PDA

View Full Version : Embaresed to Ask but aiport catagories?

blue monday
2nd Apr 2008, 15:13
Having aquired all my Knowledge re Flight Ops from the RAF, I am ofay most aviation terms but i can't fathom out what people mean when they discuss Cat a, B, C airfields, google is not helpfull as some arcticles refer to wake turulance, some to SEP, Twins, Medium, Large and heavy aircraft allowed and others advise its to do with runway length and facilities, HELP :ugh:

Lauderdale
2nd Apr 2008, 15:39
Mate check your Ops manuals for the 'ins' and 'outs' but in a nut shell and very basically put:

Cat A = straight forward aerodrome like LGW etc

Cat B = could have terrain obstacles, funny approaches, odd procedures etc like TFS. The flight crew will most likely have to read a brief prior to operating in there.

Cat C = neither A or B, these are the real fun airports like GIB, INN and CMF. You know, the kind of airfield that will give you a near death experience (joke!.........?). The crew will normally have to have a Sim check for this, Cpts only landing etc.

The categorisation process should be detailed in your Ops manual (like Circle to Land details etc etc) - each AO does its own categorisations and should have it all detailed for CAA inspections etc

Take this as a laymans explanation!

blue monday
2nd Apr 2008, 17:30
Thanks Laurderdale, that explanation is fine for me and my knowledge gap :ok:it is something i never came across in 6.5 yrs in the RAF flight ops, and never remember it coming up in trade training for some reason. Work with Bizjets now so does crop up.

dada
7th Apr 2008, 18:53
i'm embaresed for you(r) spelling.