned detour... the pilots only got informed at signon anyway... Circius!!

My advice for any charter pilot that wants to join the airlink.. its not an airline.. just a big charter operation.. rather go to nationwide.. atleast u will earn more... and fly something that can loose an engine and still make it back safely... even if its 30year old...:yuk:

Q4NVS
13th Apr 2008, 13:19
Aerie leaves JHB to do Nelspruit and back... but a small change in plan.. on the way wack go via MalaMala to pick up some more pax.. like a Taxi..

My advice for any charter pilot that wants to join the airlink.. its not an airline.. just a big charter operation..

Exactly the reason why the Charter guys/girls will feel right at home...

taxilight
14th Apr 2008, 05:48
From a jetstream captain's mouth. He just got offered a job at Ryanair. Fast track command on a 738( after 500 hours P2). The world is surely opening up!

Q4NVS
14th Apr 2008, 07:19
He just got offered a job at Ryanair...The world is surely opening up!

Yes, but so is the price of Crude Oil...:ugh:

Ryanair to ground around 20 aircraft this winter
By Vicky Moores

Irish budget carrier Ryanair is planning to ground around 20 aircraft this winter to counter the impact of spiralling fuel costs. Ryanair is embarking on an intensive cost-cutting drive for its 2008-09 financial year as its fuel costs threaten to widen by €300 million ($474.5 million), pushing its profits down by up to 50%.

Speaking during the French Connect Low Cost Forum in Courchevel, Ryanair deputy CEO Michael Cawley warned of tough conditions to come this winter.

He says: “This winter is going to be very difficult. We will put 20 aircraft on the ground for the winter because it’s more profitable. We would just lose a lot of money [operating them], burning fuel.”

The carrier grounded seven of its 40 aircraft at London Stansted during the winter just completed, saying increased airport charges made it more profitable to ground the aircraft during the winter than to operate them.

VortexGen300
14th Apr 2008, 14:25
Well we are now approaching the European Summer - so soon that 500 hours will be flown.

Go for it -

Eish - I wish it was me - earning in Euro or GBP will surely change my situation - yes I know the cost of living in those parts are higher - but so are the salaries!

VG300

111MOO
15th Apr 2008, 04:19
yip europe companies looking for js41 driver.. and THEY will pay for you JAR licence (about 10 000pounds incl books and sim..) providing you sign a training bond with them for 3 years.. soos good to me.. easy way of getting into europe..

Ryanair is the lowcost version of link in europe.. but easyjet and bmi also slowly opeing up.. more link pilots on their way across there soon..

validation valid for 1year but you have all the suppost of getting your JAR licence.. not like our silly CAA..

Tin-Tin
17th Apr 2008, 08:40
I am glad I am not flying a Dash 8!!:8

nocandoo
17th Apr 2008, 16:44
Good for you Tin-Tin. If you were flying one in sunny RSA it would not be the worst thing that can happen to you.

techman12
18th Apr 2008, 05:41
NEWS JUST IN!!

Airlink confirmed that they will be parking a Jetstream 41 the end of the month!! Not enough crew!! and cant find qualified crew to fly for them!!:ugh:

average of 10-15pilots leaving a month, mostly captains.. hardly any employements..

do your calcalations.. Link is sinking... like RF's boat..glugglug..

This is the first aerie to be parked.. more to follow in the near future..
also hear that they are trying to get some of Naturelink pilots.. the guys/gals that are are rated on the E145's.. which they will never get.. similar to the E135.. they are trying to to save sim and precious time$$

:confused::confused::confused::ooh::ooh::eek:

sayswho
18th Apr 2008, 09:33
hear that they are trying to get some of Naturelink pilots

bet thats not comming cheap - why doesnt Rodger the Dodger just pay his employees correctly and offer decent conditions instead of trying to put out fire with fuel, what a :mad: bunch of idiots. As for the NatureLink guys, careful thats getting pretty close to crossing the picket lines - you doing an injustice to the aviation industry by stepping in.

VortexGen300
18th Apr 2008, 11:06
I have to say I don't know the company and the only "contact" I have is that my AB-Initio Instructor is/was working there (I lost contact with him) and another friend who recently started with them.

I am just a bit worried - if Link were so bad - why have they been able to stay in business - might only be by the sheath of there pants but still?

If they were so bad why did all the guys/girls go there in the first place?

Well maybe it was the guys/girls that needed a stepping stone - a place to get into the system? Now they are moving on - and now suddenly instead of being honest and saying it was a stepping stone they are trying to make it out as if Link were the "culprits"? Well it may even be that management discovered this years ago - and started to operate accordingly. (low pay, training bonds, rostering) Why should it be that the guys that link are compared to not have the same trouble or problems. Well it might just be that they are all operating aircraft that are not percieved as stepping stones and therefore less prone to loose staff as fast as Link.

Employees have problems with management at airlines and other industries all over the show - often because of rapid growth and stubborness on both patries side and problems associated with the operation of the industry -

Dare I say often it is also because of employees not being honest about their own expectations (like "I see Link as a stepping stone" but trying to convince the interview party that they see Link as their ultimate place to work) and then to try and save face - all sorts of problems (real as well as percieved and stirred) are used as the suposed cause of a termination of a relation.

I must say I am awed by the fact that the management from Link are not getting into this debate - maybe they are just in a tight spot

I will agree that working conditions might be bad at some places (but read the threads elsewhere where crew were flying up to 200+ hours in 30 days just to keep the wheels running - says something about there commitment to their job) - however the conditions will not be altered by aggressively discouraging people to to work there - it will only become worse -

So when one has an issue with management - sort it out - or if you percieve it as impossible to resolve - leave them - but why make it misirable for everyone left behind?

I am of the opinion that this might just come back and bite the specific attitude.

Something to think about? or have I missed something obvious?

Stirred
VG300

taxilight
19th Apr 2008, 16:15
Dear RF. Thank you for the letter posted on the board. :D:D You make some valid points. I especially like the part about the previous link drivers in contact with you stating that link was great. That is the current drivers' view as well. It is just that that is changing very fast hence the turmoil at the moment. We( Yes, I speak on behalf of many!!!-but not all:sad:) would like to have the same view in the future. It is not going to be the case if YOUR right hand man keeps on upsetting the applecart the way he does. We would like to share this with you in person. It is just that you are not listening to us. Nor your chief pilot(Wish he was ours as well). Never around and we never hear from him. We also want link to be a great place. The way it used to be. It is ultimately in your hands. Most of us are just pasing through. You determine how fast!

techman12
20th Apr 2008, 12:37
I agree.. Link use to be a nice company.. Link managment must get their act together..

here are some of my recomendations..

1. Use the career path... dont bypass pilots.. and dont LOOK for loop holes.. just honour the basic rule.. according to the list.. no shortcuts..
2. Honour the guys that never call in sick..
3. stop putting stuiped letters on the board.. post them here for everybody to read.. so that the non-link (future to be) pilots know what they are letting them in for..
4. Give the chief pilot an office job.. like all the other airlines.. so that the pilots can actually meet him... (yip some dont even know how he looks!!)
5. stop taking pilots money for training bonds..
6 and don't OVERWORK your pilots!!! 1000hrs on the JS41 per year... thats a no-no... give them more time off like the other airlines!

Then Link would be what it use to be! , so RF and JvJ.. We are waiting for your reply.. now that we know we have your attention.

VortexGen300
20th Apr 2008, 13:41
Hi there

I am glad you want to seem me in the position you propose - maybe I would do a better job than the guy you think I am ? := (Can you actually offer me the position - without an interview?)

On second thoughts, although I'm not a 20 something wanabee but someone with quite some life experience, I don't have enough experience in aviation management to venture into such an undertaking - if you have read my posts elsewhere on dubious practises in Africa....

I just don't see the point of guys working for a company, complaining about conditions, and then actively discouraging others to work for the said company, while that will be the only way their conditions might stand a chance to improve.

Maybe the issue should be - how can I improve conditions for me and other guys working here? But then again that will require me to be a team player and that seems to be beyond the scope of normal activity of the average pilot that I am.

But then again the more guys running away the more opportunities there will be for others?

Greetings
VG300

buck2rogers69
20th Apr 2008, 14:13
VortexGen,

You have missed something obvious, cause you must be blind or deaf, it may be a steppinng stone, BUT does that make it right for them to screw one. Most of the opinions that are voiced here are actual concern shown with regards to ones career and the long term serviving of Airlink!!! People ae saying that the wheels are coming off, ie it will close down if it continues like this!!!!!

Being a stepping stone airline surelly does not mean that you around for a few years and close down does it?? Am i missing something??

I think its fine if they want to be a steeping stone, BUT just becareful that you dont get stepped on so many times that the stone wares through, cause then it is over, and I am afraid LInk really needs to change a few things to stop people stepping on this thing at a rapid rate, cause it is almost done!!

And 1 last thing, its not only the JS41 guys that fly hard fellow, the ERJ guys are also doing there 950hrs a year!!!

eish
20th Apr 2008, 14:51
C'mon guys - I work over 2100 hours a year and do not have an assistant conveniently next to me to share the workload! What are you complaining about?:p

techman12
20th Apr 2008, 15:20
It's not a joke.. you get overworked at link!!:ok::eek:

nocandoo
20th Apr 2008, 16:57
eish: You need to go and read up on the airlaw.
Vortexgen. I don't think taxilight's comment is aimed at you. There really is a letter on the board from RF. He/she might just be aimimng it at RF:ugh:

FatFunny
20th Apr 2008, 17:07
VortexGen, how can you even comment if you don't work for Airlink. You have no idea how we are being abused.
Yes, abused. I am sick of it and ready to strike.

reptile
20th Apr 2008, 17:25
C'mon guys - I work over 2100 hours a year and do not have an assistant conveniently next to me to share the workload! What are you complaining about?

True.....If however you should fall asleep at your desk - still clutching your calculator - the chances of your offices ending as a pile of burning metal is decidedly slim.

Something you and the rest of the bean counters should keep in mind.

eish
20th Apr 2008, 18:18
I agree that to have your c:mad:k on a block by shareholders demanding better performance of the company and risking being fired is a lot less stressfull than an uncontrolled descend into terrain. Just pulling your legs guys - back to the thread.

eish -the flying beancounter

VortexGen300
20th Apr 2008, 18:39
Guys -
Don't get me wrong - I am not condoning any abuse & over working & under paying - I am just asking some questions? Some might be difficult but eish - there are few options to get into the line and after all is said - one has to start somewhere?

Thank you guys anyway for an insight into the situation at Link.

Stirred?
VG300

Shrike200
20th Apr 2008, 20:13
Fine, but you were basically implying that it's O.K. for a 'stepping stone' airline to blatantly abuse it's employees because 'they have to start somewhere'. That's just plain wrong, so naturally some took offence. Companies can choose to operate as they see fit, but this is what happens. Link are clearly sailing too close to the wind regarding their HR policies, and they lose as a result. Their choice.

flux
20th Apr 2008, 21:13
Training does not come cheap! Guys have to keep moving, soon they will wake up to the fact that you do not get a guy up and running overnight. You have two to three months to wait, it will cost them in the end, and it is so easily avioded.

Avi8tor
21st Apr 2008, 05:22
Airlink was truly a great place to work. The nature of the job makes it a half day job. Due to the quick turn arounds the average duty day was less than 6 hrs. Also maybe 2 night stops a month.

Link's sector were 1.1 hrs blocks to blocks, and you did 4 sectors a day. The target was 900hrs a yr. So with leave/sim/training you could only work 19 days in 28. With every second weekend off, as the schedule required less than 1/2 the crew.

The training was good and Link guys had a very good reputation in the industry, even worldwide. The flying was nothing short of spectacular. A J41 in HMS Nelspruit was the best bang for your aviation buck anywhere. Loads of fun visual approaches and a WHOLE mix non precision approaches.

The salaries were cleverly structured that the top 50% (yrs 3+) of the captains had pretty much industry leading salaries(golden handcuff). That guaranteed a core of captains. This was cross subsidized by lower salaries for the cadets and F/O's. But that didn't matter either because commands came in 2-3 yrs. So in a 5 career at Link your were BETTER off that SAX/Comair.

This was all created with a strong union and receptive management. It all made business sense too. Never sure why RF lost the recipe.

techman12
21st Apr 2008, 14:00
yip link use to be 1 of the best for a pilot to be.. sad to see it all slipping away:hmm:

FREIGHTMAN
22nd Apr 2008, 17:43
Reading this thread, its clear that Airlink are going through a really bad patch on the people management side.

Talking to a few pilots from there, one can see that the approach to people management is clearly wrong. Instead of putting people first and addressing people issues professionally, Link management tends to adopt a heavy handed approach which allienates the workforce even more.

Apparently the Flight Attendants are also extremely disgruntled and jumping ship at the first opportunity. A new contract was introduced, forcing them to take a massive pay cut. Some of the best ones had no choice but to move on.

Seems to me that Airlink Management need to seriously review their people management strategies. In a business that serves customers, looking after and nurturing your workforce is vital. And by looking after, I don't necessarily mean paying more. I mean having systems in place to build a culture of loyalty and commitment to the organisation. Currently these sorts of systems are non-existent at Airlink. Instead of getting to the root of the absenteesim problem, management is instead tackling the problem inappropriately by phoning employees if they are off sick.

I hear that management often appeals to the workforce in written communication for commitment and loyalty. Not possible in such an adversarial employee vs management culture.

Airlink Management should go and read "NUTS". A great book about an airline that truely values its people and as a result, the people will go to the ends of the earth for the airline.

ITS REALLY THAT SIMPLE!

Shrike200
22nd Apr 2008, 20:38
What you say makes perfect sense - it's just that they won't do it. It's that simple!

taxilight
23rd Apr 2008, 19:25
the guys and girls are currently signing a bunch of group grievances. They are seriously p:mad::mad:d off with management. And the hosties are also getting their act together and joining the union. Soon they will be sending that chinese bag of :mad::mad: back to her hole. I hear that it is standard practice for them to get a letter of warning soon after joining just to be able to fire them if they step out of line. The last 2 that got fired last week was for leaving a fruit juice in the wrong place. Known as "not following company procedures". All because they have a life and were really unable to help out by staying another day in cape town. Dear uncle "Rodge" IF YOU DON'T GET RID OF THAT SACK OF :mad::mad: SOON YOUR INVESTORS, THE MEDIA AND CAA ARE GOING TO START FINDING OUT WHATS GOING ON IN THE COMPANY. YOUR LAST CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nocandoo
23rd Apr 2008, 19:40
:D:D:DWell said taxilight:D:D:D Hope the union gets that strike certificate soon. Ad hoc is scary! Hoped it would not get to that but does not look like RF wants to listen.

buck2rogers69
23rd Apr 2008, 21:28
Go For It Guys And Gals, Take Them To The Cleaners!!!!! They Are A C&*(h Of B&*#s, Dont Take There Promises And Crap A Minute Longer, Strike Till He Fixes All His Crap, Ie Dont Work In Hope That He Will Honour HIS Promises. If He Doesnt Do It Straight Away Let Him Feel. Dont Let His Stories Of New Aircraft Etc Effect Any Decisions.

Get The Investors In And Explain Exactly What These Clowns Are Doing With There Money, They Dont Know About These Crazy Contracts The Poor Girls Are Signing Etc. Nether Do They Know About The Pilots Etc, Trust Me They Dont, Its A Small World!!! Look What Happened To Comair When They Had Meetings With The Real Bosses (investors) They Got What They Wanted And What They Should Have Been Getting Paid!!!

Bring Rf, Cwy, Jvj And Gang To The Sword!!!!! Its Time For Them!!!!

techman12
24th Apr 2008, 06:47
good guys go for it!

TooBadSoSad
24th Apr 2008, 09:00
Is the main culprit not JVJ? Ask any of the SAA flight ops management, Chief Pilot, Chief Training etc what the worse thing is that has happened to SAA and flight ops in the last 10 years and they will mention three initials, J V J.

oompilot
24th Apr 2008, 14:34
Glancing through this thread and a recent thread on the wonders of Naturelink, these two operators have management teams, or should we rather say, have ‘Third Reich’ teams, who both seem to be perfect candidates for Dale Carnegie’s book on ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’.

My guess is that their nasty behavior is due to the greedy upper echelon and owners refusing to accept a changing market place in the demand for flight crew. With this in mind and their desperation to keep crew in subservient conditions and their back pockets heavy, are leading to them becoming horrid people.

As Dr Phil says, look behind all that, anger and ugliness and see what drives these people and help them. Well, anyway that’s what he says you should do, but I’m not sure anyone could help people as far gone as these.
They’re like a form of the Mugabe virus, desperate to rule with an iron fist and keep all the winnings for themselves.
They are after all ……(drum roll)….. Super Heroes…..(cymbals):}

techman12
24th Apr 2008, 17:14
Just got told by a friend that they Threatened him if he didn't come and fly.. apparently the daily flight ops lady that's "incharge" phoned him and told him that he must come and fly.. if he doesn't she will put JVJ on him and mark him as AWOL !!:bored:

madness.. in the circius..

Just a job
25th Apr 2008, 02:17
Well,apparently the 'daily flight ops lady',as you put it is no longer 'incharge'. It`s rumoured she has been um,how does one put this..invited to tender her resignation:ok::ok::D. Justice is few and far between at Airlink but i guess it all comes back t` ya at some time! I`ve heard things and people that are really p:mad:ing the crew off are going to be under scrutiny over the next few days/weeks:oh:. So watch for some changes lads:ok:,it may,just may be the start of an awakening by Management at Airlink-although i`m not holding my breath:rolleyes:.

taxilight
25th Apr 2008, 02:26
Isn't that wonderful!!!!. Can her hubby be next closely followed by jvj? Then this will instantly become a better place!
PS: Looks like that ex hosty, now the new acting chief pilot is doing a fantastic job:D:D:DWell done

lol777
25th Apr 2008, 07:08
wow guys. I read all your posts and i must say its doesnt look good there. i have a interview there soon. do you guys think it will get better

NOTOT
25th Apr 2008, 08:25
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD RIDDENS TO BAD RUBISH!!!!!!!!!!! SOLONG F.U.P AND THANKS FOR ALL THE CHAOS, 2ND TIME OUT OF LINK!!!:D:D:D:ok:

Katters
25th Apr 2008, 13:30
Dream on pal.. or maybe we should all start dreaming again... that way, at least sometimes, we will be able to enjoy the dream!!

Only the rostering might be a bit better now that "the ops lady" is supposedly not there anymore. What about all the rest ??:uhoh:

NOTOT
26th Apr 2008, 07:18
Dream on pal.. or maybe we should all start dreaming again... that way, at least sometimes, we will be able to enjoy the dream!!

Dear Katter, you live in a DREAM WORLD, if you are at link you would not be making statements like that. The guys & Gals do their best to make it work, but nun comes without support, and support is few and far, you have to beg for the essentials, let alone something extra. DREAM WORLD MAYBE, BUT ONLY IF U'RE ASLEEP!!!!!!!:ugh:

NOTOT
26th Apr 2008, 10:27
Sad to say but Katters first post, maybe a dream state of mind, my friend, for you other posters out there(Kiross,Motive,nelsonMOO,Suitcase,and beyond!!!!!!) Wonderfull, NEVER has there been so much intrests given to the situation at link, U guy's(gals) deserve a medel of honour. Time takes care of all and hopefully the poor white trash in charge, one day u will look back and SMILE :D:D:D

Ricoffy
26th Apr 2008, 12:21
takes care of all and hopefully the poor white trash in charge, one day u will look back and SMILE

Why do you have to bring race into this?

NOTOT
27th Apr 2008, 06:53
Dear RICOFFY, race has nothing to do with it, you are what you are, if you are who i think you are, stop playing that card, your kind is a dying breed!!!!!!

Ricoffy
27th Apr 2008, 07:58
I got the responce I was looking for. So predictable.

Katters
27th Apr 2008, 09:57
Dear NOTOT ... why are you so aggresive? My post was not aimed at you... but rather at "just a job" that thought it might be starting to get better at Link now that our ops lady left...

:)

NOTOT
28th Apr 2008, 08:18
TO all on this post, life is what happens when you make other plans!!!!
To Ricoffy: U just played straight into my hand, thanks, and keep it out the cockpit.
To Katters: Sorry Buddy, it was not ment at you but there are so many posters here that should not be a part, saw F.U.P there after she was "let go" maybe just a hope. rumour has it she resigned with 1 month's notice. SHOULD WE BE SO LUCKY????

Q4NVS
28th Apr 2008, 09:00
but there are so many posters here that should not be

And after 5 posts YOU are now the Authority... :\

Ricoffy
28th Apr 2008, 10:17
You are so wrong in your observations. Any chance of a spelling mistake in your Name ???:E

techman12
28th Apr 2008, 11:20
hear this month atleast 10 confirmed resignations.. (end April) also a whole bunch to follow for the month of May..:ok:

lol777
28th Apr 2008, 12:00
Hi there guys. I am picking up some mixed emotions here from every one about Link. But can anybody adivse me to take a job there. I have a interview there soon, but looking at the bad things like pay mostly, do you think its gonna change and get better in the near future. I dont mind working my ass of, I became a pilot to fly as much as i can. Maybe when i am older that will change and i would want a relaxing job.
My biggest problem is the pay, will it get better. With the petrol price now i am gonna drive out half my salary. Not to talk about maintaining my car and paying the new prices for electricity we dont get.

And the last thing. Do you choose on which aircraft you want to fly on or is it the luck of the draw?

sky waiter
28th Apr 2008, 15:12
From an outsider perspective soon to be an insider perspective....

I went for the interview, very pleasant, they asked some really challenging questions but were not unreasonable. I got a choice of fleet but because of my location, and not wanting to move it didnt leave me with too many options, however i am very happy with my choice.

I recieved my contract a few days ago- i was very pleasantly surprised as everyone is going on about how bad the pay is, i am earning more than i was on contract, (and more then i was offered at some other interviews i attended). I will be at home almost every night. (the pay apparently works on hours though) The bond is also fair as it gives you a good incentive to stay for at least 3 years!

I must say with all the moaning going on one cannot help but be sceptical but i cannot wait to go on course and join the airline, it has to beat contract and instruction any day of the week!!

All those who have interviews good luck and i hope to see you online soon! :ok::ok:

nocandoo
28th Apr 2008, 18:58
sky waiter.I see you are from PE. If this is the case, good for you. It is probably the best place to be while working for link. You would hardly notice that you are working for link.(That is a good thing) The flying is good down there and you are generally not messed with from jnb. As for the bond, if you stay 3 years then no problem. If I was based in PE I would not easily leave link. Good luck.

Just a job
28th Apr 2008, 21:01
"the pay apparently works on hours though" HUH? :confused:

buck2rogers69
28th Apr 2008, 21:23
lol777, no only 50 or so people have left in a year, cause its a great place to work, I mean there is surelly no problems at all, ops is smooth they fly 60hrs a month and its nice, management are fair, people enjoy it. Pay is good also.hahahaha

I think u need to read carefully or get someone to read to you what people think of Link, mate flying a lot is something you may never have had the pleasure of doing, but doing 950hrs a year, 4 sectors a day with NDB and VOR letdowns all over is not much fun after a few months, it drains you, look at those that have been at link for 15years, the JA of Airlink, they look as if they are about 70years old. It is tough flying!!!!!!

Paid per the hour, they obviously trying to screw u and you have not realised it or read any other Airlines contract or Know no better!!! Pe is the only good thing for you then, cause JHB is a mess, CT will close its doors fairly soon!!!!!

Think about it carefully, cause I KNOW WHAT MY DECISION WOULD BE, :mad: them and their crap!!!!!

techman12
29th Apr 2008, 05:01
sky waiter (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=104455) ... BAD CHOICE!! It everybody say dont join them... you dont join them to prove everybody wrong!!??

Listen here, from experience.. Link start out to be a nice company.. then slowly you start wondering... well maby the crap around isnt too bad.. after 3-4 months online every body is negative.. hating the place.. then you ask yourself.. what wrong.. and realise its the whole setup.. from ground up.. engineers, pilots, ops, managment... the list goest on... AND THEN... you sorry u ever joined!! - even Nationwide is a better place to be because you fly atleast a 737..

Also as far as I am aware JVJ stopped all out station employments.. everybody JHB based.. jou might just have a roster that puts u down in PE.. until JHB needs u back... then u will be JHB... based... they dont care if you have a life down there in PE... they just see aircraft standing.. no crew.. who they call... YOU!!!

Mate.. we can see you new in the airlines... wait .. we will talk in 3 months when u back from sim... hope they got enough instructors.. I know some of the guys are waiting 3 months to go to the sim... wat easy way for link to waste money!!

Good luck!

nocandoo
29th Apr 2008, 12:47
I understand that it is jvj's new trick not to pay the training captains their training allowance once they resign even though the job was done. Well well well. No surprises to what that man has up his sleeve. Maybe he believes that one should stick to ones morals, no matter how low they are.
Here's a word of advise to those who have a serious problem with their employer.
1. Write them a letter stating the problem and give them 7 days to respond. If no response,
2. Write them a grievance and again give them 7 days to respond. If no response again,
3 Write them a grievance on top of the grievance giving them 3 days to respond. Sit back and watch the sparks fly:p:p:p
PS. If they choose to ignore it just call the good old CCMA and discuss the matter with them from there.:ouch::ouch::ouch:

VortexGen300
29th Apr 2008, 14:49
I was reading in the Rumour forum and found this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324859

Well if it is of any consolation to the guys/girls at link - this sounds like elsewhere there is some justice for similar situations? I just hope that in Link's case it does not come after similar circumstances!

Stirred?
VG300

sky waiter
29th Apr 2008, 15:10
As in your total time depends on what your renumeration will be, hope that clears it up...

I was not trying to prove anyone wrong, just some positive points. I am not going to comment on the JNB basing as that is what i was told- we will see what happens.

And it looks as if i made the right decision as at least i now have a job as it doesnt look to promising for the new nationwide recruits (i sincerely hope that isnt the case but you never know)

Anyway carry on flaming me, i can see no one is going to be very positive anyway! :(

nocandoo
1st May 2008, 06:06
8 Resignations active at the moment. 1 J41 F/O, 2 EMB145 captains, 4 J41 captains incliding 1 training captain and 1 BAE146 captain who happens to be the chief pilot. RF, are you still not getting it that your dear mate who :mad::mad: over aiways, SAX and Mauritius is having his way with you? Do the words "Track record" bear any meaning in your vocabulary?
Maybe he could have saved nationwide. Should have given him the chance!:ok: You could!!! Yes you could still give him the chance!!!!

techman12
1st May 2008, 06:35
well done guys!! Airlink.. you will be like Nationwide soon... watch,..:mad:

Champagne Lover
2nd May 2008, 17:08
Hello there all. I mean ALL, that includes VortexGen300, (AKA RF) (AKA CEO).
One has to go back a few years to understand where and why Link is where it is today.
The late Richard Charter was instrumental in starting Airlink. He was THE MAN in the British arms deal with SA. He also was in a position to obtain Jetstreams from the arms company and be the agent in SA.
He was "a business man". (His integrity/marals are not discussed, here) He made money. Lots of it.
The current senior management at Link believe they too are exceptional businessmen. In the league of Richard Branson
and Richard Charter. Lots of Richards involved.....
The leader at Airlink wants money. NOTHING else! No legacy. Not a place to aspire to work for etc. Money.
He has decided that total hands-on (his hands) with all decision making must be his. He has further decided that the most money can be made by paying the least possible amount in salaries.
Hence, the previous mentioned string which states that for 1 F/O he can get 3 or 4 Cadets. For some of the senior Captains he can get two junior Captains!
To ensure that people do NOT stay on at Link, and grow larger salaries, he makes the working conditions barely tenable. Just enough to constantly recruit new people.(Not just crew)
Now for some VERY bizarre reason, he has decided that ALL the great business leaders with their styles and their tried and tested schools of business methods, do not work to get the most profit for himself.(and the shareholders)
The philosophies of business that state that a high turnover of staff is bad for the bottom line, simply just don't apply to Link. He has worked this all out, in detail.
RF fired N Kroucamp for commercial reasons. RF fired L.V.E. for commercial reasons. RF will fire the next head of the union too, because he can!
RF knows the law in SA means nothing anymore. So what if it's against the labour law? Sue me!
RF does NOT like a happy work force, because then they might stay- and demand higher salaries/working conditions and A LIFE!!
The last few years are not without very deliberate design from him(RF).He has eventually now, got the pilot body to be where he has always wanted them. This is how he will make the most profit. Hence, JVJ. And JVJ is his AxMan, by special appointment.
JVJ is going to fire a pilot in the very near future, to prove his strength. Read: "Don't :mad: wiff me"!
Guys and girls, be very wary………

308GT4
4th May 2008, 15:28
Hey Techman12, there are a lot of differences between NW and Link. For one, and very importantly, the people you fly with~ including the training pilots, are all damn fine and PLEASANT to fly with. You don't go to work thinking, "Sh one Tee, I really don't need today with him or her". There are NOT many airlines on this planet that can rightfully say so. There are plenty of "Proper Airlines", where the guys HATE going to fly. But the loot and 'types' keep their ego's stroked. Your soul for the devil? Worth it? I think not!
Link is very far from perfect, but it has some very curious virtues.

VortexGen300
4th May 2008, 16:04
Hi

Champagne Lover - Thanks for the insight.

I am truely amazed at the stories and issues going around. There are so much hatred, aggression, discontention towards the boss. I am sure he is high up on a hit list of some sort somewhere?

308GT4 - Your insight about the people.

Now it makes one jealous to hear such nice things about the crews. One just wonders how long it will last - looking at the bad vibe the 'boss' stirrs amongst the people?

I was wrong in my evaluation of the situation at Nationwide - really thought they would pull it through. Now in fear of being wrong again - I am going to sit back and listen and read and become a "wise old fart" - Listening and reading twice as much as talk!

I sure hope I am right this time that the people at Link will turn it around before it is too late - but that is my hope. Good friends of mine went through there and are still there. One guy got "bailed" out when the company they flew for dumped them some years back.

Not stirring now?
VG300

snotneus
7th May 2008, 11:22
Well, well. Now bend over and don't forget the K.Y.
Boys & girls, if we don't stand up against this pr1ck, J.V.J, NOW we can all just go back 2 charter. At least we'll be able to plan some sort of life.

This "policy" is a load of B:mad: S:mad:.
So one sided.
We have no rights what so ever except that we have the right to decline flying of our off days. (Now if I can just get that fat useless pig to stop calling me on every off day.)
Please SOLIDARITY get an interdict against link + stop them implementing one sided policy changes (ie. unilateral change of working conditions).
Can someone at SAA please correct me but didn't the devil (jvj) try this there?:ugh:
Please Solidarity we need your balls back.
I say lets strike. I need some toy-toy lessons first though.
I'm really gatfol. Never in all my time at link have I felt as disgusted as I did this morning when I read this insulting new "policy".

Can't wait for VG300 (the boss) insightful responce. With your positive attitude you are obviuos not affected by this cr@p.

Just a job
7th May 2008, 19:44
You actually don`t have the right to refuse to fly on your day off! I stand to be corrected but i read that you can only refuse to fly on an off day if its a legally-required off day(ie 1 in 7,2 in 14).If its just an off day you are supposed to be at their beck & call.Lads, its time for a serious cell-phones-off attitude i`m afraid....If you don`t..all is lost and its harsh to say,but you deserve all you get(bend over some more and open a little w-i-d-e-r:}).This "policy" is total b :mad:ll s :mad:t. It had to be implemented with the consent of the union(according to the deal signed last year when we all nearly went on strike).IF the union have given this "policy" the nod then I have two observations: The union need their arse kicked and....May the Great Aviator in the sky have mercy on Airlink pilots`.:{. The guys & girls are slowly accepting the "career-path" such as it is,then jvj comes up with this abortion of a plan.RF please note THIS will be the start of another exodus from the sinking ship. My God..the arrogance and stupidity.................it beggars belief:ugh:

taxilight
8th May 2008, 02:59
If they think that I am going to comply with this stupid policy they can fire me. I WILL NOT COMPLY!!! JVJ go :mad::mad: with yourself.(Or with that stupid ops cronie of yours) I understand that the normal process the union has to follow will take 2 to 3 months.This is not good enough. Give us a strike certificate!! For anything. You poor fools joining link now. How sorry I feel for you. How very very sorry I feel for you. Do any of you even know the finer details of your bond you will have to sign. You will be stuck here for 3 years. The name should change from "SA Airlink (PTY) Limited" to "The Bitches of JVJ (PTY) unlimited" This includes you RF. You're so numb you don't even feel it anymore. Carry on. You think the 10 resignations you got this month is the last of it. Carry on and see. Even your hard core link guys are talking of leaving now. :ok: Contrary to your letter on the board. Comair might have lost 26% of their pilots in the last year but you are sitting a lot closer to 50% now. And Airlink is no Comair. Don't you even dare to try and put yourself in the same league as the Novic's. They look after their most valuable assets. Not your motto, is it!

techman12
8th May 2008, 09:03
now that is nicely put!!:eek:

madam
8th May 2008, 15:55
I would like to QUOTE the new policy regarding Off Days. "5.1 Crew scheduled "Day Off" during any roster period will not be required to complete active duty on that day nor can the scheduled roster be changed from Day Off to active duty other than what is stipulated in 4.2. (4.2 Crew are not to plan any private appointments on a scheduled duty day.) 5.2 Crew scheduled Day Off can be changed to a Duty Day if it is not a legal Off Day by the Roster Office or JNB Operations, PROVIDED THAT THE CREW MEMBER AGREES TO ASSIST THE COMPANY IN THIS CHANGE. Alternative Day Off will be given to the Crew by the Roster Office. 5.3 Crew WILLING to fly on his/her off day will be compensated with double S&T." Which part of this exactly do you not understand? It makes perfect sense NOT to plan private events on a duty day, considering the possiblilty of delays. As to being forced to work on an Off Day, does it not CLEARLY state in 5.2 "provided that the crew member agrees to assist the company"? Your level of education has evidently left you unequipped with the rudiments of comprehension. Perhaps you should rather be working in someone's garden, because if you cannot grasp the basics I fear for the lives of your passengers.

newcrew
8th May 2008, 16:54
being there - done that

my two cents worth to all pilots - leave asap - it will NOT change!

p.s. props are for boats

fly safe

eish
8th May 2008, 19:49
eish - the madam she has spoken :ouch:

Just a job
9th May 2008, 08:39
Madam,'it makes perfect sense not to plan private events on a duty day...'.
Are you stark raving barking mad? This is an AIRLINE (well..it tries to project that image and indeed markets itself as such)it operates on schedules.Pilots get Rosters.I have every right to make an appointment for after my scheduled,rostered work is done.Its called LIFE (i`m not sure who the agents in Gauteng are for this wonderful product-but i respectfully suggest you GET ONE).And before you make an inane comment about technicals etc,YES I KNOW A/C BREAK DOWN.I ACCEPT THAT.I WILL DEAL WITH THAT.But to suggest crew plan (well...how can they:confused:?)around an Airlines incompetence,staff shortages(sorry,but whose fault is that:ugh:?)and generally chaotic operating is absolutely ridiculous.I`m afraid the companys tearful handwringing about pilot shortages is laughable-i don`t see Comair,Sax etc spiralling into this shambles.Sure they are looking for crew like everyone else-but they are`nt really battling too much to fill pilot positions are they? Funny,that......Anyway,back to your sun-filled meadow where bunnies,puppies and butterflies play gleefully alongside the picket fence that you obviously inhabit when you can`t deal with reality.If you are a pilot(?:hmm:)then you are one of the dangerous new breeds of newly-minted products of the "oh,i`m so happy to get an airline job-i`ll do anything to please my boss" schools.Dangerous? well,cosider your attitude-the" i`ll do anything for this company" syndrome your post seems to suggest you suffer from.'...i fear for the lives of your passengers'.Well,you may fear that the pax don`t go due to crew that are mature enough to book off sick when they are not fit to fly,nor alert enough due to fatigue to deal with an engine failure or fire on take-off at max weight out of Jhb on a hot summers day.No,i guess that does`nt enter your head,does it? Just another 1000 hr inexperienced pilot who now suddenly knows all about Airline flying and life because they were an instructor at the ACME school of aviating in Coffiefontein or they did a 'tour of duty' in some sh:mad:thole in Africa in a van.Yes,you are the type that jvj and RF need to continue with the shambles-then they don`t need to fix it,do they?Grow up.Of course you have the right to make private appointments. You have the right to switch your cell phone off.You have the right to book off sick,not fly a/c you and your crew are not happy with,not to be phoned at one o`clock in the morning,not to have your roster changed/mangled/generally f:mad:ed with by incompetent staff with no regard to your LIFE (remember that little thing....)and the list go`s on and on and on.RF said 'he was disapointed pilots chose to air their "dirty laundry" on pprune'...well what does he want us to do?Biscuits and hot chocolate next to the fire with himself and jvj? RF had one meeting once with the pilots ,a real 'let-me-have-it'meeting.It was great.Another one?It was asked for.Response from management? I think it must have been 'INCOMING!TAKE COVER BEHIND THE DESKS MEN-THOSE BLOODY INTERFERRING PILOTS WANT A MEETING!MY GOD,THEY MAY WANT US TO ACTUALLY ANSWER QUESTIONS':ooh:.So.....dirty laundry,:hmm:we have`nt even started:=.(and,last but not least-i sincerely apologise in advance for comments about 1000 hr inexperienced newbies-I truly do not intend any insult at all.just for illustrative purposes only-but those types i mentioned are out there-they are coming to an Airline near you soon....:eek:

oompilot
9th May 2008, 08:41
I’m sure that in most cases an inability to help out on an off day would be a mark against ones name, a definite candidate for a list of trouble makers. Therefore, one is actually on standby on this day in order to preserve his or her reputation and not off and therefore, should be rescheduled for a legal off day of 1 in 7 or 2 in 14, after such a day of standby so that one can relax properly without harassment and regain enthusiasm for his company and job. Come on ops, you can’t have your cake and eat it. Are they off, or on standby. It seems all you actually doing is listing a pilot as ‘off’ but using him as a standby pilot in order to reduce duty times. :=

madam
9th May 2008, 09:00
Now isn't it just silly to assume that I meant technical delays? What about WEATHER? I know of no airline capable of controlling weather, and wouldn't it just be plain thick to actually plan a hot date with some bimbo when you end up getting stuck somewhere in bad weather and risk the wrath of the bimbo - or rather being ditched by the bimbo? My reasoning is simply based on good, experienced aviation technique, i.e. HAVE A BACK UP PLAN!!!! Do you understand the concept? As for "getting a life". I have a life, I plan my days off, and I do not work on those days. Period. Duty days are just that. In any other job there may also be a crisis that requires one to work late. Have the maturity to deal with that. Also, take a step back and consider just who you are addressing. You have absolutely no idea what my curriculim vitae looks like, so why are you treating me with such disdain? With maturity comes the wisdom to refrain from being judgmental. Your hysteria is indicative of either immaturity or mental instability. Perhaps you are the one that should not be flying.

Just a job
9th May 2008, 09:49
:DName-calling? Grow up .And any one who has experience inaviation would understand that in the context i said 'technicals' would comprehend that it would encompass technicals,ATC delays,wx etc etc.It does not,however,take into account poor planning,lack of staff etc etc.I will not disrupt my life for those things that are totally controllable. As for your days off ,do you really have that much faith in this company to give you your day off without bothering you or are you one of the 'phone-me-anytime'types that keeps the chaos moving along?:yuk:

The scary thing is I`M one of the more positive pilots at Airlink.......

Discussion ended with you-I have intelligent conversations,not name-calling,infantile,"mines-bigger-than-yours" arguements. :=

Have a nice day:)

madam
9th May 2008, 17:52
I despair. There is no name-calling in my post, your comprehension skills truly are lacking.

taxilight
10th May 2008, 04:56
Just A Job. Let's give credit where it is due. Judging by this socalled madam's linguistic ability, I am positive that it can not be jvj, his idiot sidekick in ops nor the chief pilot. Could it be one of those fly on their day off pilots? I don't think so. Somebody in management? Must be. Could he/she have taught english in the past? Is it possible that rf has finally decided to join in on a public rumour network? I doubt it, but if it is you rf, WELCOME!!!! My point is this: Should you try to call me on my off day,(or even just when I am just not on duty) I suspect that you might find the conversation rather monolithic. Should you try to make me fly after my rostered duty, we might just find ourselver in the boardroom testing the disscplinary protocol.To put it as plainly as possible, YOU CAN GO AND F:mad: YOURSELF!:ok:

dendronite
10th May 2008, 14:06
As i undestand, nobody is being forced to fly on his day off. Working on an off day is your choice. What is wrong with that?

NOTOT
10th May 2008, 16:30
Guys & Gals Read the Thread on MANGO, a new "Alink Emerges" very entertaing!!!:cool::ugh::ugh::ugh:

techman12
10th May 2008, 17:33
wake up!! Mango, SAA and even Comair doesnt compare to all the SH:mad:T at Airlink... JVJ and RF are both in the same bed.. they think alike.. they dont care about anyone in their company..! similar to VB at Nationwide.. remember what happened there!! - link also on similar path! watch out Link pilots.. rather move on ASAP.. MANGO SAA and Comair looking.. get your CV's out there!!

NOTOT
10th May 2008, 19:32
techman12, your input is appreciated, thanks!! For those of you at LNK keep your heads up and resign with fury, don't know what i am doing wrong , but i still like the life-style after 9 years, jvj might be a problem but he can try, the ****ker lies to your face and the CCMA is waiting for him, been threre.............!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

techman12
11th May 2008, 07:08
the problem however is that JVJ and RF dont care about the union.. I think they like pis:mad:g pilots off.. this is they way it goes: managment piss pilots off.. pilots off to solidarity.. union get a fight doing.. 6months later CCMA strike.. then quickly they solve it, the next day.. managment piss pilots off.. here we go again...

keeps on repeating itself.. I know.. I've been there aswell!! for a Long time!!

Guys the grass is greener on the otherside!! I promiss!!:8

FreeRobot
11th May 2008, 08:52
NOTOT, you aint the only one who enjoys the lifestyle, been around for a while as well. It is unlikely that LNK will go the same way as NW. Unlike Pricknell, RF is not the mayor shareholder, not even by a long shot. Investors to answer to. Question is, are the investors aware of what is going on? Do they know that a HR manager goes around saying 'die pilots moet bietjie vasgevat word'. Do they know of the threatening memos in our postboxes? 'You'll get fired for this, you'll get dismissed for that'. Sure there are changers but deal with that, don't generalise, this seriously pisses grown-ups off. Mister Investor, those you are trusting with your money are scaring people, who are commited, away with their caveman tactics. And without people to fly airplanes, no return on your investment.

nemesis mk1
11th May 2008, 09:33
Guys the grass is greener on the otherside!! I promiss!!:8

Take a moment for once and focus on what's Great about Airlink

Our agreed salaries have always been paid on time
All licence and Medical renewal claims have always been paid back
We are always kept current at their expense
Our bonuses have always been paid
If you fly on a day off you get double snt and get to negotiate another day offThe list goes on:D:ok:

techman12
11th May 2008, 10:24
nemesis mk1 WAKE UP!!:D

Our agreed salaries have always been paid on time - WRONG... last year they didnt give longivity!! as Agreed!! ..

All licence and Medical renewal claims have always been paid back- might be.. but they only pay a max of R350 for a medical!! yet it is closer to the R550 mark!! so you still loose!

We are always kept current at their expense - WRONG some pilots haven't been to sim for over 16months!!

Our bonuses have always been paid- WRONG calcalated pro-rata for the guys/gals that have been there less that 12months.. not a full 13th cheque as per contracts!!

If you fly on a day off you get double snt and get to negotiate another day off - WRONG no double SNT nope.. make sure you check that you actually get SNT.. negotiate a day off.. yes because as per LAW you need 3 days off in 14!! not cindness from link I'm afraid..

nemesis mk1 wake up!!:D

nemesis mk1
11th May 2008, 15:37
WRONG... last year they didnt give longivity!! as Agreed!! ..
some did not get longivety but it got fixed up with backpay (iow SORTED OUT)

might be.. but they only pay a max of R350 for a medical!! yet it is closer to the R550 mark!! so you still loose
utter rubish, my last medical was well over that and i got my backpay promptly

WRONG some pilots haven't been to sim for over 16months

The truth is they are current. All required training is up to date

Our bonuses have always been paid- WRONG calcalated pro-rata for the guys/gals that have been there less that 12months.. not a full 13th cheque as per contracts!!

What is wrong with that? What do you expect? Work for one month and get full bonus?
WRONG no double SNT nope.. make sure you check that you actually get SNT.. negotiate a day off.. yes because as per LAW you need 3 days off in 14!! not cindness from link I'm afraid..
if you take a little time and monitor your income, you will see that you get double s&t. I dont think that link is "cind" but Link is reasonable

buck2rogers69
11th May 2008, 16:12
Nemisis Mk1, mate wake up, u talking crap!!! they have definately not paid correctly and without a fight to rectify the problem. They paying new captains less than what other 1st year captains are getting, know this as I have seen a payslip and its not what some other 1st years are gettin!!!

techman12
12th May 2008, 09:23
buck2rogers69 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=220928) tell him!! He looks like a "new" airlink pilot... open up your eyes!!! link is not complying to the rules in the term THEY set!!

taxilight
12th May 2008, 11:49
nemesis mk1: Maybe you should take some of that double s&t you are getting and have your head checked.:= Do you braai with jvj or have you just been at link for less than 1 week??:ugh:

techman12
12th May 2008, 14:43
ass licking... thats what it is!!

nemesis mk1
13th May 2008, 18:17
You guys have run out of arguments. Now that you have seen and understood the facts, you have nothing left but to respond like that.:{

nocandoo
13th May 2008, 18:34
nemesis mk1:The facts are quite clear. Looks like you are either blind or just completely oblivious to what's going on. Heard from a reliable source that jvj called mango to prevent a certain gentleman from leaving. Mango told him exactly what he could go and do with himself.:D He does not seize to amaze! At least he got his money owed to him by link, even though it took a laywers letter.

techman12
13th May 2008, 19:10
jip heard it aswell!

nocandoo
17th May 2008, 20:15
awful truth: Very kind of you!!! Heard that link will now be using "wet lease training captains" from the uk. Wonder how they will be teaching link's SOP's and how the Pietermaritsburg approaches will go. Also heard the link instructors are so P:mad::mad:d off they are going to resign when this takles place. Feel sorry for the lads who are paying huge bucks for this compromised training. They say there is a time for everything. Perhaps the time to move on has come.

Q4NVS
17th May 2008, 20:28
and how the Pietermaritzburg approaches will go

Excuse my ignorance, but are you implying that Link Drivers are the only one's in the world that can hack these approaches...Oh, thought not!

techman12
18th May 2008, 10:35
heard aswell that Link is so short on training capt's that they cant even afford to send any to the UK to do simulator training! WOW.. and the most senior JS41 pilot who is suppose to go onto the 146 has been tod that again due "operational" req. he cannot move across!! - after 8years on the JS41 and over 6000hrs on type.. he must add a bit more.. VERY SAD INDEED!:eek: - I would move on if I was him!

nemesis mk1
18th May 2008, 19:33
Phase one is about to begin.
There is going to be transformation in airlink.

What do you mean by that? a pipe dream i suppose. What about the toothles union? Im sure the numbers are close to 50%. :{:E

techman12
18th May 2008, 20:40
most of the members leaving the company.. new pilots not joining.. more like 20% and decreasing! - pitty.. its falling apart..:rolleyes:

buck2rogers69
19th May 2008, 05:39
Well if the Union Falls Apart, who knows what will happen, JVJ would then have most certainly achieved his objection.

The senior guys should put a bit of pressure on the new hires to Join, come on guys, do it for those around you, you are screwing them and yourselfs.:ugh::ugh:

All I can say is the writing is on the wall at Link, I would jump ship if I was there!!!!!

madam
19th May 2008, 18:27
Techman12

Link pilots were doing a training stint in April/May, WITH LINK TRAINING CAPTAINS, and in June there will be more departures to the UK WITH Link Training Captain/s. Wherever do you dig out your misinformation?:=

ARENDIII
19th May 2008, 21:17
Colonel-Dont quite know how to work the PM thing so just give me a ring-ArendIII

ARENDIII
19th May 2008, 21:20
Nope,
I'm sorry to say that we fly for contracts that say that we are involved in "special ops" so say goodbye to day 13 & 14

ARENDIII
19th May 2008, 21:33
Welcome on board, at this stage it would be good if you could keep your transmissions to R/T.
You haven't had the vote for that long?
Best regards ArendIII.

I got the vote (and the majority when I married you!)

madam
20th May 2008, 07:06
Insecure neanderthals prevented women from getting the vote. Happily, women have evolved, neanderthals are still neanderthals.

Do you also shower after sex to avoid HIV infection?

You actually got MARRIED just to be the "majority"? That's desperate. Would have been easier to become a traffic officer.

For that matter, did you have to drug the poor woman to marry you?

Champagne Lover
21st May 2008, 11:11
I wonder if the following institutions are aware of this fellow JVJ and his track record? viz: Coronation Fund Managers, South City Group and Nedbank.
It might just be in their financial interest to find out exactly what he does. His track record shows up rather cloudy.
We know he despises pilots. But why then does he keep going to airlines for a job?:confused:

308GT4
21st May 2008, 11:30
I think I might have been a trifle premature in saying that Link is still a nice place to be at.
Working for a company that really blatently hates its pilots is getting to me too. Actions speak louder than words and the actions being taken towards the pilots at link now are not nice. It's a pity. But your 'Life' is not worth being squandered away at Link.
If you NEED time, fine. But if you're looking for some place to be, you won't have any semblance of a life while at link. Neither money or types. Rather sell funeral policies: More loot, nights at home with the kids, weekends off, leave that you can use and you can say where you will be next Saturday!

nocandoo
21st May 2008, 19:32
The s:mad:t is really hitting the fan now. Guys flying very hard now and having to fight for days off to stay legal.:= Geneva is falling apart because its being manipulated to breaking point and the guys are seriously fed up.:yuk: The training guys are talking of quitting and some are now looking for other jobs (even the die hard ones) Heard that the standard is now being dropped for command with outside trainers doing the job. :hmm:I wonder whether accountability is be part of the package. Can you see a chain forming somewhere in here? On the subject of jvj? It has not taken him long, has it? :D

Dare I say that sooner rather than later Link will be a much smaller company with RF having a much more hands on approach?

taxilight
21st May 2008, 19:49
Link pilots were doing a training stint in April/May, WITH LINK TRAINING CAPTAINS, and in June there will be more departures to the UK WITH Link Training Captain/s. Wherever do you dig out your misinformation?:= Madam: I also heard that link will be using outside instructors. I am just glad that I am not being bonded for compromised(Sorry, not intended to offend outside instructors) training. Will link still have enough instructors by then. Heard that 1 of their contracts expire end of may while moving to 146 and another 2 resigning from training. The last one seriously looking around- even punting for SAX? Where will you find these guys?:ouch:

kiross
21st May 2008, 19:58
Sad to see it go this way. Also sad to say that you are quite right Ferrari man. Time to move on! It is just not working anymore. Perhaps a classic case of too little too late. We have to admit, it was a good run though.

FatFunny
22nd May 2008, 06:49
Madam, please lighten up. Being a woman doesn’t make you special and entitled to higher admiration. Reference to your CV and your importance is in shockingly bad humor. Being a woman myself I see no need to aggrandize myself. What I find most amusing is that you are so angry at people for standing up for their rights. Which in itself is mind-boggling as you are fighting about "the vote" while attacking pilots for standing up for THEIR RIGHTS. I am a woman but I am also a pilot.

Utterly amazing double-standard and lack of understanding of what is happening around you. Maybe you should stop looking in the mirror checking your make-up and look at the pilots around you.

And I have heard it from the horse’s mouth…. Training captains are leaving sooner than you may believe keeping the door wider open for the wet-lease pilots. Heard that June stint might not be all that clear-cut anymore.

One pilot tried (and I applaud him for still trying) to extend a helping hand and he’s intentions were spit at and kicked away by JVJ because he does not know what the word “humble” means. He could not graciously accept help because he will have to spent R25k to save millions. Insanely stupid.

Anyway, I am glad that I can stand with my fellow pilots and be appalled by JVJ. Even after I hand in my resignation.

razorback
23rd May 2008, 20:48
Assumption is the mother of all f:mad:k-ups...
What makes you all assume that "madam" is female???
:E

snotneus
24th May 2008, 08:14
I personally think madam is a spelling error and should be madman. I also recon "madman" is JVJ's ops side kick NvE. Madman's arguments are the same numscull one's NvE tries 2 pull.
I recon we need a purge @ link. NvE,JvJ need firing (i'm just glad NvE's fat wife is gone). Francois should replace NvE & we can do without JVJ's post. I'm convinced his job description is pilot harrasment.
I hope link lost that contract mentioned above. perhaps it will bring RF a flight level or 2 lower.

Love flying, hate management

NOTOT
24th May 2008, 08:39
WELL SAID FELLOW HATER, A ROUND ON ME SIR!:ok::D

nocandoo
24th May 2008, 22:54
Judging by the amount of s:mad:t at link, it must be the greeeeeeenest grass you have ever come across! We should feel sorry for jvj. It must be difficult to come to work, produce such a fake smile and trot around as if all is good. Eventually it will ge to him. That is if he is around long enough. Not so long ago the combined hours on type easily exceeded 10 000hours. Now they struggle to make the minimum of 1000hours. Like so many other things, it must say something to rf. I really do not believe that he cares 1 second for any of his emplyees. It's just business. He has proven that even after 10 years of service he has no problem booting staff like a kentucky wrapper in his way.

dendronite
25th May 2008, 06:59
What has nve done wrong? And why would francois do any better? And good news :rolleyes: it looks like fup is there to stay :{ :yuk:

nocandoo
25th May 2008, 07:17
dendronite: Do you even work for link? What is the matter with you?:ugh:

dendronite
25th May 2008, 07:39
You retaliate with that and avoid my question.What has nve done wrong? And why would francois do any better?

techman12
25th May 2008, 13:50
NvE must get FIRED ASAP!! he is useless and break the rules
manipulating new pilots in doing illigal flights to make $$ for the company!!
HE is useless!! glad his fat wife is gone aswell.. looks like it runs in the family!

Q4NVS
25th May 2008, 15:54
NvE must get FIRED ASAP!! he is useless and break the rules
manipulating new pilots in doing illigal flights to make $$ for the company!!

And so is your Grammar and Spelling...:yuk:

NOTOT
25th May 2008, 20:53
Fact of the matter is: Francios is a great "operator", he can see the problem before the **** hits the fan and make a rash dissicion, hence most of us want him there, U can approach him with a problem and work it out, he also understands the contstaints the pilots work under because he is a pilot himself, he is actually for the company, but in a good way. He has always managed to keep the fine line between "operational" and "human" and when he is in office I can work with peace in my heart because all works, can say the same about about another fine new fellow also working in ops, pity NvE thinks he can rool the roost, YOUR DAYS ARE MARKED ON THE ALMANAC, TICK...TOCK, YOU TO MY FRIEND ARE EXPENDIBLE!!!! GUTTER RAT!!!:ugh:

eish
26th May 2008, 17:24
Jeez NOTOT - you guys really are unhappy with JvJ and NvE - maybe their mothers should have thrown them away and kept the storks!:}

awful truth
26th May 2008, 18:20
I feel that nve is ok to work with, i can accept his ways. I just wish that the hosties could get along with their boss. That would help a lot. :{

beechbum
26th May 2008, 18:39
It's a real pity that Link has degenerated into a fine mess. As for NvE, I always thought he was a fine fellow when I was there, but looks like he's changed his spots somewhat..on the RF take is he?
But as QVNS put it...guys your grammar and spelling needs to be addressed...man oh man my two year old niece can string a sentence together better than several of you Link fellas! Notot you being one of them!
Are you liking to be an ou wif a jean pant..!Took me a while to realise what you are on about.....a little off the topic!
But hell guys isn't it time you banded together for a last stand and sort the state of Link out! It's been going on for years and somehow would like to see the end of this sorry state of affairs!As for the hosties getting on with their boss...another story!!! That's been an on going issue for years and doubt that will ever change! Maybe the bossman has something to do with that too...get my drifty!!!!!
Probably the best bit of flying you'll ever get to do......pity to see it go!

3rdBogey
27th May 2008, 06:26
When you have to deal with a bully, or now bullies, you have a bit of a problem if you think you can make headway using normal rational and reasonable means. RF will fire you, if he and his bullies just think you might cost him an extra cent!
You're not allowed to just fire????? Really? Who is going to do exactly what to him? It may be illegal, SO WHAT? Just do it! His conscience is assuaged by the motivation: "Commercial Decision".
It's pure unadulterated usury. He's going to let you have a life at cost to his profit? Dream on!
You find them (bullies) everywhere, and throughout history. Always will too.
See NW and the path it led them to. ('it' being the archetypal bully!)
:ouch:

308GT4
27th May 2008, 06:37
All true unluckily......
Reading this thread is enough to put one off drink and flying forever......

lvdriver
27th May 2008, 08:39
Have a question, how much of what’s being posted here is the ACTUAL state of play and how much is just guys with an axe to grind. I know of a couple of guys who have just signed on with Link and they seem extremely chuffed and seem to feel the place is well organised. When I asked them if they were concerned they told me what’s been posted here is drivel and is not the feeling of the crew in general.

Now reading this post I would tend to disagree- the point being Link is still an attractive place to go for some people, are these guys bonkers???? or do they just have the charm turned on high during the interview?

nocandoo
27th May 2008, 13:46
I know of a couple of guys who have just signed on with Link and they seem extremely chuffed and seem to feel the place is well organised.Ask them again in just a few months (or weeks) time. You will be shocked!

nicsherman
27th May 2008, 17:22
Good day guys....

Now where we all most likely agree is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but non the less all the 99% of the users do...specially with the Link subject is BITCH.

For new crew who are joining you are making it sound like its the worst possible job on earth and no one would want to fly their aircraft. I dont know...ill fly the ERJ and be happy...until its time to upgrade and fly from the left etc. How about saying a good word or at least a positive thing about someone. Take your heads out or your asses and TRY and be nice. Like i said it doesnt seem like everyone is negative but most are. You'll find you will never be happy with your job and guess what we will find all you happy people back on here bitching that their present jobs are ****.

Chin up guys it could be FAR worse:ok:

nocandoo
27th May 2008, 20:32
How about saying a good word or at least a positive thing about someone.
Try reading the very first post in this thread!
I dont know...ill fly the ERJ and be happy
Note that the most aircraft at link are J41's with the most pilots flying...... you guessed it... J41's. The problem started with the addition of these E135's you so willingly volunteer to fly. Let me also point out that many of these E135 drivers complain bitterly just like the rest of the link crew.Yes that includes CA's. Please read the complete thread and a few others related to link before you volunteer your valuable opinion again.

Flyer14
28th May 2008, 12:53
All the input here is taken note of, but at the moment I guess I'd rather be an employed Link driver than an unemployed Nationwide driver.

Spoken to alot of airline guys (SAA and Comair) and all reckon Link is a better option than going back to contracts. :confused:

super sweep seven
29th May 2008, 11:34
To those who are leaving, please leave in peace and stop bad mouthing the company. :) Unless if it's making you feel better, to me just a waste of energy.

Just a job
29th May 2008, 15:47
Hey, Super Sweepstakes, You say"..unless if its making you feel better".
You know what? It makes me feel f:mad:king awesome!:ok:.
You have a fantastic day now,y`hear.:):)

FREIGHTMAN
29th May 2008, 18:56
Come on guys - does this thread really blow your hair back. I feel pretty sorry for you then! There is more to life than reading this load of L(%%#...t.

I'm going flying!

nemesis mk1
29th May 2008, 19:07
How many more are leaving airlink? If someone can share this information.

It seems that the people who stay behind will end up accepting jvj's rules and will see nve as no problem and there will be less moaning and ailink will be at last a nice place to be.
The only reason airlink is not a nice place to be is because of the small percentage of idiots who think they understand business and think they have rights and formulate all sorts of petty gripes. You are like babies that have just had some toys convescated.

You are like the masses that ruin the economy and continue demanding.

1 You have the attitude of "they owe us"

2 I think you should have the attitude of "how can we help you?"

Stay where you are and stop moaning and start helping with all you can because we are heading for some tough times.

super sweep seven
30th May 2008, 12:29
Then why did you login? Flyboy?:bored:

NOTOT
31st May 2008, 07:20
Most of us help, maybe in a small(big) way but, we do help, u work out saving the Doger 80 kg's of fuel on 1 leg and times that by four(a hint, fuel now costs R8,68 depo price), how much more do you want us to do?? As for Beechbum and his grammer go **** your self, this is not spanish 101, but a thread for the guys at link who are unhappy about their situation. All you guys/gals out there thanks and keep on trucking!!!

Q4NVS
31st May 2008, 09:47
grammer go **** your self

That is pretty big from someone with only 13 Posts.

4 Words and 2 Spelling mistakes...But you complain about RF and JvJ's Business Acumen?

:E

beechbum
31st May 2008, 12:16
As for Beechbum and his grammer go **** your self
:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:
Couldn't have expected anything less Notot, you sad individual! Glad I don't share a cockpit with you....missed out on a few psychometric tests did we?
Always amazes me how it has to resort to a personal attack! But then again I have to remind myself who I'm dealing with.:ugh::ugh:
It's a pity that a company I once flew for has degenerated, as I have said before, into a mud slinging back biting environment, as it was a great place to be, with a good bunch of guys and gals.....excluding you of course NoTOTTIE....!
Anyway so be it. Good luck and hope you steer the ship around!:ok:

Setron
3rd Jun 2008, 10:38
:ok:Yea- beechbum, tell them!
Those were the good old glory days!

You could help to kill a Union of Pilots,
screw your fellow crewman for personal gains
and fly at Mach 10 !:ouch:

Regards to your low-fuel buddy.
I was told he is still your boss only now in the sandpitt!?
:yuk:
good riddens!

beechbum
3rd Jun 2008, 11:13
Regards to your low-fuel buddy.
I was told he is still your boss only now in the sandpitt!?

good riddens!
Uh? Neh no where near the sandpit Setron so can't say hi to whoever the boss you are refering to. Could that be O.L. by any chance? Know he took a posting there!
As for low-fuel buddy? Ummm sounds interesting! Must have been after my time.
Yep pity about the debarcle at Link...could a certain JVJ have anything to do with this low morale?

Tin-Tin
3rd Jun 2008, 15:30
Link is the BEST!!:8

VortexGen300
3rd Jun 2008, 19:43
YES - at last we can apply and get a job closer to home!

I'd rather have a "SH!T" job than Nothing!

I'd rather be working from somewhere close to home than from a Sh!tty hole somewhere north?

I'd rather fly a J41 that is reasonably maintained than a contract plane below MEL!

Stirred?
VG300

dash431
3rd Jun 2008, 22:24
Blah blah vg300... Find a forum where everone loves the place they work for and go be happy somewhere else... We're working here!

Setron
4th Jun 2008, 14:38
Must have been after my time.

Well, "Captain Highspeed"...
Memory loss is bliss!?:hmm:
Good thing that some pubications like the Aviation and Safety Magazine don't reach the Arab world!?:rolleyes:
Don't worry your secret is save..., won't tell anybody..., ups! :\

Damn, the Aviation-Industry is a small place, hey?:{

beechbum
4th Jun 2008, 14:45
Setron,
Totally off topic with reference to the thread. Live no where near the desert....went no where near the ERJ135 which I think you are referring to and still reside in GP working for the fellas across the Charlie apron.
Anyway I seem to remember high speed descents into Cape Town by a certain training captain or other but fella it ain't me so somewhere along the line you must have your wires crossed.
So be it and believe what you want. I drove J41's.........and 240kts was the order of the day. But my memory fades as it was a long time ago!

Champagne Lover
5th Jun 2008, 06:46
I know of plenty pilots who fly 'heavy metal' at places like Emirates or Cathay, they too 'winge' terribly about how they are treated. However, the one very big difference between an AirLink driver and those guys is, when they get to the end of the month their contorted faces relax for a moment as they open their pay slips!

I remain curious as to why so many aviation companies, not all, decide (and it must be a deliberate decision) to treat their pilots so badly? Do you think they make more money by treating their pilots so badly? Does anyone have input? Anyone other than desk-jockeys posing as pilots that is.....

Shrike200
5th Jun 2008, 14:51
Strangely enough, I know of at least one ex-NTW driver who turned down even the interview with Link, despite not having a definite job organised. He does have another career to fall back on though I suppose.

FatFunny
6th Jun 2008, 06:25
nemesis mk1, I bet you will be happy when everyone accepts your bull.

Employees despise management and the loathing is set to continue. (Despite a feeble attempt to act differently, Tin-Tin.) Every one agrees that Link used to be a good company until JVJ joined. The big blind emperor without clothes. Blissfully ignorant.

On the economical front, my dear nemesis mk1, you clearly have little knowledge about economics. You fail to recognise that the factors mentioned in this threat (alleged bad maintenance, alleged decrease in training abilities, high staff turnover, reduction in staff morale, lower productivity, less experienced staff, alleged illegal activities) are all a result of the business policy. If you couple this with the micro economics of the airline industry and the overall macro economic policy of the country, you can definitely not blame the “masses”. They are the ones trying to stop Link from making big mistakes. When they stop complaining and taking you to task, then you should even be more worried as now the company is happily operating in its dubious framework.

I wonder –the allegations in this threat could imply premeditation and negligence should something go wrong. Would the passenger on a scary flight be able to hold The Investors, JVJ and RF accountable in their personal capacity due to their knowledge that a disaster (or even just an incident) is impending and not doing anything about it? Or will it be the lonely pilot (who did not moan or question authority) left holding the bag of @#$ while seeing the back of JVJ and RF as they run from the scene?

And Vortexgen300, I still don’t know why you’re here since you don’t even work for Link?

Setron
7th Jun 2008, 06:52
suitcaseman:
I dont even know who JVJ is!
BS! everybody knows JVJ! Are you flying around on the dark side of the moon?

Fat Funny:

illegal activities

Lets hear it, but not the usual unfounded stuff!

beechbum:

Totally off topic

Not that far off if you think a little about how the whole thing realy started!
You can blame management untill you are blue (virgin blue?) but then also blame the buddy's from the "Jetstream-Union" at the time!:suspect:
How to piss of your boss in one easy step?
Try to get him thrown into the can!!! Hey?:=
So who started the 3 WW?
The biggest c:mad:ts are gone now.:yuk:

For JVJ,... Isn't it great to have another hate-pet? Who else would be there ? NUV (nemesis mk1)? How long will you ride that dead horse?
Sure you will also find something to moan about that Francois(?)- dude!?

Back to promotion beechbum:;)
Did I see this correct?
Was there an ad about a C-pilot position for Airlink in the newspaper?
Thought they had one already; and a realy pretty one for the first time in their history!
Apparently she did so far an excellent job!?:D
Any current insiders that can give a clear picture on this?

Champagne Lover
8th Jun 2008, 07:32
I notice a lot of 'personal' accusations going on here on this thread. No doubt a lot of pilots against a lot of "wannabe" pilots who didn't make it and now enjoy life by hating and grinding their axes against guys who did make it......Such a shame, wasted talent.
I further wonder if Rf or JVJ or maybe the original 'Bean-Counter' O.P. might be able to shed some light.~ Is parking aircraft due to crew shortages more lucrative than paying your pilots sufficiently to retain them? Oh, I forgot..... even if you DO pay them properly (F.....g pilots), they will leave ANYWAY! Silly me, how could I forget????
Now where are we going to get experienced captains from for the J41? Well, we simply promote the next in line! Experience? Why?? They (experienced captains) just demand more money! So pay the little extra premium to the insurance company for low time captains! It's cheaper than paying an experienced captain. After all, it's all about LOOT. Loot for the company that is. You as a pilot, no loot. I give you a job, be satisfied with that! No loot, no life. But you've got a job. Now you go and be happy with that!

nocandoo
15th Jun 2008, 09:30
Airport reserve:
:=:=:=The crewmemeber is required to report for duty in full uniform with night stop bag. The crewmember is required to sign on and off according to the operational manual. The crewmember may be assigned other company duties during Airport reserve and may only leave the crew area / other duty area with the permission of the OCC Controller or respective area manager.:=:=:=
jvj have your head checked please. The pilots are not going to sit at the airport on an airport reserve at all. Nevermind doing Clair's daughters school projects as so called other company duty(Like the hosties have to). Seriously cant you go and ruin another airline somewhere else and leave us alone. Pleeeeeeeeaaase p:mad: off!!! You have reached your sell by date. It is getting very lame now.

TooBadSoSad
15th Jun 2008, 10:17
Most low-time pilots these days are a bunch of spoilt brats.

What happened to the days when one learnt to fly and pursued an aviation career for the love of flying and aviation.

Now all one sees on Pprune and Avcom are pilots bitching and moaning about their companies and their pay. Brand new flight instructors complain about earning R150 per hour, which is between R12,000 and R15,000 a month at a decent flight school. Then student pilots moan about flight school rates being too expensive. Does a flight school owner not have the right to make a profit?

Then we get to an airline such as Airlink. Pilots are hired into what is a stepping stone airline. RF knows that more than 90% of the pilots joining his airline intend moving on to bigger and better when they have the opportunity. Additionally, RF was hit by 9/11 at the worst possible time, and kudos to him for keeping the airline afloat. And for those who begrudge him for having a B200 and a fancy car, that money came from other sources long before Airlink was started. When you join Airlink you know what type of an operation it is so live with it and deal with it until you move on to your next career position. If you think that you can run the operation better than RF then go meet with him and tell him how you would do it - he is always one to listen, even if he may disagree with you.

As for JVJ, that is probably the worst move RF could have made and the sooner he wakes up to that and gives JVJ the boot, the better!!

Sir Osis of the river
15th Jun 2008, 13:28
TOO BAD,

Well said mate. That is it in a nutshell. Few are willing to "pay the school fees" these days. I come across guys every day who have never flown a piston, except for the first 200hrs of training. If they are not on a jet by the time they have 400hrs, they think their career is over.

RF is entitled to his toys. He has been in aviation longer than a lot of his pilots. ( He still however has a duty to take due care of his employees. )

PS( I met a wide-body, long haul capt the other day, who did not know what a DC3 was?? :sad: Where has the passion for Aviation gone?)

Springbok614
15th Jun 2008, 15:08
Even with all that has been said, I would really love to join Airlink and crack into the airline market! :ok:

Could anyone please tell me,realistically, what the minimum requirements are to join as an F/o? ie. twin time, turbine time, total time. Are they still taking in crew at the moment? Is there alot of applicants?

Thanks!

giarc64
15th Jun 2008, 21:40
I tell you days of our lives and bold and beautiful have nothing on this thread. TV producers should get their script writers to read this lot, would win lots of oscars. Very entertaining stuff , please carry on.:ok:

taxilight
16th Jun 2008, 16:04
A very well written post. Do you think we should just sit back and watch it all go down the tubes. Yes, Link was always a stepping stone, however the recent addition of larger aircraft and pay increases make it a more viable career prospect. The implementation of a carreer path policy also helps in that department. Many brave chaps stood up to management and faught for it. This clown jvj has done more damage to the company than any new recruit could ever imagine. Just the older guys will know how fantastic it was. Anyway, it is fast becomeing a stepping stone judging by the rate people are leaving and planning on leaving. The policies jvj are trying to implement are simply outrageous. But now onto a more pressing matter- jvj can you please take a bath or shower, you really stink! (that is not a figure of speach)

Avi8tor
17th Jun 2008, 20:52
Lets see how RF and JvJ stand up to $139 a barrel.

They operate a 4 engined jet with the largest carbon foot print in its class, also happen to have a 37 seater with the fuel flows of a 50 seater.

In a discussion about 3 yrs ago, RF told me that at $80 a barrel he would be better off giving the 135's back and getting a whole fleet of E170/190, not BAe145's.

I see some doggy dodo hitting the fan sometime soon.

taxilight
18th Jun 2008, 17:29
Now that is another can of worms. This is not the best time to treat the pilots the way JVJ does. The smallest change in flying technique can cost a lot more money than descent crew meals. JVJ just doesn't seem to get the picture. Unhappy crew costs you money!!! Now on top of that he wants to pay the pilots per flying hour. Only JVJ can be that stupid. A leg can very easily lengthen by a few minutes. Flying to the rule is almost istantly guaranteed. Multiply that by the 100 odd legs per month/pilot and JVJ will have proven just how incredibly stupid he really is. Well done. If RF doesn't fire you after that silly descission then you must have some hold on him. PS: Who will the next chief pilot be. What will his/her relation to you be? Will you also interview him/her like you interview the hosties and new pilots. Well done on your wet lease instructors from the UK. Hear that no link instructor is willing to sign the students type ratings. Another clever JVJ move. NON CAA approved training by NON CAA approved instructors. How do you get that one past CAA. Are their training bonds still valid. Wonder what a court of law will say about that one. A real share holders dream you are! RF must be proud!!!:ugh:

Avi8tor
18th Jun 2008, 20:35
PS, a 3 NDB approach into Maritzburg isn't rocket scienceNo its not, but does require the crew to have their digits extracted. :ok:

Hear that no link instructor is willing to sign the students type ratings. I think the fact that they are using UK instructors is not a financial decision. UK instructors will be costing WAY more than using Airlink guys. The issue is, I suspect, that JvJ has NOBODY left to send to do the training!!!

Q4NVS
19th Jun 2008, 05:19
Flying to the rule is almost istantly guaranteed.

When you fly (not only for an Airline), this is what is expected of you..:ugh:

Atleast when this happens, some of your colleagues will stop "Boasting" about how they bust minima's, just to find the BAE146 on the ground, having done the same thing. :\

taxilight
19th Jun 2008, 08:10
A certain syllabus of training is to be followed. The uk instructor does not comply. The guys fly from Mancherster instead. Not a single IFR approach is flown into Pietermaritzburg. The CAA approved training program is not followed. The UK instructor does not have the authority to sign a type rating for the RSA pilot. The RSA instructor did not do the training therfore is not willing to sign a type rating form.The guys only get 6 sim sessions(using eastern airline SOP's and training syllabus) while being bonded for 8. JVJ thumb up his b:mad:! I also believe that the UK instructor will have a high standard. Local knowledge is however of great value. Hope that clears it up! Q4NVS many of Link destinations have published IF approach procedures. A visual approach is almost always used when it is possible. This saves time and fuel which equals MONEY!!!! Perhaps you dont understand the fuel and time implications should the IF procedure always be flown(even in perfectly clear sky days) I am pretty possitive that RF and JVJ will. You must admit, even the sux traulers do visual approaches(be it at crawling speed) into Joburg sometimes. Looking forward to your next invaluable input that seems to be on almost every other thread as well!:yuk:

nemesis mk1
19th Jun 2008, 15:46
The only reason why airlink wants to use wetlease instructors is because they cannot afford to take our instructors offline. (short of crew).

The village idiot threw his toys and said if they are going to use wetlease instructors then "i'm not going to fly with the newcomers, they can use wetlease instructors for that as well"

IOW all the airlink instructors want to resign as instructors and just be line pilots.

simple as that and as childish as that.

Avi8tor
19th Jun 2008, 20:33
That's strange! How do you suppose those Airlink pilots / instructors got rated on the aircraft in the first place? Thats easy. You get an approval from CAA that a foreign TRE can approve a SA DE as its a new type on the register.
simple as that and as childish as that. Not so fast paleface. Now we have a small problem, under part 61, the rules are the rules. Approved syllabus has to be followed, type rating has to be signed off by a DE. The instructor, that does the sim, has to have oversight.

Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework. Must say, not sure I would wanna put my TRI/TRE(DE rating) on the line. What JvJ has to realise is that he is making a series of poor calls and its all coming back to haunt him.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

nemesis mk1
20th Jun 2008, 19:46
That is how it works. You can use wet lease instructors and i think it a good idea. It will help with the crew shortage.

Avi8tor
21st Jun 2008, 05:38
Naturlink pilots recently got signed out on the E145 by Flight Saftey International I am quite sure they did. However, that would have been in the APPROVED Ops manual or APPROVED but the Commisioner beforehand. Most small operators use a vendor for training.

Airlink has done its own training on J41's since SAA cadet group 1 back in the 90's. This was done because the vendor did excactly what taxilight described in his post.

I suspect what happened was a Training Captain (DE) was asked to do the base check AND to to sign off the rating. He finds the new crew had NO idea about Airlink's flows, calls and SOP. He says 'forget it, get somebody else', and rightly so.

It will help with the crew shortage. Yes it does, BUT the REASON for the crew shortage is the very issue in this thread. Its been caused but short sighted management from 2001, initially by RF himself, and now taken to new levels of stupidity by JvJ.

Airlink since '01 has been a one for the text books. How to take an airline for 1st to worst. The next thing is an accident....

techman12
21st Jun 2008, 15:10
:ok:Avi8tor (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=38275) - very nicely put..:ok:

Setron
21st Jun 2008, 16:39
Well? Who will it be?
Just heard that someone from outside got an interview!
Nobody inside of Link up to the job?:ugh:
Is it easier to just leave?
Has everyone of you guys and gals given up and surrendered to the negative sentiment at your club?:{:{:{
So the steam must be really out now!? Is it, that they just don't make'em anymore like in the old days before GPS (or should that say:JVJ?)!?:zzz:

Q4NVS
21st Jun 2008, 17:20
...even the sux traulers do visual approaches(be it at crawling speed) into Joburg sometimes...

Yes and I think you called it: "Flying to the Rule".
(Guess that's why we get a 14th Cheque and you don't...) :oh:

My-oh-my, what an Authority you are. :ugh:
Here's hoping your 14th Post will be more Groundbreaking, Earth-Shattering drivel!

Champagne Lover
21st Jun 2008, 19:55
RF reveals his new 'Ultimate Solution' to his pilot problem- pay (less) by the hour.
Now you will no longer be an airline pilot, but a machine-operator who can be: used/abused now, but in an hours time, sorry, I don't really like you, don't come back here.
You have taken this place to a new depth of disgust, RF. And no, your little ugly fellow you appointed to f..k your pilots is not without your complete blessing!
It has reached a point at Link where ANY other work will be better than trying to bull**** yourself that you are an airline pilot. You will not enjoy Link, and will have no life at all, and your wife/girlfriend is going to leave you for someone who shows a little more concern for their life too. End.