PDA

View Full Version : Latest and Greatest Flying Gear

Munga_3
2nd Apr 2008, 04:45
Hi all,
I've recently been assigned to our squadron projects cell, operating the mighty Iroquois. We explore new and improved ways of doing business for all of our crew members. For example a few of the more recent projects have been: testing and aquiring NVG friendly flashlights, improved cold and wet weather gear for our helictoper crewmen, and a new strop for our rescue hoists.
The purpose of this discussion is to generate chat about what you, as an operator, or members of your crew, have found to be extremely useful during the conduct of your work. Whether it be a particular pocket knife, a pilots kneeboard, a lumbar support roll for those aching backs, an aircraft or system mod; I'd like to know about the little things (or not so little) that make your job easier.
Thanks a lot

Munga

O27PMR
2nd Apr 2008, 08:16
A mug and a kettle:}

Flying Bull
2nd Apr 2008, 09:02
Hi Munga_3,

you have already NVG-torches?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkAlZ08_Wk

other kit for flying?
personal survival (flares/strobes)?
Kind of "Fleecetube" for the throat/neck - didn't find a link - mine is from Jack Wolfskin - great in winter

Greetings Flying Bull

Munga_3
3rd Apr 2008, 04:26
Hi Bull,
thanks for your reply.
Yes we're covered for NVG flashlights thanks.
Our aircraft are fitted standard with a good survival bag and also an assortment of personal survival aids fitted to the mae west of each crew member including strobes, flares and PLB's.
The fleece tube for the neck you mentioned is definitely something I think we could look into as a standard issue item, and defintely from a fire safety perspective, as many of the guys are wearing personally owned items that I suspect are made of synthetic fibres that would shrink and melt onto the victims neck in the event of a fire.
Thanks again.
Munga

A.Agincourt
3rd Apr 2008, 08:53
Munga_3: Considering the Fleece tube thing - I have seen a similar item used by racing drivers and made from fire retardant material in the form of a faceless balaclava such that you pull your head through the face hole using it as a neck roll or - when cold, pull it over the head from the rear of the neck to use as a head and neck cover. Similar to this:

http://www.racewear.co.uk/item.php?item=24

Not expensive either but not sure as to practicality.

Best Wishes

Munga_3
11th Apr 2008, 00:54
That's useful, thanks mate.
Some of the lads have similar items made from merino wool (black of course ;-) We could definitely look into how that sits around the neck seeing as not all are comfortable with having their mouths covered.
Cheers

Blue Rotor Ronin
11th Apr 2008, 09:24
Flying controls...:E
Seriously though, I always carry a couple of heat packs in my goon suit pocket.

Dis-Mystery of Lift
11th Apr 2008, 10:08
Hey Munga,

What make are your mae wests?