PDA

View Full Version : NATO Afghanistan medal

TAC Queen
1st Apr 2008, 13:51
Just wondering
Can we (Brit Mil) wear the ISAF medal??????

I know I could log on to JPA and or call the Pakistan call centre and spend 2 hours on hold but I can’t be bothered.

Thanks
Tac Queen

PS
happy birthday to the RAF and TA.

downsizer
1st Apr 2008, 14:14
No you cannot

AdmiralPiett
1st Apr 2008, 14:17
I wear mine on my pyjama's...

very smart.

Lurking123
1st Apr 2008, 15:11
Why would you want to, not satisfied with your proper one?

Whenurhappy
1st Apr 2008, 17:26
Unless there has been a policy change in the last 24 hours, the ISAF medal cannot be worn - as HM the Queen has gratiously allowed the OSM (with Afghanistan Clasp) to be worn. One campaign does not equal two medals!

vortex-ring
1st Apr 2008, 19:33
I found by leaving it in the box it made a great kiddies rattle!!!!:p

ExJAFAD
2nd Apr 2008, 10:42
As stated by SadamsLoveChild, he is correct just finished same discussion with SWO and Awards people.

If you complete a second tour in the sandpit then you will be able to wear it.

Northern Circuit
2nd Apr 2008, 10:49
would you wear it on the opposite side? I seem to recall that medals presented by HM were to be kept seperate.

StopStart
2nd Apr 2008, 15:22
So assuming i was some sort of medal chasing mutley..... If I was given one of these things for a tour in Afg that didn't qualify me for the UK medal (ie. was just too short to meet the criteria) I could wear it?
Surely if I then did subsequent tours that DID qualify me for the UK medal I should wear only the UK medal?

The Helpful Stacker
2nd Apr 2008, 15:35
As 'Whenurhappy' stated, UK forces are not authorised to wear the NATO Afghanistan medal as we have our own medal issued for Afghanistan.

If you were in-theatre for an insufficient amount of time to qualify for the British issued medal then you don't get to wear one.

Occasional Aviator
2nd Apr 2008, 17:17
I can second that. There is NO entitlement to wear a NATO medal for an Op which the UK awards a medal for - even if you do a second tour.

In a previous tour I became involved with a very similar discussion - a couple of individuals on my unit had deployed to two separate countries on two different dets and were awarded NATO medals for the second, but couldn't wear them as it was all in a theatre covered by a single UK medal.

cobaltfrog
2nd Apr 2008, 19:09
Me thinks said SWO needs a new job!!

faarn
2nd Apr 2008, 20:47
Indeed the above are correct. I have heard you can wear it on Mess Undress as it is not an "official" uniform, however, if you were to wear Mess Dress then you would have to remove it and I guess Harry Black Maskers the ribbon :}.

TAC Queen
3rd Apr 2008, 12:39
Gosh
So just so I understand all the excellent replies

I cannot wear the ISAF medal full stop.
But I can wear it if I have not received the OP Herrick medal.
But I cannot wear the ISAF medal full stop.
But I can wear it if I qualified for the ISAF medal whilst not on the detachment the qualified me for the Op Herrick medal.
But I can wear the ISAF medal if the SWO says I can.
But I cannot wear the ISAF medal if the SWO is an Idiot.

However
I can wear it on my mess dress.
But I’m not allowed to wear it on my mess dress.

Thank god I came to you lot and saved myself talking to the medal cell and getting completely confused.

P.S. how do you qualify to get the ISAF medal as it looks really nice, and apparently can be used as a Childs rattle. Do you get the child with the medal or do you have to apply separately for said child or do you provide your own. Maybe you can sign one out of stores. Would that be clothing stores or barrack stores?

Thanks again:D

Tac Queen:ok:

airborne_artist
3rd Apr 2008, 13:00
P.S. how do you qualify to get the ISAF medal as it looks really nice, and apparently can be used as a Childs rattle. Do you get the child with the medal or do you have to apply separately for said child or do you provide your own. Maybe you can sign one out of stores. Would that be clothing stores or barrack stores?

And if you've been away for more than 40 weeks continuously, and come back and find a child, check it's yours....:E

Lurking123
3rd Apr 2008, 13:06
If I was given one of these things for a tour in Afg that didn't qualify me for the UK medal (ie. was just too short to meet the criteria) I could wear it?

I would sell your story to The Current Bun.

"MoD Picks on Vertically Challenged Troops"

FFP
25th May 2008, 22:43
What is the qualifying criteria for the Afghanistan medal for aircrew flying in and out ?

SirPercyWare-Armitag
26th May 2008, 08:58
In support of some of the above - no, you cannot wear the NATO medal if you have qualified for the UK OSM medal.

This is why the award of additional bars is being considered, to indicate that the holder has been on multiple tours. Just like the old Queen's South Africa medal, which can be seen with several different bars: Majuba Hill, Mafeking, Mboto Gorge etc etc.

cliver029
26th May 2008, 09:07
I suggest you get over to here "http://www.fight4thepjm.org/"
and read the London Gazette part about approval.

Which is different as to whether you agree or not with the principle of the medal in the first place.

Cliver029

VinRouge
26th May 2008, 09:18
FFP, 30 seperate flights in the OAR on different days I believe.